Start by marking “Surrender” as Want to Read:
Surrender

Surrender

Gentleman spy, Alexander Redcliff, murdered his colleague. It's an event he can't remember, except in his nightmares. Suppressing them is the only way to keep his sanity, but forgetting is no longer an option.

Only one woman can save Alex from himself.

Georgiana Appleby is a most unconventional lady. Prejudice shadows the physician and scandal is never far away. Forced to
Published February 9th 2012 (first published January 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender

Lauren
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Alex Redcliff is a spy. The only problem now is that he is a spy with an opium addiction to help suppress his terrifying nightmares of events he doesn’t want to remember. In Georgiana Appleby he finds his salvation, sent to help him recover from his addiction, Georgiana has quite a few secrets about herself and her past she wants to keep hidden.

I liked the character of Georgiana but I wanted someone a little bit more strong willed personally. She takes on the whole world defying the conventions
Linda Sims
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
HISTORICAL ROMANCE WITH A DIFFERENCE

Alexander Redcliffe believes he murdered his friend. But he has no memory of the event. Consumed with grief and guilt he suffers from terrible nightmares. Opium is his drug of choice.Georgiana Appleby is to treat Alex for his addiction. Attraction flares between them

Beautifully and sensitively written this historical romance stands out from the crowd. With fully rounded characters and a Stirling plot make this a must read. Alex was very sympathetically written
 Mummy Cat Claire
Georgiana Appleby is a down on her luck gentry. She has no family. Her father was a doctor and he taught her how to treat and cure addiction. Georgiana has been hired to work with Mr. Redcliff.

"Being unwanted wasn't a new experience for Georgiana in her professional capacity as curer of opium addicts."

Mr. Redcliff was very rude. He refused to sit down with her and when he finally did, he ordered her to leave. When that didn't work, he treated her like a second class citizen within his home.

"Th
Michelle Fritz PA
Loved this!!

This was an earlier work of Ms. Archers but as with all of her other pieces of work, it was exceptional! Captivating and well constructed this story grabbed my heart and I couldn't not cheer for the characters. From beginning to end, I was invested and it was terribly hard to put my Kindle down. There are some steamier scenes which her newer work excludes, just putting that out there as some ppl are sensitive. This book is well worth your time, heart and money ♡
Farrah
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! Seriously, it was so good that it now has a place of honor on my list of favorite historical romances. Surrender was a brilliant historical romance that was a little darker than what we normally see in the genre. And that uniqueness is what made it so good.

This book is about addiction. Alex, in an effort to rid himself of horrible nightmares about the night his friend died, takes opium to sleep. In true addict fashion, he claims that he doesn't have a problem and he only needs
Tory Michaels
First thing's first: when I got this book from NetGalley, I would swear it had a different cover, a woman in a pale pink dress, but I can't find that cover any more. But, oh well. I liked that cover better than this one.

Now, onto the story. Alex has been a spy for many years, but after a mission goes disasterously wrong, he believes he killed someone and has retreated into smoking opium to avoid the nightmares that are plaguing him of the final events in that mission. He believes he's not addict
Patty Jansen
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book does what it says on the box. It fits genre expectations, with an added detail of addiction, which I liked.

I am not familiar with the time period, but some quick looking into opium addiction reveals the facts communicated in this book to be correct as far as I can see.

Yeah, I like it when writers get their facts right.

I also liked the characters, and I found them to be believable and interacting with each other in a believable way.

Although I thought the love scenes were well done, I do
GONZA
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not that there are some valuable things in this book, most of all because it is not the usual regency romance with the virginal and soppy debutee and the usual inveterate bachelor, who instead gives almost immediately; my problem is that I have always some difficulty when the two characters go from loathe each other to the strongest passion, lust and love.

Non che non ci siano delle cose apprezzabili in questo libro, intanto non é il solito regency romance con la virginale e svenevole debuttante
Barbara
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a really good story with a plot involving drug addiction; something I have only run across a few other times, yet I am sure was much more prevalent than novels would have us believe. Georgiana was certainly a different type of heroine, a "nurse" who specializes in working with patients who want to overcome their opium addiction. Alex was a product of the spy game and was "played" by the spymaster quite well. The interaction between the two characters was intimate, not only in bed, but i ...more
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-library
Alexander Redcliff is a spy who has turned to opium in order to escape from his nightmares about the death of his friend and fellow spy. Georgiana Appleby is employed to help Alex overcome his addiction and remember the events that occurred. The novel shows the initial struggle to convince Alex that he must overcome his addiction, combined with a growing infatuation of each other that complicates Alex's path to recovery.

A very enjoyable book, the addiction aspect means the book holds so much mo
Christine
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stories with strong heroines who have a profession and do not need to rely on anyone for assistance are a big draw for me. Georgiana is that woman and her career as a physician puts her in a position to help Alexander with his addiction. Will he be able to slay his demons and give her what she wants and needs? This story provided a range of emotions for me, answered my questions, added some surprises and left me in peace with a content smile on my face.

Thank you NetGalley for providing this book
Rhonda
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read. I liked that the book had a female physician during the Regengcy Era and that she specialized in drug addiction. Her patient, Alex, was a spy and dealing with addiciton to opium due to nightmares of a disasterous mission that resulted in the death of his friend. There was a mixture of emotions and unexpected revelations.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Irene Adam
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ebook free from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. This book is regency historical fiction. There are some additional twists with a live-in female physician treating a male patient with an opium addiction. There is also murder and attempted murder, spies, sex and romance, and hidden secrets. As I read this book I especially enjoyed the author’s creative ability. This was a good read.
Tera
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, reviewed
Loved the originality if not the overall book. Great story, that to me was made up with decent characters (although not my favourite). This is no where near the normal regency era story that is so often presented, which can be either bad or good depending on preference. For me it worked out nicely and will be looking to reading some of Archer's other books.
Regina
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIVE BIG GOSH DANG OVERFLOWING STARS. !!?$! Link to my official blog review up soon.
Linda
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it! Wonderful writing & characters. Loved the chemistry between the hero/heroine.
Atunah
Jun 02, 2014
AltogetherTrue
Nov 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now