Start by marking “La última sirena” as Want to Read:
La última sirena

La última sirena

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,294 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
531 a.d.: Se dice que la diminuta isla de Kell está encantada, habitada por una criatura extraordinaria que consuela a los marineros víctima de naufragio en su paso al otro mundo. El príncipe Aeda de las Islas no cree en semejantes tonterías... hasta que despierta en la isla de Kell y conoce a la sensual sirena que lo rescata del mar.

1721: Ronan MacMhuirich, conde de Kell,
Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Published November 19th 2007 by Via Magna, Valery (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about La última sirena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La última sirena

Barbara
3 Stars...

Goodness where to start?!...It really bothers me when I'm so torn on how to rate a book...Most of the time it's a clear cut rating but every once in a while one throws me for a loop.

This one did.

"The Last Mermaid" is a love story of souls that span the distance of time; from A.D. 531-2004. Both man and mermaid have to remember (without knowing to remember) and "get it right". This is a tricky one to read ladies...there will be NO skimming in this one... If you do, go ahead and expect
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
EDIT....I originally read this book and reviewed it in 2012. Since then I have read it twice and listened to the audio (note - the audio from audible.com is missing 174 pages and I reported it but no response. I loved the audio so just read the missing pages in my book and then continued it). I could do with a little less sex in a book but it is not smutty, but the stories (there are 3 connected stories) are just beautiful. I love legends and stories about the Selkies/Sirens too. 2017 update.

I h
K.K. Summer
This were 3 different storys of mermaids and an ancient legend and a timeless love .. I really liked how it sounded and I really think I got that. The storys went on from 450 A.D. - 2004, and I must say I did not enjoy the last one as much as the rest, but maybe it was because I was missing the medieval and mystical parts.
All in all the stories were well written, however I must say that they were confusing sometimes because the "voices" of the characters sometimes seemd to change within a sente
Collette
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, abe
I thought this was a wonderfully fun, sexy tale that went through three generations of mer people. I couldn't put it down. Abe tells a great story.
K.
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Not a bad book . . . just didn't grab me (as my particular reader tastes go) to finish up. I think this is probably a great read for many other types (less "romance" specific and more fantasy/faiytale type reader). I did make it through two of the three stories revolving around the legend, but then I just got a bit bored of the subject matter since the romance felt pretty much like a back burner to everything else going on.

Final verdict: DNF for me . . . but probably carries much more interest
Paganalexandria
I found this in a stack of my old books that were never read. I never read anything from this author but this was good, but didn't knock me out. I really liked that three complete stories are included in this volume for the price of one. They all take place in different time periods but have a common thread that wraps up in the last volume.

The first story takes place in 531 A.D. and is about a siren of Kell and lost prince. Sirens or mermaids are pretty unique creature in PNR so that was really
Alicia
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, there's 5 hours of my life I'll never get back. This book was stupid. Frankly I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I read it....my kids bought it for me on my kindle (thanks guys) by pushing random buttons....so I read it. The whole thing. It's a romance and it's dumb. Maybe if you're into that kind of stuff you'd like it.

It has 3 sections that are separate stories I think they are supposed to tie together somehow but they didn't quite make it. The middle story was the only one that held
Mojca
The story spanned generations, it was set in Scotland, it told of an eternal love...So what the heck went wrong?

Everything, it seems. I just didn't feel the connection and though I persevered to the "bitter" end, that elusive connection never appeared. Me and the story just didn't click. It had everything to do with the writing style, the pacing, and the "voice". Nothing worked for me, which is a shame since the premise was great.
Catherine
I've been disillusioned about romance novels for quite a while now -- can't seem to find a good one to read. And several people have recommended Shana Abe's stuff. This one was pretty good, but not really my style, I guess. It's very fantasy-ish and lyrical, sometimes to the point that I didn't really get what was going on. It wasn't very grounded in reality -- and it wasn't supposed to be, I suppose. It's three interlinked stories based on an ancient myth, so I guess it makes sense that it was ...more
Kass
Mar 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people into mermaid sex, fishermen, weeki wachee natives
Recommended to Kass by: amazom reviewers
Eeegads, where to begin? I got this book because I was interested in learning more about mermaid literature for a project I'm working on. There really isn't that much mermaid fiction out there to be had. Now I see why. This is a book about the legend of the Siren of Kell and basically has three stories about mermaids or mermen on an island called Kell who fall in love with humans, bring them to the island, and have sex with them. I guess it's a "romance" book and maybe folks who enjoy that genre ...more
Chani
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, romance, mermaid
Although I had not been impressed with Shana Abe's Drakon series, I gave this book a chance, mostly just because of the title and my love for all things mermaid. I was not disappointed. Abe's lovely descriptive writing sucked me in right away. This book is actually a collection of 4 stories based around the same myth/island. I enjoyed the first 3 stories. The last one was a bit... reaching. I think the writer just wanted to go through all the era's from past to present. But I still enjoyed the r ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Mermaids are one of my favourite mythical creatures. This is due to my absolute fascination with the ocean and love of scuba diving. I love being in water. Mermaids who can breathe underwater is my ultimate fantasy I'd love to be. In this anthology from Ms. Abe, we are treated to a lovely 3 stories regarding the island of Kell. Ms. Abe does another excellent job of weaving her spell over me. I'm captivated and left yearning to be a mermaid.
Tory
Nov 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Duh. He was a descendant of the siren but she was the mermaid? I don't know why I do this to myself. But it's not like I'll stop. Trash novels have a certain appeal, even though they're... well, trash.
Melissa
This is what I get for trying a book based on description and not reading reviews. I only got about 4 disks in when it became obvious that the main reason for any sort of plot was to take the characters from sex act to sex act. I am not prude, but I do like a little story in my story.
I placed a hold on this through my library, though I couldn't see the cover or the back very well on the website. It turned out to be a really bad romance novel, not the story about mermaids that I was hoping for. Luckily it was obvious from the first few pages, and I returned it quickly.
Ashley-Anne
Jun 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy
this was super slow and yet too fast. I really don't like short stories, how can people fall in love in a few hours or 2 days? The writing was very pretty and some of the descriptions were magical, but I reeeeally didn't care about the story.
Jynt
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-it
Ronan and Leila. The OTP of this book. Lovely. Also, I do believe that Shana Abe is the only author I've read so far that makes insta-love so alluring. Mad props.
Renee
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book. I absolutely loved it. I read it years ago for the first time and I could read it over and over again. Fantastic detail, story line, and unique characters. An amazing book.
Mandy France
Apr 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was terrible. If I ever need to know how to have sex with a mermaid, I will pick up this book.
Ladyvixen
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
C'est franchement pas bon du tout :-(((((

je comprend pas dans quoi l'auteur s'est perdue mais de toute évidence elle a jamais retrouvé son chemin.
Jess
Started off magnificently, but the stories progressively got worse as I read on. :(
Mikayla Elliot
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful story to read, I truly appreciated the different lives that her characters experienced and I was able to endure with them through. One element near the end threw me off, made it a little difficult for me to enjoy the follow through. It wasn't necessarily bad, but for me it took me out of the element of the characters.
Cham Perez
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Zara West
This is one of my favorite books. Three separate stories trace the history of the last mermaid and her offspring. There is a lyrical quality to the telling and a unique trio of lovers. If you love fantasy and fine writing, this book is for you.
Angie
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, read-2013
Mermaids are far from my favorite mythological being in novels, but I was hoping an adult romance novel would change my mind about the genre. While I did enjoy The Last Mermaid, it failed to wow me, and it didn't present anything new about mermaids/sirens. It sticks pretty close to the classic mythology, which is fine, but not altogether interesting and engaging. The Last Mermaid actually contains three separate love stories spanning from ancient times to modern, all linked together by the tale ...more
Kerstin
"The Last Mermaid" enthält drei separate Liebesgeschichten, die in verschiedenen Zeitperioden spielen und sehr unterschiedliche Charaktere zusammenführen, aber es gibt auch einen klaren roten Faden - die mythische Insel Kell und den verzweifelten Fluch, den eine Sirene mit gebrochenem Herzen ausgestoßen hat.

In der ersten Geschichte geht es um Aedan, den Thronerben, der beinahe ertrinkt, und die Sirene Ione, die ihn rettet und zu sich auf die Insel Kell bringt. Diese Geschichte fand ich wundersch
Margaret Hardie
Carrie Felton
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story!

Shana Abe is the most amazing storyteller. She transforms wonderful myths into beautiful stories. I wasn't sure about this book at first, with its length and the three stories woven together but it was extremely satisfying in the end. The ending was surprising and lovely, with the role changes and the full circle connections that they make. It really was amazing.
The way that the stories are set up, you get the legend, a very early, medieval continuation of the myth and the curse.
Jules Wan
.....Three spins my curse I give,
The will to change, the hope to live.
Six lives shall come to be,
To end this spell, to set me free:
King's kiss to siren death, a soul retrieved;
Child of the sea unveiled, belov'd of his enemy;
Twin spirits lost, returned, to complete this destiny.
So say I.so mote it be
------
Thus the legend begins ....
531ad: Prince Aedan falls for Ione, the siren who rescued him from sure death- but he has his duty and must return to his people. How will Ione continue to prot
Thea Liwanag
I intentionally ignored this book and kept myself from reading it for a very long time. Yes, I have forever been fascinated by mermaids and the continuous speculations on their existence. Yes, I found the book's blurb quite catching but apparently not enough for me to have started it right away.

As I ran out of interesting books to read, I decided to open the pages of this book. You see, the beauty of being always preoccupied is forgetting the blurb. How is this a beauty? Simple. By forgetting th
  • A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1)
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • Sea Witch (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Mermaid's Song
  • In Over Her Head (Tritone Trilogy, #1)
  • In Great Waters
  • The Selkie  (Sea Fey Book 2)
  • Mermaid Tales from Around the World
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Fins
  • Antara (Antara, #1)
  • Beyond the Sea (Shades of the Sea, #1)
  • Mermaid Park
  • Seven Tears Into the Sea
  • Home to the Sea
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • Mermaid
Shana Abé was born in Texas. She spent much of her childhood living in Colorado, with a brief stint in Mexico as a foreign exchange student, and, at age seventeen, lived in Japan as a model. Throughout her childhood, Abé wrote, completing what she calls "The Silliest Romance Novel Ever" during her free time during modeling shoots. Her writing focused on romance, as those were the types of books th ...more
More about Shana Abe...