Start by marking “Creation” as Want to Read:
Creation

Creation

Creation is a provocative exploration of what it means to be free. Set in a dystopian future, several creative-minded individuals remind us all to never take for granted the product of our own work and imagination. Creation is inspired by Ayn Rand's Anthem and Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.
Published November 27th 2012 by Tarsier Publishing (first published March 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Creation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creation

David Estes
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-dystopian
Wow! This is a short book, a novella, but it's 100 pages or so are breathtakingly beautiful. Personally, I'd put it in the same category as dystopian classic, The Giver, which has a similar message and feel to it. The writing was REALLY strong, the right combination of simplicity and artistry, and the only reason I wavered between 4 and 5 stars was that, due to the shortness of the novella, the world couldn't be developed more. The concepts and plotlines could easily be extended into a full leng ...more
Eustacia Tan
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If, as an artist, you were placed in a society without money, with all your needs provided, and told to create, what would you think? I think most of those who feel the need to dance, to write, to sing, to draw would love this. But anything can be twisted, and it's this world of forced creation that Creation draws us into.

In Creation, all the creators (the writers, dancers, painters, etc) live in a seemingly ideal society where their only focus is on creating new works. But it's not as it seems
Brittany
I won this book for free from the Goodread's First Reads giveaway.

"Creation" is a short book (about 100 pages) and is alluring from the beginning until the end. I find it very rare to find a story as unique as this one. The author did an amazing job with the plot and the characters.

I find this review a little hard to give without giving away the plot of the book; I do not want to spoil it for anyone. All I can really say is I love it and I recommend it for everyone! Such an intriguing book!
Jessie
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
To be honest, I didn't like this book. It was hard to read because the sentences didn't flow smoothly. I felt like I was stuck sometimes. Towards the end, I began shortening phrases to make the reading more smooth. The sentence formation took a lot away from the story.

I also felt that there wasn't a well-formed antagonist in this story to make it more interesting. There was vague references to the government but that was it.

This book left a lot to be desired.
☆Joycedale☆
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, picked-for-me
The first half of this book is so confusing, it wasn't until about 60% that the pieces started clicking together. I understand that with the amount of pages there really wasn't room for the world building but I wish I understood more.
This could certainly be turned into a novel and a great one at that. The writing was excellent.

This review can also be found on my page The Fiction Fanatics
Ashley
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Creation is a fantastic, absorbing novella that I will be recommending to readers and non-readers alike. It's an intriguing, page-turning story, with no room for dull moments. I'm hungry for more!
Rita
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads First Readers giveaway. I liked the way this author wrote this book. It was short and to the point. This book really makes you think about how to great it is to live in a time and place where we are able to choose our own paths and create as we wish.
Annika Paterson
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first few pages of this book are confusing. Give it a chance and you will not be disappointed! Very interesting!
Majanka
Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

Actual rating: 4,5 stars

I started reading Creation thinking nothing much about it. The blurb didn’t say much, so I had zero expectations. Turns out this book was a pleasant surprise. It’s a very short read, at only 42 pages in .pdf format, but it’s a thought-provoking, provocative story that explores boundaries of freedom and creation, and dares to explain what it means to truly be free. The story is set in a dystopian fut
Jeanne Izzy
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was originally posted on my blog

This book, while really short, was amazing. I don't usually read like far-end dystopias such as this (very in line with The Giver and such) but this novella really took the reader into the story.

The first part is confusing, throwing the reader right into the middle of the story. I guess it's pretty common in books lately, especially books set in either fantasy lands or dytsopias. But once you get the gist of the background and the characters it becomes cleare
Rachel Brune
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book prior to doing an interview with the author on my blog, and was heartily dismayed when my Kindle ran out of battery at 83% of the way. Came straight home and plugged that sucker in and immediately started reading again. Kat Mellon has built an incredible world that is both an on-the-surface dystopian adventure, as well as a thoughtful commentary on what it means to be a writer and a creator. The prose is polished and extraordinary. The only gripe I had was the giant d ...more
Alison
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian, reviewed
Prosecution:
None!

Defense:
Short, sweet, and to the point. Creation had notes of Ayn Rands' Anthem and Lois Lowrys' The Giver, with its own special twist. The idea of housing all of the "creative" people together under one house and using their creations to better the rest of society did have a Utopian feeling but was a little eery.

To read my verdict, please go to From Bows to Books..♥
Skye Hegyes
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This novella was not my usual cup of tea, but I still liked it. The world Kat created, a society in which the people didn’t know about anything outside Creation, is simple in all its complexity. She successfully creates a world where people work to create every piece of literature, every painting, every sheet of music that the outside enjoys. This piece has the feel of dystopia that I think most readers might enjoy.
Anna Tan
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to review this book, because to write about what the core of what the book meant to me would be to reveal the ending and be extremely spoilerish. And you wouldn't want that with this book, seriously.

I was fascinated with the world Mellon created, the sense of the surreal in her writing and the way it makes you look at the world with fresh new eyes - a little Pratchett-ish in that sense, only not in a humourous way.

It's beautiful prose. *tears*
Freefallen ~ YA Reviewer
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Never Let Me Go
I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC of this book. I won't spoil anything, but...
This is amazing.
Creation is an inspiring read, and leaves you with that happy, satisfied feeling that only few books can offer. I love, love this!
Heather
Jun 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure what that was....it was an interesting premise, but way too short and undeveloped. I feel so disappointed.
Denise
  • Fetish Sex: A Complete Guide to Sexual Fetishes
  • Frozen Heart
  • Buzz Books 2012
  • Voluntary
  • Sliding Void (Sliding Void, #1)
  • The Shriver Report: A Woman’s Nation Pushes Back from the Brink
  • The Water Thief
  • Larkstorm (The Sensitives, #1)
  • Darklandia
  • Among the Righteous: Lost Stories from the Holocaust's Long Reach Into Arab Lands
  • Shymers (Shymers #1)
  • Paradise: A Divine Comedy
  • The Music Book
  • Pipe Dreams
  • Thomas Clayton
  • Tore: Divided Love (Torn Love, #2)
  • Glistening Haven