Start by marking “Wick (Wick #1)” as Want to Read:
Wick (Wick #1)

Wick (Wick #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  561 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Four tales of men who refuse to be molded... Swordwick is the story of a prince who dares to wield both blade and wick—until he must pretend to be something else for the sake of his sister. Odd Wick tells the tale of a wick of extraordinary genius who wants nothing more than the ordinary Captain serving as his escort. Songwick is the tale of a wick of incredibly rare abili ...more
Published January 13th 2012 by Less Than Three Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Wick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wick

Heller
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, anthology
An interesting fantasy anthology that focuses around Wicks, people who have certain innate abilities that manifest when they are children. It's a interesting fantasy concept these stories focus mainly around one group of men who know each other from the Academy where they were taught to control their power.

Some of the stories worked better for me but they're all nice little bits of fantasy if you're in the mood for a non-contemp MM. One of the best parts of the stories are the familiars that al
Ami
Overall 3.5 stars

This anthology contains 4 short stories about wicks and while not all are on par with Megan Derr's best, I still enjoy most of it...

Swordwick: 3.5 stars

Hollowick is a swordwick and grade five mindwick -- but he must hide his being a swordwick for the sake of his sister that is getting married to the King of Draius. This is the shortest from all four, I think, and the conflict comes from Hollowick's hiding his real identity from his love interest, Fenwick, the King's brother. It'
Qi
Mar 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I expected better from Megan Derr. Instead, we're treated to some hamfisted writing and overwrought plotlines. (view spoiler) ...more
MLE
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
Just the kind of sweet fantasy I expect from this author. While not all of the stories were perfect they were just what I was in the mood for. The name of the familiar in the last story thought, Brightheart, sorry I'm a product of my generation so instead of a bad ass Griffon all I could think of was

description
❂ Endless
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Can I say cheesy?

I think I'll say cheesy...The first one was the best out of the 4...IMO.
For me, the best element of these stories was the world building and the different wicks and their familiars - not how they talked though..."my beloved" or "my melody"...ohh cheesy!

Okay you get the idea, but still, worth a read if you're looking for something sweet. :)
Cole Riann

Another treat to read. Solid Megan Derr.

Swordwick - 4 stars
Odd Wick - 4.5 stars
Song Wick - 4.5 stars
Flamewick - 4.5 stars
Tamara (緑)
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Megan Derr 's books are my drug. Once again she managed to brighten my day with stories about magic and friends and love, perverted unicorns and adorable dragons <3
Deja Dei
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Predictable. Cliche. Some good world building but the cheesy dialogue killed it.
Deeze
Swordwick

A nice enough tale, but I was left slightly confused on the whole “wick” theme. A little more explanation of the different kinds and what the could do and how they were perceived would have been nice for me.

I can't say this was much more that a 2.5 stars read though.

Odd Wick

Now this was much more my taste. Absolutely loved Toki and Harle lol. Roswick and Toki were perfect too, and Waltz just added to the cast.

I love the under dog stories and this one was perfect, except again
blub
Swordwick...
Is a story about Prince Hollowick escorting his sister to a neighboring kingdom so she can meet her betrothed. Hollowick is a swordwick, a wick that is hated, feared and distrusted. Hollowick must hide who he truly is for the sake of his sister's happiness. During his visit at said kingdom he meets Fenwick...what will happen when the truth can't be hidden anymore?

Oddwick...
Tells the story of Hollowick's trusted friend Tokiwick. Tokiwick(Toki) is a genius with the knowledge of several
Teetee
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I accidently started reading Frostwick first and I was thinking as I did that I would love more of this world. The more characters introduced into volume 1.5, the more I realized there probably WAS another book! So I found this one and quit the other midway to begin reading this.

Loved the world building, the familiars especially; naughty unicorns, snarky dragons, patient and loving owls and panthers, and a very supportive Griffin. I liked most of the couples, like the two princes in Swordwick (
Eepa *mm loving bookworm*
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was great collection! There are 4 stories and nice small cast of characters that the stories follow as each one of them finds that perfect other for themselves. It was great to find a collection of short stories/novellas that used the same setting and cast so that you can follow old couples at the same time you get a story for a new one. And also you don't have to try and learn a new world with each story but instead you get a much better overall understanding of the world with every story. ...more
pauliree
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Hmm, not sure about this one. Enjoyed but don't know what to say.
Janice
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, fantastical, uncomplicated read. Highly recommended, especially for a lazy-minded, curl up on the sofa, need to escape kind of day.
Joyce
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved all four stories. Thanks Carey. :)
Josephine
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, abuse, magic, fantasy, angst
Swordwick: ★★★★

Odd Wick: ★★★★

Songwick: ★★

Flamewick: ★★★★
Loves To Dive
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wick is a compilation of four stories each related to the other, and all about men who refuse to be molded or brushed aside. Each story takes place a hundred years after The Great Empire was fractured into 13 kingdoms. Before the fracture, Swordwicks, who are both warrior and wick, were a revered part of the kingdom, now they are considered lower class, and, in some cases, must hide their abilities.

In Swordwick, we meet Prince Hollowick on his way with his sister to meet her betrothed, King Gal
Sofia~
Me gustó el universo, fantasía con personas con poderes y familiares (en forma de animales).

Ahora sí, de las historias, pude terminar 2 cuando iba por la mitad de la 3ra y ya no me dieron ganas de terminarla. --___-- Los protagonistas de las siguientes historias (3 y 4) no me agradaron, so...

La primera historia me gustó hasta que se llegó a la *revelación de la verdad* y [COMIENZAN LOS SPOILERS] pasó lo que pasó. Primero que nada, Holly les salvó la vida al rey y al príncipe, y qué hacen estos?
Delena666
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall I liked the world and some characters (although not all of them), but far less than I usually enjoy her works. All stories (including Frostwick) are in a serious need of at least a proof reader if not a good editor. Other reviewers remarked on missing or wrong words, I want to also point out that there are whole missing sentences and plot bridges. (view spoiler) ...more
Alaska
3.5

On the one hand I liked this book because Megan Derr is a brilliant author and I always love it when she invents new worlds. The wick-world is interesting and I like the idea with the familiars.
But I have to agree with others when they say the four stories are a lot alike. One (or both) character with a very troubled or painful past, alway misunderstandig because they each assume that the other doesn't like him and the familiar being all wise and telling them how they are being stupid and sho
Jeis
Jul 12, 2013 added it
All these stories are charming and pleasant.
Though one of them - Songwick - left me sadly unsatisfied. I just can't see Lyrawick really reconciling with Wenwick after ultimate betrayal that he endured from one person who must and was in the position to protect him from severe abuse. Wenwick's reasons for distancing himself from Lyrawick were so farfetched while Lyrawick's need for help was so great that their reconciliation doesn't work for me. Lyrawick suffered severe trauma that just can't be
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaymance
Just bought it-- yes!! *holes up to read*

------

3.75

Megan Derr does this truly wonderful thing where she plays around with the characters and leads you to believe some characters are "evil" then proving later on that they're not.

Unfortunately in this book, even then, it did not full endear them to me. Maybe it's just because I'm not very fond of the characters in general, but the only stories I fully enjoyed were the first two--

Swordwick

Oddwick

They were a very solid five, but the other stories
Tenny
Sep 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
I like this author, but this book wasn't really my cup of tea. When in first story, it turned out that main hero has a talking black unicorn and his love interest has also a black talking unicorn, I was just like: "Okay, nope, nooooope, abort".
I am sorry, but unicorns add a big level of nope to anything I read. When they are black and communicating telephatically and two of them, it's just... just nope. Too cheesy and cliche for me.
Doesn't mean the book is bad, just... not really my style. I did
Li-li Smith
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Once again Megan Derr outshines herself with this set of four stories. Of the four, Flamewick was my favorite, but I feel that Megan does her best work portraying the hero that tries to save everyone alone. I know others don't agree. The stories as a whole live up to everything else she writes, and I honestly hope that the world is further expanded, as it seems like an interesting one.

If you were hoping for more idea about what the stories included, sorry, I feel that leaving you open to the ex
Magnolia
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, m-f, high-fantasy
From Magnolia Reviews: Three Petals

I have yet to find a book by Megan Derr that I would not recommend and Wick is not the exception. I enjoyed reading it a lot, and especially liked the magical powers the characters used. However, the dozens of glaring spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors made the book difficult to read at times.

Read the full review on Maggie's website: http://magnoliareviews.weebly.com/rev...
Ayanna
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, aaaaaawwww
I actually read this in bits and pieces. I love the universe; it's incredibly fascinating. I like how each set of familiars have their own distinct voices.

It took me forever to get past the first couple of stories, though. I read them and then drifted away and read other stuff, but I finally got myself to read them and I found that I rather liked those characters, too.
Annis
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly charming little universe and set of characters. I actually liked all of the stories and couples. The stories are fluffy and rather shallow when it comes to plot, but they have that 'something' that makes them hard to put down. I'd definitely like to read more in this universe.
waltzy
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, hurt-comfort
(2.5 stars)

My main issue with this anthology was the feeling that, with every single pov character in every story, there was a new self-pitying monologue about how they could never be loved. I usually enjoy Megan Derr's writing, but I did not enjoy this as much as some of her past work.
J.D. Ruskin
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a fun collection. I liked the last two stories the best. There were a lot of characters, but they are all clear voices. However, there were a lot of typos/missing words that made it less enjoyable.
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Seeing is Believing
  • Dracones
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • The Gravemen
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com