Start by marking “Ernest and Celestine” as Want to Read:
Ernest and Celestine

Ernest and Celestine (Ernest et Célestine #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  267 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ernest, a bear, and Celestine, a mouse, lose Celestine's stuffed bird in the snow.
Library Binding, 25 pages
Published January 1st 1982 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ernest and Celestine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ernest and Celestine

Jamie
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The story is cute and the art is very well done. Celestine loses her favorite toy in the snow and ernest works hard to replace it. The love Ernest shows her and the love she has for her toy and the joy of sharing are all very evident.
For very young children, this is great but for a child who likes to ask questions, this book holds plenty. Such as "Why didn't Ernest just rescue the frozen toy?" Is Ernest her dad? She lives with his so he must be. Why doesn't she call him that and why is he a be
Cheryl
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally reading the first. Now I can easily assume that the mouse is a child, and was adopted by the bear. Still, as other reviewers have said, it's a puzzle why Ernest doesn't just pick up the frozen doll. Odd little book, probably even more charming in French.
Sara Lynn
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai adoré ce livre!
Ophélie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listofbetterment
Ernest and Celestine is about the heart-warming frriendship of a bear and a mouse. On the evening of a winter night, as they are taking a walk, Celestine drops on the floor her doll Gideon. They notice it too late, when the night is about to fall.

Following the events, Ernest tries to replace Gideon with other dolls, but in the end surprises Celestine with one he made himself.

The book teaches us about materiality and the importance and memories we attach to simple objects. Celestine wants the ori
Lieke
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think the best books are the ones that you remember for years and years. I had this book read to me when I was a little girl, and when i saw the pictures again as an adult, years later I remembered this book still..
Fjóla
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3 - 5 year olds, early reader
Such a tender book! This is one of those books that pinches your heart. I'm not sure if it was the delicate watercolor illustrations, the expressive faces of Celestine and Ernest, or the sparsity of words that touched me the most, but this story of friendship is so lovingly told.

My 4 year old really empathized with the characters, however he didn't understand why Ernest didn't rescue the frozen little stuffed bird when he found him in the snow, rather than go search for a new one. But he loved
Mathew
A really unusual picturebook which celebrates an inter-species relationship. Translated from French, the title, I feel loses some of its power. It was originally called 'Ernest and Celestine lose Simeon (Gideon). This helps focus what the story is really about - that dreaded moment when the adult is not able to give their child (or youngster) what they want or fix something that they want fixed.
With this in mind, the story is a very powerful one in which honesty and openness is key to the relat
Brigid Keely
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Ernest and Celestine," by Gabrielle Vincent, is an excellent example of a book that is out of print but shouldn't be.

My six year old and I watched the recently released movie titled "Ernest and Celestine," a movie vaguely loosely sort of kind of inspired by this charming book, a movie that used the same species and names as the original and otherwise had nothing in common with the original book. A movie that turned a gentle tale of two friends into a ham handed clumsy attempt to discuss ACCEPTA
Cocodras
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El primero de la serie. En tan pocas páginas, con tan pocas palabras, cuenta tantas cosas. Una pérdida, una fiesta de Navidad, un agradecimiento. Qué pena haber conseguido sólo tres libros de la serie.
Laura Verret
Ernest and Celestine are going for a walk. Ernest grabs the keys, Celestine grabs her stuffed animal, Gideon, and off they go into the maze of ice and snow. But when they return home, Celestine discovers that she dropped Gideon during their walk.

Will she ever recover from her loss?

Discussion.

I’ve read gobs and gobs of picture books. As in gobs and gobs. They come in all shapes and sizes, topics, rhyming schemes, and color palettes. This one was different in one respect from every other picture b
Trisha Hope
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have been waiting for to read this book for a long time. It was a beautiful story about a bear and a little mouse who looses her favorite doll. Ernest does all he can to make Celestine feel better but nothing can compare to her beloved doll. I know how Celestine feels, nothing can replace the bond you have with your favorite doll; it is unimaginable. Luckily Ernest is a creative bear and he helps Celestine's doll. Celestine and Ernest both end up happy. It is the best story. A must read!!!
The Brothers
I was a little.... befuddled by this book. We had watched the movie and loved it, but it quickly became apparent that the movie was not based on this book at all. Ernest (the bear) and Celestine (the mouse) live together. Celestine looses her favorite stuffed animal and Ernest tries to make it better.

Whimsical illustrations.
Emkoshka
Cute illustrations and a good ending for not only Gideon but also the replacement toys Celestine rejected. It's a little curious that every mouse child has bears for parents, but it is a children's book after all; things don't need to make sense! I enjoyed the immediacy achieved by telling the story entirely in dialogue; I felt like I was there.
Tanya
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tanya by: 1,0001 books to read before you grow up.
I really liked the love between the two main characters, realistic that one minute you can be so angry and then later so grateful. I like the willingness to look for a solution to make things right and the overall generosity of Ernest. Great role story for my kiddos!
Stacey
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great book-- I enjoyed this one morning with Caleb over and over and over again.
Anna
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, 2014
My favourite of the books so far. Simply adorable!
Nicole
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Some of my favorite and most memorable books as a child.
Anthony
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book, expertly written, with wondrous illustrations.
Ipek Soran
May 03, 2016
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
  • Barbapapa
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • Uppo-Nalle (Uppo-Nalle, #1)
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Martine à la ferme
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • Clown
  • Crocodile Beat
Monique Martin, alias Gabrielle Vincent, was a writer and illustrator of children's books from Belgium. She was born in Brussels on 9 September 1928, and died there on 24 September 2000. Her nom de plume is derived from the first names of her grandparents, Gabrielle and Vincent.

She worked as a painter of water color before beginning a career in the 1980s as an illustrator with the series Ernest et
More about Gabrielle Vincent...

Ernest et Célestine (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Bravo, Ernest and Celestine!
  • Ernest and Celestine's Picnic
  • Smile, Ernest and Celestine
  • Ernest and Celestine's Patchwork Quilt
  • Breakfast Time, Ernest and Celestine
  • Merry Christmas, Ernest and Celestine
  • Rataplan plan plan
  • La grande peur
  • Where Are You, Ernest and Celestine?
  • La Tante d'Amérique