Start by marking “Chimera (The Subterrene War, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chimera (The Subterrene War, #3)

Chimera

(The Subterrene War #3)

Escaped Germline soldiers need to be cleaned up, and Stan Resnick is the best man for the job. A job that takes him to every dark spot and every rat hole he can find.

Operatives from China and Unified Korea are gathering escaped or stolen Russian and American genetics, and there are reports of new biological nightmares: half-human things, bred to live their entire lives enc
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

Mia
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I started 'Chimera' with a mix of eagerness and sadness-- eagerness because T.C. McCarthy's 'Subterrene War' series has become a new favorite, sadness in knowing that this is the third and final book in the series. All 3 books -- Germline, Exogene & Chimera -- form a cohesive, symbiotic whole, pieces of a puzzle that fit perfectly. These books are not easy reads, most certainly not light reads. Each book will repeatedly break your heart. The series is a ride through the highways and byways o ...more
Milo (BOK)
“A fast paced, gripping novel that delivers an explosive, satisfying conclusion to Tc McCarthy’s Subterrene War Trilogy. Amazing stuff.” ~The Founding Fields

The Subterrene War Trilogy’s opener, Germline, if I remember correctly, was one of the first few novels that I received for review outside of tie-in fiction and it’s been a fantastic ride right the way through. Exogene was a stunning follow up that didn’t let me down, and now – having read Chimera in a super quick time, having not being able
Paul Nelson
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books-read
The final book of the the subterrene war trilogy and another gritty read. The war in Kazakhstan is over, Stan Resnick a veteren soldier is employed by special operations to hunt and kill escaped germline soldiers and harbours an intense hatred for the non human's.
Margaret is one of the germlines to escape from the war to Thailand, where the spoiling process is reversed and in return she and the other germlines swear allegiance to the king of Thailand.
Margaret is revered by all the germlines as
James Cox
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe this is the last book in the series! This was a hell of a ride.
Max
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
McCarthy, knowledgeable in biology and having been a CIA employee, knows a lot about covert warfare and the deployment of biological material. in this third and final volume of his Subeterrene War trilogy, we accompany Stan "Bug" Resnick, a soldier/hunter who is specialised in hunitng and killing genetically enhanced female warriors, whom he despises. Reading this book you cannot escape the horror of warfare, the descriptions are graphic and almost make you feel and smell the craziness of it all ...more
Timothy Ward
I finished this book a few months ago, but have been sitting on this review because I have such mixed feelings about it. I settled on 4 stars because it is written just as well as the other books in the series, but where this one fell short for me was in the likability of the main character.

Stan Resnick is a Special Forces operative in a war that has brought Big Brother out into the open across the world as nations fight tooth and nail for the last natural resources and best military technology.
Julia Nolan
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chimera is the kind of book that reminds me why I love reading. It didn't change my life or make me think new and amazing things (hence the 4 vs. 5 stars), but it was a legitimately enjoyable ride from beginning to end. I suspect that virtually anyone who likes military science fiction set in distopian worlds will really enjoy it.

The plot is beautifully paced and quite engaging. Stan Resnick (code named Bug)'s job is cleaning up satos – teenaged girls genetically engineered to be perfect warrior
Winterking
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chimera, book 3 of the Subterrene War Trilogy, keeps on track with the other books in the series along with the war itself. Each book gives insight into the horror of the war and the aftermath felt by country, civilian and soldier.
This book tells the story of a Special Forces soldier that hunts renegade Germline soldiers (Genetically created super-soldier clones.) He suffers from such PTSD it not only affects his private life, but his life within the military. They put up with him because he’s v
Dale
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impressive end to an impressive trilogy.

Published by Blackstone Audio in 2012
Duration: 10 hours, 57 minutes
Read by John Pruden

Chimera
is the third installment of new author T.C. McCarthy's remarkable Subterrene War trilogy. This is not an easy trilogy. It has brutal battle scenes, shows the reader an uncomfortable vision of technology pushed too far and asks important questions about what it is to be human. And, on top of that these three books are well-told, hair-raising trips through three dif
Nicole Bates
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
Chimera, the third and final story in T.C. McCarthy’s Subterrene War trilogy, is definitely my favorite of the three novels. I found Stan Resnick, a.k.a. “Bug”, to be the most intriguing of the three different main characters in the series. Stan has spent his entire military career thus far hunting escaped Germline units. Now he finds himself on a mission which forces him to work in cooperation with the genetically engineered female warriors to stop an even greater threat.

I’m impressed with the
Benjamin Cheah
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chimera is a fitting end to a dark trilogy. This novel covers and closes the story threads picked up in the previous two stories, tying all three stories together. It is a grim, steely-eyed look at a future of constant industrial war, with nations snatching for strategic resources and redefining humanity through genetic and biological engineering. The prose is sharp and taut, the action scenes brutal and unflinching, and the characters engaging.

Where the story fails at is military and military s
Patrik
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With this as a strong finisher I'm now (sadly) done with the germline series. It has taken me from the dusty steppes of Kaz through the snow of Siberia, and finally to the jungles of Thailand. And what a trip it has been.

The sci-fi element in these books is quite low, if you exclude the genetics, but it's still there, and the grim picture that is drawn of the future is very much realistic and plausible. Wars are going on as always, and they're fought by men and women on the ground, as always.

Th
Lisa
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel like I wandered away from this series feeling like there wasn't much of a point to it. No great sweeping changes for the betterment of people. No acknowledgement of the genetically raised super soldier's person-hood. Shame on the humanity in this series. Again, didn't find the characters to be very likable and, since we're once again paired with a drug addicted male who isn't doing his job, not much for me to connect with.

So that's it. Felt like a very mediocre series. I'm looking forward
L Morgan
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
10 word review: excellent capstone to McCarthy's brutal & soul crushing tales of war
Liam
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the weakest of the Subterrene books, but still a fantastic read. Great perspective to view the world from.
Melvin
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, waiting for more.
Michael
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Germline series represents military-science fiction perfection. I am very sad to have completed it and can only hope TC is working on something new...soon!
Marla
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book, and makes for a good ending in the series of the books.
Renee Marie
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish it was longer!
Josef
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Redundant macho posturing, any argument or conversation could easily be cut 30% without losing any thing.
Rocia
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
War. Earth. Near Future. Dystopia. Genetic advances. Transhuman. I loved this book. I loved the whole series. I wish I could find more books like this. Very interesting and well written.
Bill
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The best of the trilogy.
John Shim
Elliot
Nov 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Arctic Rising
  • Stellarnet Rebel (Stellarnet, #1)
  • Age of Aztec
  • Giant Thief
  • Embedded
  • Faith
  • Hell Ship
  • No Going Back (Jon & Lobo, #5)
  • Sharps
  • The Burning Skies (Autumn Rain #2)
  • Xenopath (Bengal Station, #2)
  • It Began With Ashes (Wroge Elements, #1)
  • Angel of Fire (The Macharian Crusade #1)
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha #3)
  • The Bones of the Old Ones (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #2)
  • Dead Winter
  • The Terminal State (Avery Cates, #4)
  • The Emperor's Gift (Warhammer 40,000)
T.C. McCarthy is an award winning southern author whose short fiction has appeared in Per Contra: The International Journal of the Arts, Literature and Ideas, in Story Quarterly and in Nature. His debut novel, Germline, and its sequel, Exogene are available worldwide and the final book of the trilogy, Chimera, will be released in August 2012. In addition to being an author, T.C. is a PhD scientist ...more

The Subterrene War (3 books)
  • Germline (The Subterrene War #1)
  • Exogene (The Subterrene War, #2)