Start by marking “Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock” as Want to Read:
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

Read Excerpt

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  35,035 Ratings  ·  5,138 Reviews
Today is Leonard Peacock’s birthday. It is also the day he hides a gun in his backpack. Because today is the day he will kill his former best friend, and then himself, with his grandfather’s P-38 pistol.

But first he must say good-bye to the four people who matter most to him: his Humphrey Bogart-obsessed next-door neighbor, Walt; his classmate, Baback, a violin virtuoso; L
Published August 13th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock, please sign up.
Nicholas Gomez
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Monika Hrabáková I recommend not to search for much information about the book. You will miss all the surprises. All I knew about the book when I started reading, was…moreI recommend not to search for much information about the book. You will miss all the surprises. All I knew about the book when I started reading, was that Leonard Peacock has birthday today and he's gonna kill his best friend and then himself.

Anyway this is an awesome book. Easy to read, easy to fall in love with. One of the best books I have ever read in my life. (less)

Emily May
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I don't know how helpful this review will be because I read most of the book through a film of tears. Which is an embarrassingly melodramatic statement to make after this book managed to be so dark and sad without feeling forced or manipulative like my words. But it's true. Some of the tears were laughter, most of them were sadness. I just... I don't know how to review books like this. I want to string together a list of beautiful, funny or sad quotes from the book when what I'm really saying is
Raeleen Lemay
Read this book if you want to be very emotionally invested in finding out why a high school teacher doesn't roll up his sleeves.

And if you want your heart to cry.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I remember the day when Columbine happened. Of course, there have been school shootings before, and school shooting since, but as a young teen at the time, Columbine was the event that hit home...why? Because the people involved could easily have been me, or my friends. It was so covered by the media, we watched the footage in school, there were counselors, there were added security on my campus, there were a lot of hushed conversations, a lot of adults not knowing how to react, wanting to discu ...more
Lola
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health
Leonard Peacock wants to die.

But before he commits suicide, he wants to kill somebody. Other than himself. His former best friend, Archer, for the harm he has caused him in the past.

Now I don’t want to jinx anything—perhaps I speak too soon, as this is only my second book read by Matthew Quick—but I really do believe that this author is slowly but surely becoming a favourite author of mine.

He just KNOWS how to write a novel. And his imagination has no boundaries. In ‘‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peaco
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

When the low, heavy sky weighs like a lid
On the groaning spirit, victim of long ennui,
And from the all-encircling horizon
Spreads over us a day gloomier than the night;

When the earth is changed into a humid dungeon,
In which Hope like a bat
Goes beating the walls with her timid wings
And knocking her head against the rotten ceiling;

- Charles Baudelaire, Spleen

Damn you, Leonard Peacock : you made me remember of who used to be one of my favorite poet when I was a teenager. Ha, Baudelaire with
Regan
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
a very good quick read
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, contemporary
This book was heartbreaking but ultimately really enjoyable. My only issue was that I felt like the ending didn't give me enough satisfaction for a rounded out story. Video review maybe to come. Not sure yet.
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
I can definitely see why Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is such a beloved book. I believe many readers will find this novel beautiful and heart-breaking; and I did too, to a certain extent. Though I appreciated many things within this book and even found myself emotionally attached to the main character, there were also quite a few elements that really bothered and hindered me at truly loving this story.

The story centres around Leonard Peacock who has decided that he is going to kill himself on his
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Books, to me, should not be about moralizing. They should be explorations of controversial ideas and of the horrible things that people can do. And that is exactly what this book is: Forgive Me Leonard Peacock avoids moralizing, but also doesn't shy away from the harsh reality of what Leonard plans to do.

And all this is to say that I have seen so many people say that they hate everyone who enjoyed this book. Notwithstanding the fact that I kind of despise that statement, inherently, I completel
Aj the Ravenous Reader

This is the one book that perfectly qualifies the funny and heartbreaking description. It’s sad but the depressed really do have a great sense of humor. Until I’ve read the very first page of the book, I honestly thought Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is mainly a humorous contemporary fiction and I picked it up because I was looking forward to reading something light and funny. It was funny but I was in a complete surprise to find out that it’s a book mainly about depression and suicide a
Steph Sinclair
Recently, I've been reading really depressing books that have both horrified and fascinated me. But out of all of them, Charm and Strange and now Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock takes the cake for tackling tough, taboo issues. In this case, suicide. Now, the last suicide book I've read was Thirteen Reasons Why and this book can easily be compared to that. But instead of the story being told from tapes from the deceased and another MC, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is told play-by-play from Leonard him ...more
Sr3yas
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Forgive me Mathew Quick, because I didn't find your story compelling for most of the part.

Synopsis? Leonard Peacock has a shitty life. He is a fictional embodiment of all things that could go wrong with an average 21st-century teenager, bar the drugs. Leonard has no father, no friends of his age, and no girlfriend. What he does have is money, a Mother who doesn't care about him, a Holden Caulfield attitude and a P 38 gun.

And today is his birthday. And the plan? He is going to kill his ex-best
Scarlet
Either this book failed to do what it set out to do, or I went in with the wrong expectations. Whatever the case, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock did not have any appreciable impact on me.

You see, I read this book hoping to gain some insight into the mind of a school shooter. Someone like Kevin Khatchadourian, just not so inherently evil. I wanted this book to scare me, stun me, make me question, make me think, maybe break my heart a little.

What I did not want this book to do (and what it essential
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I had this idea that I would love this book a lot, but I just didn't. I love these kinds of books because they touch on real things in life, sad things. I just didn't feel it with this book.

Leonard is going to kill his ex-best friend and himself. We don't find out until near the end why he wants to kill Asher and then himself. I feel like it would have been better if we got some more insight into the bad things that happened with these two boys. I would have felt more connected to Leonard that
☆♥☆Kotyonok꧁꧂
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*****4.5 Stars*****

You know those characters you read about that are just too smart for the world? Not like IQ-book smart, because they don't usually care about that stuff, but just plain...smart? Like Holden Caufield from The Catcher in the Rye, like Yagami Light from Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom....Leonard Peacock is one of those characters. He thinks more than those around him and sees things differently than those around him. And unfortunately, his brilliance is on the edge of expiration beca
Giselle
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own
Wow what a sad story this was! Told in the voice of a morose, yet incredibly intelligent teenage boy, we're given a raw look into the road to suicide, and how depression affects your thoughts.

What I noticed immediately was the writing style which stood out to me as something very… honest. Not only is it told in first person - which I consider a requirement for a story such as this - but we get a format that emphasizes his unhealthy state of mind even more so. This includes foot notes on his int
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, 2-star
I find this a very difficult book to review because on one hand, it's subject matter is very important, on the other, I really didn't enjoy it very much.

There were times when I sympathized with the main character, Leonard Peacock. But an overwhelming amount of the time I found him pretty unlikable. And maybe that is how he's supposed to come off, I really don't know. It just made it difficult for me to understand him sometimes.

I felt similarly when I read Thirteen Reasons Why, ultimately sad bu
Keertana
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I hardly know where to begin with Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock. Suffice to say that this novel is brilliant, beautiful, and heart-breaking. It follows a teenage boy - Leonard Peacock - on his birthday as he chooses to kill another boy in his school and then commit suicide himself, all after giving the few special people in his life gifts to remember him by. As a foray into Quick's works, I can't say this was the happiest of reads, but it made my throat close up in grief and my knuckles fist into ...more
Angela
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5. Review to come

Read this review and others over on my blog
Mitch
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Admittedly, I picked up Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock with a great deal of skepticism. I like my issues books hard-hitting, dark, and gritty, but I've not had much success finding many authors who can deliver the kind of bleak realism that for me is the holy grail of the genre. I want to say Leonard Peacock impressed me with its authenticity, but for a book billed as an unflinching examination, Matthew Quick flinched - multiple times.

What disappoints me most about Leonard Peacock is that it's writ
Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~
The poor guy is so misunderstood, and his mother is horrible... And just....Why am I crying?

The footnotes are everything.
Also the letters from the future.
aria [dear darling reader]
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
“I'm trying to let him know what I'm about to do.
I'm hoping he can save me, even though I realize he can't.”

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

I didn't really know what I felt after reading this book.
Sorrow. Pain. Hurt. Disappointment.Anger.Loneliness.
This book gave me a lot more to think about.

Forgive me, Leonard Peacock is one of those books that I think is a must read for everyone.
Don't be mislead by the title.
This book is not in any way comical.
It is not in any way plain humorous.
It is just not
Kenchiin
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Whatever this book was trying to accomplish, it couldn't.
C.G. Drews
Woah. I'm just...woah. This book kind of bopped me on the head and left my brain for dead. I love that. It's an issue book, and while I don't think it adequately dealt with the issue, I think it presented the story realistically.

And then, you know, left us to stew in our own questions. WHY DID IT NOT ANSWER THE QUESTIONS?

It's narrated by, Leonard. I don't want to give spoilers, but to put it bluntly: Leonard is considered "strange". He has a strange thought process. He likes strange things
Vitor Martins
Esse livro me surpreendeu de uma maneira muito positiva!

A escrita do Matthew Quick (que eu não tinha gostado muito em O Lado Bom da Vida) está incrível em Leonard Peacock. Uma narrativa gostosa, que flui muito bem e me deixou curioso e empolgado o tempo todo. Achei o Leonard um protagonista muito real. Ele tem 18 anos e sua personalidade é equilibrada no sentido de que ele é inteligente e cheio de opiniões sem deixar de ser inconsequente e rebelde.

O livro se passa ao longo de um dia inteiro e,
✨ Kaira ✨
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is mainly about a suicidal and homicidal eighteen-year-old Leonard Peacock.

1.) plot - the fact that I just finished this book in literally just one night just proves how this book was beautifully written. That this novel was tragic yet eye-opening.

Pacing of the book was truly incredible, I love how the author add a bit of humor to this novel when in fact, the issue this book tackled was really serious.

And you may call me hypocrite or what but this book made me realize MORE that you
Gray Cox
"I'm going to kill you later today," I say to the guy in the mirror, he just smiles back at me like he can't wait.
"Promise?" I hear someone say, which freaks me out, because my lips didn't move.
I mean-it wasn't me who said, "Promise?"
It's like there's a voice trapped inside the glass. So I stop looking in the mirror. Just for good measure, I smash that mirror with a coffee mug, because I don't want that mirror to speak to me ever again.-(pg. 15)

When I saw what this book was about I was worried.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
This is the story of one day in Leonard Peacock’s life. The most important day he’ll ever live. Not only is it his 18th birthday, it’s also the day where he will kill Asher Beal and then himself. Follow Leonard through this most remarkable day as he says his farewells to the four most important people in his life – on the last day of his own.

Characters like Leonard Peacock (i.e., Holden Caulfield, Gene from A Separate Peace, Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Lucky Linderman from Ever
Maureen
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Why am I so emotchunal?" -Miranda Sings

But really, a heartbreaking and emotional book that I feel is really important for a lot of reasons. Hard to get through, but really important.
Every life matters and things do get better.
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

“we can simultaneously be human and monster—that both of those possibilities are in all of us.”

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is one of those books that just took me by complete surprise. I didn’t do a lot of research before picking it up and I definitely hadn’t seen many people talk about it. I found it on sale and I decided to pick it up on a whim. I’m really glad that I did.

What I Liked

The discussion of important social issues. I feel like I’ve been reading a lot of books recently that contain
  • Reality Boy
  • Sex & Violence
  • Scowler
  • Wise Young Fool
  • Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets
  • All American Boys
  • Living with Jackie Chan (Jumping Off Swings, #2)
  • Charm & Strange
  • Golden Boy
  • 100 Sideways Miles
  • Chasing Shadows
  • Fat Angie
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are
  • Friday Brown
  • Boys Don't Knit (in Public) (Boys Don't Knit, #1)
  • October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard
  • The Vigilante Poets of Selwyn Academy
  • The Gospel of Winter
Matthew Quick is the New York Times bestselling author of THE SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, which was made into an Oscar-winning film; THE GOOD LUCK OF RIGHT NOW; LOVE MAY FAIL; THE REASON YOU’RE ALIVE; and four young adult novels: SORTA LIKE A ROCK STAR; BOY21; FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK; and EVERY EXQUISITE THING. His work has been translated into more than thirty languages, received a PEN/Hemingway ...more
More about Matthew Quick

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You're different. And I'm different too. Different is good. But different is hard. Believe me, I know.” 352 likes
“I feel like I’m broken—like I don’t fit together anymore. Like there’s no more room for me in the world or something. Like I’ve overstayed my welcome here on Earth, and everyone’s trying to give me hints about that constantly. Like I should just check out.” 252 likes