Start by marking “Legends of the Ferengi (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)” as Want to Read:
Legends of the Ferengi (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Legends of the Ferengi (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

"Once you have their money, never give it back." -- #1

"Anything worth doing is worth doing for money." -- #13

For centuries these and the other famous Ferengi "Rules of Acquisition' have been the guiding principles of the galaxy's most successful entrepreneurs. But the wisdom behind them was not won without a high cost in lives and latnium.

Now at last these inspiring tale

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published December 1st 1997 by Audioworks (first published August 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Legends of the Ferengi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends of the Ferengi

Emma
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh this did make me chuckle. Just having re-watched DS9, Quark's voice was fresh in my mind while reading this. A nice little read but it didn't include the (unofficial) rule #286 :

"When Morn leaves, it's all over"

Autumn
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great. :)
Dann
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A wonderful piece of meta fiction, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Legends of the Ferengi is incredibly fun and entertaining. The book is essentially a collection of short stories and fables that either illustrate, or are the basis for, the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. And while they’re “told to” Quark by series producer Ira Steven Behr and writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe, they’re not cannon and aren’t supposed to be taken seriously. By listing Quark as the author the reader is told right upfront the s ...more
Jen
Tales of the Ferengi, as told by Quark. I have this on audiobook, so it is narrated by Armin... I mean Quark. Quark tells tales of the Ferengi to you and tries to sell you things. I loved every moment of my nostalgia.
David
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YOU MUST GET THE AUDIOBOOK. I'm not kidding. It's a jewel.
Kristina Moses
Rob
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though there are lots of bit of wisdom in this book, please if you are still human do not make the rules of acquisition your new religion. This book is amusing, maybe not for young impressionable children. This is a good read.
Alex
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok thought it was a lot of fun. I'm glad there are reviews advising readers to get this book.
Tony
For me this book was hit and miss. It's handy to have the rules written down in one place, and the book is often funny, clever, and even genuinely insightful, but it is also often unfunny, creepy (the sexism of the ferengi is less amusing without the skilled actors to back it up), and dated. That being said, if you are a big fan of the ferengi on DS9 it is worth checking out or keeping for reference. As for entertainment value though, I would recommend the audiobook version over this. It is tech ...more
Matt Randall
This was a fun little book full of Ferengi legends, stories, random memos, notes, and even one of Quark's second grade reports, all of which are used to illustrate different Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. It's nothing too deep, but it's a nice book to keep on your bedside table since you can pick it up, read a few of the entries, and then put it down. I don't think I'd pay $12 for it, but I picked it up at a Half-Price Books and feel like I got my money's worth out of it. Definitely a good read i ...more
Amory Blaine
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Capitalists
Legends of the Ferengi feels exactly like its species: amusing in short bursts and grating in larger doses. The book is full of assorted lists, letters, instructions, and anecdotes, each representing a different Rule of Acquisition. Not all the rules are included, but there are enough to remind us that the Ferengi are a greedy, sexist, xenophobic culture consistently played for laughs. But the joke's on us: as Quark glibly reminds us on the final page, "Deep down, everyone's a Ferengi."
Tess
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The 285 Rules of Acquisition are crucial for any good Ferengi businessman to know by heart. Quark, for a modest fee, has written many of them down for us to learn, along with the historical connection to the creation of each Rule.
A funny read, great for any Star Trek fan, especially fans of DS9. Sadly, not all 285 Rules are actually published anywhere, but feel free to make up your own.
Claire Gilligan
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
The Legends of the Ferengi itself was great fun! Music and sound effects were too loud, but the stories themselves, plus Armin Shimmerman's narration, were brilliant.

However! Learning that nearly half the audiobook was a surprise TOS story? Not cool, guys! Much improved by Leonard Nimoy narrating parts, but come on! Truth in advertising, Audible! :(
John Barclay
A very silly book. Basically a lot of jokes strung together using the Rules of Acquisition as a hook. Lots of fun, but not really anything more. The Ferengi are such a poorly thought out race that they really only serve as comic relief, which is the point of this book.
David
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
William Ramsey
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun
Grace Best-Page
It's a fun addition to my library.
Jessica
worth every slip of latinum I paid for it (~$1). every page had me laughing and wanting to quote it out loud to whomever was nearby (usually my guinea pigs).
B. Reese
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
shockingly relevant to living in the corporate American machine.

on a daily basis I have seen these rules unwittingly lived out by people in the workplace.

it all makes so much sense now
André
Amusing! Too bad it only contains 70 rules, and not all 285.
Ross Buffa
Jun 12, 2018
Lindsay
Jul 08, 2014
Chris Cox
May 15, 2011
Marilyn Gillaspie
rated it did not like it
Sep 30, 2015
Jul 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The 34th Rule
  • Kahless
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • The Tempest (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #19)
  • Fallen Heroes
  • Night of the Wolves (Star Trek: Terok Nor, #2)
  • Wrath of the Prophets (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #20)
  • Hollow Men (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
  • The War of the Prophets
  • Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Warped (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • I, Q
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • The Long Night (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #14)