Start by marking “Facts are Sacred: The power of data” as Want to Read:
Facts are Sacred: The power of data

Facts are Sacred: The power of data

Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Facts are Sacred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facts are Sacred

Start your review of Facts are Sacred: The power of data
Dani Arribas-bel
The book is a short compilation of experiences encountered by The Guardian journalists in dealing with what is come to be known as "data journalism". Throughout eight chapters, several loosely related topics are exposed, from what they consider "data journalism" is to how crowdsourcing can help it.

It really is a short read, but I think it should have actually been shorter. Some of the chapters feel too forced to be in the book, almost just to fill pages. As an example, the last one is a simple c
Trevor
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Strange book. The content is good, but the chapters just tend to end with little finality. The problem is that there is actually very little to read. This is two different books smushed into one: a look into info-journalism; a collection of cool info graphics.

My problem with the book is that as you read the chapters, there are accompanying graphics that are tangentially connected to the narrative. Normally, you read a chapter and you see a graphic it actually further informs the argument. You w
Mike
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Picked up lots of pointers and story ideas from here. Geeked out as I flip every page.
Ellen
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting overview of the data journalism strategy used by The Guardian. Good descriptions of basic data analysis, and some excellent (often depressing) examples of different data sets used and made accessible by The Guardian. Implicit within it are hints for organisations making their data public, inlcluding don't use pdfs. Also highlights fact that once data is public, people will work out a way to analyse it.
Kenneth
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Short, clearly written and a genuinely interesting work on how the way data is used by the Guardian team. Not a lot of technical detail on the way that data is processed. I enjoyed it but it left me wanting more insight and to want to play with some open data for myself. Perhaps that's the point of the book?
Jane
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is my first experience of a Guardian Short and I've found it a good one. I got a bit grumbly about the 4 errors I spotted (3 x spelling, 1 x fact) but other than that I found this to a well put together book with interesting content written in an engaging fashion (but I do like data!). Will probably take a look at some of the other Guardian Shorts.
Mike Benner
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well written book that is stuffed with seemingly useless data until the author ties it altogether. The Guardian has always been at the forefront of data journalism and this book gives some insight to why that is. Quick read that is a must for any data junkie.
Alex G
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Mostly a collection of previously published articles. A few interesting insights into the inner workings of the Guardian data team.
María
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Información interesante sobre periodismo de datos, pero al final, disperso y un poco escaso.
Craig
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book, sparse on prose and arguably light on detail, but fascinating nevertheless.
Mike
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very useful and thought provoking introduction to data journalism and analysis.
Ilo
Mar 12, 2014
Bogdan Rosca
Feb 09, 2020
Alan
rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2015

• Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World
  • From Cold War to Hot Peace: The Inside Story of Russia and America
  • The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • Succubus Lord 4
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
Simon Rogers is the founding editor of the Guardian’s Datablog and has won numerous awards for his work, including a Royal Statistical Society’s award of excellence in 2012.