Start by marking “When Loss is Gain” as Want to Read:
When Loss is Gain

When Loss is Gain

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Published January 2012 by Rupa

To ask other readers questions about When Loss is Gain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Loss is Gain

Arushi
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
When Loss is Gain is the story of man who finds out he is dying and then survives. Because he has a smart doctor. A man who by then understands that even though he has lost everything, he has gained it all, because he understands the value of his own life. The theme has been used many many times, but the presentation and the location (Bhutan) are entirely new and the book is quite well done.

After he survives, Anand wants to live, not just exist. He eventually ventures to Bhutan to find that elus
Sheetal
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very good book. Very beautifully described the mental condition of a human being when his/her existence is questioned. I personally like the way how Bhutan is described and to overcome the difficulty to make peace with oneself and love oneself.
Isha
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Milan Jain
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's exhilarating to read after such a long stretch of being absent from the act itself. Almost like I forgot the joy of visualizing a story and its characters just as the narrative moves in front of my eyes. Besides it was a read that gripped my mind and brought about some questions, sweepingly back to my conscious from a more sub-conscious level - mostly self restrained to become obviously overt, in the midst of this chaotic schedule. These thoughts wandered on the life and its purpose, the wh ...more
Parag
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book takes us through the journey of a successful lawyer in high end circles in Delhi. How this guy chases death in a tumultuous journey is what I enjoyed reading. The narration of this experience gives wonderful insight into the mind of those nearing death. What I savored wee also quotes from Upanishads and ghazals sprinkled generously through the narrative. Later I loved this novel for one more thing and that is where the plot involves the lovely country of happiness . . . Bhutan! If I kne ...more
Chaitali
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
The book starts on the promising note. Sadly that is not enough; the pace gained in the beginning gets lost somewhere in the middle and the story is off track by the time it reaches the end. When the author discloses the climax in the middle of the book; I think there was nothing much to do with the characters and some how the story gets dragged towards the end.

The quotes embedded are nice. The philosophical thoughts are good but one can take only so much of them. Burma does sound promising in t
Phalgun
the writing gets tacky and superficial in places, i was actually wondering a publishing house allowed this guy cause he's a high ranking civil servant. clearly when it comes to certain aspects of behavior amongst certain subcultures, the author does not have a deep understanding.

but what i loved the book for was its slow, deep meditations on love, sensuality, freedom, living life on one's own terms.

what makes the book inspiring is about living life on one's own terms, not answerable to anyone. g
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-writers
What do I write now, I could finish the book in hours. I might have read similar fiction but some how the book really appealed to me. I am not sure whether the book got lots of philosophical lines and quotes by Sufi saints or poets, but surely the book made me feel good on the whole. Quick read and interesting one.
Mansee
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
after a long time i picked up a book that was unputdownable.. though grammatical errors were there but the verses or quotes from time, the beautiful story of loss and gain..the philosophy.. everything just touched somewhere..
Rakesh M S
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best and the most memorable books i've ever read!!!!!
Pushpam Singh
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simple story but very well presented in a form which will keep you engaged throughout. I love the way book is written and for that matter other books by same author.
Ishan
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Good stuff. The entire 'God is great' part gets to you after a while though. Beautiful, nonetheless.
Gunjan Hajela
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
At the end of it, I realized I have really gained from it! The description of Bhutan's scenic landscapes gets you carried away..!
Divy Durgesh
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and Refreshing. Books like this must be read at least two times, superb story line and writing style. Sorrow and suffering is inevitable so is joy.
Sahil Massey
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
A simple book that you could finish up in hours. Okeyish !
Ranjitha
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Similar story line as 'The monk who sold his ferrari'. Simpler, familiar and more ficticious. Liked the sufi poetry and inspiring philosophical thoughts.
Dorji Dhradhul
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it. Anand's Escapades to and in Bhutan nicely blends with the story.
Ekta