Start by marking “Espionage” as Want to Read:
Espionage

Espionage (Espionage #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
France, 1944: Nobody expects Peter Eddy to survive his first commando mission—to retrieve a code book stolen by the Nazis—so when he does come back alive, his success is rewarded with an even more daunting assignment. Partnered with French Resistance leader Jacques Olivier, Eddy must identify which of three Allied contacts in Calais is a double agent and use the traitor to ...more
Published March 2012 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Espionage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Espionage

A.L. Sowards
I love this book, so I'm giving it five stars.
Paul
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A good novel about a young America sent to Calais in May 1944 to convince a mole in the French Resistance that the expected Allied invasion would come there and not to Normandy (about 200 km west). Along the way, he works with a young French widower (who believes himself beyond redemption because of the enjoyment he has taken in killing Nazis) and his young sister, and he finds more adventure, friendship, and romance than he bargained for!

The best part of the book is that the author clearly know
Damien Malcolm
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and exciting read. Incredibly well researched, great charater development and thrilling plot line. Top read.
Julie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwii, listened
This is a nice, quick read! Plenty of action, interesting plot line, and clean. I loved the LDS take on a WWII spy novel. The circumstances are no different than any other WWII drama, but this novel is hopeful and upbeat. I liked that.
Emily Anderson
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel! The characters were incredibly life-like. I am excited for future work from this author!
Alyse
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this series so much!!!!! The characters were wonderful, and the plot was thrilling! It also loved how it gave us a look into French Resistance and Calais!!!
Lexie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love World War II novels (which is sort of ironic because I have a really hard time watching World War II movies!) I enjoy reading historical fiction and learning about different people and eras. And World War II is especially fascinating to me partly because I have a personal connection to it (as most of us probably do) since both of my grandfathers fought in this war. And partly because this war had a major impact on our country and the world as a whole.

Because Espionage is a World War II n
Julie
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've been reading a lot of historicals lately so I jumped at the chance to be read Espionage. (Isn't that a creepy looking cover? The eye is so weird and, well, creepy.)

We are quickly introduced to Peter Eddy who is on his first covert ops mission in 1944 France. He's crossing enemy lines, trying to steal back a code book from the Nazis that they've stolen and could compromise Allied agents. The mission quickly goes bad and Peter's wholesome Idaho upbringing is severely tested.

We are also intro
Rachel
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for www.compassbookratings.com

Espionage by A.L. Sowards is an exciting spy thriller set during World War II. Fast-paced and engaging, readers will find themselves enthralled with the underground Allied spy effort and their dangerous missions into Nazi-occupied territory. First-time author Sowards writes with authenticity and expertise, combining a great amount of fact with fiction.

Besides the Bond-esque action, Espionage has heart. The main characters are realistic, yet likable and easy
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
First off, I'm so happy to be a part of this blog tour! My thanks to Lexi over at The Book Bug for putting it together and allowing me to participate. Also, a thanks to A.L. Sowards who actually sent me a signed copy of the book to review along with a thank you note. How nice is that?

Second, before I get to my review, I just have to say something about this cover. It's good, right? A bit unnerving. The longer I look at it the more I feel like I have to look away. It sort of gives me shivers. It'
Jamie Hansen
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am probably being too harsh, but when I honestly assess my experience, for much of this book I didn't really like it; so I'm going to settle with the "it's okay" rating. Although it claims to be a WWII novel, it felt like that was a distant backdrop to the more central plot line of a group of not-so-interesting characters. Whenever the war took center stage more, whether it was through the introduction of Gestapo agents or, some French resistance effort, it felt overly sensationalized, like so ...more
Katie W
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
My grandfather fought in WWII and didn't like to talk about it much until the last few years of his life. Even then, it's so hard to imagine the horrors and situations that people went through during this time. I really enjoyed reading this book that took me on a journey that was not what I was expecting. It brought up issues that I hadn't really thought about.

Peter Eddy is a small town kid from Idaho, of all places and he's a member of the LDS church. Jacques and Genevieve are from France and a
Kaitlin
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
To be honest I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. On one hand I feel like it was well written. There were some intense moments when I saw no way they could possibly escape the predicaments they found themselves in. While on the other hand I could never fully get into the story. Rather than the quick read I expected it to be I found myself stumbling along. I love history and especially WWII stories and that is what drew me to this series. I really liked Peter and Genevieve as character ...more
Kathryn
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love historical fiction books with the fictional romance mixed in. This book is very similar to Sandra Grey's books about WW2. This one has a male spy though. Peter Eddy,a farm boy from Idaho, enlists after his older brother is killed at Pearl Harbor. It is 1944 and his first assignment is in Italy until he is injured when a bomb goes off while he is in a tank. After recovering he is asked to go on a solo mission into France to retrieve the Allies agent undercover list not knowing that he is a ...more
Lin Ryals
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was sitting here trying to think of what to write that would really portray how awesome this book was. As I was thinking I stared at the cover of the book. The more I stared at it, the creepier it got. The man on the front just glares back at me. I had to turn it over. LOL! :) You try staring at it and see how long you last. ;) Anyways... moving on from the cover (which is totally perfect for the book), my favorite way to learn history is by reading historical fiction. I love becoming part of ...more
David
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
An engaging read with good details on the time and area. The characters had excellent depth, particularly considering the quick pace and tension of the story. The book falls into the LDS fiction genre, meaning the book is pretty safe in terms of things like swearing, sex, and descriptions of violence. Even so, there is significant action and the reader will be concerned for the characters' safety throughout.

I enjoyed the twists of the plot though they are fairly obvious. The story makes sense a
GymGuy
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: wwii, espionage
A interesting story, but very much for the young reader: highly sanitized and watered down. It has a Mormon "backlight" which is not overbearing, but I found unnecessary...unless you are purposely aiming for the LDS audience which, again I find unnecessary: just tell a story.

It drove me CRAZY reading German nouns that weren't capitalized, i.e., hauptmann instead of Hauptmann. I understand it's an English text, but for those who read and speak German, it's really, really irritating.

As for the ad
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
It's amazing to me that this is the author's first published book. The book had a solid plot and story line.

Peter is a young man in the US military during WWII. He enlisted in anger because his brother was killed at Pearl Harbor. He quickly discovers that war is not what he imagined.

Peter is sent on a mission behind enemy lines in France. He is to discover who is a double agent and feed false information to the German's. He meets Jaques and his beautiful sister. Jacques is his partner in the mi
Charissa
Great WWII book. The plot centers around an American spy--Peter Eddy--sent into France to deceive the Germans into thinking the Allied invasion will come at a different beach and time than they suspect (planting false information for them to act on and ferreting out the double agent in Calais). The timing is short (not drawn out like some WWII books), the action is mostly centered in the small town of Calais, and the characters (Peter, resistance fighter Jacques Olivier and his sister, Genevieve ...more
Ashley
I won this book in a goodreads- first reads giveaway.

This book was amazing!!! It starts off with a bang- Peter Eddy's first spy mission into occupied Europe during World War II. From there is keeps going and going. Most of the book takes place during one week, in Calis where he is on his second espionage mission with the help of a man name Jaques and his sister Guineve. This book is not at all what I expected, but even better. It is an easy to follow book, historically related, and mixed in with
Andrea
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I first heard about Espionage last year during a blog tour. I was able to read a few sample chapters at that time, and was immediately drawn into the WWII action. I was excited to finally get my hands on a copy of the book. The story is pretty intense, and I really liked the characters. I was saddened by the idea that military leaders send their guys into certain situations not expecting them to survive. Using them as decoys or whatever may be very important for an overall goal, but it just seem ...more
Lela
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read my fair share of books over the years, and I have always loved spy thrillers. This book had all the elements of my favorite spy thrillers, but also a freshness that I haven't seen before. I can tell that the author did a lot of research into the era and that it was historically accurate. The characters were well developed and interesting. I got really involved in their lives, because I felt like I got to know them through the book. I like that the ending of the book is not a cliffhange ...more
Natalie Grange
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I usually avoid LDS fiction, but this book was a gift and I wanted to make sure to honor the givers recommendation. I gave it a shot and ended up being pleasantly surprised as the story unfolded. It was a good mix of historical fiction, without being too preachy. The story was clear and concise. It was easy to follow and I felt myself liking the characters.
It's a good relaxing read, which made me ponder my grandfather and uncles that served in WWII and the many people whose lives were altered b
Bethany
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I was leery because it's an LDS fiction book and I automatically put it into the "cheesy" category when my mom gave it to me a year ago. I ran out of books to read, didn't have any more money to spend on new books....so, I thought I'd give this one a chance and I'm SO glad I did. I really enjoyed it and am THRILLED to find out there is a sequel because it left me wanting more. I was pleasantly surprised!!! I ADORE historical fiction so there was an added bonus there. Looking forward ...more
Shelly
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A delightful read. Clean, charming, and engaging. It was wonderful to read a book that had plot, history, intrigue, a bit of romance and no offensive language. I enjoyed the charactors and found myself engaged with them. Thanks Soward! The perfect "curl up with a blanket and a good book" read. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Nikki
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the actual war parts. Sometimes a war book with a romance is like 80% romance, 10% impossible plot, and 10% actual historically-based fighting. This is so so so the opposite. 80% of the time I was on the edge of my seat wondering how the heck real life could have really happened like that. Sad, yes. But interesting and informative at the same time. Definitely a page-turner.
Brooke
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book was an excellent read. For a first book by the author, it was very well done. She understands World War II history very well and weavers it into her story. The characters are very believable and very well thought out. Sowards has created characters that can definitely be built on for future books. She has a chance to become a writer that people will be anxious to get her next book.
Elizabeth
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was really enjoyable and exciting. Spies, romance and intrigue. There's even a little religion thrown in since our main character is a Mormon. I thought it was nicely done and very interesting. I loved all the main characters and its been awhile since I've read a book where I liked all the main characters.
Camille
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great read!! It kept me on my toes with high tension and adventure. Nearing the end I did find myself wondering what more could possibly go wrong, as it seemed that everything was. I like that the author put a lot of research into WW II and that the events and many of the higher up general were factual. Very good read.
Andrea Smith
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
The writing was a little stiff and some parts lacked tension but it really picked up in the second half and I ended up liking the characters and enjoying the book. The LDS aspect of it seemed more natural and didn't bother me like some other LDS novels do. Not flawless, but worth reading. I liked it.
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Deadly Undertakings
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • Code Word (Saint Squad, #6)
  • All the Stars in Heaven
  • Shadowed
  • Paige (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Daughters of Jared
  • Dark Sky at Dawn
  • If I Should Die
  • Whisper Hollow
  • Heart's Journey
  • Double Play
  • Belonging to Heaven
  • Twitterpated
I love books, so that makes Goodreads my favorite social media site. As a reader, I enjoy a variety of books. As a writer, I create historical novels with a wholesome mix of action, adventure, and romance. My novels include a Whitney Award winner and several Whitney finalists.

I grew up in Washington State, then came to Utah to attend BYU. I’m still in Utah, where I live with my husband, three chil
More about A.L. Sowards

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things