Start by marking “ASBO (Damienverse, #2)” as Want to Read:
ASBO (Damienverse, #2)

ASBO

(Damienverse #2)

YOUR FEAR IS THEIR ENTERTAINMENT...

Andrew’s life is one of bored contentedness: a teenage daughter, a faithful wife, and a middle-class job. He even has a Mercedes. His life is without drama, and the comfort of middle-age is setting in.

That all changes when he refuses to buy a pack of cigarettes for the local gang of youths. Led by the emotionally unstable, and sadistic, F
Published January 2012 by Silk Raven Associates (first published January 1st 2011)

Alejandro
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, novel
Really gripping book!

CREEPY GOOD FIND

I read this book in like 4 days. Not like 24/7 frenzy way but I read it in any spare time that I had on those 4 days.

It's an excellent book. At first I had some different expectations about how the events will develop but I wasn't dissapointed either. I would like to see a little more of development of certain secondary characters, but it's like the only thing that I could find as a critique.

In the first chapters I thought that I will give it only 4 sta
Angel Gelique
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ASBO photo: asbo ASBO.jpg

Andrew Goodman, his wife and Penelope (Pen) and his daughter Becky (Bex) are enjoying a nice, quiet evening at home when Pen informs him that there are a group of teenagers hanging around their home, making her uneasy.
"They're just harmless kids," he says. But on his way to getting the family some cod and chips, he'll find out otherwise....

The ringleader of the group, Frankie Walker, is an aggressive delinquent who was recently released from prison. His group of violent, hostile followers do ev
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of Andrew and his family who run foul of a local troublemaker. Andrew goes out for fish and chips and bumps into Frankie. Fresh out of a young offenders institution and looking to make trouble, he asks Andrew to buy him a packet of cigarettes, Andrew refuses. Soon though he comes to wish he had just bought the cigarettes as over the course of a week Frankie unleashes a reign of terror and brutality on Andrew and his family. It all culminates on one fateful night that none of th ...more
Jan
Sep 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Badly written, gratuitous violence with no depth to the characters, felt the author was trying to go for the shock factor and had thrown every depravity and abuse in the pot for good measure
John Podlaski
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just think about it...how often have you flipped off somebody for cutting you off while driving or spewing insults at you from the next car over? Life goes on, right? Well, one day, you may not be so lucky - the young teenager you insulted might be a psychopath...he will get you back. The newspapers today are filled with stories about people going off the deep end...we soon learn they have a mental condition and haven't been taking their medicines. Who suffers then? Of course, the recipient of t ...more
Justin
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lendable
I loved the first half, it was a great set up for a really good revenge story, but then. ..... (view spoiler) ...more
Patricia Kaniasty
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One good thing about having the flu is you get to finish reading a really good book in one sitting. I mean REALLY good. This story kind of scared me. It could really happen. Maybe not to this extreme but close. A must read for people who like a good thriller.
Claire
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a scary read! I think every reader can relate to this - ever had a bit of road rage or refused to be bullied? Well, in this novel the bullies that Andrew refuses to let intimidate him fight back - and they do so in style.
I love Iain's books, but this was truly scary, such a gruesome tale, it made me really wonder where Iain gets his ideas from - what a great imagination to dream up such a story.
At the beginning of the book I really thought Sam was a nice boy - how wrong was I? The
Shadow Girl
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!
I had it chillin' in my Kindle for a long time, I wish I'd have read it before now.

Andrew is just a regular Joe. He’s married, has a teenaged daughter, normal job – a pretty good life.
One particular nice evening, he decides to walk over to grab some take-out for dinner. He sees a group of young guys between him & his destination, but decides to just walk on by instead of taking a different route. Mistake.
Big mistake.
Things go from bad to worse, and the author makes everythi
Jen from Quebec :0)
This was a great read- really fast paced. In fact, it had the feel of a movie. It is set in England, so there were some slang terms here and there that I didn't know, but I liked it- it added to the sense of realism. Andrew, the protagonist, is a happily married father with a teen daughter. Their neighborhood however, is suffering from the horrible result of teen boredom: teen street gangs with nothing to do but terrorize people. People like Andrew. Frankie, leader of a gang of teens, becomes fi ...more
Lisa Sandberg
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is what terror is!! This is the stuff that happens in every day life and it's scary. The young people of today are just terrible, not only the ones that commit crimes, but the others as well, the ones that have no respect and feel the world and everyone in it owes them something. Really? Come on! Get over your big bad selves and realize this isn't a "me me me" world.

This is about a man and his family who are terrorized by a local thug, Frankie, and his cohorts. Frankie is one bad kid.
ADignorantium
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spellbinding
There is no monster more terrifying than a human.

Andrew's wife, Penelope notices a group of teenagers hanging on the corner in front of their home. Andrew shrugs it off as just bored kids wasting the hours away, nothing more sinister than what they did when they were that age.
As dinner time approaches, daughter Rebecca convinces mom and dad that an order from the local chip shop would hit the spot. On the walk to the chip shop, Andrew has his first encounter with Frankie and his pals. Frankie,
Keith Chawgo
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ASBO is one of those books that starts quickly and keeps moving at a steady pace. The violence is quick and gruelling and you really do feel for the victims due to their three dimensional characteristics which the author has done wonderfully.

The monsters of the piece unfortuantely are not as well rounded and come a bit like a Richard Laymon villian but this is not particularly a bad thing but when a full reveal happens about a thug, it falls slightly short. This will not ruin your enjoyment of t
Vix
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
went to bed to read a few chapters of this book.... stayed awake for another 5hrs reading as could not put this down.
Wow Iain grips you right from the first few pages and does not let go.
The characters are believable and this makes for a gut wrenching read. Iain states this is a thriller more than horror, but I beg to differ... the truth in this novel is horrifying... none of it seems OTT or not plausible.
All big towns/cities in UK have this issue now with feral kids running around bored, and re
Sean Randall
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm sure this novel will appeal to anyone who's found increasing incivility in the youth today, although having it set in the county where I live was a little off-putting! Of course I know that this is fiction, but it does lead one to the inevitable conclusion that this sort of thing can quite easily happen to any family at any time, and that is a sad state of affairs.

A few minor errors, just to keep my hand in - "beneath the scolding stream" (scold and scald are different words, of course). "h
Keith Norman
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story follows a normal family man just getting on with life until he has a small run in with the local youths,as like in this day and age,they show no respect or care for anyone else. On this occasion it starts as a request/demand for fags. What would you do? You ask yourself this a lot through this book,as the threats become real and people start getting hurt. How far would you go to protect your family from a careless thoughtless threat that seems to get off on putting you and your family ...more
James DeSantis
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solid horror/thriller. It's scary to think people act this way but growing up in Brooklyn New York I can easily see it as well. The ending didn't leave off in a total bleak way which I thought it might but the author wasn't afraid to take daring choices on some characters. Overall it's a fun/enjoyable read.
Brenda Seaberg
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent. My adrenalin was up from the frustration and anger I felt as I read it. I felt horror and disbelief as things progressed, at the police department as well as the perpetrators. How awful! I will definitely be reading more by this author, and I would certainly recommend this.
Leigh Thomas
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a harrowing story about one man's seemingly innocent encounter with a group of kids that turns deadly!

If you liked the movie Eden Lake then you'll love this book!
Nina
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars Entertaining easy read which tugs at fears we encounter in every day urban life and begs the questions - what would I do and how far would I go to protect my loved ones or exact revenge
Rob Whaley
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one disturbing book. The way in which the author both imagined, delivered and described both Frankie and the transformation of the main character (Andrew) was incredible.
Matthew Gregg
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it

Bad title...very good novel. Twisty but realistic. Loved the British lingo!!
Gina
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a terrifying story. The story was very well written and the story was very believable. The characters are easy to sympathize with.
TotallyDevious - Ashley
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a good book, I honestly couldn't put it down and read it in two days, I would read more by this author in the future and anyone that likes books like this, I would recommend.
Lynda
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jordan Anderson
Spooktober 2018 Book 2

Asbo marks the 2nd book in my attempt to cram as many “horror” novels into the month of October as humanly possible. And though it’s only the 2nd one of the month, I gotta say, it ended up being a total surprise.

I read Iain Rob Wright once before, many years ago. It could have been the book’s subject matter (zombie in space at a Disneyland on the moon), but I wasn’t immediately impressed. Sure, Wright could write (ha, that’s a funny sentence), but I didn’t see the huge accl
DolphinBlue
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book but was glad I only paid .99 for it.

The story is good, interesting, compelling. The characters are a bit thin. We are brought into the story as the terror begins, with no background or build-up. If the author had added some flashbacks or background to develop the characters a little more, I would have cared more about them.

Still, it was a fun and quick read, and I did find myself thinking about the book after it was over, which is always a good sign.
Katie Warburton
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read from Iain Rob Wright. A real page turner, the storyline was completely believable as you hear so many horror stories along these lines. It made me feel completely on edge, really feeling for the family involved and on the flip side, enraged with the perpetrators. Highly recommended.
Andy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the build up of this story and how quickly things went wrong for Andrew and his family.

I didn’t give this 5 stars as I thought it went a little awry towards the end but found it a tense page turner and would definitely recommend it.
Martin Wilkinson
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Riveting

What another great work from this author. The way the story runs through in detail got me actually hating the characters. Its a typical story on the way society let's innocent people down regards law and protection.
  • Leviathan
  • 65 Proof
  • Past Imperfect
  • Corrosion
  • The Tent
  • Asylum (The Asylum Trilogy, #1)
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec

Damienverse (7 books)
  • Sam (Damienverse, #1)
  • The Final Winter (Damienverse, #3)
  • The Housemates (Damienverse, #4)
  • Sea Sick
  • Ravage (Ravaged World Trilogy, #2) (Damienverse, #6)
  • Savage  (Ravaged World Trilogy, #3) (Damienverse, #7)