Start by marking “Return of the Ancients (The Valkeryn Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Return of the Ancients (The Valkeryn Chronicles, #1)

Return of the Ancients

(The Valkeryn Chronicles #1)

Return of the Ancients — the Valkeryn Chronicles Book 1, is the first of a three part series and tells the story of a future world of great beauty and great horrors, and of two races who have fought a war for an eternity.

Arnold ‘Arn’ Singer an average teenager living in Illinois is thrown forward into this world and finds he is the last human alive. The land is populated
Kindle Edition
Published February 15th 2012 by Greig Beck (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Ancients, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Ancients

Start your review of Return of the Ancients (The Valkeryn Chronicles, #1)
Jonathan Wilson
4.5 Stars
Jean Sparrow
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
Time travel, tunnels with slimy things hiding in the dark, desert wastelands with giant bleached bones, and then a land populated by creatures that have evolved to be the new rulers of Earth – where was the kitchen sink?

This is Greig Becks first foray into fiction/fantasy, and I’m glad to see he hasn’t totally ignored all the things that make his books fun – some frightening elements, the humor, and the big action and adventure. The world Beck creates is one of wonder – from tiny vampire worms,
Scotty
Mar 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not to be harsh, but those reviews below mine sound like planted reviews. When I worked for a hotel, my boss would do that. He'd go on travel websites and plant glowing reviews...problem is, they sounded fake. As do these 5 star reviews.

I had a hard time putting my finger on the intended audience. The main character is in his teens, but he and his classmates act like early middle schoolers. The wolf humanoids reminded me so much of furries that I literally groaned out loud when I came to their i
Anika Claire
Review originally posted on The Oaken Bookcase on July 21, 2012.

Arnold Singer, or “Arn” to his friends, is thrown forward in time after an accident during a school trip to a government scientific facility. In this strange future world, humans have been replaced by the honourable Wolfen, an evolved species of dog. The Wolfen lands are under attack from the evil Panterran, an evolved race of cats. There are plenty of other horrors in this world, but Arn’s quest to find out what happened to the hum
Cate Sommers
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was really hesitant about buying this book, seeing I’m not a big fan of Young Adult stuff. But I have been a reader of Jeremy Robinson, Boyd, Konrad and especially Greig Beck for years. Thank heavens i did, as this book surprised and delighted me – it had plenty of science in the form of a young man being ripped out of a lab and shot into the future here he finds that mankind has disappeared. Wolf like beings now rule and are in a constant war with the viscous panterrans.
Greig Beck is known fo
Neil
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a definite step away from the normal Greig Beck books that I have been reading just recently. Supposedly it has been aimed at the young adult market, and the language and situations have been toned down accordingly. Having said that I do have to admit to enjoying this book, even though it reminds me of bits and pieces from several other similar works.
I thought that the characters were a little underdeveloped, but I guess when you are writing fantasy there are so many other things to
Dan Barbier
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fantasy reader. I love Greig Beck's books. This is a Greig Beck fantasy novel. I liked it a lot, enough to buy the sequel, The Dark Lands. The reason I don't like fantasy novels, is that I sometimes I have difficulty with a complete new universe and believing in it. Not so with this one. The hero is a teen from our time , so we see this world from his perspective and it helps understand and imagine the universe he's getting pushed into. A great read and great characters, humans and cre ...more
Thomas E.
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Valkeryn is an epic story by Greig Beck. It has just about everything in it you can imagine and you will want to crave more, which is good because the author will be providing more to satisfy your cravings. Greig has this wonderful knack of developing characters with great depth and his character dialogs are exceptional. This is one of the finest reads I have enjoyed in the scifi/fantasy genre in a long time. This is a must read epic tale.
Geoff
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure, with the only problem being that it wasn't long enough. Very, very well-written, with a great mythos building already. Believable characters, and very well-paced. Greig Beck is going from strength to strength.
Now, to wait for the sequel, out toward the end of the year...
4.5 out of 5 stars!
Amanda J Spedding
Loved it! Excellent, excellent story!

Return of the Ancients is a fast-paced, action-packed story that grips the reader and doesn’t let go.

See full review here: http://amandajspedding.com/2015/10/03...
Andre
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is very different from Greg's other works and after reading it twice (I didn't really get into it the first time) it kinda grew on me. I will surely be checking out volume two when it comes out. ...more
Rick
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I am a serial reader of Greig Beck and his stories. I put this off because it was YA. Curious, I read some of the reviews and I am glad I did. Great little story about a teenager that gets whisked away to a faraway time and place full of creatures very unlike himself. Great story that is tied into the medieval/Viking culture. The bad thing is that it is two books and the second is not available on Kindle. I ordered a paperback......booohooo.
daren oppenheimer
Great book

It got me hooked from the start and I read through the night to finish it. Well written and a roller coaster of fun
Barry Simiana
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and adults alike
Have just finished this, the new series by a great Aussie writer Greig Beck. I like this guys writing. He researches well in his other series and uses some obscure facts to construct a good story. In this new YA series, he has used his imagination to create a new world to play in. For adults it's a little too easy, a lot of the hints hidden in the narrative are a little too obvious, but for boys (and girls) at that 12-14 year old age group, they are going to love the little surprises hidden. I'l ...more
Amarzyciel
dang,cliff hanger!!!
been a while since there is a cliff hanger in the climax, usually it ended after the arc finished.

it's killing all those build up excitement that I have that it's about to burst out when the climax start to rise and it to be continued...

feels like a when it's rising then cut right out to 0.
really mood killer there.

====
i am not good with writing good review (I finish reading and even want more,so it's good for me,since I am a daily book dropper)
so i will just let other write
Red
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, sci-fi
*Won from a Goodreads Giveaway*

Having not read a book by Greig Beck, I wasn't sure what to expect going into this novel. What a pleasant surprise it was to find a fresh new perspective on nuclear warfare, evolution, and wormholes in space! Overall, I would give the story line a 5 star rating but the actual fleshing of the written work I would give a 4 star rating. I didn't necessarily like how the college aged students seemed more akin to high schoolers through verbiage and actions.

And what a c
Suzanne Rooyen
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a tricky one. Given the age of the MC, the book is meant to be YA. However, it reads more like MG. As YA it leaves something to be desired but it's pretty good science fantasy for middle grade readers.

YA readers will probably be disappointed, wanting something a little more sophisticated, but MG readers will probably love the strange Norse-inspired world of wolf hybrids and other monsters.
Joe Soup
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greig-beck
Greig Beck

Love this guys work. If you love fast pace action with twists that can come from anywhere from Jurassic to aliens and Indiana jones to omega man then you will love this guys stories .
Tan Kit Hoong
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sci Fi fantasy

Greig Beck's Valkeryn chronicles mixes a bit of credible Sci Fi with a fantasy story and on the whole it works. The first book in the series is entertaining thanks to Beck's writing style which keeps things moving along at a good pace.
James Chastain
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely amazing story telling. Wolves turned sentient, men becoming less than men. Hard Scifi with amazing thrills and chills of the natural kind throughout make this a favorite of mine.

Book 2 carries over the theme beautifully and to finish it is to want more. MORE please Mr. Beck.
Mark Carl
Not as good as Grieg Beck's other works, but the premise has peeked my interest and I look forward to continuing to read the series. ...more
John Vicars
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
And unique and intriquing book. Like all his other books I sat riveted through reading it.
Camilla Almenfors
Could very well fit in for younger readers that like adventure .Easy to read and again he draws you in to an " ancient long forgotten world that´s in the future". ...more
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Jul 21, 2020
Michael
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Operation: Siberia (S-Squad #3)
  • Operation: Loch Ness (S-Squad #5)
  • Operation: North Sea (S-Squad #10)
  • The Anaconda of Z
  • Infestation (S-Squad #1)
  • Occupied Earth (The Sequel to First Encounter) (Ascension Wars Book 2)
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • The Mendel Paradox (Harvey Bennett #9)
  • Primordial Island
  • Elsewhere
  • Operation Antarctica (S-Squad #2)
  • Operation Congo (S-Squad #9)
  • Operation Mongolia (S-Squad #8)
  • The Snow
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • Operation Syria (S-Squad #6)
  • Operation: Amazon (S-Squad #4)
  • Earthcore
Hi GoodReaders, I’m an Australian author residing in Sydney with my wife, son and oversized German Shepherd we rescued named Leyla. My novels are now available globally, also in Large Print and now in full AUDIO format.

I grew up spending my days surfing at Bondi Beach before entering a career in Information technology which took me around the world. After completing an MBA, i was appointed both an

The Valkeryn Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Dark Lands (The Valkeryn Chronicles, #2)