Start by marking “As You Think” as Want to Read:
As You Think

As You Think

In 1904, a little-known Englishman named James Allen wrote a small book called As a Man Thinketh. A hundred years later, this book has become a self-empowerment classic. New World Library author and publisher Marc Allen updated this timeless gem, recasting obsolete language and polishing the author's message to highlight the universal principles of the original. James Alle ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 112 pages
Published April 15th 1998 by New World Library (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about As You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As You Think

Arun
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of those books that you can keep as a possession. Short and precise, you can finish it in 2-3 hours but need constant contemplation for the real benefit. There are many good books in market which contain the same message but this book seems quite like something pious written in 1904.
Here it ends with this:
Tempest-tossed souls, wherever you may be, under whatever conditions you may live, know this:
"In the ocean of life the isles of blessedness are smiling, and the sunny shore of
Tommy Powell
Since about 1980 -when I was a young knucklehead at Texas Tech- I've kept Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet" on my nightstand. There is no better companion on sleepless nights, or at the end of difficult days. Now I will be keeping a copy of James Allen's "As You Think" right next to it.

Quiet, and simply expressed, this edition of "As a Man Thinketh" (produced by Allen's great grandson) is a requisite touchstone for introspection and occassional re-centering.

The Prophet almost always mov
Lynn Bonelli
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must read self-empowerment book. No magic here...just the ultimate truth that "all we achieve and all that we fail to achieve is the direct result of our own thoughts". Definitely a book to revisit often.
Anthony Haden
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a manual for life. I suggest keeping this on you at all times.
Linda
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's one of the greatest books I have ever read about the Law of Attraction. It's a fabulous book, I highly advice to read!
Eve Dangerfield
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I usually love this kind of thing but this wasn't doing it for me. Possibly a personal type deal.
Jeff Morgan
Powerful life strategies. Great road map for life. I plan to pass it on to a new high school grad in my family.
Arun Sasidharan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mind
A timeless classic.
Justin
Nov 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
A nugget of good wisdom, think positive and good things can happen, surrounded by a bunch of pseudo-scientific nothingness.
Lionkhan-sama
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An extremely small book, some may even call it something of a booklet.
However, the power within this book cannot be overlooked.

An intricate swim in the waters of human thought, and how one might build his own boat to travel upon these waters masterfully, and one day conquer them.
A beautiful inspiration, poetically explaining to people the very simple principles of life and achievements, through the mystic oracles of thoughts.

A highly recommended read, re-read
Sarah Smith
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A quick, inspiring read. Every time I read a book like this I think of people I know that would benefit greatly from reading it as well, but sadly they are usually the people that won't read it. I'll give it to them anyway.

Much of what spoke to me in this book is the rightness of thought and the ability of thought to propel us toward action. Share this book with anyone you know that is feeling a bit lost or down about their luck.
Rahul
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is a very thin book which deceives us in thinking that it can be read very fast. But every sentence in it is so deep that you cannot help but read and wonder how true it is for your own life. Every sentence has a lesson which you can learn and then realize how wrong you have been thinking, acting and living your life.

It tells you the mantra of a successful life in the simplest manner possible.
Krishna
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"AS YOU THINK" is the best ever SELF EMPOWERMENT guide. Every one must read this book, it is a good guide for success. This book has SEVEN principles for the successful life, Keep this book with you always, pick any principle and read. you will feel energized.

Its Very small, Handy and Great book to READ............
Steve
An excellent update of the famous "As a Man Thinketh" which has greatly benefited from the light touch of editing for modern readers. Read in parallel with the original.

Small, simple, powerful book - recommended!
Marty Ritz
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is worth memorizing word for word. It's wisdom is concise, compact and applicable for every occation....I mean, when are we ever not thinking? Think better, act better, get better results. Change your inner experience, change your life.
Ambika Rani K
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ambika by: Robin Sharma
Shelves: self-help
#1 Inspirational Book which you can keep reading over and over again.

Gives a fresh perspective on what thoughts can actually do in our lives.

A must read for all those who crave for peaceful life in this fast paced world.
John Doyle
Feb 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy
Mind over matter. Think positively. Sacrifice much to achieve much. Be calm. Repeat for 90 pages. Publish. Easily the worst book I've read this year.
D
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Self-control is strength; Right Thought is mastery; Calmness is power"
Bharath Chowdary
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very small and good book about thinking positively
Michael Nazari
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Self improvement booklet about how our thoughts dictate our actions. It can be summed up in one quote (one of which I'm not sure is even in the reading): As you think, you become.
Jon P.
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I believe I will read this book several times. It was concise and packed with wisdom. It is a great read and I highly recommend reading this book. It's a quick read, and well worth your time.
Suresh Prajapati
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Can read it again and again :)
Jen
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book for my nightstand. Definitely will reread and refer to this book often.
Amith Guthi
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
One book that you'd love to come back to in the near future & repeat !
Salim
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no
Lee Yen
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really great book to help you clear your mind of clutter and chaos around you.

This shall be my go to book and I will read it at least twice a month!

Chandrashekar
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Definitely IT IS "As you think". Will get back to it again anytime but many more times.
Mayank Pandya
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is very short & precise. It explains how your thinking affect your lifestyle. Nice read.
Cecile
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok

A dated book given the complexities of the systems we live in.

I want to nestle into this book as I understand the empowering information. However, I think of who the audience really is, or was. It was not the people who wrestled with systemic racism, sexism, ageism, etc. Nor for those who try to survive it today.

No one is an island. All are either the beneficiary of the systems we live in or a victim of the various hegemonies that exist--such as the legacy of the mindset
Maira
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever found yourself feeling down or always seemed to be negative all the time? Well that was me a few months ago. I came across “As you think” when I was scrolling through my Instagram feed, when one of the people I follow posted a picture of the book. I then decided to purchase the book and read it.

This book helps you see that whatever you think and say to yourself affects you in a bad or good way. Realizing that everyday I have placed negative thoughts in my mind that I now automat
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Finale
  • The Message of a Master: Classic Tale of Wealth, Wisdon, and the Secret of Success
  • Holy Bible: Inspired By The Bible Experience: New Testament
  • Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life
  • Ten Breaths to Happiness: Touching Life in its Fullness
  • The Art of True Healing: The Unlimited Power of Prayer and Visualization
  • Jacob the Baker: Gentle Wisdom For a Complicated World
  • Live and Learn and Pass It on: People Ages 5 to 95 Share What They've Discovered about Life, Love, and Other Good Stuff
  • Love for No Reason: 7 Steps to Creating a Life of Unconditional Love
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • Thinking Body, Dancing Mind: Taosports for Extraordinary Performance in Athletics, Business, and Life
  • Transforming the Mind: Teachings on Generating Compassion
  • Take Your Time: The Wisdom of Slowing Down
  • Ta Hio: The Great Learning of Confucius
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • University of Success
  • Emotional Alchemy: How the Mind Can Heal the Heart
  • Keep Going: The Art of Perseverance
The James Allen Free Library

Allen was 15 when his father, a businessman, was robbed and murdered. He left school to work full-time in several British manufacturing firms to help support the family. He later married Lily L. Allen and became an executive secretary for a large company. At age 38, inspired by the writings of Leo Tolstoy, he retired from employment. Allen — along with his wife and th
“Only by much searching and mining are gold and diamonds obtained, and you can find every truth connected with your being, if you will dig deep into the mine of your soul.” 5 likes
“We don’t get what we wish and pray for, we get what we justly earn. Our wishes and prayers are only gratified and answered when they harmonize with our thoughts and actions.” 3 likes