Start by marking “A Cleansing of Souls” as Want to Read:
A Cleansing of Souls

A Cleansing of Souls

"Tom Spanner is stuck in a mundane job and haunted by memories of his dead baby brother, Little Norman. Unable to deal with his loss, he leaves for Big Town.

Decades earlier, Michael Parrish wakes up in bed with his fourteen-year-old sister, Jennifer. He is seventeen years old. She is fourteen and dead. And he can't stop grinning.

When Tom makes his way to Big Town, these tw
Kindle Edition, 2
Published February 13th 2012 (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Cleansing of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cleansing of Souls

Louise
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Darren Sant
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Cleansing Of Souls is an unusual novel. The setting is both grounded and real but also magical and ethereal. Ayris seems to possess a magic looking glass. He presents the reader with everyday situations and then shows the truth behind them. This draws you in and you find his insights FEEL right. Ayris deals with subjects such as loneliness, regret, unrequited love, mental illness with tenderness and indeed wisdom.

A book about never losing a moment of this precious thing we call life. Other aut
Kate
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book takes you on an emotional journey. I love Stuart Ayris' style of writing. The way in which he deals with socially challenging issues in both this book and Tollesbury Time Forever, in seemingly effortless ways makes me, as a social psychologist, want to take my hat off to him and bow at his feet. Simply wonderful.
Emma
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I have just put this book down and really don't know how to put in to words how I feel about it. It is probably one of the most powerful books I have ever read!
The author has an amazing way with words and I took my time with the book in order to savour it, I did not want to finish it. It was a very emotional read and is something that is going to stay with me for a very long time.
This is the second book I have read by Stuart Ayris and both are up there now with my all-time favourites.
Aunty Janet
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The is a beautifully written account of loss and psychiatric breakdown. Painful to read at times, but always with gorgeous prose. You are drawn into the world of the characters and their distress, sometimes reaching a resolution, and sometimes not.
I heartily recommend this book, not for a comfortable read, but for a breathless literary experience.
Bev
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous.... A truly compelling novel which I found myself lost in from beginning to end. Beautifully written, captivating and heartwarming. Stuart's style of writing makes you feel a part of the book, and you do not want the story to end. Another masterpiece from this brilliant author.
TonyQ
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Again Stuart has delivered! The psychological stuff is not normally my thing but loved it again! Especially the connection with young and old - excellent!
Linda Prather
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This author has a style that both amazed and delighted me.
Mago (Mark)
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Stuart for a wonderful read.
As a 50yr old man, it is some time since I have cried tears of joy.
Mo
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a sad gentle book about damaged people. Mental illness can hit us all but the people in this book have had traumatic events which disturbed them so much. It takes a special kind of person to verbalise the inner minds of the disturbed and Stuart manages this brilliantly.It was a pleasure to read.
Vic Heaney
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another outstanding book by a brilliant new writer.

Keep your eyes on Stuart Ayris. He is going places.
Philip (sarah) Willis
Lisa
May 02, 2013
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
Dec 06, 2012
I was born in the Summer of 1969 in Dagenham, just on the border of East London. School was largely unproductive so his early adult years were spent putting up stalls at Romford Market, working in a record shop, gardening and road sweeping.

After resigning from an insurance company to play in a band, I found myself unemployed for two years in the early nineties. It was during this time, at the age