Start by marking “Immortal (Immortal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Immortal (Immortal, #1)

Immortal

(Immortal #1)

“I don’t know how old I am.My earliest memory is something along the lines of fire good, ice bad, so I think I predate written history, but I don’t know by how much. I like to brag that I’ve been there from the beginning, and while this may very well be true, I generally just say it to pick up girls.”

--Adam the Immortal

Surviving sixty thousand years takes cunning and more
Paperback, Second, 279 pages
Published March 8th 2012 by The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Immortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal

Astrid Paramita
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immortal tells a story about Adam, a man who existed (most likely, according to Adam) since the beginning of mankind. He was not your typical immortal superhero guy with superpowers nor was he the most handsome man in the universe. Adam was more or less like a normal human; except that he stopped aging at thirty-two, has a super immune system, and a whole lot more story to tell.
To me, it was a modern book about being immortal. It’s funny and sarcastic (which I love!), and at the same time it’s a
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Odd interesting book. I found (a few years ago) that I like good Urban Fantasy, thus I'm always looking for new "good" Urban Fantasy. This one was suggested on the books like Harry Dresden thread.When I started this novel and began to get acquainted with our erstwhile protagonist the book ran hot and cold for me.

Adam is immortal, he just doesn't age or die. Oh he can get hurt, he believes that (in spite of his rapid healing ability) he can be killed...though up to now that hasn't happened. He's
Lukas Lovas
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: notable-fantasy
Perfect :) Just....perfect. The humour of this book is the best I've read in some time. I like the language, the writing style.....and I loved the stories the main character tells. I don't like gushing reviews....so I'll just say, that I loved this book, it never bore me, and it made me laugh almost continuously. I applaud the author and thank him for this experience :)
Lena
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of irreverent humor.
Still a five star favorite. A completely original, ubiquitously quotable, irreverent romp through history. Adam is that dreamed of dinner guest you ply with wine for stories and secretly hope he never leaves.
Lori
From author/publisher

"Part science fiction fantasy, part action adventure and thriller, Gene Doucette creates the perfect balance of humor and edge-of-your-seat anticipation in this genre-defying story of an immortal man named Adam, who finds himself battling demons and bounty hunters in his eternal search for Eve, the red haired mystery woman of his dreams. Witty and wonderful, with a bite of sarcasm, Immortal is a five star read for any fiction lover. " (Book Blurb submitted by yours truly!)

I
Sue London
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Gene Doucette
Immortal is probably the modern (and historical) fantasy you've been seeking.

By the end of the first chapter I was fairly convinced that Gene Doucette had found this manuscript between seats on the subway because it had clearly been written as a collaboration by some of my favorite authors while they were sharing a bottle of whiskey. He has the wit of Douglas Adams, the sarcasm of Jim Butcher, the droll plotting of Spider Robinson, and the sly twists of Neil Gaiman, just to mention a few. But do
Arnaud
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Just make sure you read beyond the first 25% :-)

Admittedly, I was very close to question the ratings on this one until I reached the 24% mark in the book. The first portion is somewhat dull and doesn't quite grab the reader's attention as something that will turn in a "can't drop this novel until I'm done" kinda deal. Luckily, I plowed through and was proven wrong! The rest of the novel is a page turner with solid characters and a good plot. While the back and forth through history and present m
M Hamed
Sep 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, urban-fantasy
he doesn't even try to be good,even for urban fantasy,where incompetence is excepted
just like a whore ,he writes and gives some FUN

30 thousands year old who is a drunk and likes banging young chicks ,with the stamina of a panzer division going through belgium

and quote
(Nice guy, old Mohammed was. A tad zealous and more than a bit touched in the head, but otherwise all right. He and Lester the subway drunk would have gotten along well.)
yeah ,and that
Liang
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 stars! Wow, this book is a true gem. This was tailor-made exactly to my likings. I give props to the author for being very original. It's got contemporary, historical, lust, fantasy, adventure, and mystery - all blended together. I've always been into the whole immortality concept, but I was so glad this time the main character was actually a human!

So Adam, one of the many names he goes by, is an immortal man who's been around for approximately 60,000 years. During that time, languag
Molly Mortensen
Warning: This is an adult book for violence, sex, and adult humor.

I am a sucker for funny books, so I when I read the summary I was sold. I mean, a funny immortal guy? I’m there.

There’s also more to the world than just one immortal guy, there’s vampires, iffrits, demons and all sorts of other things, which was cool.

I’m still not sure if I like the main character or not. He’s definitely an antihero; killing when necessary, and not always saving people, though he does feel bad about it later. He’s
Michael Ryan
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredibly fun romp. A perfect airplane read, the story moves along at a superbrisk but natural pace, glibly covering thousands of years of history in a tightly woven narrative.

Once I got about 20 pages in, I couldn’t put it down. The story is a first-person narrative following the life and times – and a particularly exciting week or so – in the life of Adam, an ordinary man who happens to never age, get sick or, at least so far, die.

Now I’m a sucker for an immortal life story, and f
John Herbert
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ten-out-of-ten
Not only did the good reviews draw me to this book, the Immortal premise attracted me favourably, with its tentative link to time-travel, which I’m a great fan of.
The only concept that made me pause before buying was the inclusion of Demons, Pixies and Vampires etc, which I tend to avoid on a permanent basis.
I needn’t have worried, as they complement the story rather than detract.

I was a bit peeved to see that the book was only available on Kindle, as I’m a book person, who enjoys the solid feel
Anoop Menon
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Witty, captivating and very very interesting story telling, loved this book and will be getting the second book in the series to see how things go with the lead character Adam; very much love to see this series go on and on... it reminded me of the ryira chronicles (mind you only the characters of Hadrian and Royce and their banter) the mood was also similar.. though the story is not.. I wish Gene would have more to tell than just three books for Adam..
Nick Brett
This was pretty good, and would appeal to fans of Kevin Hearne and his Iron Druid books. Adam is immortal, he doesn’t know why, But he has been around for thousands of years, before there was even language.
Adam has a lot of experience and a variety of skills, but basically likes a drink and moves on when his welcome has been exhausted. His first person storytelling has a wry wit about it and his memories of his past are both fun and interesting.
In this, someone is after him and rather than just
Passion For Pages
Review on http://passionforpages.blogspot.ca/20...

When I first heard of Immortal I admit I wasn’t all that interested. Not because I didn’t think it could be a good story but because I didn’t think it was a story I would like.

I was wrong.

I cannot even begin to explain how much I loved this book. Absolutely loved it. The plot was captivating, the characters were interesting, it was funny and amusing – just one of those books I didn’t want to put down and once I had to I couldn’t stop thinking ab
Gareth Otton
This was an interesting book.

It is a good job that the premise of this novel peaked my interest from the moment I read the blurb. The idea of a man who is older than written history (50-60,000 years old I believe) is something that fascinates me. That fascination is what carried me through a weak opening half.

That first 40-50% was a real struggle to get through. To start with there are 2 separate timelines running side by side mixed in with a number of flashbacks into other various times. Each
Hallie
Mar 19, 2013 marked it as life-is-too-short  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-my-cuppa, fantasy
My decision to stop listening (no audiobook in GR atm, and I may or may not have the energy to add it) was a combination of frustration with the audiobook and the things I didn't like about the book overwhelming those I did. First off, the reader was okay except for when he was reading women - especially the medieval French vampire, which was bad enough that I would have returned the audio if I hadn't listened for quite a while already. But pretty darn close in annoyingness was the modern-day Bo ...more
Silod
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome

Immortal is not, perhaps, what one might expect from a novel focusing on a being incapable of death by natural causes. Doucette's writing is fresh, original, and riddled with dry humour. Adam, the frank and somewhat cynical immortal man, does not begin his story with the overdone "first I fell in a vat of radioactive material", but instead asserts that he has, perhaps, been around since the beginning of time; admits that he cannot remember back past a certain point; and assures the reader that h
Elaine
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has an interesting premise and a cool set of immortality rules. There is enough world-building without making it overbearing and it definitely has its laugh out loud moments too!

The character’s main strength is his life-experience. He is not immortal due to an affliction like vampirism (although they do feature) but rather is a man that simply has not died from natural causes.

“I do date, in case you were wondering. I am also – and this I consider a welcome byproduct of my immortality
Thom Swennes
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
To Hell with time travel, just go with the flow. Adam has been going and flowing since the beginning of time (or, according to him since the genesis of the written word) and that’s beginning enough for me. Adam’s tale hopscotch’s through time and with a Bill Bryson humor relates his adventures in different places and times. The meandering narrative isn’t chronological but like an interesting conversation jumps from one story (name and time) to another. Adam aka Urrr, Rocky, Apollo, Serge (Lord V ...more
Jonas Drieghe
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My relationship with alcohol is complicated. Give or take a few days
here and there, I hadn’t been dry since the speakeasy fire in 1922. By all
normal human standards that would make me a raging alcoholic, except
that by those same human standards I would also be dead by now, if not
from old age then from cirrhosis of the liver. But eighty years for me is like
a glass of wine with dinner for anybody else. - Adam

Adam is a thirty-something-year-old mister average with some extraordinary personalit
Edmund de Wight
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my this was such a fun book. Imagine you can live forever - what would you do?
Adam, well at least that's the name he's using this moment has been alive since - well he doesn't even remember when it was but he remembers that language was mostly grunts and the most advanced weapon was a pointy stick. This book is a wonderful mix of a thriller with humor as we learn that our hero is in a precarious situation and trying to figure his way out but he recounts how he got there and has lots of rambli
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This is a very personal first person POV story about Adam. Adam is a fairly normal guy albeit more self aware and honest about himself. He is a professed alcoholic with serious intimacy issues. He avoids thinking about or confronting everything, preferring to lose himself in a glass of beer. Adam is the type of guy who makes a good acquaintance, but a bad friend.

I found the humour to be dry and subtle. There were quite a few chuckle-worthy moments, and even more smile-worthy ones.

The ending left
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
FUll Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

Without giving away the plot that develops, I can say that the story gently touches on interesting issues of scientific and business ethics without being heavy-handed or preachy. While there are also some scenes of violence, it is not overly disgusting and the other "non-human" creatures that also exist alongside Adam and play parts in the story are interesting as well. Although there are some sex scenes in the book (Adam is quite appreciative
Susan Bertke
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun read. Urr, aka Adam, has memories back to the days when humans could barely speak. At the moment he is imprisoned in a laboratory, where he's poked and prodded to discover the cause of his immunity to disease. As he plans his escape, he recounts how he got into this specific dilemma, seasoned with scenes from his very l-o-n-g life. It's clear we can't believe anything in the history books. We also can't believe what we've read about dragons, vampires, pixies, etc.
Donna Huber
It isn't often I come across a book that feels like a truly original idea. While I can't say that there is nothing out there like it (I believe there are very few original ideas out there any more), it was definitely a unique read for me. Full review: http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2011/09...
Jenn
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wry, cynical and very funny dialogue made this paranormal fantasy about the misadventures of the worlds' oldest man for me. I'll read the next one just to see what else Adam has to say, and finding out what he did to piss off the 'little redhaired girl' all those years ago.
Ryan
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good story about a Immortal man who has lived from before language to modern day. Good mix of action, adventure, and even a dash of magical fantasy. I read it in two days, could not put it down.
Jessica (D2LG)
* I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. *
Wart Hill
Aug 26, 2014 marked it as gave-up
Shelves: arc2014, netgalley
Can't stand the MC.

Might try for more of a review later. Probably not, since I only got through the prologue and the first chapter.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Let's Talk Love S...: Immortal - Gene Doucette 2 28 Jun 15, 2014 04:38AM

• Dante's Journey
  • Old Haunts:  A London City Novel
  • Distant Star (The Reminiscent Exile, #1)
  • Demon's Doorway (Damned and Cursed, #4)
  • The Mourning Woods (The Tome of Bill, #3)
  • Tree of Life (Tree of Life, #1)
  • Green Flame Assassin (Demon Lord, #2)
  • The Book
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • Subject 12 (Guild Files, Volume 1)
  • Guarding the Vampire's Ghost (Green's Hill, #3)
  • The Vampiric Housewife (The Vampiric Housewife, #1)
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Prophecy of the Flame
  • The Awakening (Chrysalis #1)
  • Resurrection (Demon Squad, #2)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
Gene Doucette is a science fiction and fantasy author. His science fiction novels include THE SPACESHIP NEXT DOOR and its sequel, THE FREQUENCY OF ALIENS; the techno-thriller FIXER; and the genre mashup UNFICTION. His fantasy books include the IMMORTAL novels (of which there are currently four) and the series of novellas THE IMMORTAL CHRONICLES, as well as the standalone novella EVE. He is current ...more

Immortal (5 books)
  • Hellenic Immortal (Immortal, #2)
  • Immortal at the Edge of the World (Immortal, #3)
  • Immortal and the Island of Impossible Things (The Immortal Series Book 4)
  • Immortal From Hell (The Immortal Series Book 5)
“I was suicidal for two solid centuries once. That was during the early part of what they now call the Dark Ages, in medieval Europe. Suicidal tendencies were de rigueur at the time, and I’m nothing if not trendy.” 4 likes
“Impending death makes one run faster. I think that's probably why they fire a gun before track meets.” 3 likes