Start by marking “Star Fish” as Want to Read:
Star Fish

Star Fish

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Tired of looking for love Amy Anderson decides that an astrological dating agency is the only way she is going to meet the man of her dreams. Star Fish follows Amy’s hysterical search for her ‘sole mate’ as she dates her way through the twelve signs of the zodiac. So who will finally woo Amy? Will it be Ted the Arian photographer with a passion for ice skating, or maybe La ...more
Paperback, First, 340 pages
Published February 2nd 2012 by Nowell Publishing (first published December 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Star Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Fish

Amanda
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I have no freaking clue what the heck I just read. It gets 2 stars because it was entertaining (and a big enough train wreck) that I finished it.

I hated Amy. Could not freaking stand the character. She was a drunk, plain and simple. She relied on zodiac signs throughout the entire freaking book and since she is of the fish symbol, referred to herself as a fish in almost the entire book. I get the use of zodiac signs and astrology in books, this was overkill. It got to the point where it was bey
Resa
Feb 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
When I saw this indie book advertised I got very excited. I always try to mix in indie books in pile of to-read reading material and this one seemed just the thing to break up the literature. Amy has struck out in the dating scene in every way imaginable and decides it's time to call in a professional. As an avid reader of horoscopes she chooses Starr and Sun dating agency, one that is perfectly in-tune to her astrological charts, as it sets you up based on star signs. Amy decides she's going to ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love romantic comedies that have a heavy dating element, and the idea of trying to date your way through the twelve signs of the zodiac really amused me, even though I am not sure that I believe in astrological compatibility.

The first thing that struck me about Star Fish, was Amy and her base similarities with myself. We are both pisces, we are both single and had I read this book a month ago we would have been the same age, so I automatically felt an affinity with her.

As a result I thorough
V Family Fun
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got this eBook when it was available as a free download from Amazon. I also read and reviewed Working it Out by the same author.

Straight away I liked Amy and her friends – oh how I love characters who are a little bit crazy! Amy’s cat was also a great part of the book, I loved the idea of having a male cat called Penelope

When Amy joined a dating agency which specialised in setting people up according to their star sign I just knew there would be some laughs ahead. I found myself looking forwa
Kat
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book, interesting characters, my favourite has to be Liv as she was full of joy. I liked Brad and Sean too, Had sad and happy moments. Look forward to Nicola's next book.
June Churchill
Jan 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really don't know why I finished this, I guess the optimist in me thought it could only get better.
It also needs proof reading, I had to reread some sentences to make sense of them.
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved the idea of this book. A woman using a dating agency to date her way through all the signs of the zodiac. Firstly, I thought it was a totally novel idea, not a major fan of star signs myself, but a really good way to narrow down the massive amounts of same old dating profiles out there. Secondly, I am totally on board with any kind of books that revolves around Internet dating or a dating agency, it's a minefield of bad dates out there, if there can be humour found amongst that minefield ...more
Nicki
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Liked the premise with the blind dates, interesting story. I found Amy a bit much - getting streamed at men who did her wrong - meanwhile behaving even worse herself (throwing herself at a married man on his wedding day etc). I didn't really like the way her character behaved and the constant use of the word "minger" grated on me a little.
However, this was a free kindle download, so no real grizzles. This is the third I have read of Nicola May. As a freebie, they are not bad. Light and quick re
Nikki Bywater
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tired of looking and being unlucky in love, thirty-two year old singleton Amy Anderson decides to join a dating agency. Amy’s plan is to go on different dates with men from each sign of the Zodiac. My hopes this will help her to find her soul mate.

What follows are a series of hysterical dates and situations. Can Amy a dreamy Piscean plan find her the man of her dreams?

This is a brilliant book by Nicola May. The book is a real laugh, written in a nice fast witty pace, as we follow Amy on her ques
Abigail
Sep 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-a-big-fan
This book just didn't do it for me. I felt that I was reading a rough first draft that needed some major editing. The author told instead of showing and there were moments where I wasn't sure quite what was going on.

While I flew through the first part of the book, I became bogged down at the end with everything that the author was trying to cram in. In addition, I found the main character to be annoying. Partway through the book I thought she was going to redeem herself and grow as a character
Leigh Mitchell
It's a good enough story, with nice short chapters so you can squeeze in "just one more" without feeling like you need to stop mid chapter to sleep or whatever. However, it could benefit from a proof-reader - there was one instance where it switched from first to third person, and a couple of times a "sole-mate" was referred to instead of a "soul-mate".

Overall, it was an entertaining read with a couple of giggles, but I had to deduct a star for the poor grammar.
Esmeralda
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This bit of Brit Chick Lit should appeal to Bridget Jones fans. Amy is about to turn 33 and she still hasn't found her soul mate. She decides to apply to a dating service. This particular dating service matches people by astrological signs and Amy is hoping to find someone compatible with Pisces. She finds an array of mama's boys, religious fanatics, and scammers. This book has some funny parts and anyone who has experienced the dating game should be able to relate to it.
Maureen Vincent-Northam
Piscean Amy sets out to date a man from each of the twelve zodiac signs when she joins a dating agency. She meets far more Mr Wrongs than Mr Rights but there are many fun moments for the reader along the way.

I didn’t always agree with Amy’s choices and of all the book’s characters, my favourite was Brad, her gay friend, who was one of the two genuine men in her life.

If you like chick lit, you’ll enjoy this one. 3.5 stars.
Heather
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This was just OK for me. It took me awhile to gt used to the British words and language that was used. I did like the basis of the book but the characters just weren't doing it for me. I couldn't connect to any of them like I should have. Maybe this was just me though. I was thinking of giving it another go around and maybe I can like it better. Overall, it isn't bad!
Amanda
Oct 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I tried desperately to read this book and like it, but I failed. I received it for free on amazon, so I can't complain too much, but it was so bad I couldn't even finish it. I feel as though it had potential, but the author seems to be an immature writer and if you told me a teenager wrote it, I'd believe you. I think with some editing, it could be good. The premise is cute. Oh well.
Suzanne
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
This was a fast read as most Chick Lit books. I was a little annoyed by the main character...maybe cause we're not the same star sign? lol Not happy with the ending, and that's why I gave it 3 stars.
Emily
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This was a light, funny read. I literally made me laugh out loud. It did remind me of Bridget Jones Diary and sometimes I didn't understand the British slang terms, but it was funny. I also didn't care for the ending.
Erin
Sep 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I did not like this book at all.
Kelley
Dec 04, 2012 marked it as couldn-t-finish-it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, my-e-books
Ugh, this book was boring. I kept getting easily distracted. Life's too short to suffer boring books. Moving on...
Louise
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable book about a single girl joining a dating agency. It got me through some sleepless nights.
Brenda
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought this book was disjointed at times. I was very disappointed in who she ended up with.
Melindeeloo
I don't really know what to say about this one, the idea was interesting -with the 12 dates - but lots of alcohol inspired bad hormone inspired decisions occur.
Amanda Sayer
An ok story, made me giggle in some places. However it was very predictable and didn't have a great ending.
Dania
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Brad and Jed's characters. As a Piscean, I see a lot of myself in the main characters. Crazy how relatable it is. Cute book and original idea: as a fanatic I've been waiting forever for this!
Kirstie
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Cackled out loud! Got told of several times by my husband for laughing too much!
Elle Field
Sep 08, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
Did not finish.
Chloe
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Unsure if this is a 4 or 3.5 star read...
Emma
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
this book was very different to the other books I had read by this author however I found that I really enjoyed it none the less I found myself willing to get with the right person.
Joanna
Very entertaining. Loved the Star sign angle and how she tried to go on a dating site based on Astrology.
Michelle Grayce
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It had me laughing so much at some of the dates Amy went on. All the characters I thought went well together. Still unsure of her giving Will a second chance.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Picture Imperfect
  • Conflicts of the Heart
  • Confessions of a Cake Addict
  • Plan on It
  • Dead End Job (Louisa Hallstrom, #1)
  • Sleeping Tigers
  • Out on a Limb
  • Kissed in Paris (A Paris Romance)
  • Crazy Love (Looking for Love, #2)
  • The Boyfriend Bylaws
Hello, I'm Nicola May, author of romantic comedy.

I look forward to sharing my heartfelt and fun books with you.

For further information on me, my books and to read reviews please do go to www.nicolamay.com.

Happy Reading!