Jump to ratings and reviews

The River #2

Clear As Day

What's a girl to do when her summer lover wants forever?
Haunted by dark memories of her parents' volatile marriage, artist Kay Browning keeps her heart locked behind a free-spirit facade and contents herself with the comfortable affair she has every summer with easygoing photographer Nate Quinn.
The only trouble with her plan? This summer Nate's come to Lake Mohave to claim the lover he can't let go. He's done with the endless traveling and settling for temporary homes and temporary loves. Kay's always been more than just a vacation fling, and now he must convince this woman, who sees love as a course to certain heartbreak, to take that leap of faith and learn how safe love with the right man can be.

276 pages, Paperback

First published April 4, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Babette James

13 books97 followers
Author of sweetly scorching romance, a reader, and a lover of morning coffee. She lives in New Jersey with her wonderfully patient husband and extremely spoiled cats. A teacher, she loves encouraging new readers and writers as they discover their growing abilities. Her class cheers when it’s time for their spelling test! When not dreaming up stories, she enjoys playing with new bread recipes and dabbling with paints.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (6%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews
Profile Image for Tabby -  Shattered Hearts Reviews.
193 reviews70 followers
May 7, 2012
Original Review Posted @Insightful Minds

I loved this book for many, many reasons. The main reason being that for once it was the guy in the relationship that wanted to step things up and take it to the next level. Kudos to Nate.

Here you have Kay. Sweet, lovely, scared to death of any kind of change, Kay. She is so used to having complete and total control over everything in her life, that she literally doesn't know how to handle things when Nate tries to step up their relationship to the next level.

Poor Nate. For years the the two of them get together with friends at the beach every summer and each summer, the love connection with the two of them grows even stronger. What do you expect after not seeing someone for an entire year? Finally able to support his decision mentally as well as financially, Nate is ready to step things up. He's tired of the random emails, phone calls, post cards and few weeks every summer. He wants something more... stable. I mean come on! He bought a HOUSE for crying out loud! So when he ask Kay to marry him - her reaction is not one that he expected!

I loved not only the love story this book offered, but the dynamic of the side characters as well. I don't think the friends they surrounded themselves with in this book could have been written in any better! I would love to see some future books on some of the others from this story! They were mighty interesting! I also fell in love with the emotional roller coaster this book took me on. While the entire story takes place over one summer, it is packed with enough intrigue to keep those pages turning!
Profile Image for Allyson.
167 reviews27 followers
July 19, 2012
I was lucky enough to win this book during a blog hop. It was a great read. Kay and Nate's romance was moving and I was pulling so hard for them! But there were times I wanted to shake Kay! I can't wait to read more by Babette James! Clear As Day is a great summer read!
Profile Image for Christi Snow.
Author 62 books744 followers
April 26, 2012
My Review:

What an interesting book. This book delves deeper than a normal romance novel usually does and I think the reason for that is the wonderful complexity of the heroine in this book, Kay. Honestly, Kay is messed up when it comes to relationships. Never in her life has she been able to observe a happy healthy marriage and that fact has left deep emotional scars on her.

For six years, Kay has been meeting up with Nate (and a whole group of their friends) for two weeks of the summer in the high desert. Those two weeks are the best of her year. They don't see each other the rest of the time, although they do keep in touch year-round. They've always had a friends-with-benefits relationship during those two weeks and Kay is happy with that. This year, Nate is not satisfied. He wants more.

Nate is a photographer and has spent the last eleven years traveling the world on photography assignments. Finally he is in a place both mentally and financially that he's ready to settle down. He wants Kay to settle down with him...which sends her into a huge tailspin.

Kay likes to control each and every aspect of her life...to the point that she's OCD. She doesn't deal with change well and Nate wanting to change the parameters of their relationship is HUGE change. I'll be honest... at times, reading about her neurosis and horrible indecision got to be a bit much in this book. But at her heart, Kay is simply scared. Scared of trusting her heart to anyone, although even she admits if there is ever a man she would trust forever with, it would be Nate. She just has such a hard time taking that final step to say "Yes" and "I love you."

On the other hand, there's Nate. He knew going into this that Kay wasn't an easy woman to love and that she was going to take patience. The man has the patience of a saint. He's sweet, patient, sexy, a sex-god, and he sees the true Kay although he has no idea what the reasons behind her hang-ups are. I really just loved his character. He's the nice guy that every girl wants to meet.

The entire book takes place in a campground on a lake with a whole group of Kay and Nate's friends. I liked the group dynamic and what they added to the story. I need to check Babette James' book list because I think there may be a previous book about one of the couples and this book definitely could set up for a follow-up book for a couple of the other characters.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read. I liked the setting and most of the characters. There's enough mystery about Kay's issues that you want to keep reading just to find out the full extent of her history and why it's affected her so harshly. For me, the highlight of the story was Nate's wonderful character and the hijinks on the lake and camping. This is a fun group and it was enjoyable to read about their vacation.
Profile Image for Maria Rose.
2,453 reviews241 followers
November 20, 2015
This delightful romance is the story of Kay and Nate. Lovers when they meet up for 2 weeks every summer, Nate wants them to pursue a real relationship, something Kay fears after witnessing the demise of her parent's marriage. Can she let go of the past and let Nate give her the future she deserves?

I loved this story! From the start the premise is quite unique for a full length novel that is first in a series - the two main characters are already lovers. Meeting while camping with friends they slip into a sexual relationship easily but one that is defined by the time constraints of their summer vacation. They keep in touch throughout the year with email and phone calls but this isn't enough for Nate anymore. Nate is such a wonderful hero! Charming, friendly, attractive, tender - he treats Kay with respect and obviously adores her even if she doesn't want to see it. He is mature enough to realize that Kay is the one he wants in his life all the time, and is willing to make the changes that this requires in order to settle down with her. I also really enjoyed Kay's character. She is strong and independent, used to being alone and though she is tempted by Nate's offer of more, she fears that any change in their relationship status will mean that she will lose what she already has with him. Nate's willingness to hide the depth of his feelings for her in front of their friends is a testament to how much he cares for Kay and her requests of him. Sometimes it was frustrating that she couldn't see that Nate loved her so much he would do anything to make her feel safe. Aah, but that was what made the book so riveting! I didn't want to put it down in my quest to see how the relationship would turn out in the end.

There were several sexy time scenes in this book, all sweet, tender but with real passion and emotion between Kay and Nate. I would put this borderline as an erotic romance with the number of love scenes but they were very well written and conveyed the depth of feeling between the main characters, even if Kay didn't want to admit how deep her feelings for Nate really were. The secondary characters were equally delightful, all fun, engaging and adding to the dynamics and humour of the story. What a delightful group of friends to have!

The overall tone of the story is one of love and passion, of forgiveness and tenderness. The story was engaging from the very first page and had all the elements one hopes to find in a contemporary romance. I am very much looking forward to more books in the series with this group of friends. 5 heartwarming stars!
Profile Image for Cocktails and Books.
4,064 reviews314 followers
May 4, 2012
For the past six years, Nate and Kay spend two week camping at Lake Mohave with their friends. They've never put a label on their relationship, but it's understood that during those two weeks they would be lovers. This arrangement suited Kay, because she has been emotionally scarred to love and marriage by what she's seen in her family. But when Nate suddenly shows up and proposes to Kay, it sends her world into a tailspin. Can she trust that Nate is who she believes him to be or will the demon from her past cause her to push away the one man who holds her heart?

This was a tough book to read, basically because of Kay. She claimed to love her solitary life, but when it looked like she was going to be spending her two weeks in Lake Mohave by herself, she began missing her friends, especially Nate. When Nate did appear, she crushed her happy feelings down to try and keep herself from feeling more for Nate than she was willing to. For Kay, she couldn't trust in her own feelings towards someone or theirs for her. She questioned everything and kept measuring Nate's actions and feelings against what she witnessed as a child. Was it fair to Nate? Absolutely not. Did Kay know what she was doing? Yes, but she was too afraid to trust in herself and Nate that she let those insecurities push him away.

Nate wasn't without fault for the situation he and Kay found themselves in. After he promised Kay he was done traveling and wanted to set down roots, he pulled the rug out from underneath her saying he was going to go on another shoot thousands of miles away. More importantly, he never stopped to talk to Kay, a woman who was wearing is engagement ring...answer given or not, to discuss the opportunity with her. Despite not knowing about Kay's family and her insecurities, he played right into all the reasons why she couldn't accept his proposal.

While it was tough to read, the emotion was real. Babette James did an excellent job of being able to display, in words, all those little insecurities each of us has that makes us questions some of the biggest decisions of our lives. While you read Kay's indecision and the amount of stress she went through trying to decide what do, you felt her emotions and her stress and connected with her. It was tough, but also gave you hope that Kay would ultimately be able to stop judging Nate by her past and look forward to her future.
Profile Image for Autumn Review.
1,021 reviews510 followers
May 16, 2012
My Summary:
Artist Kay Browning and photographer Nate Quinn have had a casual summer romance going for the last six years. Every July Nate sails into Lake Mohave and they have a great time together, no strings attached. So when Nate rolls in this time, he has a plan in place to win Kay's heart forever. He's tired of all the traveling and wants to settle down with the woman he loves. The problem with this plan is that Kay's family life was less than stellar, so she has fears about marriage. Nate tries to prove that his love is true and that he will love her forever. It's up to Kay to let down her barriers and let herself love and be loved.

My Take:
Let me start by saying that I saw this book and based on the cover and blurb, it sounded like a great contemporary romance. Exactly just what I look for when I need a good love story. What I wasn't prepared for, was the high steam level of the romance. I mean...my jaw dropped within the first few chapters! It was such a pleasant and welcome surprise.

I really liked both lead characters and could actually identify with them both in different ways. Kay had some pretty serious family issues growing up that can be difficult to move past. They not only skewed her perception of love, but scarred her as well. Nate came from a well-rounded, happy family. So, when he tells Kay he loves her, he expects that she will believe what he's saying. He is also confused by Kay not being able to share her feelings with him. How frustrating, but they've never really talked about her past or her family, so he didn't understand. I'm happy that he was persistent in his efforts to convince her of the future they could have together. It definitely paid off in the end.

Other noteworthy mentions are: the supporting cast was very likable, with exception of a few and I loved the setting of the story. I love any story based on or near water. I actually went online to look at pictures of that area, because it sounded so pretty. Living in Florida and even growing up on one of the Great Lakes I appreciate the beauty of water, but a desert lake sounds intriguing, different, and serene. Nice back drop for the story.

My final thoughts are if you are looking for well written story that has just the right balance of sexy, love, and romance, this is a great story for you. As we head into summer, I always like having a great romance to read by the pool or the beach and this book definitely fits that criteria well.
Profile Image for L.E.Olteano  .
514 reviews67 followers
September 18, 2012
Had a great time reading this!

Let me tell you, as a PNR reader I find I'll find contemporary romance to have a harder job of hooking me. To really get under my skin the characters need to be either very conflicted or seriously charming, and in this case they proved to be both.

The story features two really charismatic characters in the main couple, Kay and Nate. While Kay is the troubled, tormented, conflicted sort of artist who loves being independent and traveling, Nate is the proverbial good guy who likes to travel and is a photographer. The fact that they'd hook up for the summer for years was really awesome to read, like summer love that annually comes back to you, you're lovers and yet not quite. It's like rediscovering your lover each year, and having them around for that short period that makes everything boiling hot without the aftermath of colliding with day to day routine.

The plot was really interesting to follow, especially Kay's reactions to Nate's generous affection and their whole interaction, it was a treat to stalk them :D I will admit I also very much so loved the other characters, I mean I want to know what's going on with Olivia and Dave. I demand a novel be written about their story! :D I got really curious about these guys.

I loved the writing and the way the author set up the scenes, both the one on one ones (be warned, this is an adult read, not graphic but adult in the one on one action) and the awkward moments, the busy scenes and the tranquil ones. Without really describing much I had constantly a clear image of everything going on in every scene, and it takes a great hand to strike that delicate balance between not clogging your readers with description and leaving them confused because there is none. Babette James struck that delicate balance, building a beautiful and clear view, all airy and light.

If you like contemporary adult romance, then I say you should totally read this. If you like fishing and lake-vacation activities too, you totally should. Had a lot fun with this read.

Butterfly-o-Meter Books
Profile Image for Shirley Hailstock.
Author 96 books123 followers
Read
December 7, 2012
Babette James makes an impressive debut with her novel CLEAR AS DAY. Kay Browning’s same time next year lover of six years returns to Lake Mohave for their summer together. Only this time Nate Quinn has decided to end his years of world traveling and put down roots in one place. He’s fallen in love with Kay and wants her to be part of his master plan.

Convincing Kay proves difficult. Even while wearing Nate’s ring, she’s reluctant to fall in step. Witnessing strife in marriages, including her parents’ unstable relationship, she’s resigned to never entering the state herself. And it doesn’t help that a couple of her married friends constantly bicker and argue in her presence.

Babette James gives us an exciting romance in CLEAR AS DAY. It will touch the heart of all those who have had a summer love and wondered what would have happened if they had pursued that timeline. So jump into the pages and stay around for Kay’s decision as the fog lifts and everything is CLEAR AS DAY.

Profile Image for Jo.
172 reviews69 followers
June 3, 2012
I hate writing reviews when I don’t have anything different to say from the many other reviewers. I feel like I would just be writing a dull and wordy equivalent of “book good please read”.

Kay and Nate dynamics in Clear as Day was a really great story but after reading hundreds of books with one too many zany/fun side characters I now realize how jaded I have become you can almost see the sequels coming and it just takes me right out of the story.

Clear as Day is different, Ms. James besides writing an involving tale between the two main characters also had me thinking about the lives of some of Nate and Kay’s friends and what will happen in their future. So now of course I want the sequel.

At my age I have lost any real patience I had and I really hate reading books when I feel the story is not complete but good authors leave you yearning for more.

Read Clear as Day – trust me it pays off in the end.
Profile Image for Nancy.
Author 12 books72 followers
February 8, 2016
Clear As Day by Babette James - A good 4 stars

Can Kay open her heart and eventually trust that Nate really does mean it when he says that he loves her? That question takes centre stage and keeps the reader guessing right till the very end. People do have flaws and wearing blinkers is something that Kay is very good at. Babette James paints a very clear picture of a tortured woman who has immense trouble in getting a healthy balance between the failed relationships she sees around her and those that are lasting and true. Babette James makes it very easy to empathise with Nate, who is patience through and through…and yet he has some culpability for the tortured situation they find themselves in. The secondary characters play a very strong role in this very likeable novel.

Profile Image for Anita.
280 reviews16 followers
September 28, 2015
This was a nice easy and fast read. I got highly annoyed with Kay and her inability to let Nate in. She's ruled by her past, witnessing her parents disastrous marriage and her sister's relationship with an abusive husband. Poor Nate, after years of loving her, figured he would get his girl this summer. Boy is he in for a fight. I didn't like how he just bought a house in another state and didn't bother asking Kay, since he wants to marry her. Shouldn't she have had a say in the manner....in the end it all works out. Dave and Olivia's story will be interesting.

"I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.”
Profile Image for E.
69 reviews
May 24, 2012
Overcoming fears and believing in love.
Great story. Must read!(:
Profile Image for Isha Coleman.
6,784 reviews130 followers
August 26, 2015
CLEAR AS DAY BY BABETTE JAMES IS OUT NOW!
READ AND REVIEW

CLEAR AS DAY BY BABETTE JAMES

SYNOPSIS

Come fall in love at the river with this sexy contemporary romance series
What's a girl to do when her summer lover wants forever?

Recommended for those who like

Sexy, Contemporary Romance Series
Heroes With Heart
Friends-to-Lovers Stories
Steamy Summer Romance
Self-Sufficient Heroines
Camping and Fishing Vacations
Beach Reads
Fun in the sun

Be sure to check out the other books in the series

Summertime Dream (Book 1 - Christopher & Margie)
Love Burns (Book 3 - Dave & Olivia)

BUY LINKS

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Clear-As-Day-Ri...

Barnes and Noble:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/clear...

Google Play Books: https://play.google.com/store/books/d...
_Clear_As_Day?id=Z_fhAgAAQBAJ&hl=en

Ibooks:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/clea...

Kobo:  https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...

REVIEW:  CLEAR AS DAY BY BABETTE JAMES

Clear As Day by Babette JamesMy rating: 5 of 5 starsKay's emotions run deep. Dealing with past hurts and self-doubt is not easy for her. She hides these feelings behind her creative spirit and a care free attitude. Photographer Nate has become tired of the life of wandering from place to place. Craving a life outside of his career, he longs for a place to call home. He also wants someone to share his life with. NOT JUST ANYONE, HE WANTS KAY! Nate and Kay have an understanding of keeping the relationship simple with no expectations. Nate wants more. Will he be able to convince Kay that they deserve a chance? I received a copy of Clear as Day by Babette James in exchange for an honest review. As always Ms. James has written a story with deep emotional meaning. Her stories are gripping and will have you coming back for more.View all my reviews
Profile Image for Germaine.
158 reviews2 followers
January 19, 2013
I really wanted to like this book. I'm interested in art and artists, and I'm an avid amateur photographer, so the H/h pairing really caught my interest. The book started to go off the tracks for me when I found out that the H/h relationship consists of two weeks every year spent camping at Lake Mojave. During those two weeks H/h have super, no-strings sex, after which they part for another year. Now, H has decided that he wants to settle down. Without discussing his plans, he buys a house in Oregon (h lives and works in Arizona) and plans for the two of them to get married and live in it. Not surprisingly, h doesn't jump at the offer to leave everything behind and move to Oregon. Not only that, h has been turned off of marriage by her parents' disastrous relationship. When H finally pries the gory details out of h, I didn't think they were that bad. They certainly weren't good, but h was old enough that she should have been able to come to terms with them, learn from her parents' mistakes, stop whining, and move on. I felt like telling her to "grow-up".

Another "gripe" with the books was that H/h and their friends are camping out at Lake Mojave in July. As far as I could tell, there was no air conditioning anywhere around. Since the average daytime temperature at in July at Lake Mojave is 111F and the average night temperature is around 82F, it didn't sound like much fun, no matter how much time they spent in the water. And as for the encounters below decks with just a fan....

This would be an OK beach or airplane read, and I'll keep an eye out for the author's next book.

Profile Image for Vivian.
769 reviews8 followers
February 2, 2016
Nate and Kay have been long time casual summer vacation lovers for two weeks each year at an annual vacation at the lake with their friends. Year six rolls around, however, and Nate has changed the rules - he has decided to stop globe-trotting and wants a "forever" with Kay. Unfortunately for Nate, Kay is surprised by this and freaks out because she is deeply scarred by the history of infidelity on the part of many of her family members.

I loved Nate - he was so, so patient (too patient), loving, funny, steadfast - just a perfect guy. I can't say I loved Kay - I really can't say I even liked her. She was conflicted and indecisive ALL THE TIME and I found this aspect of the book frustrating. She was overly protective of her mind and heart - although her body didn't seem to have a problem! Consider yourself forewarned - there is a lot of sex in this book which was not a problem for me, but may be for others who should not give it a bad rating because you didn't expect it!

The backdrop of the story - an annual summer vacation at a desert lake with a group of friends - was a wonderful bonus for me that I could really relate to - I spent several years boating on Lake Mead and the author's vividly descriptive and accurate writing about the landscape, the heat, the swimming and skiing, the campfires brought back great memories for me and others will enjoy reading about a place they may not have visited but can now see in their mind's eye.

Die hard romantics will find the quickie ending satisfying.
Profile Image for Bette Hansen.
5,049 reviews37 followers
September 19, 2015
An awesome book that is filled with emotion. Kay Browning is a free-spirited artist that enjoys living a simple life. She's had enough hurt and pain in her past. Noway is she going to put herself out there for more. Nate Quinn is a freelance photographer, traveling the world and living a carefree life. Every year for 2 weeks they meet up along with a group of friends at Lake Mohave. They've enjoyed each other and care for each other but things have always been free and easy. This year Nate wants more. He's ready to give up the carefree lifestyle and settle down. And he wants Kay by his side. Convincing her might be more than he's capable of.

This is a very well written story with a group of characters that will tug at your heart. It's one I highly recommend. I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Isha Coleman.
6,784 reviews130 followers
August 26, 2015
26 reviews1 follower
September 24, 2015
Clear as day is a nice book, easy to follow story with some heartfelt writing. I found that I could easily put the book down and pick it up again later. The story was easy enough to follow that you could walk away from it and return without much thought. However, since it was easy to walk away from the book it wasn't a page turner. The writing was well done, I enjoyed the character development and it was interesting to watch the relationship of the main characters develop.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Pennie Morgan.
1,979 reviews7 followers
October 10, 2015
What an intriguing book. First you have a couple you only see each other 2 weeks a year in July and sharing emails, IMs, and random phone calls throughout the rest of the year. Next, you have the man, Nate, who definitely has his head together and knows he is in love and the woman, Kay, who has many issues from her childhood she is not able to get past. This book flowed and characters were all so likable I felt as if I was camping along with them. I would be curious to see how things turn out in a few years for this couple.

**Received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**
Profile Image for Liz.
478 reviews24 followers
September 1, 2015
I enjoyed Clear as Day.... it was an interesting spin on a romance story. Kay has some serious phobias about commitment from what she saw growing up & Nate just took his time in breaking down her fears & proving he would be there for her whatever might come their way. The story did seem to drag on in some parts & maybe repeat the issue a lot but overall it was an awesome book & it had some sexy scenes which is always fun.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
14 reviews1 follower
Read
September 30, 2015
Babette James is a new author for me. I found "Clear as Day" to be a good beach read. Not many stories feature a girl, Kay, who embraces a "no strings" relationship, while her man, Nate, wants to settle down. The chemistry between Nate and Kay is as hot as their desert vacation. You could feel how perfect they were for each other. The supporting cast was great too. I related to Olivia so much I bought her story "Love Burns" right after. I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.