Start by marking “The Empty City (Survivors, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Empty City (Survivors, #1)

The Empty City

(Survivors #1)

The time has come for dogs to rule the wild.
Lucky is a golden-haired mutt with a nose for survival. He has always been a loner—roaming the streets of the busy city and relying on his instincts to get by. Other dogs have Packs, but Lucky doesn't long for the days he spent with his littermates. He stands alone.
Then the Big Growl strikes. Suddenly the ground is split wide o
Published August 21st 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Empty City, please sign up.
Brianna This is the best book in the history of any book ever made. So.....yes. I would say worth reading. 12 times. Over and over again.
Hazel You cannot read books on Goodreads. The website is simply for rating books and getting book recommendations. The Read button is in the past tense, as…moreYou cannot read books on Goodreads. The website is simply for rating books and getting book recommendations. The Read button is in the past tense, as in you have read the book. By clicking that button, you are saying that you have read the book already. In order to actually read a book, you need to check it out at the library or purchase it.(less)

Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Lucky, really? The dog's name is Lucky. Very original. *sigh* I hope this isn't like a repeat of Warriors and Seekers, just with new names for things like monster and firebeast. And continuously talking about how empty the dog's belly is.

The cover does look awesome, though.

Oh, but you know what would be really awesome? If it crossed over with Warriors or Seekers! Not directly, of course. But if at one point they said something about seeing a flame-colored cat or something like that. Maybe have o
Faith
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
Ugh. I wanted to hate this book. I wanted to hate this book soooo badly, but I ended up loving it. First off, let me just explain to you why I so desperately wanted to hate it!

Okay, so Survivors is the new series written by "Erin Hunter". Why the quotation marks you ask? Well the original four Erins have nothing to do with it! This pisses me off. Yes--HarperCollins does have rights to the name "Erin Hunter" but the truth is that the four Hunters have worked hard to earn their title. They were go
Vanessa Wolf
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
This review contains spoilers after the first paragraph. You are forewarned.

I am a huge fan of the Warrior series so I was crazy excited to get an advanced reader's copy of this book. Now I really wish I hadn't picked it up. You'll find a similar cosmology structure to the other Erin Hunter books, which would make more sense if dogs hadn't lived so closely with us for thousands of years. If Hunter had chosen to write about wolves this book would've made a lot more sense. For the story to work f
Diana
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Re-reading (13.09.17)

Enjoying it way more than the first time I read it.

--------

I love Erin's "Warriors" series, but this one has been a disappointment. While the warriors one feels full of ancestry and wisdow this one feels childish and puts the dogs in a frame of mind where they feel very childlike and somewhat stupid. And I love cats and dogs, and found this one a bit offensive and couldn't make meet end in any way... those weren't dogs, that's for sure!
Jessica Thompson
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!!!!! Go Erin Hunter!
Caroline
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing new series starter! I am so glad that Hunter finally got approval from her publishing company to start writing about dogs. The language and symbolism she uses to portray dogs is spot on, and I love Lucky as the main character! He's such a complex and deep character, I can't wait to see him unfold, as we did Firestar in the Warriors series!
Winnie
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Okay, I had low expectations for this book but compared to what I expected, the book was still very bad. Honestly, I don't think humans would leave their dogs during an earthquake and the whole book was basically a bunch of dogs doing stupid things and getting in trouble and Lucky having to go rescue them. It seems to be geared towards like 7 year olds and it definitely doesn't deserve to be written under the name Erin Hunter. The style is completely different and well, the actual skill isn't th ...more
Madeleine - Tei
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book... but it was....

-Badly written
-Cheap plot/no apparent plot besides side plots
-Inconsistent characters who believed one way and acted another
-Rather than creating a cliffhanger the ending just ended bluntly
-Wannabe Warriors series? Funny how all the animals have something or other that they worship. And those animals that don't tend to die. I don't know but all these books seem to be getting the cheap drama/fan service recently...

However I did like Lucky~ he was
Stormy Summer
Hello! This a SURVIORS fan page! This. Is. Surviors. Not. Warriors.

The Forest pack...

Feather will be!

Pups

Wise ones :
Open!

Thanks! ( For joining). Hope ya have fun!
Shirley
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are many similarities between The Empty City and Bobbie Pyron's The Dogs of Winter though one involves children and dogs attempting to survive in Russia and the other involves dogs trying to survive after a cataclysmic event without their Longpaws (masters). Erin Hunter is a master at enabling us to see the world through the minds of the dogs.

Hunter's books are probably the most popular in our Junior High School Library. The Warriors, novels. based on cats, are trilogies and once the stude
SometimesIWonder
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has a good storyline and I will definitely be buying the next one, but I have a few complaints about it. It is a good story and shows potential for a lot more adventures, but one of the major things I didn't like about it is this. I know that there are many domestic animals that cannot survive out in the wild, but it annoyed me that in this book it seemed that any animal who lived with humans became completely brainless. Seriously. I have an indoor cat who could not survive in the wild ...more
Swifty Pepsi
Jun 12, 2012 marked it as to-read
I wish they chose the other cover. It was much better.

I hope this will be just as good as the Warriors books, even though the Erin Hunters writing it are different!
Tess (Book_Voyage)
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As all of the Erin Hunter books, this one was fantastic. While the Warrior series is still my favorite Erin Hunter series, I enjoyed this one as well. This was my second time reading it, which was just as good as the first. I am hoping to get back into this series. I hope I can catch up soon. I am excited to actually read the second book this time!
PalmTree
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. It is not as good as the first book of The Last Dogs, ( both books about dogs in an apocalypse) but good enough for a four star rating.
Matti Karjalainen
Lykky-niminen koira on kuullut pennusta asti tarinoita myyttisestä Koiramyrskystä, jonka paluu merkitsee sitä että koirat joutuvat jälleen kerran taistelemaan olemassaolostaan. Legenda vaikuttaa muuttuvan eräänä päivänä todeksi, kun Suuri Murahdus (eli toisin sanoen maanjäristys) pistää kaupungin uuteen uskoon ja tuhoaa maailman sellaisena kuin koirat sen tunsivat. Nyt eivät enää entiset toimintamallit olekaan voimassa.

Lykky kohtaa joukon isäntäperheistään eksyneitä koiria, joista yksi on hänen
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}

Fans of Warriors Will either be absolutely delighted with Survivors, or they will hate it with a burning passion. Well, maybe not that intense, but they won't like it.

I enjoyed it, but I constantly was comparing it to Warriors, and that probably made it lose some points with me. You can't beat Warriors, let's face it. These are some things I came up with:

Lucky: Firestar
Loudcages: Monsters
Longpaws: Twolegs
Earth-Dog: Starclan (Kind of)
Pack: Clan
Fierce Dogs: Bloodclan/Shadowclan/any cats
Caley
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read this book before and I decided to read it again. I forgot how sad it was.
Evly
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
OMG i really liked this book and i think that this has a lot more detail than Warriors and Seekers
Isabel Jaramillo
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Survivors is a series that will keep you on your toes. If you enjoy any of the Erin Hunter series then this is a must read. It has the classic Erin Hunter style, with benign in the place of an animal, and this book is about Lucky and his journey through a abandoned city after an earthquake. Lucky meets old friends, and makes new ones along the while, and makes plenty of enemies as well. Through the book we see Lucky battle with his feelings of wanting to be a lone dog, or part of a pack. As he m ...more
JulesP2
These books are the BEST! If you love animals , especially dogs , you should read this book series!It is about a dog named Lucky and a pack of dogs! it is an AMAZING! If you cant handle death or disaster maybe you should pass on this one, but if that is ok with you you should read these books!
Eliana
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! When I saw this book for the first time, I thought it was going to be a weird book, but it turned out to be amazing! The fact that a city was destroyed by an earthquake and all that is left are some dogs trying to survive is intense. I sure love me some intense stories. When I saw that it was made by Erin Hunter, I knew it was going to be a good book. Just because in my opinion, Erin Hunter makes the best animal like stories that I have ever read in my entire life. Like the warri ...more
Anorielt
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erin Hunter ist bekannt dafür Geschichten zu schreiben, in denen Tiere die Hauptrollen spielen. Ich war am Anfang sehr skeptisch und konnte mir nicht vorstellen das mir sowas gefallen könnte, aber vor allem habe ich mich gefragt, wie schreibt man eine Geschichte in der Tiere die Hauptrolle haben? Was genau kann man da überhaupt schreiben? Dann habe ich mich an die Warrior Cats Reihe gewagt und war begeistert. Deswegen war ich auch so begeistert als ich erfahren habe das die Autorin auch eine Rei ...more
Michelle K. *Get off my lawn!*
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
Shelves: 2012-read
Survivors is a mostly delightful read, though rather insubstantial.

It tries to be just what it sounds like: Warriors , but with dogs. On that front, it falls rather flat. Natural elements are personified; earth is Earth-dog, a sort of living, breathing deity, a contrast to Starclan in Warriors , but they don’t seem to have any real attachment to these ideals like in Warriors, except when hoping another earthquake doesn’t strike (aka an earth growl), or fondly remembering stories at their mother
Anna
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erin-hunter
Lucky’s life has been turned upright down when the Big Growl destroyed the city of longpaws. But Lucky is a lone dog and can take care of himself. His sister Bella and her friends, the leashed dogs, cannot. And so Lucky decides to help his new friends survive in the cruel environment…

The interactions between Lucky and the leashed dogs are probably the most interesting part of the story. They have different upbringing and different views, which clash so often. Lucky had always been a stray who ke
Jean
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a compelling adventure story for the 10-13 year old readers. However, I, as an adult, admit to finishing the entire book to find out what happened to the very likeable pack of dogs, especially their hapless leader, Lucky. The story opens in an animal shelter when an earthquake strikes, trapping most of the dogs, but allowing Lucky and another dog to escape. Lucky's goal is to remain a loner, to survive on his own, so he shakes off the other dog who goes her own way into a landscape barre ...more
Karen
Dec 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ellie
Ellie received books 1,2,3 of this series Christmas morning in her room and started reading the first book today...krb 12/26/18

I let Ellie look online at the website and she read about the author and was very surprised and a little sad to learn that Erin Hunter is not one person but a group of people who write under this pen name. She was hoping that the author "Erin Hunter" would be interviewed on the Read Aloud Revival podcast...krb 1/6/19

Ellie went back to reading the warriors from the librar
Anna Sobczak
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-this-book
The lone Dog that finally accepts his pack position in the Wild.........
The Time has come for DOGS to rule the wilderness! But Lucky is int ready to fight for it Alone....... BBE! best book ever! love Erin hunters new dog take on the world. Written in a dogs perspective and totally true. Erin gives us a taste of A dogs life, Survivors.....Squeeze OMG I LOVE IT!
Brooks Barber
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was good because Lucky starts out as a lone dog. Then he finds his sister and joins a pack.Lucky and his pack face many dangers along the way, like poisonous rivers, starvation, a city that is crumbling around them. This book is exciting and is very hard to put down. I absolutely LOVE this book!
Vincent
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a good book. I like that it includes dogs because often when I was reading the Warriors series by Erin Hunter I always pretended the cats were dogs, now I don't have to pretend. I think the sequel will be good. The only issue with this book is the sudden ending.
Aisha
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
this should have been a one star book, because basically its about Lucky who walks with his friends. I gave this another star hoping the second book would be better, and because it is by Erin Hunter. I gave it the last star because it had a good ending.
Survivor's Forever: * Survivors book 1 6 8 May 01, 2018 06:06AM
None 1 7 Apr 15, 2016 11:41AM
Books 4ever!: Survior 4 11 Apr 27, 2015 06:16PM
How is this? 7 21 Apr 27, 2015 06:13PM
Empty Faced Longpaws?? 9 32 Oct 31, 2014 08:56AM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing cover for Kindle edition 2 15 Jul 02, 2014 01:12AM
  • Spirit Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #5)
  • Shadow (The Puppy Place, #3)
  • The Storm (Dogs of the Drowned City, #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)
  • News for Dogs
  • Mousenet
  • The Vanishing (The Last Dogs, #1)
  • Storm Warning (Dog Whisperer, #2)
  • Pick of the Litter
  • Circle of Heroes (The Familiars, #3)
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • Dolphin Tale: The Junior Novel
  • Whalesong (Whalesong, #1)
Erin Hunter is the pseudonym of five people: Kate Cary, Cherith Baldry, Tui T. Sutherland, Gillian Philip, and Inbali Iserles, as well as editor Victoria Holmes. Together, they write the Warriors series as well as the Seekers and Survivors series. Erin Hunter is working on a new series now called Bravelands.

Erin Hunter is inspired by a love of cats and a fascination with the ferocity of the natur

Survivors (6 books)
  • A Hidden Enemy (Survivors, #2)
  • Darkness Falls (Survivors, #3)
  • The Broken Path (Survivors, #4)
  • The Endless Lake (Survivors, #5)
  • Storm of Dogs (Survivors, #6)
“I like being on my own. I mean, I'm sure a Pack’s best for some dogs, but I've walked alone since I left my Pup Pack. I can look after myself.” 3 likes
“I can’t give up my faith in the longpaws. I understand that we can’t rely on the longpaws to help us anymore. But one of us has to remember. One of us has to carry the memories for the rest of the Pack. I’ll do it.” 2 likes