Start by marking “Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty” as Want to Read:
Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty

Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty

On October 25, 2010, Staff Sergeant Salvatore Giunta became the first living person since the Vietnam War to receive the United States’ highest military decoration, and both he and Sergeant Leroy Petry (the second inductee) rightly take their place in the pages of this third edition of Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty. The book includes 144 contem ...more
Published November 11th 2003 by Artisan (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Medal of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medal of Honor

Start your review of Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty
Pamela
Mere words cannot express how hauntingly beautiful, powerful, humbling, and reverentially impacting this collection of essays and photographs are, honoring the Medal of Honor recipients (living at the time of original publication) from WWII thru the Vietnam War.

Humble, courageous, valiant men, all....

"The Medal of Honor recipients in this volume are of all ages, ethnic backgrounds and creeds - volunteers, draftees, officers, and enlisted men; pilots, foot soldiers (the vast majority), and sailo
Mark Fallon
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me about how much we owe the men and women in uniform who fight for us. Reading about the selfless acts of these men was both humbling and inspiring.

Forget about standardized tests, this book should be mandatory reading for every high school senior.
Aaron Sieben
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful look at the many heroic deeds and variety of men who gave their last full measure of devotion to their country. Even though this book is about the men that survived to receive the MOH, the reader never loses sight of the reality that most recipients of the medal receive it posthumously. It’s truly awe-inspiring with specific individual stories, but there’s a meditative quality about what courage, sacrifice, honor, and patriotism really mean. As it says in the book, “thei ...more
Lee
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, history, us-history
This book covers and tells the story of all the living Medal of Honor winners, some of them passed away while the book was being worked on. Each recipient is given 2 pages, 1 written telling of how they earned the medal and the other page is photographs usually a current one and one from when they received the medal. All in all a good book but obviously many could have been given more than a single page.
Joe Rodeck
The creation and evolution of the Medal of Honor is good solid fun American history. The dozens of mini-bios are more like something you'd see in an encyclopedia--better for war historians or relatives.
Dacy Briggs
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! Really enjoyed reading about the different stories and the bravery displayed by each man.
Jonathan
May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-warfare
I liked it, but I couldnt help feeling it couldve been more. While it recounts their deployments and the actions that earned them the MoH its not too personal. The storytelling isnt very personal either, would have been much more poignant if the vets themselves recounted their own stories. The portraits however were excellent.
dbbks3
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Each of these stories touches the heart. Each could be it's own book and some have been. Each is an inspiration. I hesitate to point out one over all the others, but the story of Tibor Rubin made me cry. What a story! If you saw this story in a movie you would not believe it.
Read these stories of sacrifice, courage and commitment.
Allison
Jul 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, okay, I had to read this book for work, and truth be told, I probably wouldn't know about it if it weren't for my job. Having said that, I'm so glad I did. The stories are short and succinct, and the portraits are life-alteringly beautiful. This would be a great gift for any member of the Greatest Generation, or any family member who has served in the military.
Arapahoe Libraries
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A beautiful and detailed book about 116 winners of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Full of wonderful portraits of then and now as well as an accounting of the heroic stories that led to the awarding of each medal. Moving and inspiring, a must read for any history buff! I LOVE this book and the other stories about MOH winners!
Timothy Boyd
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a retired military man this book had special meaning as I read it. If you read this and still don't understand the sacrifice our military men make then you are living in the wrong country. Ever high school senior should read this book to understand where they live and what they have been given. My highest recommendation
Mary
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable courage, heroes every one. Amazing stories, well earned honors. God Bless them all.
Wendy
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing photos and interesting information. Wow... we have no idea what people go through to defend our country!
Christopher
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic review of the MOH winners.
Debbie
Jan 02, 2016
Eric Blittle
Aug 01, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Undaunted Valor: Medal of Honor (Undaunted Valor #2)
  • Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)
  • Violence of Action: The Untold Stories of the 75th Ranger Regiment in the War on Terror
  • Catherine House
  • Run! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss
  • Murder in Greenwich
  • Smashwords Book Marketing Guide
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
  • The Known World
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • My Viet Nam 1968 - 1969
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Call of Duty: The Sterling Nobility of Robert E. Lee
  • American Dreamer: How I Escaped Communist Vietnam and Built a Successful Life in America
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
  • Innocence (Tales of Olympus, #1)
Founder of Encounter Books in California, Collier was publisher from 1998-2005. He co-founded the Center for the Study of Popular Culture with David Horowitz. Collier wrote many books and articles with Horowitz. Collier worked on the website FrontpageMag. He was an organizer of Second Thoughts conferences for leftists who have moved right.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodre