Start by marking “After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia” as Want to Read:
After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia

After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia

(Across the Universe 0.1 (The Other Elder))

If the melt-down, flood, plague, the third World War, new Ice Age, Rapture, alien invasion, clamp-down, meteor, or something else entirely hit today, what would tomorrow look like? Some of the biggest names in YA and adult literature answer that very question in this short story anthology, each story exploring the lives of teen protagonists raised in catastrophe's wake--wh ...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 384 pages
Published October 9th 2012 by Hyperion Book CH

To ask other readers questions about After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After

karen
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it

i know that this collection is a YA collection, but it really doesn't read like one. usually in YA collections, there is sort of a range of stories, qualitatively, that reflect the range of teen readers, from stronger to more reluctant readers. but these stories, even the ones i wasn't totally crazy about, are completely sophisticated and could be included in any adult fantasy collection. well, mostly. there is the "meh" one that didn't really do anything for me, and seemed a little young.

oh, YA
Trudi

Short story collections and anthologies are always a mixed bag for me. Not only do I struggle with my own personal hang-ups when it comes to the short story format itself, you pretty much know going in to any anthology there will be hits and there will be misses. If you're lucky, a few will emerge as outstanding pieces of awesomeness, and I'm thankful to report I experienced that here.

Two things attracted me to this collection: 1) Ellen Datlow (editor extraordinaire) and 2) you had me at dystopi
J.A. Dalley
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Detailed Review of After

The Segment
Really interesting world and characters. Reminded me of Hunger Games. 7
After the Cure
Interesting take on a zombie apocalypse. Great characters!
Valedictorian
Great setting. I really enjoyed it.
Visiting Nelson
I couldn't read more than two pages because the narrative is written from the perspective of an illiterate teenager, i.e. Sint Paul, useta, coz, etc.
All I Know of Freedom
This story was really weird. I didn't like it because it was a green global warming st
StarMan
3+ stars. A little better than expected. Only 2 stories that were below average or irritating in some way. None were mind-blowing.
Pat F.
This book has 3 big things going for it:
1. They're young adult postapocalyptic, which is rare.
2. All of the stories take place only *after* the disaster has occurred--it doesn't really matter how it happened (or even what happened).
3. There's a preponderance of female authors, for once.

As with all short-story collections, some of these are better than others. Standouts for me were the ones by Genevieve Valentine, Sarah Rees Brennan (long-time fan, here) and Cecil Castellucci.
Rachael Snow
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will always be my favorite because it's about my favorite genre! it never bored me and i loved the different takes on what an apocalypse would be like. love love love <3 always on the look out for more books like this one.
Louisa
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I enjoyed a lot of these stories, they were creepy, and good, and now I'm one step closer to rereading Across the Universe!
coconutsnbutts (♫ נєѕѕι¢α  ♪)
OKAY, because this is abuncha little stories bundled up in one, I'm just going to keep updating this review as I go along so I don't forget any important details.

The Segment, by Genevieve Valentine. 2 stars.

Ok so, for some reason it took me super long to get past this story. And that's pathetic 'cause its so short! But I found it completely boring and I didn't even understand what was going on til the end. Like, at all. I don't even know why. I know, so sad. But whatever.

After the cure, by Carr
Rachel
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I give this book a 10/10, all of the stories went together nicely while being intelligent and able to hold their heads up high saying "We all make sense and make you want to read more! But that sucks to be you because there might not be more!"

Segment by Genevieve Valentine
This story was very interesting, it really made me think of the significance of actors in the present time, the characters were interesting and although one girl was very irritating her annoying-ness wasn't without reason. Grea
Margit
It's challenging to build a believable, detailed world with developed, relatable characters in a short story. In order to make a story interesting, you have to add an intriguing plot with good pacing. Some authors are more successful than others at these tasks.

3.5* "The Segment" by Genevieve Valentine - The first page was confusing and hard to get into, but then the story picked up. Loved the ending, which really pulled everything together.

4* "After the Cure" by Carrie Ryan - The pacing was quic
Res
Feb 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: didnt-finish
Unsurprisingly, this is super depressing. Maybe I could have handled it in 2012 when it was new. Right now I don't think it's good for me.
Terri M.
After reading the Ashfall by Mike Mullin, the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and The Hunger Games series by Susanne Collins, I have been drawn to stories about the apocalypse and dystopian societies. They seem to be a reflection of our current society and since I gravitate towards young adult fiction, I’ve been keeping an eye out for this collection ever since I passed up the opportunity to purchase it directly from Ellen when she was a guest at ICON a few years ago. And I was excited to fina ...more
Craig DiLouie
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What happens after the end of the world? That’s the thematic question behind AFTER, an anthology of nineteen stories edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling.

Contributors include Carrie Ryan, Richard Bowes, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Jeffrey Ford and more.

It’s an eclectic collection with a literary bent. In the stories, the characters often try to find meaning and control in an atmosphere of dramatic change or post-change.

My favorite stories were:

Carrie Ryan’s “After the Cure” tells the story of a you
Crys
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The end of the world in a nice anthology of short stories, and a poem. This book has it all for even the most avid dystopian junkie.

This is almost a survival guide for readers because there is a plethora of topics covered. It's like a buffet for the most avid doomer. Vampires take over the world? Check. Bugs coming for us? Check. Aliens? Oh my! And let me not forget the Cult. This is not even a small test of what the authors have given us.

The one thing I love about this anthology is that I did
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love dystopian stories. There are so many possibilities that any story facing some uncertain future always manages to capture me.

Now, I know most don't like short stories, but I do. Let me tell you why? Short stories are quick to the book and for me, leave me wondering what more could happen if the author expand the story? I love that short stories gives the reader a quick glance of what life is like and then close with questions.

As I read through these stories several stood out to me. Now onl
WatermeLoonie
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Most of these short stories were absolutely mindblowingly awesome, thrilling, unexpecting and just generally fun. That's the way short stories are right? And this was even better AS... IT HAD APOCALYPSE. I MEAN IT'S KINDA LIKE AN OKAY THING LIKE BREAD PLUS ANOTHER OKAY THING LIKE CHEEZE AND YOU'VE GOT A CHEEZE TOASTIE. Marvelous!

THe male character ones weren't that great though... it wasn't as moving or awesome or anything.... I mean the first one? One of the best, if not THE best. Genius, quite
Pamela
Mar 09, 2012 marked it as to-read
Only want to read Beth Revis's story but I guess I'll have to read everything in the end anyway...
Stephanie A.
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not only is Susan Beth Pfeffer the only contributing author whose work I've liked out of out of the few I'm familiar with, I really did not pay enough attention to this title, and as a result I got mostly things I hate about the genre instead of post-apocalyptic survivalist stories. Less than half of these merit above 2 stars. But I'm also a stubborn fool, so I marched myself all the way through to the end, and I'm even going to do a short rundown of each story just to make sure I never get curi ...more
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Dystopian or Apocalyptic stories
This review can also be found here

**I won this book in a GoodReads First Reads giveaway**

This review will be a little different since there are nineteen short stories in this book and I don't want a ridiculously long review so I shall just touch on them briefly.

The Segment by Genevieve Valentine

I really liked this story. It was about children and teenagers who are taken in and used to film "news" stories for the rich people in their destroyed society to see. They used this to get them to dona
Jennifer Reves
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
"After" is an amazing dystopian anthology collection of 19 stories about how the world might end. When it comes to the end of the world, most people think it will be a plague, war, or aliens. But these authors had a very different take on how it all will end and I have to say, I did not expect the authors to have so many different creative endings. There was even a story about how time split that has still got me thinking. I think this would be an interesting topic to have 7-12 graders write abo ...more
Elisa
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent group of short stories. Some better than others, but on the whole, I quite enjoyed. And I did like that the final couple ended with a little hope for something better. Live!
But they are after a world ruining event, so most are pretty dark, lots of death, a few twists and surprises. They explore many angles and if you like apocalyptic fiction - wondering how mankind might cope or try to destroy itself, these are for you.
Carmen
STORY 1: The Segment by Genevieve Valentine. News is fake. And the people on the news who are playing the parts of orphans, disaster survivors, child soldiers etc. are slaves sold to the media corporations, after being caught living on the street (being a slave to the Agency is considered better – the street life is horrible). One girl (age 19) tries to warn another girl (16) away from what she thinks is 'her big break'. Why? Of course, for some horrible, depressing reason.
STORY 2: After the Cur
Chapter by Chapter
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
If there’s one form of literature that truly frightens me, it’s anthologies. Why? Because I personally find that when it comes to anthologies, I get really wrapped up in the plots only to find myself being cut off. The end. Done. Never mind how attached I got to the characters in the short story or how I expected a big plot, they just end and leave everything to the imagination. That’s why I love novels, because they usually tie everything up nicely. Like a ribbon on a Christmas present; Wrapped ...more
Jewell Moreno
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
An anthology for teens. Here's a quick breakdown.

The Segment by Genevieve Valentine - The future of the news, and how they get their "story".

After The Cure by Carrie Ryan - This one was my favorite out of the whole book. Great story about what happens once you've been cured of a horrible disease.

Valedictorian by N.K.Jemison - What happens to the smartest and not so smart kids after A.I. has taken over.
Scary possibility.

Visiting Nelson by Katherine Langrish - The sad result of drugs, and an apo
Nancy
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This collection of nineteen short stories about life "after" a catastrophic event was strong. As with any compilation with various authors, some are stronger than others. What follows are a few of my favorites:

Reunion by Susan Beth Pfeffer was by far the best story with a menacing Nazi/Communist vibe to it. A mother and daughter are searching for the beloved younger sister who had been kidnapped from them during the previous brutal regime. What they endured for years is horrific and there was a
Candace
Datlow and Windling's YA anthologies are always worth reading. The first one I read was The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm in 2004. That book was worth reading for its introduction and its list of Further Reading alone. It introduced me to The King of Elfland's Daughter and Stardust . For months, I was obsessed with faeries, reading novel after novel from the list. I also read their anthology The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest which has all the same great information, Further ...more
Kristi
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trc2015
This book has been read and reviewed for Reading Thru the Library.

Yay, our first four star review!

So I started out this review with 5 categories: great, good, meh, bad, awful; the more stories that I finished though, the more I felt that none of them were going to be bad or awful. Even though there are quite a few in my 'meh' category, they weren't really bad. Just kinda boring, or too overwhelmed for a short story. The great ones were really, really awesome, though. Definitely worth a read.

Gre
Blane S
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After is 19 separate short stories from other popular authors who contributed stories. Some of them were post-apocalyptic, and showed the life of specific people about their situation and clues of how it all fell around them. Others were about dystopias, with dictators,unfair rules, or overthrown governments. All stories were exciting that caught my attention at the first few sentences. There are many things I like about these stories, like how each one was written. Each story had its own style ...more
Lori
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I love this collection of short stories. Then again, I love dystopia/post-apocalyptic fiction, so I was probably bound to love it. The Segment was a perfect intro book for this collection. Blood Drive was eerie to read given the current events/discussion related to guns & schools. After the Cure was excellent (as Carrie Ryan always is). The Other Elder made me wish I could read a whole book series set on that ship.

Only two of the stories have been less than 5 stars in my opinion, and some of
Charlotte
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it

After consists of nineteen stories by some of your favorite YA authors like Garth Nix, Susan Beth Pfeffer, and Gregory Maguire to name a few. The stories range in varying degrees of terrifying. Like teens who live in a world where everyone carries a gun to school. Teens who are on a spaceship, and another story features a crucial game of baseball played with the Creepies are just a few examples of what imaginative stories you will find in this book.

You all

• Wastelands 2: More Stories of the Apocalypse
  • The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows
  • Magic in the Mirrorstone
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #8)
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • Mad World: Epidemic
  • Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze, #1)
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter

Across the Universe (3 books)
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
“We started as accidents,” he continues, behind her. “Leftovers. Microbes in a digital sea. We fed on interrupted processes, interrupted conversations, grew, evolved. The first humans we merged with were children using a public library network too ancient and unprotected to keep us out. Nobody cared if poor children got locked away in institutions, or left out on the streets to shiver and starve, when they started acting strange. No one cared what it meant when they became something new—or at least, not at first. We became them. They became us. Then we, together, began to grow.” 2 likes
“I was taught that the villagers and the slum dwellers were like animals,” she said. “It was the responsibility of people of the educated classes to see to it rules were followed and order maintained. Animals can’t think for themselves. Animals have no feelings.” 1 likes