Start by marking “What Is Reading For?” as Want to Read:
What Is Reading For?

What Is Reading For?

4.59  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
“Reading could have a rich and interesting future, because it does have a rich and interesting past. But if no one remembers that past, it may not mean much to the future.”

This succinct and thoughtful essay is the text of a talk commissioned for a symposium entitled The Future of Reading which was held at RIT in June 2010. Written and designed by Robert Bringhurst, this li
Softcover, 40 pages
Published December 2011 by RIT Cary Graphic Arts (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about What Is Reading For?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is Reading For?

J.S. Graustein
My mentor suggested I read this book while on a retreat. He said it would help rejuvenate my creative spirit and help me guide my press into its fifth year printing books and chapbooks. He wasn't wrong. Bringhurst's lecture-turned-artifact is a feast for the eyes, hands, and mind. I especially enjoyed his comparison of books to ecosystems and agriculture, having grown up in farming communities and being trained as an ecologist. I read this book quickly. I read it slowly. I read it and took notes ...more
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautifully-crafted book with a beautiful message: books, reading, will always be with us, no matter what form. “Real reading and writing take place on the margins of empires,” Bringhurst writes. “That’s just how it is. You read the books, if you want to read them, however you can. And we do.” Layered with meaning and intent, not only in words but in its presentation, this treasure of a book, appeals to the fiber of who I am—reader, writer, designer, artist. If you are like-minded, you must ha ...more
Michelle
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winter2015
I happened to read this book right after watching The Name of the Rose. Compared to the ornate hidebound tomes etched in golden ink locked up in a tower, I'd rather have my kindle tucked in my pocket everywhere I go. At the same time, I really need to get back my hard copy of Mrs. Dalloway peppered with glittery highlights...
Alyson Hagy
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bringhurst is always thoughtful and learned. But this book is such a beautiful example of his devotion to language and design that it deserves 5 stars and more. The lecture is provocative. And it presents those of us on the cusp of an ebook world with some sharp questions. The book -- its papers, its type, its layout -- is so lovely it will make your heart ache.
Eric Fredricksen
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good lecture turned into a pretty good book.
C.D.
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A typographer and poet’s lucid and insightful take on the paper vs. digital debate. He seems free from the trappings of both nostalgia and naive futurism which clog up the thinking in this debate.
Alexander Charchar
Cindy
Sep 21, 2014
Roisin
Oct 10, 2014
Robert Bringhurst is a Canadian poet, typographer and author. He is the author of The Elements of Typographic Style – a reference book of typefaces, glyphs and the visual and geometric arrangement of type. He has also translated works of epic poetry from Haida mythology into English.

He lives on Quadra Island, near Campbell River, British Columbia (approximately 170 km northwest of Vancouver).
More about Robert Bringhurst