Start by marking “Hellenic Immortal (Immortal, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hellenic Immortal (Immortal, #2)

Hellenic Immortal (Immortal #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  986 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
“Very occasionally, I will pop up in the historical record. Most of the time I’m not at all easy to spot, because most of the time I’m just a guy who does a thing and then disappears again into the background behind someone-or-other who’s busy doing something much more important. But there are a couple of rare occasions when I get a starring role.”

--Adam the Immortal

An ora
Paperback, First, 277 pages
Published May 3rd 2012 by The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House (first published May 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hellenic Immortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellenic Immortal

Passion For Pages
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review from http://passionforpages.blogspot.ca/20...

I’m always a little nervous when starting the second book in a series, especially if I loved the first book. Will it live up to my expectations? What if it doesn’t? What if I find it mind numbingly boring because of a crappy plot and characters that lost the zest they had in book one? Will the author’s eagerness to publish the next installment ruin what I loved about the series to begin with?

Thankfully, I didn’t have to worry about any of that
Astrid Paramita
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always a bit skeptical about sequels. Especially if it’s the second book. Most times, it failed my expectation by either being a preamble to the amazing conclusion for the third book, or just plain boring. I am happy to report this is definitely not the case with Hellenic Immortal.

It continues on the adventures of Adam, some years after Immortal. It follows a Greek cult and mythology background, some crazy environmentalist, packs a lot of action and a little bit of romance.

The beginning sol
Sandra
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy Fantasy with historical facts
In this sequel to "Immortal", Gene Doucette delivers another fantastic page-turner that kept me riveted to the pages.

Adam, our immortal man, is nursing a somewhat broken heart in Las Vegas a couple of years after the end of the first book, when he notices a young woman following him. With snark and sarcasm, he soon realizes that her intentions are not quite kosher, especially when he's visited in the middle of the night by a man who identifies himself as an FBI agent.

A bit of action and subterf
Blue
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this better than the first in the series, I think, though they were both enjoyable. This one feels a bit more coherent (possibly because a good portion of world-building is already done) and just does a solid job as a... light-hearted mystery-thriller? I have no idea what genre to call these. There are still overarching mysteries in the story arc to be answered, and I'm hoping we don't get a Lemony Snicket-esque cop-out at the end, but this was a quick and enjoyable read. Plus the main c ...more
John Herbert
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nine-out-of-ten
This follow-up book to the brilliant IMMORTAL is highly satisfying.
Of course the impact could never be as great as the first book because you know roughly what's coming.
But the Greek God connection is entertaining and the modern day quest to find answers is always gripping.

You could start with this book but I seriously recommend that you start at the beginning with IMMORTAL.

It seems that IMMORTAL 3 is in production and I, for one, can't wait.
Doucette's style makes for a comfortable read, and the
Lukas Lovas
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book of the series, and I still think it's a 5/5. Great, isn't it? :) Happens less often than I would wish.

I am not quite sure, what to think of the implications of the ending...but I liked the book itself a lot. I'm curious about the third book....whether the trend of enjoyable books continues and, especially, if he's going to chase Eve/Allmother forever, or if he'll actually pin her down someday.
Lena
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, vampire
Better the on the second read, practically required as it features prophecies and a slowly revealed secondary plot line. In this book we learn more about Adams time in Greece as Dionysus, yes that was just as fun as it sounds, and the other "mythical" creatures he has befriended over the millennia. I liked it but mostly it left me greedy for book three!
Anoop Menon
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great Great and i can say it is much better than the first , mind you the first is great by itself and the second book stands out and is much better.. great story line with great mysteries and excellent tie-up with the greek mythology.. want more of Adam cant get enough of this series..
Steve
Something tells me Doucette really identifies with the immortal who stars in this series. The plot is interesting and the characters are delightful. And there's another book in the series to read.. Perfect!
Tamer Sadek
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh this series is so much fun. A cynical sarcastic (slightly) alcohol 60000 man and his story. Fun!
Robert2481
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun!
Tahlia Newland
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In Immortal, Gene Doucette’s first novel in this series, we met Adam, an immortal man who is not a vampire, simply a man who doesn’t age. Apart from that, he’s an ordinary kind of guy with a wonderful wit, and it’s a pleasure to meet him again in this fascinating sequel, a clever blend of history, mythology, fantasy, adventure, mystery and romance.

Blurb: An oracle has predicted the sojourner's end, which is a problem for Adam insofar as he has never encountered an oracular prediction that didn't
Tracy Jones
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Hellenic Immortal” is an amazing continuance in the world of Adam the Immortal. Once again the dynamic adventures of his present day life intermingles with something from his long life’s past, sending him on a quest to undo a previous wrong that he had not intended to do. In his own words, Adam admits to the mistakes he has made and knows without question that it is up to him to find a solution to a very bad situation that has reared its ugly head in the present. With the help of friends, old ...more
Liang
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hrmmmm...I'm very shattered to give a 4 star review, especially after an amazing first book. I was in love with the first, but the second book wasn't as exciting for me. There's just so much Greek mythology that kind of lost me. I suppose somebody who's into that stuff might enjoy this more. I still liked it nevertheless. I love the little tales of his past too. It's so funny how many cultures of the past regarded him as a God. I still want to be Adam. I mean, who wouldn't want longevity!? And o ...more
Katrina Marie
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hellenic Immortal takes place a couple of years after Adam's escape from the compound. Adam has to figure out how to keep an oracle's prediction from happening. She predicts his end, and he can't have that.

We learn that Adam has held some pretty impressive names over his life span. (You'll have to read the book to find them out ;). ) We are also introduced to new breeds of creatures including: satyrs, werewolves, and nymphs.

During Adam's trips into memory lane we get to see Ancient Greece. Gre
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This book left me very disappointed. It picked up shortly after the first book ended, but had almost no returning characters and didn't answer many of the questions I had after reading the first book. I did learn quite a bit about a particular period of Adam's history, but there were so many rambling asides that it was hard to keep track of the many storyline.

I found the humour to be much less than in the first book. The story kept my attention in the second half, but it didn't have the same imp
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Full Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

Gene Doucette has created a character with a wonderful, self-deprecating voice and the way the tale is spun is perfectly paced. All the little trailing details come together at the end of the story in a delightful way and the on-going tease of the immortal woman met briefly in the previous novel is added to in this one. With just a few glimpses of supporting characters from the first book, another interesting cast is introduced in this one, an
Raymond Masters
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Last April, I hosted an excerpt to Gene Doucette’s Immortal to help out his blog tour. As I indicated, it is one of my favorites from recent memory. Naturally, when I heard that Doucette was coming out with its sequel, I jumped all over it. I wasn’t sure if Hellenic Immortal would be better than the original, but I knew it would have to really blow me away for that to happen. Well, let’s just say it happened.

Once again, Doucette gives the reader a fantastic voice to “listen” to in Adam. Oh, but
Mark
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the first one Immortal, but this one was .... OK. Still a fun story and some drama at the end, but I didn't feel that same excitement as the first one. The first book was fascinating because of the idea that someone could live for thousands of years and see history personally and walk unknown among us AND that persons unknown would want to capture him. It's an interesting concept how much more precious life is when it's ten thousand years long.

In Hellenic Immortal, that novelty is gone.
Yatish
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After that excellent first book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on book 2 and let me tell you this book doesn't disappoint.
The humor and sarcasm of Adam is still well alive and kicking. He should have his own Wikiquote page!!
This time we the story goes Greek and with his blend of real and historical events Gene adds the realness and humor to the story especially seeing it with Adam's eyes which sometimes contradict published academic articles.
By the end of it you are firmly on Team Adam! May
Kristi
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up immediately on finishing the first Adam story and devoted my Sunday afternoon to it. While I had hoped for more resolution to the questions unresolved in the first book, I nonetheless enjoyed this story in its own right. It's addictive-I couldn't put it down once it got started. Adam is such an interesting character, and his story is well-told. It moves quickly but still manages to give all the details. If there was a third book in the series on Amazon, I would have snatched it ...more
Jim Kratzok
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable sequel

So Adam, our immortal, gets back to his roots in this story, with a trip to Greece and a reunion of sorts with the followers of a cult he founded several thousand years ago. Armed with a very disturbing prophecy from his very own oracle, he sets off on an adventure to what he believes will end in his death. Not a very happy time for a man who has lived 50 - 60,000 years...
Donna Huber
Maybe my expectations were too high after Immortal, but something seemed off to me in Hellenic Immortal. I'm very character oriented when reading and I just didn't connect with this cast of characters. I'm glad I read it because we learned who the red-headed woman is (more or less). This installment leaned more towards fantasy, than science fiction. Read full review at Girl Who Reads
Milan
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's been a few years since I've read the first book of this series and quite frankly I forgot about it completely, but recently I saw it as a goodreads recommendation and I decided to finish the series. I've had a bit of a blank concerning the first book but it came back to me eventually and I found the sequel to be better.

I enjoyed this tale and the different approach to myth and I'm looking forward to reading the next one!
Juho Salo
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A long life means a lot of chances for regret, melancholic nostalgia and facing the legacy of one's actions. When you're immortal and older than recorded history, there's been very many chances indeed.

Well written and with better pacing than the original, this was one of the rare sequels that improve on the form. One might even recommend skipping the previous book altogether: both works are self-contained.
Neil
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern-fantasy
Loved the first book and expected the same or more from this but it fell flat. The first had loads of humour with sharp sarcastic comments littered throughout but in this book you had to search for them. I felt that the story itself was weak and although it did tie up inthe end I still thought it could have been a lot better expecially if you consider what Gebe Doucette has to work with - 60 000 years of history. Dissapointing.
Sean
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Received from Netgalley for review
I did not know what to think about this book.I really enjoyed Immortal, so I was looking forward to Hellenic Immortal.It started well with the same sense of humour and history of the first book,but the excerpts put me off and It felt a bit disjointed.I will go on to read book 3 as I would like to see what happens next.
Overall slightly disappointed.
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
A great sequel starring Adam the Immortal, this time rubbing shoulders with Greek satyrs, cult members, and a conniving woman or two. Always amusing, this series reminds me of the Iron Druid books by Kevin Hearne, with the same kind of dry wit and wise-cracking, intelligent hero. A third book is planned and I suspect the goddess Demeter will make another appearance. I can't wait!
Akhil teja
the narration.. no one can beat Jean Doucette in that..
funny.. never lost the grip on story..
never bored.. it's like going to your favourite place with your BFFs..weather is perfect.. life is awesome.
Adam is my favorite book character ..
he is invincible.. he is funny.. moreover he is good sometimes.. what you need in fantasy??
Adam
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not as good or exciting as the first, but notice I still gave it 4 stars. Still a fan of the style and overall tone, just wasn't quite as good as the first. Maybe it's because the first one caught me by surprise. This book is cleverly written fun and extremely easy to read, all pluses in my book, pretty good followup to the first book.
  • Jack Kursed (Damned and Cursed, #3)
  • The Mourning Woods (The Tome of Bill, #3)
  • Fallen Stars (Demon Accords, #5)
  • The Devil Will Do
  • Impact Ripples
  • Distant Star (The Reminiscent Exile, #1)
  • Winter Winds
  • The Guardians (The MORE Trilogy, #2)
  • Sing Me Your Love Song
  • Mountain Charm
  • The Hammer of Darkness
  • The Silent Swan
  • The Downs
  • Love's Passion
Gene Doucette is the author of The Immortal Novel Series, Fixer, the new sci-fi novel, The Spaceship Next Door. He's also written a number of novellas for the ongoing Immortal Chronicles series, and the standalone novella, Immortal Stories: Eve.

Gene is also a humorist and an award-winning screenwriter and playwright. He lives in Cambridge MA with his wife and, when the colleges aren't in session,
More about Gene Doucette...

Immortal (3 books)
  • Immortal (Immortal, #1)
  • Immortal at the Edge of the World (Immortal, #3)

“Religion is still the very best way to get someone to accept something unabashedly ridiculous.” 4 likes
“Morning conversations should be between very close friends or lovers, and otherwise avoided entirely.” 3 likes