Start by marking “The Journey” as Want to Read:
The Journey

The Journey

Danger
Shortly after the Netherfield ball, Elizabeth Bennet begins a journey to visit her relations in London with her travelling companions, Mr. Bingley's sisters and the proud, arrogant Mr. Darcy. Suddenly, their carriage is abruptly stopped, and Elizabeth hears the menacing cry, "Stand and deliver!"

Abduction
The leader of a band of highwaymen, Nate Morgan, a handsom
Published November 17th 2011 by Meryton Press

To ask other readers questions about The Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journey

Sheila Majczan
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having reread this book now in paperback I have copied and pasted my review from the Kindle edition. I loved this story all over again and had renewed tears as well. I won this book as part of the grand prize in a raffle from The Darcy Monologues tour.

Sophia
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love exploring Austenesque 'what if' stories. This one asks the question of what if Darcy and Lizzy's story deviated from the original after the Netherfield Ball when they go on a dangerous adventure together as a result of a highwayman's interference.

I loved the excitement added to the story as a result of the a band of thieves and highwaymen which led to my utter pleasure of seeing Darcy in the role of Lizzy's protector. It was intriguing to see what happens when there is a competing suitor
Sheila Majczan
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that this story had me sobbing with angst in several places. What a wonderful story. Of course, Darcy and Elizabeth had to have their share of misunderstandings. And, as so many have said, Bingley's and Jane's engagement dinner is not to be missed. That and the scene just preceding it are ones that will be read over and over again separate from reading the entire story repeatedly. I read this in one day; could not put it down.

Others have set down the storyline very adequately so
Don Jacobson
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still A Powerful Story

Ms Hahn knows how to spin a great story. Her command of the Canon is unparalleled. I first encountered this story early in my journey into the alt universe of JAFF. Now, after several hundred stories, I understand why these are amongst the top ones. Enjoy the appropriate level of angst rising from misunderstanding and jealousy. My only complaint is the far end of the epilogue seems a tad Pat.
Christina
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
At last, at last. It’s arrived at last. Fans of Jan Hahn, author of An Arranged Marriage, winner of 2011 Best Indie Book award by Austenprose, have been all anticipation for the release of The Journey. This Pride & Prejudice twist begins shortly after the Netherfield Ball. Miss Elizabeth Bennet refuses the toady Mr. Collins’ marriage proposal, Elizabeth escapes her carping mother and journeys to London for a visit with her aunt and uncle. Reluctantly she travels with Mr. Bingley’s conceited, ...more
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
In her second Pride and Prejudice retelling, author Jan Hahn not only takes our beloved Darcy and Elizabeth off course, she transports them to scenario rife with danger, tension, and romance.

Because of Mrs. Bennet's endless tirade over Elizabeth's refusal of Mr. Collins, Mr. Bennet sends Elizabeth to London to stay with her Aunt and Uncle Gardiner, in hopes that his wife will soon reconcile herself to the fact that Lizzy will not be the next Mrs. Collins. Although not the arrangement initially
Elin Eriksen
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable!
At least the first half, ladled with angst, thrill and suspense, intersped with some tender moments that kept my attention in an iron grip.
The latter half was a tad disappointing compared to the first half. The misunderstandings was of the kind that could have easily been avoided with a couple of sentences of frankness. The end was lovely and generous in lenght and content which did a lot in redeeming the weaker parts.
Since the first half was 5*+++ I landed on a straight 5 in the
Charlene
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
WOW I really did like this story!! I really would rate it 41/2 stars. Her first book was definitely better but not by much.
This alternative has Elizabeth's father asking Mr Bingley to escort Lizzy to london to her Aunt and Uncle Gardeners house to avoid her mothers wrath over her refusing Mr Collins. Unfortunately Mr Bingley is unable to go with the party, but Mr Darcy, Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst are all in the carriage together. On the way to London they are robbed by some Highwaymen and they
Nicole Barton Sasser
I loved this unique variation! The portion regarding their captivity was exciting and impossible to put down. The summary sounded a little too much, but I am so glad a gave this book a chance. It is now a favourite.
Talia
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This author knows how to keep us interested! Highwaymen, abduction, imprisonment, escape, the hunt, etc. Wow, that was a fun read. The angst was just right. Everything about this story was just right. I need to read the other books now. :)
Joelle
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jane-austen-ish
The historical inaccuracies were irksome, and the misunderstandings which led to needless drama were ridiculous. Hence only two stars. I don’t mind when history gets bent a little for the sake of a good plot, but I have a low tolerance for an author who does a retelling of P & P and makes Elizabeth and Darcy do things that are totally out of character.
Lit Reader
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun P&P retelling/variation; in this case the scene setting is wild and very out of character from the original author. Mr. Darcy and Lizzy are attacked on the road and abducted by a band of thieves, they struggle with captivity, threats and later their escape. Everything here is unlikely, and yet both main characters remain true to their classical makeup. Not the best variation out there, still fun, cute and interesting as an exercise for a hardcore P&P fan.
Isa Lavinia
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it

HELP! I SUFFER FROM A TERRIBLE AFFLICTION! I CAN'T STOP READING THESE P&P FANFICS!

There really should be a support group for people like me, I honestly cannot stop.

I've read some pretty terrible adaptations, but thankfully this wasn't one of those.
Yes, there were a few things I disliked, mentions of Alice in Wonderland (which hadn't been published at the time), Elizabeth wearing corsets instead of stays, a bunch of historical inaccuracies, if I must be truthful.

But really, this is basica
Susan
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
A Pride and Prejudice variation where just after the Netherfield Ball Elizabeth is travelling to London with Darcy, Caroline Bingley and Mrs Hurst, when they are held up by highwaymen. Then Darcy and Elizabeth are kidnapped and to save her reputation Darcy declares that they are married, and now they have to rely on each other to survive.
This is the second book of Jan's I have read and I have loved them both.
Sophie
I have just finished reading my second variation by Jan Hahn after thoroughly enjoying An Arranged Marriage. The Journey was equally as brilliant - it was nice to read a variation which was full of proper adventure and real danger!

Having been captured by highwaymen, the situation allows for very different sides to Darcy and Elizabeth to come to light. Darcy shows great bravery and quick thinking in the face of danger as well as great compassion in offering to give himself for ransom instead of
Barbara K.
It was a great idea. I just think maybe some serious thought about the order in which things were revealed and putting the climax in the right place would have helped this story shine.
Jakki
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pack your valise and don your traveling dress. You are about to embark on an exciting journey full of bumps, unexpected turns, and even a handsome villain, who may play with your sensibilities.

When kidnapped by highwaymen, Darcy and Elizabeth find themselves tossed together under alarming circumstances. In order to make it out alive, they must learn to depend on and trust each other. Throughout this journey, time and again, Darcy endeavors to show Elizabeth to what extent he will go in order to
Candy
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque
I loved this story! Again Jan Hahn delivers another fantastic P&P what-if story. I have been waiting for this to come out in the kindle version and when it did I grabbed it and I couldn’t put it down!

Written from Elizabeth's point of view, The Journey takes Elizabeth and Darcy down a different path, starting after Elizabeth turns down Mr. Collins's proposal. To escape her mother's wrath, Mr. Bennet arranges a trip for Elizabeth to visit the Gardiners.

While traveling to London the carriage
Sue
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It had a good balance of angst, misunderstandings, sweet romantic moments, funny dialogue. Who would ever have imagined Darcy and Elizabeth kidnapped by highwaymen? Darcy in an effort to protect Elizabeth from one of the rogues declares they are married. Darcy takes charge in this ordeal and Elizabeth can only take so much before her rebellious streak surfaces. Can't you just picture it? One kidnapper Nate Morgan has intensely blue eyes that feel as tho they look right thr ...more
James S
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not black and white, not the correct gray either

Well written story. The thrust of the story is that even though four highwaymen have abducted Elizabeth and Darcy, the author seems to want to portray the leader as a scoundrel and not dangerously evil.

After reading that section of the book twice though I see the leader as being an uneducated Wickham. Elizabeth just barely talks him out of assaulting her. After he begins to like Elizabeth he keeps the other three from doing the same.

From that point
Tess Quinn
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This novel takes the reader on a journey right along with Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy from Jane Austen's novel, Pride and Prejudice. An alternate path, it is nonetheless a wild ride -- and I appreciated much about Ms Hahn's ability to both keep the main characters 'true' to the originals in P&P, and seamlessly weave in short segments of Jane Austen's own P&P narrative directly but with different context than its original placement. She has an enjoyable writing style, and her admiration ...more
Barb
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
An intriguing story about Darcy and Elizabeth being abducted. Elizabeth joins Darcy and the Bingley's during their trip to London after the Netherfield ball. They are accosted by highwaymen who wish to take Elizabeth as a hostage. Darcy, concerned for her safety and virtue, claims she is his wife in order to be taken along with her. The ensuing storyline has the two of them confined together in one room as they attempt to outwit their captors. Truly not a story at all in keeping with the origina ...more
Eliza Baum
Reread 10/8/16

I was in the mood for something sort of fanciful. I still find this one rather over the top, but there are some very nice bits, too. Skipped the epilogue this time.

Original read 7/21/15

The plot of this P&P variation was pretty far-fetched and, many times, silly. Lots of fluff. I admit I started skimming at some point, and I almost didn't read the last 15% or so. It seemed too fluffy by that time. The last chapter + epilogue were excessive. I appreciate as much as the average pe
Sandra
I really enjoyed this variation of P&P. This is so different from the normal plot twists. So, I was driven to read more.

Foolish Lizzy! But she has misjudged characters before. She believes there is some good in this Morgan character, but fails to see the man IS a thief! Of course, Darcy misunderstands her motives and she in turn misunderstands him. But through it all, they fall in love and manage to make a mess of that with more misunderstandings. This is the exact thing that tortures me, y
Madenna U
Just after the Netherfield ball, Elizabeth is traveling to London with Darcy, Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst. On the way they are stopped by highway men. In order to save Elizabeth Darcy claims they they are married! The two of them are kidnapped. They must quickly learn to get along and be brave to survive the situation during and the consequences after.

I enjoyed a quite a bit of this book, but the happily ever after went on for to long and then there was an epilogue!
Leslie
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are parts of this book I liked very much. I read immediately following An Arranged Marriage by the same author and it just isn't as good. Mostly I found myself not like this version of Lizzy. The story and other characters are very good.
Emilia Barnes
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favourite of Jan Hahn's Pride and Prejudice variations. Written from Elizabeth's point of view, it explores her and Darcy's capture by a highwayman. The concept sounds silly, but the execution is actually really good.
Abhinav Pandey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This deserves 5 star, because writer had all that angst and desperation building up by creating two most stubborn Darcy and Elizabeth, but at the time of resolution it became just sweetest pain.

The way two mistakenly believed other to be not in love with them and for that they were both willing to sacrifice their own love, it was touching.

A little bit more blame lies with Elizabeth, as she pesters Darcy a lot about Wickham and at that time they were in such a situation that I don't thi
Rhonda
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Type: Pride and Prejudice Variation
Perspective: Third Person
Romance Level: Kissing
Recommended: Hesitant yes, 2.5 stars

This Pride and Predjudice Variation/Alternate Path (same characters, alternate story) takes place just after the Netherfield ball. Darcy returns to London with Bingley's sisters, but Elizabeth travels with them to visit her Aunt and Uncle Gardiner. The whole party is robbed at gunpoint by highwaymen with Darcy declaring Elizabeth as his wi
Mary Langton
A bit far fetched at times.

This is the second of Jan Hahn books I have read and having really enjoyed 'The Secret Betrothal', settled down to read this one with great anticipation. I was disappointed sadly. Don't misunderstand me, it was a decent read, but for me it was more in the genre of a rollicking good adventure in "The Boy's Own" annual than a D and E romance.
You really had to suspend your belief system at times especially during the kidnapping event. The Elizabeth of this story made me

• Remembrance Of The Past
  • A Noteworthy Courtship
  • Ardently: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • Bewitched, Body and Soul: Miss Elizabeth Bennet
  • The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2)
  • Sketching Character