Start by marking “Helens-of-Troy” as Want to Read:
Helens-of-Troy

Helens-of-Troy

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
“The Gilmore Girls meet Buffy the Vampire Slayer”

Fifteen year old Goth-chic Ellie has a lot of explaining to do. She’s just moved to the small town of Troy, fought with her uptight mother Helen, met the boy of her dreams and found a dead body on her sexy “new-age” grandmother Helena’s porch. All on the first night!

But Ellie’s not alone. Helen is hiding something. Helen kno
Published December 31st 2011 by Smashwords (first published December 28th 2011)

Lakshmi C
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who should read Helens of Troy?

Anyone who loves -
Snarky, complex characters who can be sensitive, vulnerable, secretive and layered.
A great murder mystery.
Mysterious events, creatures and murders in a small town full of strange inhabitants.

Anyone who is tired of paranormal love triangles and the frustration, angst and heartbreak associated with it. Personally I feel a little sad for the person who was not chosen and irritated when the wrong choice is made. I'm glad this book skipped it.

When s
Midu Hadi
buppyspek
Not really the best vampire novel I've read. The story was nice, but it read like I was reading a draft. It needed work. Perspective would shift within chapters - sometimes within the same paragraph. But the story was ok, and I felt compelled to finish it.
Graham Downs
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
You know, I really wanted to love this book. It was billed as "The Gilmore Girls meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer", so I had high hopes.

I started noticing minor editing issues, missing quotation marks, apostrophes used to pluralise words, that sort of thing. This was still early, though (maybe 10% in), and they weren't too bad. The story was compelling enough for me to ignore them. "Maybe it's worth three stars, at least," I thought. Plus, I was really feeling The Gilmore Girls vibe at that point,
Jamie Hall
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How do I explain to you The Helens of Troy by Janine McCaw? I could say its Twilight without all the crap bits but then there’d be no Twilight so that’s not exactly a very good comparison. One website I found did describe it as Gilmore Girls meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I have to say this is much more on the money, although unlike the Gilmore Girls it doesn’t make you want to scream in frustration through various points of high shrieking, poorly written plot lines.

Like the programme this
Yawatta Hosby
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I really enjoyed this 32 chapter book. Since the author lives in Vancouver, if she ever sees Jensen Ackles or Jared Padalecki, please let each actor know I love them! I loved that there was a part in the story where Helena comments to her daughter that she should upgrade to Dean’s car. I loved that the two adults watched Supernatural. You can’t go wrong with that LOL.

My favorite scenes were 1) Ellie and Helen’s trip to Troy in the van. Their conversation was hilarious. 2) Ryan and Ellie’s walk h
Space Out With Sci Fi in June The Haunted Reading Room
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Space Out With Sci Fi in June by: FreeBookDude
Reviewing for FreeBookDude for Oct. 6 2012-will post review on Oct. 6

Review of Helens of Troy by Janine McCaw
5 stars
Reviewed for Freebookdude Oct. 6 2012

5 stars is just not enough for this novel! I want to multiply that many times. To me this story is so cozy, but readers, please don’t mistake me: this is not a novel where the characters simply sit around and take tea while solving a murder. No, by cozy I mean the story simply fits, like reaching into your hall closet and pulling out a warm, com
Sarina Asheford
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally a fan of YA but when I won a copy of Helens of Troy via Free Book Dude I figured I'd give it a read.

I was hooked! The snark, the sarcasm and the realistic conversations of the teenagers reeled me in. As the parent of teenagers it's always great to see that someone else understands that they aren't perfectly well behaved and innocent people, they talk about highly inappropriate things, and McCaw's characters fit the true image of teenagers!

The adults in this book were a little l
Mindy
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story is a clever premise, that the Helens have longer lives and are in tune with the spirit world. The story is a coming of age for the grand-daughter; a coming to terms with her powers and family business for the mother; and a resolving past issues for the grandma.

It was a book that immediately grabbed you, demanded your attention, and kept you glued to the pages wanting more. I give this 4 out of 5 clouds.

This product or book may have been distributed for review; this in no way affects m
Monica-marie Vincent
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Helens was an enthralling story that had me sucked in from the very beginning. The angst of the teenage daughter mixed with the angst of the adult mother and toss in more angst from the grandmother. What would ordinarily be a recipe for disaster actually equals up to a fun read that kept me in it from beginning to end. I can't wait to see what else the Helens will be up to next!
Louisa
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, these characters, they were original and awesome, and just so good! Such a great book!
Laura Hermosa
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice story, strong characters, it keeps mistery until the last chapter
Rita Sims
Oct 03, 2012
Roy Huff
Feb 07, 2013
Janine McCaw
Jun 04, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dragonr