Start by marking “Spirit ” as Want to Read:
Spirit

Spirit

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
It’s hate at first sight when Grant McDowell meets coworker Tristan Wetherby-Hyde. Working-class Grant fought his way up in the world and into a position at Spirit Advertising, and he can’t help but think that Tristan, son of the agency’s homophobic CEO, had everything handed to him on a silver platter.

But their differences aren’t enough to keep their mutual lust in check,
Published March 7th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit

Mandy*reads obsessively*
Grant hates the boss's son Tristan, considers him arrogant and feels looked down upon since he is from the "wrong" side of the tracks.
Tristan knows Grant doesn't like him and the feeling is mutual, and Tristan's father is (of course a homophobic asshat) a powerful force in his life.
But there is instant lust between them. The sex was strange, aggressive and angry.
Fortunately they both grow a bit, and the relationship moves into something better.
Enny
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this enemies-to-lovers so much that for once I didn't even mind that it's written in present tense.
Gabbi

I think the blurb does an excellent job at describing the book. Grant McDowell is an up and coming advertising agent, whose creative ideas aren’t always appreciated by the CEO of the company. When Grant suggests doing an ad with openly gay characters, the homophobic CEO of the company immediately shoots his ideas down. Even when, Tristan, the CEO’s son tries to tell Grant he thought his idea had merit, Grant immediately feels nothing but hate for T
blub
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it

First off I want to say that the story is written kind of awkwardly using a alternating person narrative view (at least that's what I think it was, if you don't know what that is look it up). It's kind of unique but makes reading such a story a bit weird since it's not a style seen too much.

The story itself wasn't too bad but it's not really a typical toad for a HEA love story. (view spoiler)
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Charnel's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

3.5 Stars

Spirit was really hard for me to get into at first. The plot keep me reading because I was almost desperate to see how these too main characters would turn their almost hatred for one another to a relationship. The process of the relationship is interesting to watch, Grant hasn’t liked Tristan from day one simply because he’s the rich kid, the boss’s son; and Tristan can’t stand Grant cocky attitude.

One evening, after being talked down to by Tr
Becky Condit
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars!
I found Ms Friday's writing style unusual in that she writes from the third person POV but in present tense rather than past tense, as most stories are told. For example, "He dries himself with a towel," rather than "He dried himself with a towel." It makes the story seem more like a theater script with stage directions rather than a narrative in book form. It took some getting used to as I read it.
The characters were well developed as individuals but not as a couple. I felt like I w
Librarian Kate
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this - the third-person narrator, sort of an invisible presence observing the action, is new for me and took a bit of getting used to. But the can't-stay-away obsession with someone you want to hate works here rather well; the touch of D/s dynamic is also well done. It's almost like I got pulled in with the MCs and found I liked them, even when I wanted to smack both of them for being so defensive and hiding behind convenient stereotypes. Sometimes it's nice to have a story that revolves ...more
Joanne
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. I loved the enemies to lovers arc. Tristan was my favourite, Although I loved Grant at the end. The first person POV felt a bit strange at first, alternating between Tristan and Grant, but after a little while it seemed very natural. I'd love to read a sequel to this.
Meggie
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The storyline in this short novella was rushed undeveloped, but acceptable. What I didn't enjoy was this writing style. I really dislike this way of writing. I felt like a watcher from a balcony. I couldn't feel the characters or even get them emotionally. This style is to cold and to bland.
Dre
I liked the idea of the story, but it felt very rushed, and I wasn't feeling the connection between Grant and Tristan.
Mateo
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good story, like the hate\love game. My advice, read it.
Tracy's Place
Feelingodd
Apr 27, 2012
Nasia
Apr 24, 2013
P.A. Friday lives in the UK with one partner, one child, and one cat and has a creeping paranoia that she is obsessed with the number one. The only time when "one" cannot be used to describe her, however, is in her writing: she fails dismally to write one sort of thing and, when not writing erotic romance of all sexualities, may be found writing articles on disability, pagan poetry, or science fic ...more
More about P.A. Friday...