Start by marking “Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust” as Want to Read:
Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust

Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust

What is dust? More than you think.

What can it do? You will be surprised.

Dust may seem small, dark, dirty, and dull. But it's the secret behind one of the largest, most colorful sights on earth.

Published March 29th 2005 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Stars Beneath Your Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars Beneath Your Bed

Melki
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charlie Brown's pal Pigpen likes to claim that he's not surrounded by dirt, but the "dust of ancient civilizations" and, good grief - he's right!

In Sayre's book, we learn that Dust is little bits of things. Crumbled leaves, dog dander, volcanic ash, skin flakes, scales from butterfly wings, and tiny pieces of asteroids make dust that travels all over the world. It can stay in the air for hundreds and thousands of years.

Dust is responsible not only for our beautiful sunsets and sunrises,
Tom
Dec 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
1st-4th Grade

April Pulley Sayre makes science interesting for children in this book that tells about the origins of dust. She gives the student examples of where the dust might have come from and gets their imaginations involved to think of how dust has an effect on our lives. She keeps the subject light by reducing the text to not interfere with the colorful illustrations that are done by Ann Jones. This book gets into the fact that dust is always around us and has been here forever
Amber
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Genre: Junior Book- Informational
Summary: This poetic picture book tells the story of dust in a way that will interest readers of all ages. You learn what dust is, where it comes from, and other interesting facts that might surprise you. At the end, there is a longer and in depth explanation to some of the things talked about in the book.
Critique: Theme- Interconnected World
The pictures really bring this story to life. Each picture shows displays such different habitats which convey
Nieva21
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
would say there is a very good flow with this style of writing. She writes clear and as it does some-what rhyme the metrical aspect of this writing helps the child with their literacy as well. But aside from that, I also noticed that she chose things in the large external environment that a child could easily relate to, such as “dust is made everywhere, every day. A flower drops pollen. A dog shakes dirt from it’s fur. A butterfly flutters, and scales fall off its wings. That’s dust. Dust is li ...more
Chalice
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Stars Beneath Your Bed (The Surprising Story of Dust) is a clever way to teach kids about the sneaky almost invisible concept of dust.
It shows that dust comes from everything and that is just what it is.... little bits of things (big AND small things)!
The author uses specific examples to get kids minds thinking creatively.
"Dust can be bits of unexpected things- a crumbling leaf, the eyelash of a seal, the scales of a snake, the smoke of burning toast, ash from an erupting volcano."
Amber Bush
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Sayre, A. (2005). Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust. Greenwillow Books.

Picture Book Projec

Choice/ ALSC 2006 Notable Children's Books

This concept book talks about an interesting and not so often discussed subject, dust. The book talks about all the things that dust can come from and I can personally say that I did not think of even half of the examples. The illustrations were created in a way that enhanced the words and really put dust into a visu
Ronda
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book--from pictures to concept. "At sunrise, the sun, low in the sky, peeks through dusty air. Dust from us and dirt and dinosaurs scatters light, painting the sky like fire." This is a quick read that can be used to bring some interesting new perspective to an everyday substance. Makes me think a little more fondly of the dust I have (unintentionally) collected at home--after all if it could have made King Tut sneeze or "muddied a dinosaur" that dust might have a long, lo ...more
Alice
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars The title is "The Surprise Story of Dust" and it didn't disappoint. The pictures are great, the wording is good but not my taste...just not smooth and flowing. I learned that the dust from the dinosaur era could be on my computer screen and the dust Martin Luther King Jr brushed from his coat could be on my car! Very interesting. I haven't thought about dust being cosmic...part of it coming from outer space! A lot to think about!!
Deanna Vaughn
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book about where dust comes from and why it is around. It gives cute examples throughout the book. The book also has certain rhyming patterns that continue as you read on. I really think that children will like that aspect of the book. The pictures are very neat and colorful. I like this book because it tells children why dust is around and where it comes from. Some children may never think about dust until this book.
Amelia
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book -- science and poetry together. To me, it seemed perfect for my kids, and I would have given it 5 stars no problem, but I made the mistake of mentioning that I loved it to my 4 year old. He DID NOT love it. "There were no stars!" he objected. He wanted it to be much more dramatic. But I thought it was great, so maybe this is just a kids' book that's really for the parents.
Chak
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid
It is not often that I get interested in a story about dust, but this book is listed as a "notable children's book" for a reason. I won't give it all away here, but if your child is interested in space or stars, this book will be very fascinating.
Jeanette Hargreaves
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I give this book five stars because it expands the mind to think about systems and how everything is related. The dust under the bed might have once been dinosaur bones, or stardust, just like the stuff we are made of.
Dolly
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A fascinating look at dust and to a smaller extent, the cycle of life and how all things are created from what came before. It has a poetic narrative and colorful illustrations and is short enough to keep a child's attention while still teaching about science.
Cari Young
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a GREAT non-fiction read-aloud for kindergarten. I was surprised by what I learned in this book. I asked our students before I started the book what they THINK dust is made of. Then, I asked them after reading the book what they KNOW it is made of. Highly recommended!
Riley Sorem
The illustrations in this book are beautiful, almost as beautiful as the words. Written in a poetic manor this book graphically describes how all things are dust, and tells where dust comes from. This story took a plain everyday nuisance and painted it into a beautiful mystery of life.
Carter and Harrison
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Loved the opportunity for conversation and teachable moment. Great! The kids really loved the concept that there are particles left by dinosaurs still around today, and I really loved the end of the book summary.
Matthew
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This explanation of dust couldn't have been much simpler or more clearly presented. It was interesting. I didn't truly appreciate the role dust plays in our lives before I read this. Now, I am very much aware and extremely impressed. A highly recommended read for anyone on Earth.
Kate
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Amanda
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-s-books
I thought this title was going to make for a fantastic imagination story, but I should've looked at the subtitle to know that's not the case. For a scientifically minded curious kid, this would be perfect, but for a wiggly toddler, not so much.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who knew that a book about dust would be so interesting! It also grossed us out a little bit because dust is really old. The dust under our bed could've touched a dinosaur, and our skin flakes off all the time, and that is dust, too. YUCK!
Lori
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to 4th graders at Kiwanis and it was well-received. I love this story. April Pulley Sayre and Ann Jonas are a good team--I hope they collaborate again soon.
Beverly
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbnf-500
Who knew dust could be so fascinating?
Julie
have no
beauty!
Sandra
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another favorite from our summer reading promotion. Beautiful watercolor illustrations and interesting science in a poetic manner.
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating information in story form and beautifully illustrated about dust and its effects on us today even from thousands of years ago.
Richelle Rininger
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about what dust is.
Kate
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was a little disappointed by this book, as I thought it was have use a little more imagination; however, I did learn some interesting facts about dust.
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would not have guessed that a book about dust would be fascinating! This is a great springboard for further research by students, and the text is enhanced by scientific explanations at the end.
Denise
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Educational.....I've learned some things about dust that I hadn't known before or even considered.
Bill Hice
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
My six year old loved this.
April Pulley Sayre is an award-winning children’s book author of over 55 natural history books for children and adults. Her read-aloud nonfiction books, known for their lyricism and scientific precision, have been translated into French, Dutch, Japanese, and Korean. She is best known for pioneering literary ways to immerse young readers in natural events via creative storytelling and unusual persp ...more