Start by marking “Reclaiming the Dead” as Want to Read:
Reclaiming the Dead

Read Excerpt

Reclaiming the Dead

[Reclaiming the Dead traces the origin] "of vampires in an interpretation of events that is by far the most reasoned--and thus, disturbing--version around. Brotherton's writing far exceeds that of standard vampire fare..."
-Kirkus Reviews

In the small town of Keating, Iowa, the surname Daniels is synonymous with insanity. Recently dumped by his girlfriend and fired from his
Published January 26th 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Reclaiming the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reclaiming the Dead

Start your review of Reclaiming the Dead
James Brotherton
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

[Reclaiming the Dead traces the origin] “of vampires in an interpretation of events that is by far the most reasoned--and thus, disturbing--version around. Brotherton’s writing far exceeds that of standard vampire fare...”

—Kirkus Reviews
Robert Michael
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first part of this story shines. In fact, I envisioned a movie with Kevin James playing Coaler and a younger George Clooney playing Merton, and a cameo role by Steve Buscemi. The vampire could be Christopher Walken. That would be killer (pun intended). The movie would be a classic Coen Brothers film, sort of dark and funny with deep and meaningful themes that are approached in artful and surprising ways.

I was taken aback by the middle section. Not the person that embodies the vampire, but
Valentina
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me in so many ways. I really expected it to be much more the usual vampire fare, but instead I got to read a wonderfully written, unique book, with, yes, vampires.
The main character, Merton, is what really pulls this book together. I loved the transition his character goes through, the depth in change, of every sort, that he struggles with. It is wonderful to see characters that really progress, that end the book different than when they started it. That’s what makes a
Clarry
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
What an original work! Do not pick up this book if you're looking for popculture romance recently associated with creatures that used to be considered, you know, actually scary.
Instead, if you're ready for some hatchet-related gore, sarcastically twisted realities, stark details that leave nothing back (I agree with the review on the back that this style of blatant writing reminds me of Palahniuk), and the most original vampire origin story I have thus heard told (in, if I may say, graphic
Emily
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Emily by: First Reads/Giveaway
First Reads

I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads' Giveaway

I enjoyed this book for the most part. The author, Brotherton, is a clever writer and very talented.

The story didn't seemed forced, and the pace was nice and swift. The whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking how much my brother would enjoy the book. For that matter, most young adult males would probably enjoy the read.

The beginning had me laughing out loud at parts. I thought the banter between the two guys was hilarious.

For
Vicky
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a free book, I won it throug the Goodreads Giveaway!

Definitely an enjoyable read! It does take some guts to create your own vampire mythology when vampires have been a center of interest for so long...especialy when they've been "in vogue" for a few years! And it does take talent to carry it off! Well done, very well done!

It definitely stands appart from all the urban fantasy that have been sprouting everywhere! Some of which I have enjoyed, by the way! In a short novel, not even 200
Ali
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reclaiming the Dead is definately not your usual sugar coated vampire book that seem to be so popular now. It was laugh out loud funny in some parts,dark and scary in others and honestly quite sad throughout.
The book has two main characters. Merton, who has been selected to kill the vampires ( He has no idea why) and an unnamed, evil creature, that I couldn't help feeling for as I read his story. I enjoyed this quite dark story and look forward to reading more by James Patrick Brotherton.
I
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a giveaway. I was very glad I won it because it was a great read. This book is about a guy who is at a low point in his life. he lost his job and his girlfriend dumped him. He just thinks life isnt going to get better, but then his life takes a sudden turn. He is selected to be a vampire hunter. Slowly his life gets better but its still normal. He has to get over some issues and it isnt easy for him.

I loved this book. It isnt your typical vampire book, and thats a good
Jasmin
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book was awesome I really loved it and so will anyone who picks it up. It has great humor and wonderfully written gore scenes were Merton is killing the vampires. It's wonderfull the way the author uses the story of Judas being the first vampire as his basis for how the vampire kind came to be. The whole story is very rich with all the elements the author put into it and all of the characters are very likable, even the vampire because of the great suffering that he endures and only whishes ...more
Cassaundra Aunna
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The weirdest book I have ever read, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I won this book on Goodreads First Reads.
Joshua Flenniken
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is essentially the same review that I posted on Amazon (with a couple of tweaks) but I wanted to take the opportunity to post it here as well.

It is risky for writers to stray from the formulas that make genre fiction successful. More often than not, it fails. After all, the formulas exist for a reason. In Reclaiming the Dead, Brotherton threw the vampire hunter plot formula out the window- and pulled it off. While this book contains the requisite protagonist, antagonist, conflict,
Douglas Lord
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brotherton’s maiden novel is alternately joyous, wise, wicked, creepy, fun, and compelling, and its three distinct parts vary so wildly in tone and mood that you’ll wonder if all this goodness can come from the same writer. The first is a gloriously madcap adventure starring Merton and his BFF, Coaler. Merton is so far down on his luck that he’s been reduced to selling pints of blood. He’s soon mysteriously recruited as a vampire hunter by “The Bureau” which, Merton happily finds out, encourages ...more
Mads Whitmarsh-Jones
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
You could say that this book is an adventure story, following the tried and true ‘unsuspecting, ordinary person gets invited to be an adventurer, goes for it, becomes a badass’ plot. You could say that this is a book about vampires and vampire hunters. But really, this is an awakening story, one about an ordinary man who is shaken out of his stagnant life into motion and, ultimately, to a kind of enlightenment. This is not only a valuable theme, it’s a theme particularly relevant to our time: ...more
mirkka
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first ~50% of Reclaiming the Dead a lot, but then it turned into something completely different and I got distracted. I ended up skipping a lot of pages because it felt like it was an entirely different book I was reading, and I wanted to read the story that I'd been reading for the first 50% of the book. In the end it did go back to how it was in the beginning, but somehow the final part of the book felt disjointed and awkward to me. Perhaps it's because I was so distracted by the ...more
Cptaylor
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall I liked the book, the plot was interesting and the writing style made for an easy read. The book was divided into three sections, and while I understood how the sections tied together, I felt they were somewhat disjointed. The second section told the tale of a different lead character, which resulted in a separation (of the reader) from the main character, Merton. The story of each character could have been developed further to create a series of books, which I definitely would enjoy ...more
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Haylee Tippett
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: first-reads
First thought after reading Reclaiming the Dead....incomplete.
It had pontential, but just never reached that potential.

I was left wondering... 1. why was coaler so willing... 2. What was the voice? 3. The old man and the leaches and whatever... what was the story with that? 4. The church story like so much more was a incomplete story. 5. so much more that irritated me.

I feel like I wasted my time. I hate being so harsh, but it was a failed attempt and I recommend it to none.
Sorcha
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked the way the author wrote with 2 different points of view (two different characters). The style and mood of the two points of views was contrasting enough to kind of set me on edge & that is good because it meant I was kept guessing about what was going to happen. I kind of felt like the end was a bit open ended. I guess I'm being picky, but I just felt like it wasn't as "over" as I wanted the story to be.
Melissa
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
****** I won this book on Goodreads ******

I liked the first 50% of the book but then it changed POV and it threw the rhythm of the book off for me. It was very jarring.

It was an interesting take on vampires and I enjoyed the book's themes of redemption and hope.
Jimmy
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Randomly came across this quick read and came away so pleasantly surprised. Definitely a unique take on vampires/vampire hunting, and more than anything a fun character study. Funny, smart and oddly inspiring. I'll definitely be recommending this one to friends.
Emma