Start by marking “Contágio (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Contágio (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)

Contágio (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  10,790 Ratings  ·  239 Reviews
Depois de ter fechado o seu pequeno consultório de oftalmologia por falta de clientes, devido à abertura de uma poderosa empresa médica, e de ter perdido a família num trágico acidente aéreo, a vida do Dr. Jack Stapleton está reduzida a muito pouco.
Quem atentamente observasse a sua corrida diária de bicicleta pelas movimentadas e perigosas ruas de Nova Iorque, estaria long
Published 1999 by Publicações Europa América (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Contágio, please sign up.

Jessicat You can read this one without having read book #1. I just finished this book not even knowing it was part of a series and didn't feel like I was…moreYou can read this one without having read book #1. I just finished this book not even knowing it was part of a series and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.(less)

Books
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2014
Have you read any of Robin Cook’s books yet? No? NO??!! Dude!! You have no idea what you’re missing out on! We’re talking epidemic, deadly viruses, panic, conspiracies, drama, confusion, medical negligence, and gangsters! And of course, as with any good medical drama worth its salt, at the center of it all are two competing corporate healthcare giants out to make a quick profit AND an ad company with a near-impossible deadline. If this sounds to you like a heady mix of suspense, intrigue, and ho ...more
Scott Rhee
Mar 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical
It boggles my mind how some writers earn their "best-selling author" status. It's not always because they are good writers. Clearly this is the case with Robin Cook, a mediocre writer at best. Cook is also an M.D., and his books generally deal with the medical field. I picked up "Contagion" because I had never actually read a Robin Cook novel before. Perhaps "Contagion" wasn't the best one to start with, or perhaps I wasn't in a "medical thriller" mood when I read this, but it wasn't that good. ...more
Jessica
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because I had seen the recent movie titled 'Contagion' and thought that the two were one and the same. I was not particularly impressed with the movie but I always tend to enjoy the books more and the movie felt as if it were missing something so I decided to give this a chance. I'm glad I did because the book was nothing like the movie other than being about an epidemic. I enjoyed this story very much, although there were some minor instances where what I had just read didn't ...more
La Tonya
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This had to be one of the very best books I have ever read! So entertaining and definitely a huge page turner!! A MUST read!!!!
Debbie
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Robin Cook!!!!

There is nothing to dislike about Dr. Cook's writing!!! On point, accurate to the nth degree, just don't understand how he manages a practice and his outstanding writing. Jack and Laurie always pull you in. Wonderful book most especially entertaining for those in the medical field who understand the frustrations of hospital practices and policies, and those who rule over them.
Jacob Dalluhn
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine weaving in and out of New York traffic on a 15 pound bike going about 30mph 3 inches between cars on a brisk morning in novemeber.Jack Stapleton a forensic pathologist did just that everymorning heating the ever so frequent honk of the horn or someone yelling explitives at him, but i guess u could say he was used to it. One morning he was called into work a little ealier then he would like and it wasn't a good thing. Three patients came in with unkown deaths and no one could figure out w ...more
James Batchelor
Apr 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This might be the single worst ending to a book that I have ever come across. I won't spoil it for those that may choose to read it, but suffice it to say, Cook set up a very interesting story, and torpedoed it with an absolutely implausible, ridiculous ending.
Ellenjsmellen
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Least favorite by Cook.
Almira Ryiexlyz
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Analysis
Dr. Robin Cook, a graduate of Columbia University Medical School, finished his postgraduate medical training in Harvard. He is the author of the novel, Contagion.
The novel is really wonderful, very detailed and at the same time informative. I am really a fan of Dr. Robin Cook because of his intelligence in connecting biological concepts that are really spine tingling and would unconsciously make you think of possibilities of his medical-thrilling novel’s conflict. The work of a fore
Michaela
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this before knowing it was apart of a series. You can still enjoy it as a stand alone novel.

Dr. Jack Stapleton NYC Medical Examiner has started to notice a disturbing tend at one of the local Mega hospitals - rare diseases are putting bodies in the morgue. Deadly disease that have not been seen in decades. Jack starts digging and thinks there is a conspiracy brewing. He notices that not only are patients dying but also nurses and most confusingly personnel from central supply. What is the c
Byta Maniac
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**For your information: I read this one in Spanish**
The story keeps being interesting through the whole book. Never a dull moment. I would like to see more Laurie and Lou Soldano appearances in the novel, however, Dr. Stapleton is a complex and well developed character that I'd love to keep reading about. I must say I didn't see YOUKNOWWHAT coming, not any clue. I'm very pleased when a book surprises me.

What I least like about the book is the resolution, I mean, the very final part, for me it's
Terri Lynn
Well, I didn't see THAT coming! Robin Cook did a great job with this book. For once I didn't have a clue about a certain person being involved with the deaths until the very latter part of the book.

The prologue begins by introducing us to three people and three incidences which the author says "Three incidences occurred that were totally unrelated yet were to cause a tragic intersection of the lives of three of the people involved."

Those three people were:

(1) A virus and bacteria lover (yes, he
Athul Raj
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like other medical thrillers, this one too has medical jargon in it. Most of them are understandable to the fans of the genre and layman alike. The plot is quite similar to the other Jack and Laurie books. Jack stumbles upon something suspicious in the autopsy, investigates, gets in trouble, finds the culprit. It's an enjoyable thriller from start to finish.
Tammy
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Managed healthcare meets MAD MEN (or women). Dr. Robin Cook introduces readers to the cynically sarcastic Dr. Jack Stapleton who works to establish himself in New York City's Office of the Chief Medial Examiner. The reckless Dr. Stapleton is hellbent to discover the source of a Medieval pathogen plaguing Manhattan General Hospital while coping with his own personal tragedy.
Tasha
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy Robin Cook's books, especially the medical thrillers. Viruses and such have always fascinated me. My only issue is that he tends to throw in a lot of medical jargon, which is ok sometimes but it tends to get a bit overwhelming. The ending was great and it's a book that I've read several times and I still enjoy it.
Helle
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contagion started out pretty slow, with too many medical terms (more than I’m used to from Robin Cook) and seemingly taking forever before Jack Stapleton realized there might be foul play. Although as a reader you do have some advance knowledge, I mean, you’re reading a Robin Cook novel, so there is bound to be foul play. But once it got going it was a great read, and the twist at the end was really good and (for me anyway) unexpected.
RD
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Robin Cook. Well, the man can write. But I somehow felt that I read so much and such an intriguing plot only to be let down at the end, by a motive that I would never have guessed, because it was such a flimsy one!!
A great story, but a very disappointing ending!
Helenk
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be exciting. Not only did it draw me in because of the medical aspect, but I also found the story well written. You never knew what you would find on the next page. I look forward to reading some other novels in this series.
Lynn Orser
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A good novel but too dragged out and complicated. Robin Cooks later story are much better developed and narrated. I always enjoy a good mystery and this is a fast read. Enjoy!
Brian Kirk
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner, I found this book to be a great story. I look forward to reading more of his tales in the future.
Lauren
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew microbiology could be so interesting. This book makes me want to look into it more.
Jonathan Eduardo
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi segundo acercamiento a Cook en este caso para un thriller medico muy bien narrado. Lectura àgil y un giro final inesperado. Recomendado para aquellos que le guste el suspenso. Saludos !
Sasha Soleta
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure if I like Jack as much as I like Laurie but I found this book enjoyable and slightly less predictable than the first book. I just wish there was more Lou!
Najwa Hirn
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I loved the surprise at the end. It never occurs to the reader to suspect who did it.
Subramanian
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monumental. The great doctor is an unbelievable tale-teller.
Michele Rice Carpenter
I loved the plot twist toward the end.
Steve Pillinger
A good, fast-paced novel up to Act III. Then it croaked. I was looking forward to it, as the one where his character Jack Stapleton is first introduced (who features in several subsequent books). The rare and dangerous diseases (including the mediaeval plague) that start causing hospital patients and staff to die, grab your attention throughout the first part, and you identify with the Medical Examiner in his efforts to track them down despite opposition from the hospital admin. But then comes t ...more
Anime Mage
Burdened with lackluster characters, a cliche story, a mundane writing style, Contagion is medical triller that leaves a lot to be desired.

1/5 stars - not recommend
Julie Cordova
Barbara
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donated.
Goodreads Librari...: German edition assigned to wrong novel 6 20 Oct 15, 2017 10:56AM
USA Geography Cha...: Contagion by Robin Cook 1 2 Dec 29, 2014 06:41AM
  • Fatal
  • Cold Plague
  • Bloodstream
  • Eye Of The Raven (Dr Steven Dunbar, #5)
  • Critical Condition (Dr. Richard Steele, #2)
  • The Eleventh Plague
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri
More about Robin Cook...

Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery (10 books)
  • Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)
  • Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)
  • Marker (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #5)
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Critical (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #7)
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland