Start by marking “Gathering Clouds...” as Want to Read:
Gathering Clouds...

Read Book

Gathering Clouds...

‘Are you telling us,’ said John, finding it hard to control himself, ‘that you have a brother out there, flying around in a homemade spacecraft tied together with bits of wire mesh and tape, and that these all powerful aliens can’t harm him in any way?’
‘Precisely!’

The wheel was invented in Mesopotamia around the year 3500 bc. George Stephensen designed a steam locomotive c
ebook
Published by James Field (first published January 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Gathering Clouds..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gathering Clouds...

Sean DeLauder
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Trevor Cloud is a reclusive genius who has invented a machine that can go anywhere, endure any environment, and is powered by any energy expended around or upon it. His focus on the development of his extraordinary machine, an egg-shaped contraption he calls The Cloud, has left him only dimly aware of the fact that the clouds of Earth are curiously in absentia. It isn’t long, however, before Trevor, and his less reclusive brother, Russell, learn the nefarious source of the missing clouds—an extr ...more
Laura Thomas
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remember reading science fiction when I was a teenager and falling in love with it. I couldn't get enough. James Field writes science fiction the way it is supposed to be written. The pages are filled with technological wonders and fantastical alien life forms. I was snagged, hook, line and sinker by the first sentence.
"Within the next few seconds Trevor will either experience a titanic swell of satisfaction - or die a gruesome death."
Did it hook you? On to the story.
The Cloud machine may look
Lou Ann
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally impossible but

so much fun it was very hard to put it down. A factory reset brain/computer/robot gives Trevor better control of the Cloud and keeps alien casualties small. Enjoy!
Penumbra
I received Gathering Clouds through Making Connections ARR: Science Fiction for an honest review, thank you.

(view spoiler)
Michael Gardner
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Trevor Cloud invents an indestructible flying saucer. Good timing, because there are a bunch of giant alien insects stealing water from Earth. Aided by his brother, Russell, a martial arts expert, they take the ship into space to confront the Mantis. Piece of cake, right? No. The Mantis show them they’re in for a fight and our hero brothers end up on the opposite side of the Universe, in a spaceship junkyard, the victims of the ruthless Mantis.

James Field is a most entertaining writer. In style,
Hock Tjoa
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is science fiction of the first order. It lacks perhaps the philosophical dimensions of Arthur Clarke's fables, but is at least as good as anything Asimov wrote. Two rather young men, one a brilliant student of physics (he takes it to the level of "hyper-dimension physics," if you get the picture), the other an eighteen old master of five different martial arts and of meditation with mental techniques at least as important as his brother's hyper-dimensional physics lead the defense of earth ...more
Lara
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I really like the concept in this quirky sci-fi novel - two brothers fight aliens in their home made spaceship and I'd be happy to read more stories about them.

It seems a bit odd to say it, but I found some aspects of the novel a little implausible. Not the sci-fi, but the 'real world' parts of the story, like the 18 year old martial arts master. And I would have liked a bit more fleshing out of the relationship between the brothers, more back-story if you will. I think this could have easily b
Wilde Sky
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The world is going through a dramatic climate change - the clouds and life giving rain have disappeared. Can two young brothers, Trevor and Russell, save the world?

The storyline is very well developed and contains many ingenious ideas, but some of the characters didn’t ring true and some of the writing could have been tighter.

If you enjoy sci-fi (such as Battlestar Galactica) you’ll enjoy this book.

Originally I’ve rated this book 3 star overall – 4 for the storyline, but only 2 for the character
Victoria Zigler
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written book, which drew my attention from the start and held it throughout. The characters are well rounded and the descriptions are fantastic. A pleasant combination of action scenes and slower scenes of less activity keep the plot flowing smoothly, and there's just enough scientific information to make it clear you're reading a sci-fi novel without you feeling like you're being bombarded with facts from a textbook. I would highly recommend this book to all fans of science ficti ...more
George Kwiatkowski
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is fun read as brothers Trevor and Russell save the earth from giant insects. The insects are taking earth's water, the planet is drying up and dying. Looks like nothing can stop the bugs as they have been doing this for a while. Enter the extraordinary Cloud brothers and the fun begins.
Roland  Hagge
Sep 03, 2014
Kerrin Nishimura
Mar 10, 2013
TLBL
rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2016
Toni Auger
Sep 12, 2017
Patrick
Nov 27, 2014
Goodreads Author ...: Is this marketing technique the answer? 27 103 Feb 20, 2012 11:03AM
I was born in Essex, England, in 1951.

My early days of work as an engineer led me to Norway where I met my future wife Kari. She moved to England where we married and raised our two daughters. We moved back to Norway in 1985.

My wife and I now live far in the north, well within the Arctic Circle, in the land of the midnight sun. Life here is slow and comfortable, blessed by unspoilt nature and its