Start by marking “Orbital Hearts” as Want to Read:
Orbital Hearts

Read Book

Orbital Hearts

Imagine two (or more) hearts forever linked but forced, like
orbital bodies, to never touch, to circle in each other's gravity well, locked in tidal forces, but forever pushed apart. This anthology features ten short stories about love and heartbreak that spin out of our realm, into the fantastic and unknown. But they all take seed in your heart, because they have somethin
ebook, ARC
Published February 2012 by Escape Collective Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Orbital Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orbital Hearts

Mephistia
I didn't know quite what to expect when I opened this. A friend sent me the ARC and asked that I read it, review it, and let him know my thoughts. I was mostly excited because it's the first ARC I've ever gotten. It was described to me as an "anti-Valentines day anthology," but that didn't tell me much. I wasn't sure whether I was about to read a series of stories about how much Valentines Day sucks or what.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with Valentines Day, other than apparently being released in
Violetta Vane
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm a VD Scrooge (juvenile pun intended). I regard the holiday, for the most part, as an irritating commercial venture. So I was quite happy to read an advance copy of an anti-Valentine's Day compilation.

The theme and the title aligned perfectly. I found myself enjoying almost all of the stories, and had my socks knocked off by several. I highly recommend this for any fan of SF/F and/or weird fiction.

I'll have to note that my ARC contained some sentence errors, but I'm not going to focus on tho
Katie Nolan
After some debate, I'm not giving this book any stars because I think I was the wrong audience for it. Seven out of the ten stories left me feeling: "...your point?" The overall effect was dark and moody but with nothing in particular to say. This works for some people. Just not for me.

I will say that, with some exceptions, I was really disappointed with the treatment of women. Most of the female characters were either flat or only ever seen through the eyes of male characters. The inclusion of
Tara Hall
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review of I Promise the Sun Shall Rise by T. Fox Dunham:

I expected this story to be sad. How could it not be, when the theme of the anthology this story appears in is Love's Bitter Ruins? I hardened my heart in anticipation, not wanting to feel anything for characters that were already doomed to an unhappy end. Then, I began I Promise the Sun Shall Rise and was sucked right in.
The title of the story comes from a story the narrator, Timothy, is telling to his love, Mary, in his efforts to keep he
Leeann Floyd
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Valentine's Day is not my favorite holiday. I don't hate it, but it feels like I spend February surrounded by hearts, lace, and serial killing monsters who all find true and magical love waiting around the next paragraph. That said, when I was given the opportunity to take a look at a preview copy of 'Orbital Hearts' I jumped at it for a few reasons. I love anthologies, I am, as I stated, not a fan of the holiday, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what a collection of "Anti-Valentine ...more
Georgina Kamsika
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclosure - I have a story in this anthology. But I'm reviewing the other 9 stories. All nine follow the same theme - Love's Bitter Ruins - but are tackled in very different ways - including the styles and the genres. I loved all the stories, with 'Quasi Stellar' being my favourite. There's an interesting modern look at the Fates which I enjoyed, too.

Great for those who bah humbug at valentines day, or for those who like their romances with a dark edge.
Michelle Ann King
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure: I received a contributor's copy of the anthology, as it includes one of my own stories. So I won't mention that one :-)

Overall, the stories work very well as a themed set, with love being doomed in many and varied ways. I particularly enjoyed the lush sorrow of 'I Promise the Sun Shall Rise,' the disconcerting creepiness of 'Quasi Stellar,' and the inexorable mythic sadness of 'Clotho.'

A very fine collection.
Patrick Jennings-Mapp
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nigel Goodwin
Jul 19, 2012
Bena Holbrook
Nov 13, 2012
L.S. Johnson
Feb 12, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: read-me-here