Start by marking “Dead Heat (Goodabri #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Heat (Goodabri #1)

Dead Heat

(Goodabri #1)

Paperback, First, 352 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Hachette Australia (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Heat

Sharon
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spending long periods alone are something National Park Ranger Jo Lockwood is use to and she quite enjoys it. But her quiet and peaceful days would soon disappear because on one of the days that she is performing her usual checks in the National Park she comes across the body of a man who has been brutally murdered.

Once the police arrive, they join forces with the forensic team and begin looking for clues. Detective Nick Matheson asks Jo questions and she hands him all the information she has i
Brenda
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jo Lockwood has only been in her new job for a few months, and she loves it. She’s a National Parks Ranger, often alone with her thoughts in the bush of New South Wales, at peace with nature and the wildlife surrounding her. But one day, after coming across a campsite which had been recently vandalized, she saw a wild dingo, and to her horror, it appeared to have a HAND in it’s mouth! Shuddering, but knowing she had to do it, she followed the dingo’s track into the bush, where she came across th ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aussie-author
Set in Australia's rural scrub, Dead Heat is an thrilling story of suspense and romance. National Parks ranger Jo Lockwood stumbles across a body at an isolated picnic ground, the young man had been tortured before his death and drugs are found at the scene. Detective Nick Matheson is brought in to investigate and with his past experience as an undercover officer, recognises that Jo is at risk from the assassin, especially as the body count rises and it becomes clear there is a leak in the task ...more
Jess
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have a slight confession to make, until recently I had never heard of Bronwyn Parry and thus never read of any her work. And to be perfectly honest, I’m not even sure what drew me to her novel in the first place, but boy am I glad that the universe had other plans for me. Just wish I'd read it sooner :) Read as part of the Australian Women's Writers Challenge 2013.

Set within rural NSW, Dead Heat is the story of Jo Lockwood, a National Park Ranger, who despite having been in town for a couple o
Sally906
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bronwyn Parry is fast becoming one of my must buy authors.

I am very reluctant to call this book a romance. Sure there is attraction between the two main characters but the focus is on suspense and murder with the opening murder being a grizzly one indeed. National Parks ranger Jo Lockwood stumbles across a mutilated body in an isolated park in north-west region of New South Wales while on a routine inspection of camping grounds. The victim had been tortured before his death and a stash of drugs
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
“National Parks Ranger Jo Lockwood is often alone in the wilderness, and she likes it that way – until she discovers the body of a man, brutally murdered.

Detective Nick Matheson’s new posting to the north-west of New South Wales is supposed to be an uneventful return to normal duties and a normal life. He knows organised crime from the inside out and suspects that the victim in the camping ground is not an isolated murder.

Jo is committed to helping the investigation but she has seen the killer’s
Jenny Schwartz
Dead Heat by Bronwyn Parry is a gem. This is first class romantic suspense with well-developed main characters, no shying away from hard choices and hard lives, and high tension with believable and dramatic action. But what really sold me was the vividly Australian setting. The little details made both place and characters come alive.

The writing was crisp and strong (matching the storyline and hero/heroine).

Having started the book, I read it in one gulp. I won a copy of “Dead Heat” which pushed
Lauren K
Bronwyn Parry is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors and alongside a handful of other Australian authors has also made me fall in love with the romantic suspense crime genre.

Dead Heat is an action packed, suspenseful story set in the wilderness of the north-west region of New South Wales. Jo Lockwood is a woman passionate about nature and takes her job as a National Parks Ranger, very seriously. When she stumbles across the mutilated dead body of a man in her beloved parklands she is de
Rachel Amphlett
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Bronwyn Parry that I've read, and it certainly won't be the last. I picked this up as part of the Aussie Author Challenge 2014 that I'm taking part in (which is a great way to discover new authors).

When national parks ranger Jo discovers a dead body on a routine patrol, it's the start of a nightmare. The only witness to the murder suspect, she is drawn into the shady world of drugs and illegal weapons, with only ex-undercover policeman Nick having a remote chance of pro
puppitypup
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Romantic Suspense Well written with a good sense of realism. It got a mite bogged down in the middle, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars.
Bree T
Jo Lockwood is a National Parks Ranger who has recently taken up a new job at a newly-declared State Forest in north-western NSW. The solitary life doesn’t much bother her, she enjoys her own company and the peacefulness that comes from working with nature. That peace is shattered when she discovers the dead body of a man who has been brutally tortured not far off a walking track.

Detective Nick Matheson is also starting a new job. He’s a former undercover officer who was involved in a scandal wh
Emma
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rural-romance
Another suspense filled novel by Bronwyn Parry with the right amount of romance to set it above par. loved this story between Nick and Jo and the level of detail in every aspect of the story.
Deb Bodinnar
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading some of the other reviews, I feel my comments/review on the books I read sound a little "ordinary and unprofessional", but they are heartfelt and real!!
That said... I enjoyed Bronwyn's third novel amazing and did not want to put it down but sleep and work made me. The setting of the NSW outback is a nice change from the main streets of big cities and is one I can relate to, having lived in the bush myself. The relationships of the people who live in these areas is captured by Bronw
Joanne
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
The theme is okay, but the plot and ending is pretty much expected from B.P. Nothing beyond my expectation, which means, its kind of repeating the theme on the Dark Country, with complexity and in a greater scale. Would expect something different from BP. She becomes rather predictable with her writing. With a couple of name change, and the place change, this could be one of the latest book for the Dark Trio Series that BP is writing. I rather she keeps the Dark Trio Series, rather than creating ...more
Helen
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great story Nick and Jo are such tortured people with a lot to overcome before they can learn to trust and what they go through in this edge of your seat suspense wil have you up late and turning the pages.

Bronwyn writes such deatailed and amazing stories and I loved this one and fell into it from the first chapter Nick is such a fantastic hero and Jo so strong and amazing. The other characters in the story add so much to this one.

Highly recomend thanks Bronwyn for hours of readin
Michelle
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Once I made the start that was the end of me and now here I am, an hour after I got prepared to call it a night with quite a chunk to read in the morning and I got handcuffed to the book, I swear I did, with my eyes propped open so I couldn’t look away. It doesn’t really matter why I’m still up, but the book is finished and it’s time to share my thoughts.

My complete thoughts can be found over at Beauty and Lace at: bookgirl.beautyandlace.net/book-club-...
Jaye
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
thrilling
Kate Loveday
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dead Heat is a fast paced and exciting romantic suspense novel, with rather more suspense than romance. I found this book hard to put down.

Jo Lockwood loves her job as a National Parks ranger in the north west of New South Wales. She loves the country side, the wildlife, and she enjoys being on her own for much of the time. That all changes the day she finds a park site has been vandalised. As she sets about clearing up and repairing as much damage as possible, a dingo emerges from the bush. In
Shelagh
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Dead Heat. Gripping edge-of-my-seat drama kept,me glued to this story and turning the pages as fast as I could. I couldn't believe all the challenges that author Bronwyn Parry threw at Jo and Nick, yet time and again they soldiered on, found their inner strength and surprised not only each other but me with their resilience. These are two incredibly strong characters facing incredibly challenging circumstances with one plot twist after another to keep them on their toes. It's ...more
Karen
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it didnt want to put it down
Jacqui
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the suspense of this book, was really well written and character development was intriguing . The portrait of Australian bush was perfect, and I would highly recommend a read of this series !
Ann-Marie
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OK so where do I begin. I found it hard to get in to this book and let my mind pull me into the story, it wasn’t a boring start just one that didn’t compel you to want to read more but rather dragged you along. That was until about half way through when I suddenly couldn’t put it down.
Lets set the scene.
Jo has stumbled upon a murder scene which was definitely not in the job description as Park Ranger and our new detective to the town Nick has been called out to investigate.
Jo keeps stumbling upo
Annabel
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bronwyn Parry's books can be relied upon to be beautifully written, rustically and authentically Australian and contain deep, nuanced characters. Characters who are intelligent, dedicated, strong and brave. Not brave in the typical idiotic rejection of reality that you should be afraid when someone is trying to kill you that is common in romantic suspense but brave in realising that the danger is real but willing to make sacrifices to survive or protect others. You care about Jo, Nick, Hugh, Eri ...more
Dísir
Dead Heat is Bronwyn Parry's latest undertaking apart from her Dungirri series and a very engaging read despite the narrative and structural similarities - murder, police corruption, organised crime's shady activities - that drive the plots of her other books. While Parry's obvious love of the unique Australian rural landscape shines through very clearly in every book that she writes, the biggest draw for me are her characters, who are principled, somewhat tortured but rational enough to put the ...more
Amelia
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good book, full of suspense, action, love. Easy to read, to follow, this book is a great way to relax.The book presents the love story between the two main characters,the down to earth park ranger Jo Lockwood and determined detective Nick Matheson. Yet, the story is full of suspense,mystery and action.
"The land has never scared me.Landscape isn't good or bad or evil or confused,it just is.(...)People scare me sometimes, but most astound me with their resilience and hope and their ability to dr
Maryanne
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A gripping thriller set in National Park landscapes. Dramatic and scary with considerable off-scene violence and potential violence - so while the action is explosive and suspense is taut, the reader does not have to endure blow-by-blow voyeristic torture - though the outcome is described. The central romance is brilliantly wrought with unusual characters who ultimately are perfect for each other. Love the strong female lead. Crime fiction lovers who are sceptical about romance novels may want t ...more
E.A. Harwik
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dead Heat by Bronwyn Parry is quite a story. My capacity to endure thrillers is quite limited, nightmares linger. Yet Bronwyn Parry can string thrilling mayhem and grizzly murder without imparting the gross chill that sends my mind into overdrive.

Dead Heat is set in and around an Australian national park which is interestingly quaint and somewhat romantically described. Yet the story line builds tension via the unforeseen chaos of a police investigation matching wits with desperate criminals. It
Kathy
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am fast becoming a fan of Australian author Bronwyn Parry. Dead Heat is a fast-paced suspenseful book with a touch of romance thrown in also. Initially, I just plodded along with the first 1/3 of the book, but after that I was in for the ride and couldn’t put it down until the very exciting ending. Gruesome murders, drug dealers, snipers, police corruption, bush fires – you name it, it’s in there – all set in rural Australia….a great read ……

Livia
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Fast-paced crime/suspence novel revolving around Jo Lockwood, National Parks Ranger, and Nick Mathieson, a city cop with a new job in country NSW. These two are thrown together after Jo finds a body on National Park land. I won't go into any more detail, because, frankly, you can read any of the other reviews here to get more info about it!
It's my first time reading a Bronwyn Parry novel, and I think she did a fantastic job with "Dead Heat"! Would love to read anything else by her!
Dianne Sidebottom
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had a taster of the book when I read "Dear Ruth". This book was in the local library so I took the opportunity to read it. The book captured you in to the final page, I had to go over some pages as the pace was fast to see who the good/bad cops could be or were. Could actually see this as an episode on tv. I liked it being an Australian story but I would very much hate to see something like this go down here.
Australian Women ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. 3 copies of Dead Heat- giveaway! 1 7 May 24, 2012 10:08PM
Q&A with Bronwyn ...: Introducing 'Dead Heat' 1 11 Mar 19, 2012 06:33PM
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • The Horseman's Promise
  • Zoe's Muster
  • The Road Home
  • Morgan's Law
  • In Safe Hands (Grace & Poole, #1)
  • The Girl in the Hard Hat
  • Queen of the Road
  • Hope's Road
  • Man Drought
  • Ryders Ridge
I grew up surrounded by books, and have a love of reading and stories. Commercial fiction, literary fiction, children’s literature, history – my bookshelves are forever overflowing!

I write gritty romantic suspense, set in Australia's wild places. My six novels and a novella are in two loosely-linked series, but each book stands alone and is a full story.

I live on 100 acres of beautiful bushland

Goodabri (3 books)
  • Storm Clouds (Goodabri #2)
  • Sunset Shadows (Goodabri #3)