Start by marking “The Friendly Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
The Friendly Jane Austen

The Friendly Jane Austen

Every generation rediscovers Jane Austen with a renewed passion for her timeless stories of romance, family relations, and foibles of human nature. Today she is more popular than ever. Natalie Tyler captures the essence of this enthusiasm in a book that shuns obscure academic approaches and provides lively discussions about every one of Austen's novels and characters. Read ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Friendly Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Friendly Jane Austen

Sophia
I am still laughing as I type up this review- laughing at myself that is. I recently read a review on this book and thought 'How fun! I want to read that one. I'll put it on the wish list.'
Yes, well, *shame face here* I already owned it which I discovered when I was moving some books around.

Okay to my review...
The Friendly Jane Austen is exactly what the title says. The author's goal was to make a new generation come to know Jane Austen and her works without boring them to tears. She wanted to i
Teresa
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful read. Full of varied information about Austen. From her life and family to synopsis of her books, on to lists of film adaptations and sequels to the books, this has it all. Any Janeite would enjoy it but I'd highly recommend it to people who are just discovering Jane and would like a foundation to base their reading on. Informative without being heavy.
Kelly
Aug 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My mom told me I *had* to read this book. I admit it was slow getting into it, but once I was in, I was set. I have always loved Jane Austen and this book was filled with interesting tidbits about Jane's life and the characters of her stories.
Faith-Anne
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Janeites
"Fun" book on Jane Austen. It's filled of things to agree with/disagree with & things to think about. I love it.
victoria_tonks
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Do you love to read books by Jane Austen? Do you watch the film adaptions and sigh every time Mr. Darcy is on the screen? Do you love Jane Austen's world? Then this is a book you must read!

It is filled with fun, trivia, facts, quizzes, interviws, pictures, history, and critical analysises about various subjects in Jane Austen's writing!

Here is an example of a critical analysis, nothing too boring: Rakes and Rattles
The author describes these terms as the two least appealing type of men who bed
Melissa
Sep 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is fantastic to sit around with friends and read from! There are hilarious quizzes to determine how vulgar you are and which Jane Austen character you most resemble. It's also an excellent book for those who have never read Jane Austen's work before and want to get started.
Sunni
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An informative but fun look at Austen's world and the lives of her characters. Very engrossing and saucy when it's called for.
Natalie Newell
This book was given to me by one of my English professors. I thought it was a fun read for any Austen fan. It gives a good insight into Jane Austen for those who have just begun to love her.
Anne
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I practically gorged myself on all the Austen trivia, the interviews with experts, the details about her life, and minutia hidden in each book. The only reason I gave this one a 4 rating was the last third of the book is outdated since it was published in 2001. Time for an updated copy of this, Natalie Tyler. I'd buy it!
Ann
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the easiest to use Austen references.
Kate
"Every generation rediscovers Jane Austen with a renewed enthusiasm for her timeless novels. In recent years, Austen has become more popular than ever as nearly every one of her books has been gorgeously filmed and reinterpreted to reflect today's sensibilities. Both diehard Austen addicts and new converts to the cult will find endless revelations and witty insights in The Friendly Jane Austen. With quizzes, eye-catching illustrations, interviews with Austen scholars and admirers, a filmography, ...more
Amy
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-austen
I have a confession...I am only supposed to be skimming these Jane Austen biographies for my argumentative essay. In fact, I got a dozen of them from the library because I assumed I could do just that, skim quickly, gleaning useful bits. I did not expect to make one huge discovery about myself:
I am a Janeite. Of course, I should have realized this ages ago but it wasn't until I started reading biographies about her that I realized how serious the matter was. Not only do I find myself reading ev
Nancy Young
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An invaluable tool for a writer working on a Regency romance, this study is cheeky as well as entertaining.
Vicki
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scholarship
This is a fun, lightly scholarly book from a fun Austen scholar. Friendly is a very good word for the whole undertaking -- you feel like you're talking with an extremely knowledgeable fellow Austenite. There are some really great things in here -- quotes about Austen from everybody from Harold Bloom to Bea Arthur. Small sections of information about Austen, her characters, the places she went, and then it goes farther. Bibliographies and movies, bookstores (probably out of date in some cases, th ...more
Bethany
Sep 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jane Austen Readers
I just happened upon this little gem at my local bookstore and after thumbing through the pages for about a minute, I knew I had to have it. The layout of the book is superb as it highlights each of Miss Austen's novels and gives facts, fun lists and quotations in a light-hearted yet interesting manner. My favourite part is a list measuring Austen's antagonists in terms of "Eltons" after that lovely piece of work, Mrs. Elton in Emma. There is something for the long-time fan as well as anyone new ...more
Amy
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book for all Jane Austen fans. I was particularly interested in biographical info on Miss. Austen. This book lightly skims this aspect providing only the brief basics. The remainder of the book consists of "articles" by the author and interviews of Austen scholars and movie directors. There are only a few quizzes (which was a selling point for this book). The format is neat. This is a great book for Austen beginners and lovers who want insights/explanations (what exactly is Mrs.E' ...more
Ann Michael
Dec 20, 2007 rated it liked it
A handy compendium for an Austen overview, presented in a chatty, familiar style (I could do without interviews of actors who've played Austen characters, but I suppose this adds to the book's general interest). Helpful as a source for further study/reading. Reminded me that I haven't re-read Persuasion in a very long time.

I borrowed this book to help me get general background for a book group I'm running in spring. It was quite helpful!
Denise
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did you know that in England there is a monastery that bases some of its retreats around the works of Jane Austen? Oh - how I would like to experience that! Learn other interesting tidbits like this - from interviews to short analyses of Austen's works, with some test-your-Austen-knowledge quizzes thrown in there for further entertainment. One of the most captivating works of non-fiction I've read in a long time - though it probably helps that it's all about Jane Austen.
Bryan
Aug 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-crit
Picked this up because, while reading Sense and Sensibility, I felt I was missing a lot of the nuances of early 19th century English life. I thought some background would be helpful.

The book is good, I recommend it, but a bit too Harry Knowles-fanboy-ish for my tastes. I could've done without the cute little quizzes and some of the interviews with academics.
Mrsgaskell
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, own, 8-star
This is a collection of commentaries, quizzes, interviews, quotes, bibliography and filmography. It is all about Jane Austen, her life, her works, and her influence. It’s not an academic book, rather geared to those who just enjoy Austen and can’t get enough of her.
My book rating: 8 stars
Cindy
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A mostly fun little guide to Jane Austen, her life, and her books. I skimmed through this one, but I liked reading different essays about the books and new ways of looking at her writing. I would only recommend this for real Austen fans.
Effie
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Ah, Jane. How much do I love you? Enough to read any and every book I come across about you, that's how much. This deals a little too much with the works she wrote as a young child and teenager, but it's still fascinating.
Rebecca Huston
A great introduction to the fiction and world of Jane Austen. Goes a long way towards untangling what is going on, and understanding the background of the novels. A must for those who love Ms. Austen.
Jonelle
I am trying to figure out why I like the movies, but cannot seem to enjoy (or read) the books. ... Some interesting bio and historical period facts in this book--and help with figuring out thost books of hers. So far, I still don't get the Jane-ite fanaticism, but I'm learning....
Lady Dixie
Fun look at Jane Austen's novels.
Jim
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as The Friendly Dickens, The Friendly Shakespeare or The Friendly Universe but it did make me want to see the BBC Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth). Also Emma and Clueless again.
Gabby
This book is great for reports for school on Jane Austen, everything you need and more. But it's so well written and interesting you'll probably just start reading it for fun.
Bryn
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book to read if you're interested in the biography of Jane Austen
Helen
I enjoyed this book and learned about Jane Austen by reading it. It was interesting and fun to read.
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels
  • Celebrating Pride and Prejudice: 200 Years of Jane Austen's Masterpiece
  • In the Garden with Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen: A Life
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Jane Austen: The Truth about the World's Most Intriguing Romantic Literary Heroine
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades  Horrible Blunders
  • Searching for Jane Austen
  • Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen, Her Life and Letters: A Family Record
  • The Jane Austen Handbook: A Sensible Yet Elegant Guide to Her World
I like Shakespeare, the romantic poets, the Victorian poets, modernists, middle-brow novelists and many kinds of murder mysteries and intriguing non-fiction books.

My favorite novelists are Austen, Trollope, Dickens, Eliot, Wharton, Pym, Iris Murdoch, and Elizabeth Taylor. I also like most of the great Russian novelists and just about anything that remains from the days of the doughty old widow at