Start by marking “New Discoveries (New Discoveries, #1)” as Want to Read:
New Discoveries (New Discoveries, #1)

New Discoveries (The New Discoveries Series #1)

2.98  ·  Rating details ·  516 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Matthew works at a video rental store and runs into his ex-girlfriend's gay best friend, Jamie, who needs a job.

The two form an unlikely friendship, filled with sensual encounters...which lead Matt to question his sexuality.

This book is a novella which does contain graphic sexual scenes, and should be read by adults only.

Make sure to read “Broken Hearts”, the second ins
Published May 2nd 2012 by Porterlance Books (first published February 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about New Discoveries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Discoveries

Cindi
Jul 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Beck said it better than I ever could. The writing was lacking but I could overlook that for the most part. Neither character was all that great but I could overlook that as well. The story was free so I have no right to complain at all, right? And I had no desire to do so. I was going to mark it as "read" on here and move on without a review or a rating. But then I got to a specific part of the story and not only was I shaking my head but I was saying WHAT????? That made my decision as far as t ...more
Beck
Jul 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. This review will contain what most would consider spoilers but there is no way to avoid that as I vent my spleen. In all fairness I must confess that I was annoyed that I had accidentally purchased this book as I downloaded a few hundred samples late at night, without my glasses, so that annoyance may have had a bearing on how little patience I had with the bollocks that is this story.

As I started reading the book I was horrified by the amateurish writing style. At first I forgave the author
Shay Kassa
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: erotica
Two stars because the grammar wasn't horrible, but otherwise this isn't one to read. (view spoiler) ...more
Ashley♥Alexis
I wanted to like this, I really did. The plot for the most part seemed interesting. After reading the first chapter I realized I did not like the writing style but I stayed with it because I wanted to kno what would happen. I found myself annoyed with how this ended. Its unrealistic to (view spoiler) eh. I'm gonna try to avoid the other two books in this series.
Melanie~~
Probably a 2.5 rating. I think the ending is unrealistic for (view spoiler). But the writer was clever in ending it on such a cliffie as to all but necessitate getting the next book. [sigh] I didn't particularly like the writing style as it seemed like a listing of factual events with not much emotion attached.
Kate Aaron
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon
2.5 - I like the set-up and I like the characters, but there's just something lacking from this... there's no emotional depth to it, a lot of telling not showing I think. If the author slowed it all down and drew it out a bit more it'd be a great story.
Dee Aditya
The story and the plot itself was quite okay, but the voice and style of writing weren't really my speed, and that made it difficult for me to like it.
Thomaidha Papa
Sep 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Beck and Cindi said it all, and frankly I won't be adding anything for fear I might get brutal.
No, just no. Enough with the trash already!
Leslie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Poorly written.
Adrienne
Jul 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not very romantic....

It started our pretty good although the relationships were convoluted and the typos are really obvious, but then it just got worse from there. It just all of a sudden got totally unrealistic and the whole "Roger" incident was awful.

To go from basically being raped, and no protection, to making love with the man you're supposedly in love with is gross. That is so disrespectful to not even tell Jamie what happened. Matt is selfish, irresponsible, and childish. I have no idea w
Roni Guzman
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This entire series was very emotional up until the last book. Then it suddenly just ends with sort of a good ending but there were so many things that were just left open. The main character is Matt and the story starts off how he is not even aware that he is gay. He finds is first partner and love with Jamie. I really can't say much other than their relationship is so special and Matt struggles in the beginning to accept that he is gay. He is very confused and he falls passionately in love with ...more
tacitus
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: have-ebook
Adult in Content, but Juvenile in Tone

What I mean when I say that this story is juvenile "in tone" is that the writing style itself feels novice and hurried. Minus the explicit scenes, it felt like a story written by a teenager. Scenes are well described physically, visually, but inner dialogue is blunt, emotionless, and lacking in any kind of personality. The tone remains the same regardless of whose inner dialogue we're reading, and everything simply moves too quickly. I felt as if I was readi
Bryan D.
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
5 of 75 for 2015, but I hesitate to count it for two reasons. It's little more than a novella, although it is the first in an on-going series. Second, I've read it before. That said, it's a gay harlequin, with two handsome young men as the main characters, getting to know each other and discovering truths about themselves. The road isn't always smooth, but the bumps make us appreciate the smooth pavement all the more, right? As long as you accept the premise that a young "straight" man may actua ...more
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book up to a certain point, It really needed to be longer to explain some things though. I felt like some of the things the guys talked about should have gone into more detail and they didnt. Then the ending just pissed me off, why oh why didn't he tell Jamie about Roger and the horrible experience he just had? How on earth did they make love when poor Matt had to be dying from pain? Even though I want to know what happens next I just cannot bring myself to spend money on t ...more
Janie
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought the book was very sweet in the beginning and predictable. I could not believe the ending though. Of course this will all come back to bite Matt in his ass. He should have just told Jamie what happened with Roger and got it off his chest. Will Jamie be able to forgive him for not telling him? And after being raped he then goes back and makes love all day with Jamie? So in all this making love Jamie never once gets to look at Matts ass? How the hell could he not tell that Matt was bleedi ...more
Larry Arnold
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
its a very cute start of a love story between a gay and str8.

i would have gave it more stars but the errors wether grammar or mixing up the main characters names. these small things were a soar taste on my reading mind.

im just hoping the errors were due to being free. i want to read the rest, but will be disapointed if i pay and there are still errors.

but other then that a cute story. i van relate to the gay man and how he felt coming out.
Bradley
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I recently acquired a Kindle. Amazon has a load of free Kindle books that I can peruse. Most of them are from non name authors trying to make it big. Most of them are riddled with nonsense. What more do you want from something free?

New Discoveries wasn't so bad. Yes, there are some ludicrous moments. That said, I found this book to be a pleasant read.
Mocha Haven
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Callie Marks
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had really hoped to get over the bad writing in this. It clearly was not edited or even read by other readers before published. I'll keep it short since I've seen other reviews (wish I read those first before reading this!) have posted about it. The story line goes along fine except towards the end and it just ruins what little was left of it.
Donovan Edwards
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching

This book was an easy and joyful read. I loved the characters. They were easy to relate to. If you have not felt or experienced the confusion and excitement of falling in love this book makes you feel it. I am excited to read on. I suggest you read this book soon so you know what I think I know. Lol That was in relation to the ending. 😉
Garrett
Aug 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't say this book is anything more than decent...I guess I shouldn't have expected much more out of a free book. The description made it sound alright, but everything was rushed. It seemed tons of time had passed every few paragraphs, and I can't say the story-line was exciting and unpredictable.
Bea
I was enjoying the book up until 69% of the book. Then one of the characters does something I think would be physically impossible and incredibly irresponsible. I was horrified!!!!

I see that this was an installment, so I assume that this one is free to hook us. Thank goodness I did not pay for this. I rarely give one stars, but this one is one.
Stalker
Apr 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-thanks
"New Discoveries" had potential. Unfortunately, it felt as though I were reading the writings of Someone in their early teens. It was emotionally underdeveloped, shortcuts were made to get from scene to scene, and the editting was easily questionable. I would probably prefer to read this storyline written by Someone with, in general, a little more experience.
James  Thornton
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast, Steamy Read

A very interesting and surreal adventure into the experiences of many gay and bi curious men in today's society. A very fast and steamy read that keeps you ready to turn the page to see what happens next.
Lynnebaby
Sep 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
OMG. This was pretty bad I read the whole first part because I was hoping for it to get better. It didn't. The awfulness would just not end. The writing is very simple and unimaginative, plot was not good, and editing was so-so. I'll be deleting this from my Kindle immediately.
Brittany
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Marie
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Having never read anything by the author, I didn't know what to expect. My first impression? He needs to find a new editor. Some of the story was rushed. He really likes the word "though". Not sure if I would have paid for the book had it not been a freebie.
Annelise Lestrange
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, m-m, romance
This was so promissing... Until Roger.

(view spoiler)

Poor Jamie.
Yulia
Apr 12, 2015 added it
I didn't like it.
That's all I have to say.
Tc
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Writing was amateurish and it made it hard for me to read because I simply couldn't connect to it. Story was... below average in my opinion. I don't really have a lot else to say.
  • Whiskey Dreams (Sleepy Hollow, #1)
  • Back-Up
  • Red-Eye Dawn (Turbulence, #3)
  • Language Lessons
  • Tomfoolery
  • Measure of Devotion (Measure of Devotion, #1)
  • Bourbon Affair (Pentacles of Magick #2.5)
  • To Sir, With Love
  • Swept Up In Blue
  • The Math Teacher Is Dead
  • Hidden Talents (Hidden Talents, #1)
  • Pole Star
  • The Importance of Being Denny
  • By Chance (Courtland Chronicles, #1)
  • See Right Through (Savannah, #1)
  • Indestructible
  • What He Wants
  • Sebastian

The New Discoveries Series (4 books)
  • Broken Hearts (New Discoveries, #2)
  • Life Changes (New Discoveries, #3)
  • New Beginnings (New Discoveries, #4)