Start by marking “Puppet Parade” as Want to Read:
Puppet Parade

Puppet Parade

Sophie does not know how she looks like. For as long as she can remember, mirrors have been forbidden to her, and her appearance has been touted as hideous… a blemish on the face of her family. When she gets the chance to escape her locked room, she runs and never turns back.

Oliver has forgotten all about the outside world. As far as he is concerned, he only needs his pre
Paperback, First Edition, 464 pages
Published April 18th 2012 by Lulu

To ask other readers questions about Puppet Parade, please sign up.
Zeinab Alayan Whoops! Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I would say this is appropriate for 13 year olds. The word "damn" is slightly scattered throughout, but otherwi…moreWhoops! Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I would say this is appropriate for 13 year olds. The word "damn" is slightly scattered throughout, but otherwise it's pretty "clean". (less)

Start your review of Puppet Parade
Britt Skrabanek
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Puppet Parade is pure magic.

Though not typically the type of book I would make a beeline for, I'm happy to know the author, Zen, in the blogging community so I gave it a try. I'm so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone, because this truly is a wonderful novel.

Sophie is an aristocrat imprisoned in her bedroom. When she escapes she meets Oliver, a lonesome puppeteer who is trying to find his runaway puppets. Erase any judgments you may have about talking puppets right now. These are feisty, colo
Carrie Slager
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
(This review also appears on The Mad Reviewer)

Full disclosure: Zeinab Alayan sent me a free ebook in return for an honest review of her novel.

When I saw the title ‘Puppet Parade‘ I must admit I was skeptical. Why? For no logical reason, really. I just thought it sounded stupid.

Yes, I judged a book by its title. I’m a terrible person, I know.

However, once I actually started reading Puppet Parade I was pleasantly surprised. Zeinab Alayan has a very nice, easy to read writing style and although she
Maria
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I could sum this book in two words: Dark and Magical.

The Puppet Parade will keep you at the edge of your seat. It is a beautifully written fairytale-like story of a girl who has never seen her face and a boy who had a weird facination with puppets.

I would have to say that this book is one of the most original books I have ever read so far. The characters, the setting, the development, it was nothing like I've ever read before. There was this certain feel to it that will keep you reading and ask
Joanna
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program.

I'm having difficulty formulating an opinion on this book and separating what it could have been from what it actually is. On the one hand, I'm probably a bit older than the target audience but even I can tell it's a compelling story (puppets coming to life and people turning into puppets, come on!) and a solid debut effort. On the other, I can't help but feel it could have been really charming, with its fairy-tale-gone-wrong vibe
Richard Bunning
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully written book is full of inventiveness, emotion, and clever re-examinations of a host of fantasy ideas. This is a modern adult fairy story, which draws on so many classic themes and cultural tales that it is difficult to guess which ones were originally uppermost in Alayan’s mind. It is not that we need to de-construct to enjoy the story; it is simply that as a writer I cannot stop myself wondering from where the spark came. What we do need to do, if cynical adults, is to re-cons ...more
James
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'll be honest: I'm no longer the avid reader I once was. School and the demands of teenage life have slowly sapped from me what little energy I had and, as a result, my reading urge has been all but extinguished. Don't get me wrong - I still read, from time to time. But until very recently I have never quite been able to sit down and read a book - two books, a trilogy - in one sitting, mostly due to a lack of time but partly because of a lack of enthusiasm.

All that changed very recently and bec
Shambhawi P.
3.5 Stars

Goodreads MUST put half star ratings! It must! Because while this book is not up to the par of a few of my 4 star books it is definitely better than 3 stars.

3.75 Stars

I think I'm being a bit too generous but I absolutely enjoyed the book. The entire book read like a fairytale to me... the characters were all a bit magical. My favorite is Andrew the Annoying ass.

The book revolves around Oliver, a puppeteer and Sophie - a fairy-talesque Damsel in Distress character. Sophie lives with her
Julie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I too know Zen from the blogging community and relate with her chocolate addiction and love for stories. When I heard she had written her first book, I had to read it and see what it was all about.

And the book is impressive. Not only does she set the mood right away - something dark and hopeful at the same time - she also succeeds in having you follow the lead of the 2 main characters and the puppets, as if there was nothing more normal than that. Once embarked on the Parade, you don't really kn
Patricia Awapara
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Puppet Parade is a magical story, filled with adventure and wonder.

The main characters are Oliver (the Puppeteer), his puppets and Sophie, a girl that escaped from her evil stepmother. Oliver's puppets abandon him after they are brought to life. Oliver goes after them and on the way he meets Sophie. They both embark in a wonderful adventure and a word of gypsies, magician, entertainers and more.

The story was out of the ordinary and entertaining. The characters where all unique and interesting.
Melanie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cassandra
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
--Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog--

Sophie Perkins a young girl comes down with a dehibilating sickness that lasts some time. Her stepmother keeps Sophie locked away so she wont be contagious. So while Sophie's father is away and dies Sophie's hope of soon being released is dashed since now her stepmother swears that the illness she contracted has left he horribly ugly! For that reason she wont allow Sophie to see her face so that she doesn'f feel disgusted by h
Kelly
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
While not my typical cup of tea (I do find puppets sort of creepy), I have to admit, this book surprised me. It was far less about the puppets and far more about the characters and their relationship as it evolves. The idea of the Parade was fantastical, original and I totally loved it.

Both Oliver and Sophie were interesting, multidimensional characters who evolved as individuals as well as in their relationship as they travel the Parade, searching for Oliver's lost puppets. Throughout the firs
Mari
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you were to take a fairy tale, a Tim Burton movie, a few romance shavings and a scoop of action adventure, you would essentially have a good idea of what's in this book. I found "Puppet Parade" through Goodreads, and knowing nothing more than what I read on this site's blurb, I dove in and never regretted it once.

Puppet Parade was not without faults, but it was full of charm. In a story that has such a great action propelled plot, the characters really stood out. Oliver, the puppeteer who ha
A.S. Hendra
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
An amazing debut novel, Puppet Parade brings us to a semi-realistic world where magic rules, dreams still come true and evil has a personification. It begins innocently enough, with Oliver met Sophie and they stumbled upon the world of the Parade. At first they loved this new world -- to a certain extent, at least -- but slowly they began to realise that there was something more about the Parade -- something not so innocent that not many people had realised.

That's all I can say about this story
Rim
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Puppet Parade” is the debut book written by my 10+ year long school friend Zeinab Alayan and I will give it an honest 3.70/5.0 stars rating.
Like many of the past short stories and fan-fictions written by Zeinab during secondary/high school, I greatly enjoyed reading her first published book and I wouldn't let it down whenever I had the chance to continue reading (had to surreptitiously press the stand-by button on the side of my Samsung Note 2 every time my boss would pass behind my work laptop
Stephanie
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Puppet Parade is magical and gripping, I didn't want to put the book down.

The book follows the characters Sophie and Oliver as they journey through town after town, searching for his puppets. But as they, journey they realize that each town has a specific theme to it i.e. religion, entertainment, gypsies, beauty, magic,academics, etc. Within the towns they travel, they meet different challenges as they try to recover the puppets.

The one thing I must say Zeinab Alayan has done exceeding well in w
Kristi
I felt a little like Alice while reading Puppet Parade by Zeinab Alayan, or maybe that should be Pinocchio as it deals with puppets. No, Alice is definitely the right fit. Reading Puppet Parade is like entering the world of Wonderland. The characters (puppets and other people) are quirky and amusing. There are worlds within the world, all of which make up a whole that is quite fascinating. It's a bizarre but incredibly fun world.

The two main characters (Oliver and Sophie) have both been trapped
RaeBeth
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Puppet Parade by Zeinab Alayan brings forth an adventure the reader is pulled into. Oliver and Sophie's lives start out dull and boring. Neither one knowing really what the outside world is about. The journey starts out with Sophie locked in her room and Oliver locking himself in his shop. Both characters were well crafted. They only knew the world of isolation until Sophie breaks free. At the same time, Oliver who crafts puppets looses his own work because of them coming alive.

Sophie and Olive
Nicole Tan
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
When I first received the book to read, I was really excited, because stories about puppets and the life surrounding it was a very interesting appeal. However I found several descriptions in the novel to be too lengthy, and did not really appeal to me at all. There were times when I found myself wanting to stop turning the pages, but I persevered on because there was that certain spark in the story that pulled me forward.

Towards the end, I started ignoring the mistakes, and the descriptions tha
Valentina
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and different story. There is a great sense of mood throughout the whole thing that really catches the reader’ attention, giving the novel a kind of flavor that makes it great to read. There’s a gothic darkness that I really enjoyed. Now, having said that, I did find some of the descriptions too long. They sometimes disrupted and slowed down the plot when it needed to stay crisp and fast-paced, maintaining some of the mood but not overwhelming us with details.
The characters are r
Monica H at The Readathon
It took me awhile to get into this book. The puppets' language at the beginning really turned me off. I didn't like the puppets because they were crude and mean, and I didn't understand or relate to Oliver at all. I had no idea where Oliver was, or where Sophie was. Where was the original town? And, what time period are we talking? But, I kept reading and then I couldn't stop. I got picked up by The Parade and got lost in all of its magical towns. I especially loved the town with all the librari ...more
Diana
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly addicting

I think I came across this book a long time ago on a giveaway list and marked it to read. I decided to finally begin reading it a couple of days ago and found myself absorbed in this story. I have a neutral feeling about puppets, but the idea of animated ones didn't really spark my interest. By the time Sophie and Oliver reached the second town I was really liking this story. I'm not going to lie.. Igor was very creepy. Overall, this book was an easy read and I liked it.
Lea
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The cover drew me in and once I read the description of the story I bought the book immediately. Right from the start the story was exciting and filled with adventure. I loved the characters, the descriptions and the overall story. It is clear to me that this author is a great storyteller and I am really looking forward to any future books. If you’re looking for an exciting, original story, this is it!
Benedicte  Serner
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I received my copy of this I was really looking forward to a, what I thought, very good-sounding book, and I wasn't disapointed in any way. This book is really a page turner from start to finish. The characters leap out of the pages and the plot is amazingly well written with so many twists and turns and that even a hard-core reader would be able to feel surprised. Alayan has written a masterpiece and I look forward to reading more of her work! ...more
Michael Blaylock
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very clever story akin to old-time fables. Two lead characters with interesting circumstances who play well of each other and each shows their own merit. It's a very magical story both with bright whimsy and dark nightmares, but the concept is clever and the execution is a fun ride. The writing is good with just enough revealed at any point in time to keep the reader guessing. ...more
Amber
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved the storyline and how it swept me away with all of the details and the depth of the characters. I was never without this book and I took it everywhere, the grocery store, in the car.. I just could not put it down. I have already told a few people about it and they are interested in reading it also.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Renee
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was great, a page turner, I recommend it to everyone.
Shaira Garcia
Oct 14, 2012
Milly
Feb 25, 2012
Alicia
Dec 14, 2012
Zeinab, more commonly known as Zen, is a writer, an editor, a translator, a bookworm, an artist, an avid movie watcher, an anime fan, a procrastinator, a paranoiac, a dork, a bit of a Grammar Nazi and most importantly... a chocoholic.