Start by marking “The Case of the Troubled Trustee” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Troubled Trustee

The Case of the Troubled Trustee

(Perry Mason #75)

An erstwhile young man has his hands full as trustee of a wild young woman's inheritance. But his love and her money don't mix. Perry Mason may be able to prove his client is no embezzler--but what happens when murder rears its head? HC: William Morrow and Co.
Hardcover, 1st, 168 pages
Published 1965 by Walter J. Black Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Troubled Trustee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Troubled Trustee

Start your review of The Case of the Troubled Trustee
Evgeny
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole idea of the mystery revolves around a trust established by a wealthy guy for his daughter whose money managing skills equaled to that of a toddler.
Money
In particular as a part of trust there was a stock of a company with a dubious value; it played a major role. For the people not deeply in love with the art of making money out of nothing the legal way (financiers) this might be somewhat boring.

A relatively young but successful financial advisor came to Mason for a consultation.
Financial Advisor
His proble
Bob
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense), such as Ross Macdonald, may find the writing style here a bit dry. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the fast pace, the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by about 1954 are the best. This is one of the last
Ron Zack
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erle Stanley Gardner’s “The Troubled Trustee” is a typical Perry Mason formula novel. It opens with an unscheduled potential client showing up at the office and paying Mason a lot of money to represent him in a questionable matter. Mason hesitatingly takes the case, unsure of the sincerity and/or innocence of his new client. Other people, vaguely related to the “client” show up and thicken the plot. Mason struggles with the ethical implications of his new case and client and hires private detect ...more
Roger
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little shorter than the average Perry Mason case, Troubled Trustee doesn't have quite as many twists, clues or tricks (the only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars). Otherwise it's as absorbing as always; I finished it in one day.
There is an interesting observation by Mason about District Attorney Hamilton Burger:
Mason shook his head. "Usually Hamilton Burger doesn't have a chance to strut his stuff. I get the witness on cross-examination and uncover some point which enables me to prove t
Ashwin Dongre
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual a unique plot, great twists, and a satisfying ending.

For the first time Hamilton Burger gets to cross-examine Mason's witnesses. I wish the climax was in court though. The culprit is not really very hard to guess, however the motive is. It is mentioned almost in passing at the beginning, and it is mentioned as pulled out o hat in the end. But it does not peeve you. I just wish the climax was in the courtroom.

All in all a good Perry Mason mystery. Most reccomended.
Chris Mcgowan
(Audiobook Dec 2018) - Did not realize I was grabbing a Perry Mason case from likely the '80's. It was humorous to hear about the "best steak dinner in town" being a reward for a job well done, including their spouse or significant other and also the reliance on pay phones. OK storyline of whodunnit.
varun
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing read

I am a huge fan of Earl Stanley Gardner. His plots are intriguing and the twists unprecedented. Love the Mason-Drake-Street team. It is a fantastic book to read on a cozy afternoon
Tom
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It probably should not have been my introduction to Erle Stanley Gardner's novels. I like the Perry Mason TV series but it feels like he's trying too hard to breathe life into an already tired formula. Two words: "beatnik endowment".
Jenell Blue
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perry Mason was on television for years. The book was a good read with a great ending.
Gfec
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,4
gurusubramaniam
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a fan!

Perry Mason never disappoints. A good read any day. Its suave its stylish. Great dialogues and engaging courtroom argument.

Must read
Ed
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#75 in the Perry Mason series. An entertaining trial sequence where Perry is unable to demolish the prosecution's case before the DA rests and having to put his client on the stand give DA Hamilton Burger the chance to savage him. A last minute brainstorm has him enlisting homicide Lt. Tragg in a plot to reveal the real killer.

Perry Mason series - Mason's client is a young investment counselor who has violated several fiduciary duties in order to protect the lovely trust beneficiary
Les Anderson
Yet another case that isn't solved in the courtroom. This is probably the closest I've seen Mason come to losing a case. Especially since there was no clear killer. The events leading up to the murder sure show how things can be misinterpreted or misrepresented. The action-filled ending somehow felt unsatisfactory.
Vincent Darlage
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book was a fun read. ESG really kept Perry on the verge of losing the case until the book was nearly ended. The cover rather gives a vital clue, however I just thought the artist made a huge mistake when painting it (the murder weapon was a revolver, not an automatic). It wasn't until the end that I realized why the artist painted the automatic handgun.
পাঠক
Gave it a 3 because it was my first Perry Mason, and was way before I started Law school myself. Didnt know what to expect, but I suspect didnt expect too much, and was pleasantly surprised. Perry Mason became a favourite. This one was again full of turns, and then there was a chase of some sort and then Mason's ingenuity saved the day again, with some style.
Panu Mäkinen
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
Perry Mason ja huolestunut holhooja on Erle Stanley Gardnerin myöhäiskauden tuotantoa. Dialogi on kyllä herkullista, mutta juoni ei ole niin yllätyksellinen kuin monissa aikaisemmissa tarinoissa. Jälkikäteen muisteltuna tarinasta ei oikein jäänyt mitään mieleenkään.
Elizabeth S
Dec 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-mystery
The defense actually has to present a case in this one. In other words, Perry Mason didn't wrap things up before the prosecution finished its stuff. Rare. But you do get the frustration of seeing the prosecution cross-examine and tear apart witness testimony.
Angela Cerino
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting murder mystery, plus Garner's inimitable courtroom drama. This one also contains a little romance, too. Perry Mason is representing the trustee of an estate when the trustee is accused of murder. Mason has to pull out all the stops to defend him.
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Perry Mason with a nice deus ex machina ending. Nice.
Pratibha Pandey
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one from Perry's set !
A Michael
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nicely done Perry Mason case with a good twist at the end.
Erskine
Not great literature, but enough of a page-turner that I read it in one day.
Richa
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this one too. Though, I saw the outcome much early in the book. Nonetheless, good fast prose.
Rijo John
Milt Jacobs
May 02, 2019
I would trustee may be hiding something 1 2 Oct 10, 2015 12:19AM

• In High Places
  • A Deadly Shade of Gold (Travis McGee #5)
  • Son of Bhrigu (The Pataala Prophecy Book 1)
  • Fire Lover: A True Story
  • The Light of Day
  • Maandavan Kattalai
  • Night of the Crabs
  • The Professor (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #1)
  • A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2)
  • The Blunderer
  • Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction
  • Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans
  • உன்னில் என்னைக் கண்டுபிடி! and மரணயோகம் (க்ரைம் நாவல்)
  • Varnaavin Maranam
  • உள்ளத்தைக் கிள்ளாதே! (க்ரைம் நாவல்)
  • A Season on the Brink: A Year with Bob Knight and the Indiana Hoosiers
  • Be Cool (Chili Palmer, #2)
  • நான் உன்னோடு! நீ யாரோடு? (க்ரைம் நாவல் ஸ்பெஷல்)

Innovative and restless in his nature, he was bored by the routine of legal practice, the only part of which he enjoyed was trial work and the development of trial stra

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager
“of the murder and whether he could possibly have been out there at the country club at the time the murder was committed. “There’s not a chance. At the time the murder must have been committed, Hedley was in a drugstore having” 0 likes