Start by marking “Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard: The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of Difference” as Want to Read:

All of us are looking for ways to take control of our lives, whether in our relationships, our families, our work, our health, or our future plans. Daily challenges have a way of overwhelming us, making life harder than it needs to be. The good news is that the answers are out there. And they are Easier Than You Think.

In the phenomenal bestseller Don't Sweat the Small Stuf
Published April 26th 2005 by HarperOne (first published 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard

Start your review of Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard: The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of Difference
Kelsey
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars. I have heard of a lot of these suggestions, but I gained some new insights as well. I was really sad when I found out the author passed away in 2006, because he seemed like a great guy and wanted the best for others.
Deb
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*Small is big*

Don't let the small size of this book fool you. It's actually a nice metaphor for the overall message of the book: small is big.

As the author notes in the introduction, this book is all about "making small changes that bring great rewards to your life works." His approach is divided into four sections. The first, " A Penny for Your Thoughts," focuses on helping you to change the way you think. The second, "Take Five," provides ways to learn how not to react out of impulse or fear b
Tristan MacAvery
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
In law, a process known as "shepardizing" involves researching cases related to the one that you're representing, using Shepard's Citations. In each case that you look up, you can find other cases, which leads you to others, etc. Shepardizing should be thorough, and in theory could lead on forever; so how do you know when to stop? When the cases you find start referring back to cases you've already read.

Dr. Carlson's book is much the same. There are segments of this book that have already been c
Jason D'Souza
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Richard Carlson #1 theme before he would compete in a sports game and his approach to life is the same strategy of Bill Murray in "What About Bob."
Take it 1 step at a time.
A mentor taught 18 year old Richard Carlson to read 8 pages every day for a whole year and to put more into life then you take out of it.
Cassie Buckner
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Could have used a little more substance to this book. However, for as concise as it is - it truly packed a punch. The suggestions for being a better listener are easy ways to improve our life at home and at work... and something I know I need to work on.
Robert
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
The unabridged audiobook has four star advice and Richard Carlson does a four star job of reading his book. I give the book only three stars because almost all of the techniques he taught were things I've already learned from other sources. They are good techniques and I was happy to be reminded of some of them, but this book was less useful for me personally than it will be for many others. I'd suggest reading or listening to Richard Carlson's Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, and It's All Small Stu ...more
Debbie Deerwester
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is perfect for those in a rut and can only see the negative in everything. It basically tells you to change your thoughts to positive ones. Easier said sometimes than done. If you are looking for a way to change your life by doing something really simple read "29 Gifts" by Kami Walker.
Xhenifer Lila
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
If everyone would do all the things Richard Carlson says in this book the world would be a better place.
Kitty
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It was a life saver for me when I first read it. I frequently pull it out and re-read my favorite parts as reminders that life doesn't have to be so hard.
Amrutha Doosa
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking to make few changes in your current lifestyle but not sure of the direction to take, then this your go to book.
The chapters are small with about 2-3 pages with very clear examples on how a small a change can make a major difference. It’s easy to get hooked on to this book and finish asap.
It is also one of those books that you can just pick anytime you want and read a chapter that will help you get back on track.
Just the book I needed for my current lifestyle.
P
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
- Not bad but also not great
- Each chapter was so short that it lacked depth, though I suppose the point is that each change is small and simple so that not a whole lot of elaboration is needed
- Some of the advice felt slightly repetitive and I'm not sure whether there was any logical categorisation of them
- Might be good to go through the book a second time and take notes on things that particularly resonated
- It's a lot of common sense and perspective when you get down to it
Stephanie
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent quick read listing a number of small daily "course corrections" that one can make to change the quality of our lives! I only wish that the author (Rchard Carlson) was still with us to write more books.
Rachel
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was a simplistic review of different small changes you can make in your life to improve your mood. I could see this as a quick, easy read to make positive changes in different areas either as an adjunct to therapy or as a self help book.
Michelle Gragg
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book had some good nuggets but overall it is a privilege to just ignore the hard parts of life and oversimplifies patterns of thinking and behaving. It’s chapter after chapter of “put on rose colored glasses”. And I struggled through it.
Heather Larcombe
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick collection of good advice.
Fullfaun Faun
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick read. Finished it in a half hour.
Richard
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute little book I found at the library
Janis
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Amazing reminders of how to have a more fulfilled and joyful life.
Blanche
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audio Book, A great reminder of things that really do make a difference in your life.
Marissa
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

It is great for light reading before bed (not too overwhelming) but it also comes with a big life impact
Mary
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
Quick read by the author of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. A few good ideas.
Melanie
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good info and tips
Stacy
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice easy read …. good common sense stuff we need to be reminded of sometimes.
Kim Tong Lim
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr Richard Carlson wrote the bestselling book “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” back in 1996. I was a fan of him back then reading quite a number of “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” series. I picked up “Easier than you think” by chance in 2005, the year before 2006 when he died at age 45.” Life was so unpredictable but I am glad that I have learned about coping with life challenges through his books.

“Easier than you think, because life doesn’t have to be so hard” provides ideas of small changes in your
Angela
Apr 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Written by the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff, this is a wonderful little book to give you that extra bit of push to work through your problems, concerns and stresses in life. It’s a quick read and provides quality advice for overcoming problems and taking control of your lives. It’s a basic self-help book that provide you simple and easy steps to take to make the daily challenge of life not seem so difficult to handle.

In “Easier Than You Think…” Dr. Carlson
Christina
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book. Such wonderful simple practical wisdom. I share the stories with my husband and 5 years old nephew and they both love it too.

I must have listen to this at least 10-15 times and it's nothing new; it's how I was raised by my amazingly loving parents and I have amazingly wonderful kind, loving role models and friends who also live and practice these practical suggestions.

If you have kids, definitely listen/read/share with them, no matter what age. It is helpful for all,
Hoan
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a self help book that really stresses staying positive by doing small things. I think since many people are resistant to major changes, small changes may be key. I actually really enjoyed reading this - it reenforced the notion to be grateful for the little things in life and to lighten up. We are often too hung up on the stupid things in life and focus on the negative quite too often. Maybe if we change our attitude and look to the positive, we all won't be so grumpy. This book strongl ...more
Ethan Fleck
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helps you to put lots of things about your life in perspective. One of those books that you can see benefit in at any point in life. At the time I was reading this, I found out someone at work was under a lot of stress with pretty much the highest blood pressure that you can have before having a heart attack. He is taking the week off to relax and get some medicine, but I got the chance to talk to him and reminded him what's truly important in life. I like to think this book really helped me to ...more
Elissa
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I found this book to be a quick and refreshing self-help book. It doesn't have any really new things to say. Instead, each chapter is a little reminder of something a person could do to improve their life, such as being content with what you have, working toward goals, taking time for yourself, etc. I got this from the library, but I think I will buy it just to read every once in awhile. It has a lot principles that I could really work on. There could be (and have been) books written on each sub ...more
Waseem
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first experience with any of Richard Carlsons work, and to my pleasant surprise, I'm not sure why I haven't heard or come across him before, this is a fantastic book and amazingly simply put. Some fantastic golden nuggets of information that can help your life in more ways than one...

...and as the title says, the author really puts the content across which really makes you see and believe..that it really is 'easier than you think' - and life can be so much more simple

Waseem Mirza
http:
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Electric Heir (Feverwake #2)
  • Bonsai: A beginners guide
  • Little Black Book of Connections: 6.5 Assets for Networking Your Way to Rich Relationships
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
  • Grain Bowls: Bulgur Wheat, Quinoa, Barley, Rice, Spelt and More
  • Run Fast. Eat Slow.
  • Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow.: Quick-Fix Recipes for Hangry Athletes
  • Once Upon a Chef, the Cookbook: 100 Tested, Perfected, and Family-Approved Recipes (Easy Healthy Cookbook, Family Cookbook, American Cookbook)
  • Almost Just Friends (Wildstone, #4)
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
Richard Carlson, Ph.D, was born and raised in the Bay Area. He grew up in Piedmont and received his bachelor's degree from Pepperdine University and his doctorate in psychology from Sierra University before opening a private psychotherapy practice.

During his life, he was considered one of the foremost experts in happiness and stress reduction in the United States and around the world and was a fre

News & Interviews