Start by marking “Diffusion of Innovations ” as Want to Read:
Diffusion of Innovations

Diffusion of Innovations

Now in its fifth edition, Diffusion of Innovations is a classic work on the spread of new ideas. It has sold 30,000 copies in each edition and will continue to reach a huge academic audience.

In this renowned book, Everett M. Rogers, professor and chair of the Department of Communication & Journalism at the University of New Mexico, explains how new ideas spread via communi

Paperback, 5th edition, 576 pages
Published August 16th 2003 by Free Press (first published November 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Diffusion of Innovations, please sign up.
Victoria Bencsik This book looks so boring but it is excellent. A great book if you want to understand change and innovation.

Start your review of Diffusion of Innovations
Lu Wunsch-rolshoven
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Essential reading if you want to understand how new things come into our world. It's not the majority that accepts those new things - it's a small minority of about 2 % that takes them at first. Others observe the pioneers and only if it seems that in practice the new thing has an advantage a second group of about 14 % will accept it. After them a third and fourth group. There is nearly no chance to convince people of the second or a later group, if not the whole first group is using the new thi ...more
Ninakix
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This gets a high rating because it's a pretty classic book, and so far, I have yet to see the ideas covered in other books. Adoption theory is a surprisingly useful tool for understanding your customers and adoption cycles, and based on my personal experiences, I believe it is an accurate reflection of real-world phenomena. However, that said, I believe the book is long-winded, and can be frustrating because it seems to be targeted towards different audiences: a textbook for students of adoption ...more
Dorotea
THE book when it comes to diffusion theory: extremely thorough, yet clear and easy to read.
Stephen
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ DEC 2012

Packed with case studies and excellent examples, this is a must read for any organizational consultant or change leader.
Deane Barker
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Classic book (in its fifth edition) about how new ideas spread. I like how Rogers has a set of "generalizations" about his ideas. These are things that might not be proven by statistics but feel generally correct. A lot of network theory, but a very good read. Just the right mixture of density and readability.
Saber
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read a couple of chapters of the first version (1983), it was an exciting read. It changed my view to the diffusion of innovations process. It made me understand and be aware of some fundamental elements I need to consider before creating or promoting a software product, though the book is not about software.
Holly Bond
Oct 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: HRD specialists
Textbooks suck, but not this one. The case studies in this book are so eye-opening about how change is more art than science. You can't just say, "do it because I said so" and expect it to get done. The people really need to be involved in the change and have an opportunity to be heard. This is a long book, but I promise that it is worth it.
Indra
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
diffusion of innovations theory has been used in fields of ICT, in marketing and in developing behaviour change communications. This is a great and thorough overview. Many of the ideas in the field overlap with theories of social networks.
Abdulrahman Hariri
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource on innovation and technology adoption and diffusion. Based on extensive research of the innovation literature.
Keith
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The foundational text on scaling & spreading new interventions. It's a long and slightly academic read, but it is extremely informative. ...more
Michael Sturgeon
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The phenomenon of new ideas and the point at which a trend catches fire – spreading exponentially through the population is an interesting one. Giving this phenomena a name is where this book helped me label what I observe. The idea suggests that, for good or bad, change can be promoted rather easily in a social system through a domino effect. The tipping point idea finds its origins in diffusion theory, which is a set of generalizations regarding the typical spread of innovations within a socia ...more
Jim Razinha
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hindsight lesson learned and shared for future readers...unless you have to read this for academic purposes, it's probably best to read the very good summaries at the end of each chapter and then decide if you want to dig further. This is enormously tedious. I am in a year long certification program this year and one of the lectures cited some good stuff from this book. I didn't ask, nor had a reason to ask, if the book was worth reading beyond the couple of sound bites. Fair warning to the casu ...more
Dio Mavroyannis
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't read this in the utmost detail but its an instant reference. There's a whole lot of example, its clear Everett is very knowledgeable about his subject, and it is quite fun to see the time dimension so thoroughly analyzed. He even critiques his own approaches numerous times. The only thing I don't really understand is the excessive categorization, it seems like if you go through all the combinations of categories proposed in the book you would wind up with a long list of stages, or types ...more
Anjar Priandoyo
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This is a beautiful book for business studies. Written by "farmer", use corn as a case study, having BS in Agriculture, focusing on rural sociology, but develop "diffusion of innovation" concept that widely used in technology, IT or any innovation-related business. The book contains case studies, criticism, and weakness. It is like reading a good thesis which written very clear and easy to understand. I never thought that reading a classical work like this will be fun. Five stars, and will rerea ...more
Michael Shaw
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has aged well. It's good to see innovation discussion in contexts that we don't usually think of it today (i.e., pre-internet). It highlights the consistent patterns, and helps separate them from the idiosyncrasies of each industry.

Nevertheless, the style is quite dry, and the author repeats himself more than I'd like. His chapter summaries are literally restating the thesis of each section, rather than connecting them in a more memorable way.
M. Shipley
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As far as educational textbooks go, this was exceptional. Rather than being a dry lit review of many studies, this was a fascinating look at at least 450 case studies, all which were very interesting and enlightening. Rogers has a sense of humor that makes it a quick read, and his clarity of thought makes a complex concepts extremely understandable. There’s great tables, and each chapter has clear and concise summaries s. It is an outstanding book.
Patti Irwin
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Assigned for a class, it is the first text I would have picked up and wanted to read from cover to cover anyway. Everyone talks about Gladwell’s Tipping Point, without having read that myself I think this is the work (and the studies referenced therein) that Gladwell based his work. Fascinating stuff that I’m not sure how to apply but certainly many things to mull over, reference, and come back too whenever I either encounter change in my profession or seek to institute some.
Talia Skinner
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this one for work and definitely felt like I was back in school. The book is well written but there's a lot of information and new concepts to work through, so reading it felt a lot like work. Funny that. Highly recommended for anyone trying to get new ideas, technologies or any other innovations adopted.
Richard Baker
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
An in-depth examination at innovation and how it spreads throughout cultures. This is a bit of a dry and lengthy read, but the research still holds true. Reading this will give you a great understanding on how innovations spread and essentially provides a roadmap to plan your next innovation’s adoption.
Joel
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Rogers does a great job explaining complex ideas about innovation in approachable terms. The summary sections were fantastic at reinforcing the ideas from the chapters.

This book is must read for anyone working in business, customer success, user experience, product management, engineering, anthropology, marketing
Justin Jaeger
I don't think it would be fair for me to rate this. While I was prepared for it to be text book like, I wasn't at all interested in a history and methodology behind the study of diffusion. It will stay on my shelves but it will be exclusively as a reference. Looking forward to some more interesting reading.,
Lynda
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A reality check for those who wonder why it takes a good idea a long time to be adopted. I found this an enlightening read during my years of working with online education innovation in the post secondary system.
Amrutha Babu
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
one readable text book
Pablitomix  Online
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is most interesting in the world
Daniel
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too much a textbook, but filled with useful information, some of which has been popularized in other books, eg Crossing the Chasm, so nice to see the original version.
Prabhjot Dhaliwal
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
good
Fathin
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good undergrad introduction into the Diffusion of Innovation theory
Sanaa Awadh
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My dissertation’s bible!
Martti
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Diffusion of Innovations" is the classic work of Everett M. Rogers. The book was originally published in 1962, and had reached its 5th edition in 2003. The diffusion theory was developed when Rogers studied the adoption of agricultural innovations by farmers in Iowa in the 1950s. The 5th edition of the book provides a synthesis of more than 5000 previous studies in the adoption and diffusion of innovations.

Rogers argues that the diffusion of innovations is a general process which is not bound
« previous 1 3 next »

• Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • The Practice of Management
  • The Heretic Queen
  • The Hidden Persuaders
  • Swarm Creativity: Competitive Advantage Through Collaborative Innovation Networks
  • Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
  • The End of Poverty
  • The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good
  • Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future: The Ingenious Ideas That Drive Today's Computers
  • Everybody Matters: The Extraordinary Power of Caring for Your People Like Family
  • The Art of Raising a Puppy
  • The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries Are Failing and What Can Be Done About It
  • Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa
  • Building Social Business: The New Kind of Capitalism That Serves Humanity's Most Pressing Needs
  • The Brave Athlete: Calm the F*ck Down and Rise to the Occasion
  • Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future
  • The Man Who Knew: The Life and Times of Alan Greenspan
  • The Rise of Carry: The Dangerous Consequences of Volatility Suppression and the New Financial Order of Decaying Growth and Recurring Crisis

News & Interviews