Start by marking “Severed” as Want to Read:
Severed

Severed

Eisner Award winner SCOTT SNYDER (Batman, Swamp Thing, American Vampire), Scott Tuft & NYT Best-Selling-Artist Attila Futaki (The Lightning Thief) bring you the complete collected hardcover of the scariest horror comic of the year, SEVERED.

1916. A man haunts the roads; a man with sharp teeth and a hunger for flesh. When 12 year-old Jack Garron runs away from home, he'l
Published April 11th 2012 by Image Comics (first published August 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Severed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Severed

Anne
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Boys who don't appreciate their mothers
Been hankering for a comic where a paranormal serial killer cannibalizes kids?
Awww, yeah. Then, boy oh boy, do I ever have the comic for you!

description

You wanna know what made this work for me?
Well, I'm going to tell you anyway.
It opens with an old man getting a note/letter from someone which prompts him to run outside, and then he begins retelling the story of the thing that took his arm when he was a child. You might think that by letting you know right off the bat that a) the kid in the story survives
Jan Philipzig
Scott Snyder is no hack. His stories are carefully mapped out, his characters developed with purpose and patience, his dialogues competently written (if a bit clichéd in places). He generally knows how to set a mood, how to transition from one scene to the next, how to create effective cliffhangers. All this is evident in Severed, Snyder’s stand-alone horror-suspense story set in 1916, and it is even complimented with appropriately dark, realistically rendered artwork by Attila Futaki.

And yet Se
Lono
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
description

Gotta give a shout-out to Kat for providing these friggin' awesome banners for our shallow comic buddy-reads. You just keep killin'it home-girl.

description

Well, not my favorite Scott Snyder book. I’m sure not being a “horror” guy didn’t help. Just not my bag. But it was still a decent read and overall I enjoyed it. Scott Snyder and Scott Tuft put their own spin on the serial killer genre with this one. Severed did have some genuine tension in a scene involving a bear trap and, like Mike, the beginning of c
K
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice artwork, good story but far too predictable ending.
Fabian
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Creepily cinematic, "Severed" tells the story that any capable filmmaker could translate successfully unto the silver screen. But... why would he? It's all been seen & done before. Perhaps the intimacy created between the monster and the runaway could equal more than just what we have here... But actually it's nonetheless a ruthless yarn in which instances of foreboding are robust, and the reader's sense of irony (an animal's carcass & bones on a plate, a shadow upon a character's thin, ...more
Artemy
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remember a time when Scott Snyder could actually write great comics, and Image published something other than bland dystopian sci-fi with a political agenda almost exclusively? Well, Severed is a comic from that magical time. Set in 1916 America, it tells the story of a 12 year-old Jack, an orphan who runs away from his adoptive home to chase the dream of playing the fiddle with his birth father. Little did he know that the road ahead of him is going to be full of horrors...

Severed is absolutely
Gianfranco Mancini
3,5 stars
Scary, disturbing and the single issues covers are just amazing, but the story is not much original at all.

Leah
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Another book where I wish Goodreads allowed for 1/2 stars. I liked this book a lot, and sometimes I think 3 star ratings are viewed negatively here. But, this is a good book ya'll!

It wasn't as scary as the front cover blurbs would have you believe, but it definitely had some horrific elements, and I really liked following Jack's tale.

He was a likeable(ish), naive(ish), and friendly(ish) character. And he was also younger (12) than most characters I read and made some seriously foolish decisions
Mike
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first thing that struck me was the mood this book sets. Between the sparse narration (explicit foreshadowing), the relative innocence of the young characters and the painted, rich look of the art, it's hard not to get immersed in an old-timey (not Powell's The Goon, more like Norman Rockwell), relaxed atmosphere.

I first encountered Snyder with Iron Man Noir, and I thought he was being entirely too clever for himself there. In this book, the writing voice seems entirely natural and consistent
Sam Quixote
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
America, 1916, and 13 year old Jack Garron is running away from his adopted mother’s home in search of his biological father, a fiddler who abandoned him as a baby. But there is a monster in a suit, the Nightmare, who is stalking him as he stalks all children he wants to eat and Jack is next up on the menu...

Scott Snyder steps out of DC and teams up with long-time friend Scott Tuft and artist extraordinaire Attilla Futaki to craft a riveting horror story set on the lonely roads and abandoned co
Javier Muñoz
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Severed, ambientada en los estados unidos de principios de siglo, cuenta la historia de Jack Garron, un niño de 12 años que se entera de que es adoptado y se escapa de casa para buscar a su padre y ganarse la vida como violinista junto a él... pero el mundo real es muy distinto a como se lo imagina y descubrirá el verdadero terror en su camino.

Similar en su estructura a los viejos cuentos con moraleja que se contaba a los niños para que no hablaran con extraños, no se alejaran de casa, etc... pe
Garrett
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scott Snyder certainly does horror comics well, and this is no exception to that. It’s a disturbingly creepy sort of southern gothic comic about a serial killer who cannibalizes children. And at the same time it also manages to be a good coming of age story.
Alex Scales
Dec 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comiiixwoo
Here's a prime example of the sort of shit I hate in comics: The generic, by-the-numbers script, with the same old horror tropes and no attempt to break from them, illustrated by a competent artist that doesn't even get enough chances at showing off his talent. But hey, it's Scott Snyder, so of course the guys down at the comic shop love to sing hymns and sacrifice goats over this one since HE CAN DO NO WRONG. The final result is an incredibly safe comic that doesn't take any chances, and tries ...more
Rory Wilding
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having established himself as a writer in horror through comic books such as American Vampire and The Wake, current Batman writer Scott Snyder co-wrote this horror gem with Scott Tuft for Image Comics.

1916. Twelve-year old Jack Garron, who is practising the fiddle, travels to Chicago in search of his father. During the course of his journey, during which he is in partnership with another young hobo Sam, Jack becomes the target of who he calls: The Nightmare.

For those who familiar with the litera
Quentin Wallace
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome horror tale. The story is set in 1916 in the world of hobos and trains and I've always had a soft spot for that time and setting. There's a mysterious supernatural killer hunting children and back then horrible acts were much easier to get away with then modern times.

The art was amazing and the story was strong as well. The reader really cares about the characters and sees them as more than nameless victims. The series did a great job of building suspense, as a few times I saw myself fli
Licha
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Creepy factor and mood throughout the book. The artwork is excellent.
Callie Rose Tyler
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, quick-read
Thoroughly enjoyable. This horror comic starts out a bit sluggish but really picks up, the last few chapters are full of thrills, suspense, and violence.

I loved the 1915 time period and the art was fantastic, both worked together to create a interesting tone and unique story.

Most of this story was told in flashback which didn't really work as well as it could have. Despite this being a quick read I had completely forgotten that the first few pages took place decades after the main story, so when
Martin
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, suspense
What I really liked about this book is the way the tension/suspense is built up, drawing the readers in from the first pages and sucking them in further and further as the story progresses. Then you reach this point in the book where you're wondering "How the hell is our protagonist going to get out of this ?"

Billed as a horror comic, the only "horror" element (as in "fantastical") to it is at the very end. The rest of the book, say all but the last few pages, is a different kind of horror - the
Sumit Singla
Severed was a short, quick read. It was fast-paced, with a creepy atmosphere. The fact that the story is set in 1916 adds an extra dimension of mystery, somehow. I quite enjoyed the artwork, and the overall buildup of the storyline. The story certainly brings to life some childhood fears, and is creepy enough to remind you of the likes of the Boogeyman and Pennywise the Clown.

However, I wouldn't rate it too highly because of the anticlimactic ending. Overall, I thought Scott Snyder could have d
Amanda
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This would make a great movie.. hint, hint!
47Time
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-thriller
There's a reference to the number 47, so this book gets 5 stars even with the great story and art. Just kidding, the book really is good overall. Each issue adds more suspense to the story and you can't help but root for the main character, though he doesn't seem to stand a chance. I'm no fan of horror stories, but this one was good beginning to end.

Jack Garron was raised in a happy family, but finds that he was adopted as a baby. He runs away from home to be with his biological father, a travel
Ripley
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this comic series from a Bloody Disgusting best horror comic countdown.

Jack is a freshman in highschool when he discovers he's adopted so he hits the open road to find his father. Little does he know of the nightmare he would encounter. This is a 6 issue series collected in a trade paperback.

First of all, the art work is incredible! As for the story, it comes off like a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark segment. It's good but not fantastic and slightly juvenile if I'm being honest Ther
Frédéric
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, horror
Slow and predictable from beginning to end, a very thorough definition of cliché. It uses all the rope of an innocuous PG13 TV series: Dialogues are cheesy, characters are bland, horror is mostly off-screen or so dark it doesn't matter. It tries hard to be cinematic but ends up more ABC than HBO. The only thing to save is the period the story takes place (1916).

Art-wise Attila Futaki didn't impress me one bit. Neither good nor bad and certainly not  horrifying, ominous or whatnot. As bland as t
David Fisher
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
If you mix Tom Joad and Mr. Hyde, I believe you would precipitate the main villain in Severed. A quick and somewhat macabre read. The ending left me unhappy and not satisfied as all good horror should.
William Thomas
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Scott Snyder is the newest king in comic books. With the success of American Vampire and his work on Batman, as well as Swamp Thing, it was only a matter of time before we saw him put out something subpar. Well, subpar in comparison to his other work. And Severed is just that.

As a story, Severed works wonders. It combines all of the classic elements of horror and horror masters like Matheson and Bierce and King. Snyder sets an even tone from the start and creates a horror not out of a supernatu
Randolph
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this but it turns out to be only a so-so horror book. A vampire story with a cannibal twist. Unfortunately the basic story is revealed on the cover blurb and the "surprise" ending is telegraphed in the first two pages. The cover art was outstanding but the interior artwork overall I thought was just average. Futaki went for a period feel that left the colors, even the blood, mostly muted with more browns and sepias. The detail wasn't particularly interesting and I found myse ...more
Vinton Bayne
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. The pacing was perfect, the art work was beautiful and the story was completely captivating. I was immediately connected to the characters on an emotional level, feeling their fears, their joy, and their pain.

There were many people and places in this story that I would have learned more about, to have followed for a bit longer. This story could
have gone on for 20 more issues and I believe I my attention would not have faltered.
Michelle Morrell
Spooky and sad and gross and heartbreaking, all in turn. The art was quite dark in places, which was obviously appropriate according to the story, but still a little hard at times to figure out what was happening.
Sara
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this novel because of the title - SEVERED.

What can I say? It's another graphic novel about a supernatural serial killer. It takes place around World War I and it involves runaway children.

Horrifying.
Angelic
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Nope.
  • Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells
  • Echoes Vol. 1
  • Scalped, Vol. 9: Knuckle Up (Scalped, #9)
  • Who is Jake Ellis?
  • Pigeons From Hell
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 1: Under the Knife
  • Joe the Barbarian
  • Orchid, Volume 1
Scott Snyder is the Eisner and Harvey Award winning writer on DC Comics Batman, Swamp Thing, and his original series for Vertigo, American Vampire. He is also the author of the short story collection, Voodoo Heart, published by the Dial Press in 2006. The paperback version was published in the summer of 2007.