Start by marking “Gentlemen Prefer Nerds” as Want to Read:
Gentlemen Prefer Nerds

Gentlemen Prefer Nerds

Self-professed nerd Maddie Maloney is an expert on jewels. Jewel thieves are another matter entirely! So when a mysterious Englishman warns her that a thief known as The Chameleon is after the rare pink diamond on display in her aunt's shop, she tells herself it's just a joke. Even if she can't get Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome out of her mind...

But Fabian Montgomery doesn't

Published March 12th 2012 by Carina Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Gentlemen Prefer Nerds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gentlemen Prefer Nerds

{This review was originally published on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.}

I should've listened to my instincts that a book titled, Gentlemen Prefer Nerds wouldn't work for me.

However, I was compelled to hit the "request" button on Net Galley when I saw that,

1) It was published by Carina Press, the massively cool e-publisher that's doing a lot of creative things both in what they're publishing and their marketing and DRM-free books;
2) It promised a heist/caper sort of scenario and I am a giant sucker
Sarah Mayberry
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: Joan Kilby is my lovely writing friend, and I had the pleasure of reading this book a couple of times before it made its way to Carina Press. The fact that every time I read it I found it delightful, funny, charming and romantic is one of the many reasons I wanted to write a review. A belated review, because it only just occurred to me that while I had been pimping this book on Twitter and whatnot when it first came out, I stupidly didn't review it here. Not sure where my brain ...more
Katy
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I accidentally requested this book about a year ago from NetGalley because from the title, I thought it was going to be a cute, fun read. But after I read the summary, I realized it just didn't seem as appealing. Well, I decided to give it a try and was left really disappointed.

First of all, Maddie was hardly what I would consider a nerd. Sure, she's a smart gemologist who hadn't really cared too much about appearances, but she wasn't going around acting geeky or being socially awkward. And the
Ruth
This was a nice little caper story, involving a huge diamond, a rather sexy, posh hero and a geeky heroine, provided by netgalley.

I quite like caper-style stories, as long as the plot is good, and this one was. I also liked that not all the loose ends were tied neatly together, and a lot is left open, which gave it a nice feeling. I really liked both the hero and heroine and the setting in Melbourne was a wonderful refreshing change for me. There were two things which bugged me a bit, though (he
Casey
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for Gentlemen Prefer Nerds but it didn't turn out the way I had hoped. But apparently, Joan Kilby and I have different ideas of what a nerd is. The plot was very simplistic and the chemistry between the characters was questionable at best.
Nadine
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not only the title sounds like an hommage to 1950s crime copers, the story has a very old fashioned (in the best sense of the word) theme and feeling about it. Themes like jewel thieves, simple girl meets high society life, yachts, masquerades and the pacing stirr images of old movies with Cary Grant and/or Grace Kelly.

Two men enter the life of geeky Maddie Mahoney, a gemologist and mineralogist, who is working at the jeweler shop of her aunt, who is about to display The Rose, a huge pink diamon
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archive...

I gotta be honest: I am a closet fan of romance novels. I started reading them way back in middle school (the torrid ones with the heaving bosoms on the covers), and while I don’t often read them now, I can certainly appreciate a good one. I’m a hopeless romantic as a direct result of my younger self’s obsession with them!

Gentlemen Prefer Nerds is my first non-YA review on the blog, and as such – I’m a little disappointed that I could only give
Aislynn
Accused of stealing the very diamond she discovered, Maddie finds herself drawn into a world of mystery, intrigue and a sexy British Lord who she can’t keep out of her mind. Can she get the diamond back and clear her name before it disappears completely?

The Chameleon snags the diamond right from under her nose, leaving a synthetic in it’s place. She’s thrown head first into the role of the “thief”! With some help, she manages to get clear of the police and investigators and on the trail of the r
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I just didn't get this book. The title is horrible - doesn't fit the book at all. I guess it was a romance, but there were so few moments of it actually in the book, I wouldn't really classify it as such. I felt like the author was right on the brink of developing chemistry enough to be interesting, but didn't quite get there. I wouldn't call Maddie (the heroine) a true nerd. She may have a PhD in gemology, but that's where her intelligence seems to end. She continually makes ridiculously stupid ...more
Nicole
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had to read this book just because the title really grabbed my attention as well as the bright fun eye catching cover. I was pleasantly surprised because I normally don't like any kind of mystery novels but Gentleman Prefer Nerds was a fun fast easy read that many would enjoy. The main character Maddie is realistic and believable. I loved that the story also had a little romance thrown in as any girl can easily get sucked into that. Great read overall.
Wealie
2.5 🌟 - A 'rom-com crime caper' which fails to deliver on all counts! Lacklustre humour, a failure to ground the plot even remotely in reality and awkward characters with fizzling chemistry you fail to ultimately care about underwhelms on all sides.

Where do I start, to begin with the whole concept of 'Gentlemen prefer nerds' is a bit of a gimmicky token that doesn't match the content of the plot, other than the female protagonist being a gifted gemologist, there's not really much about this stor
Nicola Marsh
If you enjoy capers, you'll have a ball reading Joan Kilby's rollicking fun Gentlemen Prefer Nerds.

From London to Melbourne to Hamilton Island, you'll smile at the antics of nerdy Maddie as she matches wits with the oh-so-sexy Fabian.

Fun!
Anncleire
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“Gentlemen prefer nerds” è capitato per caso nelle letture da fare, la copertina come sempre ha giocato un ruolo fondamentale per farmelo scegliere così come la trama carina e intrigante che è riuscita a vincere le mie resistenze.

Maddie Maloney è una esperta di gemme preziose e mentre conduce la sua PhD lavora nella gioielleria della zia. Maddie ha scoperto un diamante rosa molto raro e prezioso e lo stanno per esporre proprio nella gioielleria. Alcuni giorni prima dell’esposizione Fabien Montgo
Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com
(This review was originally posted at my blog, That Artsy Reader Girl)

I love mysteries with a touch of suspense, and I could tell immediately from the description that I would enjoy this book. What surprised me the most, though, was the comedic element the author threw in. This book was so funny, in addition to being suspenseful and romantic. I had a lot of fun reading this, and am excited to share with you my favorite elements of the book!

1. I love this title! I'm a total nerd, so I was immedi

But Fabian Montgomery doesn't give up easily. H
Rebecca
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
You can also read this review at Reflections on Reading Romance

I’m a big fan of nerds, so when I saw the title to Joan Kilby’s book, I immediately snatched it up. Gentlemen Prefer Nerds features a mild, unassuming woman who becomes entangled in a jewelry heist, thanks to a sexy secret agent. I’m more than a little nerdy myself, so I was rooting for the gemologist heroine, Maddie, to get her man while living the high life of the spy in Australia. While Gentlemen Prefer Nerds is a fun romp, the ro
Mariachiara
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Titolo: Gentlemen prefer nerds
Autore:
Inedito in Italia
Trama: studiosa di gemme australiana lavora in una gioielleria presa di mira da uno strano ladro e un ancora più strano inglese cerca di metterla in guardia.

La mia opinione: carino! Mi è piaciuto. E’ molto semplice a tratti banale, ma mi è piaciuto l’ho letto tutto d’uno fiato. Ha diverse pecche non si può negare, ma la sua freschezza e semplicità lo salvano dal tedio o dalle complicazioni inutili che magari non mi fanno apprezzare libri scri
Sonya
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved that Gentlemen Prefer Nerds is a light read the romance between Maddie and Fabian was sweet, awkward and this book’s saving grace. Maddie’s an unassuming gemologist that gets entangled in a jewelry heist. Which she becomes suspect number one, so in order to prove her innocence and save her aunt’s shop, she follows the spy that warned her about the robbery. To find “the chameleon” the actual robber to get “The Rose” back. I was rooting for Maddie, to get “the rose” back and her man and by ...more
Shelagh (The Word Fiend)
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review from my blog: The Word Fiend

Rating: 8

Review:
I knew I had to read this book the second I saw the title. I loved the idea of a nerd as the heroine in a romance novel and the play on the famous Marilyn Monroe movie is a nice touch. Gentlemen Prefer Nerds lived up to the promise of its title and I was thoroughly charmed by this light-hearted adventure into the world of jewel thieves and cons.

The bright blue and yellow used for Gentlemen Prefer Nerds' cover compliment each other nicely and ser
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Summary:

But Fabian Montgome
Leah
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it

After my disaster of a first experience with chick-lit I was a little hesitant to make another attempt. However, Gentlemen Prefer Nerds sounded like a book that would be right up my alley. Maddie is a gemologist and works at her aunt's jewelry store. While working on her PhD Maddie happened to discover a whopping 28 carat pink diamond and it set the gem world on fire.

The Rose (named after Maddie - Rose being her middle name) is first unveiled to the world
Gaby
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Posted at Oh My Books!

I was really excited when I got this book from NetGalley, I liked the title and I was wondering how that sexy man from the cover fell in love with a nerd.

Maddie Maloney is an expert on jewels and she was the one who discovered the Rose, a heart shaped and pink diamond. The Rose it's going to be on display at her aunt's shop, but a few days before she's warned by sexy Fabian Montgomery that someone is trying to steal it.

Fabian Montgomery has his own reasons to stop the thief
Liza
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
***3.5 out of 5 stars***

I really enjoyed Gentlemen Prefer Nerds a great deal. Maddie Maloney cracked me up. She admits to being a nerd and has no problems with her status as one. She is really much stronger than she gives herself credit for, and proved she was quite capable of being sexy when she wants to be as well.

Fabian Montgomery was a cross between James Bond and Remington Steele (why yes I’m showing my age with that reference, but Pierce Brosnan played both). He kept secrets from Maddie,
Moon Love
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first book by Joan Kilby I've read, and it was a pleasant surprise. It's a romantic caper that left me wanting more. While the original mystery was solved, the person responsible is still at large and the connection between Maddie Maloney and Fabian Montgomery is still shaky. Not to mention the rest of the Maloney family was very entertaining; Al, Connor, and Liam make up the rest of the Maloney family, since Faith, Maddie's mom passed away when she was just a child.

The intrigue is
Linda Baker
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
While browsing netgalley.com the cover of Gentlemen Prefer Nerds popped out at me. I am usually not much into "chick lit" but the description was appealing and I was in the mood for something quick, light and funny.

I was very taken by the Australian setting, as I don't think I have ever read anything set there before now. The writing was good, but I found that the characters and their motivations were not as well developed as I might wish, with the exception of Maddie.The attraction between Madd
Cleffairy Cleffairy
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Reviewed at: Library of Lights
Review date: 27 Feb 2012
Review link: http://mykindaland.com/?p=399

Initially, I thought this book is going to be plain fluff or a chic-lit or a romantic comedy, but I was really wrong. It's not a chic-lit or just a plain fluff. It's better. It's a contemporary romance with loads of thrill.

What's not to love in this book? I have no idea. I, for one love how the story started, and I love how the heroine changed from just a normal, average Jane to a bombshell who thrive
Gina
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Twist and turns, jewels, romance and running from the law, really what is not to love in this story. The set up for the tale in Gentlemen Prefer Nerds is a cute one. We can all benefit from a little bit of passion, high drama and catching the bad guy once and for all!

But I found parts of the story to be a little bit hard to read. I was intrigued by the mystery, and the relationship between Maddie and her father, whom she calls by first name. But the romantic side of this book was a little flat
April the Librarian
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Of course Gentlemen Prefer Nerds, isn't that what many romantic comedies are based on? Maddie Mahoney is a gem expert who has found a pink diamond nicknamed 'The Rose' which is the talk of the gem world. With all that talk the jewel thief can't be far behind.

In struts Fabian - playboy, bad boy or secret agent? When 'The Rose' is stolen, he whisks Maddie away in an attempt to regain the jewel and her reputation. Filled with light romance, family dynamics, humor and action this is a fun caper-roma
Ashley Deniz
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
To be honest I am not really sure what I thought about this book. It was alright, but not one of my favorites.

What does irk me is the lack of an ending. To me this was like a Nicholas Sparks movie where you get a hint of what happened but not a full story. I truely despise those "talk about it" endings. I want a concrete this is how they lived happily ever after ending.

Other than that it was an ok read. Not sure I have ever read a book set in Australia before so that was something new and diffe
Flavia
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Ho richiesto di leggere questo libro perchè ero rimasta colpita dal titolo. Ammetto però che l’ho letto temendo che fosse un po’ la classica storia della nerd che dopo un rapido makeover diventa favolosa e cattura il cuore del belloccio di turno.

Eh sì, sebbene qualche stereotipo tipico sia presente, la storia e i personaggi non sono poi così scontati…

Recensione completa sul blog
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Joan Kilby is the award-winning author of thirty contemporary romance novels. Originally from Canada, Joan studied to be a marine biologist and worked for many years in the field of environmental biology. In mid-life she returned to her first love--writing--and never looked back. These days Joan lives in Melbourne, Australia with her husband and three children. She loves to cook and grows her own ...more