Start by marking “The Quilt” as Want to Read:
The Quilt

The Quilt

A small African-American girl is overjoyed with the new patchwork quilt her parents have made. As she sleeps, it comes alive, turning into a fantastical dreamscape she must enter in order to find her beloved stuffed dog. An ALA Notable Children's Book. Full color.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1994 by Puffin (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Quilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quilt

Start your review of The Quilt
Jae
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having completely forgotten about this wonderful book from my childhood, I rediscovered it on the shelves today. It still holds up over 20 years later.
Nicole A
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite childhood stories. I checked it out of the library every other week, as often as I was allowed to when I was about 4-5 years old.
Janet
Quilt stories are always good, but the story and illustrations are really more about the girl's dream.
Patrick Resse
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: musso
The Quilt by Ann Jones, is a wonderful piece of realistic fiction that show a child’s wonder after receiving a nice quilt and the wonderful imagination she exhibits when playing on it. This book is most appropriate for children in kindergarten and first grade and does not have any awards. The young girl receives a quilt from her parents that has a bunch of fabrics from items she used to have in her room and throughout the house. She then puts it on her bed and falls in love with all the pretty ...more
Kyra Christiansen
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I think this story would be great for students first learning how to read - the words are a bit simpler, and more of the focus is drawn to the illustrations. That being said, I thought the illustrations were beautiful and really helped capture the girl's imagination. I also liked that the girls was a POC, as there isn't enough variety in children's books and would love to add it to an early childhood classroom.
Hannah
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The simplicity of the text, beautiful illustrations, and meaningful storyline make this book perfect for students just learning how to read. This book adds to the diversity of my library and I love the main character of this book.
Emily McDonald
The quilt tells a story by what it is made of.. good for an artifact lesson
Angie Riddick
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read excerpts of this book to some pre schoolers. Brought quilts in to hold their attention. Book was a little wordy in some passages for certain age groups. Overall they enjoyed the book and participated in explaining some if the pictures in the book.
Sydney Porter
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book for a read aloud at my local library for African American History Month. Easy read as well as easy understanding for children!
Tichina Fung-chung
I'll never forget when a student-teacher in my kindergarten class gave me this book. I used to read it all the time and I loved it so much that I would take picture walks through the book because the pictures were so detailed and inviting. The story is about a little girl who takes the patches in her quilt and brings them to life with her imagination. A great lesson would be to have each student create their own personal quilts after reading the story.
Connie
Nov 07, 2009 rated it liked it
The text is simple enough that a young child should be able to read it, so this book might work very well in a kindergarten, first grade, or even second grade classroom.

However, I don't really like the pictures, personally. This is a matter of taste, but all the same... I think I'm going to donate this to my niece's school.
Jill
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
The beginning was cute and all nostalgic and made me want to start keeping some of my kids clothes instead of donating them to the DI or handing them down to the next relative in line. And then the story continued...and it morphs into a horrible dream. My three-year-old was looking at the book with confusion. So was I. A good idea but as a whole - not a favorite.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
Sally owned a quilt that was big enough to cover her whole body. She had a dog that she liked very much and one day the dog could not find her. He went looking for her outside, at the zoo, circus, and the tunnel and the ocean. He finslly came back home and found her tucked under her blanket.
Larry Carter
I think this book is great for the first day of.school when things are new and scary however once you move past it everything is ok.
Mikanchin

思い出がいっぱいつまったおふとん。つくってみルのもいいかも。
Cheryl
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: El Paso Library
Quaint, heartwarming story with bright illustrations that support the text well. It was really sweet.
Paula
It might be a difficult book for story time, and needs some explaining but it is a cute story
A child's new patchwork quilt recalls old memories and provides new adventure at bedtime.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
the dreams a child can come up with about her quilt
Lindsay
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
quilts - a girl's imaginative adventure on a quilt as her memory is prompted by the different quilt squares
Lesley Looper
This story shows a quilt with family history and a little girl with a good imagination. The illustrations are nice as well.
Rachel Chandler
This is a good book to talk to kids about their dreams and how they can take them to all kinds of different places.
Mckinley
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: heroine, craft, picture, sew
Imagination at it's best.
Polly
I adored this book as a child. The creepiness of the long tunnel and the way the quilt turns into scenery stayed with me into adulthood, and I was so delighted to discover it again a few years ago!
Sandra
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
A little girl reminisces of times passed as well as imagined adventures all of which are inspired from her new patchwork quilt.
Lisa
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
This story gave me a panic attack :o(
Daniel
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I like the way Ann reminds the reader that a quilt is, among other things, a patchwork of memories; and those memories can be a doorway to creating new memories . . . real or imagined.
Amy

• Horses!
  • Horseplay
  • Noni The Pony
  • Noni the Pony Rescues a Joey
  • Horses: Trotting! Prancing! Racing!
  • If I Had a Horse