Start by marking “Legion (Legion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legion (Legion, #1)

Legion

(Legion #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  30,264 ratings  ·  2,668 reviews
"Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his 'aspects' are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing ...more
Published August 31st 2012 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Legion, please sign up.
Norbert Bicsi Book seems really short to me and it raises more questions than it answers. I'm about to read the second one, but to answer your question in one word,…moreBook seems really short to me and it raises more questions than it answers. I'm about to read the second one, but to answer your question in one word, no.(less)

·  30,264 ratings  ·  2,668 reviews

Patrick
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I've yet to be disappointed by any Brandon Sanderson story I've picked up, and this novella continues his winning streak.

This is a cool take on a detective story, and honestly, I'd be surprised if someone in LA hasn't grabbed the rights to turn this into a TV show. It's a show I'd love to watch.

I only have two quibbles with this book, and it only relates to the Audio version, not with the story itself.

1. There were only two tracks on the audio version of the book, each about an hour long. Tha
Khurram
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Brandon Sanderson as usual. Insanity, madness and genius go in hand in hand. There is a thin line between each of these and they probably more intersection between them them people want to admit.

Steven Leeds has been call all three. He is a hot property to be studied as he is for his services. When a world changing price of technology goes missing he is recruited to get it back. This is a detective story with a twist on the deductive principle. I really like the clever ways
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Reread as part of Sanderson’s upcoming Skin Deep, which will collect all three Legion novellas (the two previously published ones and a new, concluding one) under one cover. Heads up for NetGalley members: the "Read now" excerpt on NG for Skin Deep consists of this entire first novella, which is kind of nice. So if you haven't read "Legion" and are interested (or just want a copy), grab it!

Upping my rating from 3.5 to 4 stars on reread, because the psychological elements in this story are just s
Dana Ilie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Another story that is too short... Damn!!!
I enjoyed Legion. As always, I thought Sanderson’s writing was top notch and not boring. The imagination involved and the detail that went into each of the characters — Stephen Leeds as well as his aspects were astounding. Not only does Legion have a cool plot, but it also has fascinating, multi-faceted characters. Typical Sanderson though, and I definitely mean that in the best possible way.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(3.5?) My main problem with novellas is that too often my review consist of "way too short".

I love any Brandon Sanderson's book, so I obviously enjoyed this one but it's the first time I felt like something was lacking.

Super interesting premise and characters, I'm hoping that reading the second book will make it better!
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Kat Stark

2015 reads : Give me a flood of crazy people, 'kay?

Now, that was pretty awesome.

Wow. Stephen Leeds is the most intriguing and fascinating character I've read about for a very long time. Slightly disturbing - but in a good way, if that's possible, as he kept my interest with his multi-layered personality that we can't easily simplify. Now that I think about it, he gives a whole new meaning to the word multi-layered.

"The thing is, I'm really only the reclusive part. And maybe, admittedly, the
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

Brilliant. This is just brilliant. And cool. Very cool.

Do I really have to review this story? It's too awesome for words. You really should just read it.
“Your hallucination . . .” “Yes?” “Your hallucination has hallucinations.” “Yes.” She settled back, looking disturbed.
Brandon Sanderson I love you. The premise of this story is pure genius.
“I’m not a hallucination,” J.C. snapped. “I have state
edge of bubble
My first Brandon Sanderson book -if we don't count WoT- and I was expecting to be thrown into an epic fantasy world, for some reason. I hadn't read anything about it beforehand.

It went more along the lines of this;

And caused me to start the story, feeling disoriented.

It was different, well written and didn't feel rushed despite being a novella. I loved the interactions between the hero and his imaginary friends.

But... I didn't enjoy the story. *it's not you book, it's me* I am left with with no
Michael
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
I've been a big fan of Brandon Sanderson for a number of reasons. His excellent Mistborn (he really knows how to develop a magic system and kick off a story with a bang). His participation with readers (such as him stopping in on reddit), his desire to bundle print and ebooks, and for his excellent writing classes (which have been video taped and posted).

So when I heard about this short story I picked it up immediately and read it in a single sitting. It was nice seeing the humor of this piece a
Armina
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Armina by: Gavin

Buddy reading book #2: Legion: Skin Deep tomorrow November 25th with the usual suspects. :) If you still haven't read this one, now is the time!

4.5 STARS

One of the best opening lines ever: "My name is Stephen Leeds, and I'm perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad."

This was a hilarious read not less amusing than Steelheart hence the rating I'm giving it.

Stephen Leeds, a.k.a. "Legion", is a genius whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personali
Deborah Obida
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Brandon Sanderson, I love it and am not surprise because he is yet to disappoint me, I love all his books that I've read so far.

The world building and writing is amazing, perfect depictions of everything, The characters are cool too, both Steven and his hallucinations, can't wait to see what they do in the next book.

So he says, He thinks he is normal which is so not true.

“You
seak
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
With Brandon Sanderson, you can always expect something unique and well thought out. It's not even a question. Well, maybe a bit because of that whole finishing the Wheel of Time thing...but otherwise, you can expect what I just said.

That's one of the best parts about reading Sanderson. Yeah, he's got great characters, compelling plot twists and stuff. But what makes him a pleasure to read is the way he makes something like epic fantasy vibrant and new. His unique ideas and magic systems become
Robin (Bridge Four)
4 I see Imaginary People Stars.

Quick Re-read before Legion: Skin Deepis released.

If that isn’t a great opening line to a story I don’t know what is. Brandon Sanderson is great at thinking outside of the box and congratulations again on coming up with an incredibly unusual premise to write a story on.

I really like that the main character is a functional crazy person. Sure he has hallucinations bu
Montzalee Wittmann
Legion
By: Brandon Sanderson
Narrated by: Oliver Wyman
Series: Legion, Book 1
This is a fascinating book about a man with multiple personalities, who is rich, and extremely intelligent. He is asked to help with a special project that is super awesome...to find it and the man who made it. Super intriguing!
The narrator does a wonderful job with this short novel!
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I am quickly becoming a HUGE Brandon Sanderson fan. I only recently become introduced to Sanderson a couple of months ago when I read Steelheart and I am starting to realize that I have really been missing out. This story was completely unique and entertaining. I love how different this story was from anything I have ever encountered before. This story is short but it is highly complex and detailed.

I decided to read this story becaus
Kaya Dimitrova
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
За първи път се срещам със стила на писане на Брандън Сандерсън и смея да твърдя, че няма да е за последен! Мистериозна камера, заснемаща личности от миналото, чийто собственик и изобретател е в неизвестност? Със сигурност случая, който Стивън Лийдс и „хората” му искат да поемат. Книгата беше напрегната, имаше достатъчно обрати, а за малкото страници действието се развиваше бързичко. Допадна ми и откачената нотка, която усещах, в следствие на шизофренията на главния герой и интересните и колорит ...more
Kells Next Read
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Your hallucinations has Hallucinations"

Well, Well, Well, this was such an intriguing read. It goes without saying that I love legion and his band of weird but loving personalities/aspects, that comes along with him. JC I must admit was my favorite. He had me in stitches.

This concept is amazing. The only downfall was that this was way too too short. I'm speeding off too read Skin Deep. I want more from these characters and Mr Leeds.

~~Sanderson Never Fails~~
Elizabeth Sagan
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Haha. Sanderson, you never cease to amaze me.
There isn't much to be said about Legion- it's just a short, funny, fast and interesting read. It's not mindblowing and it doesn't change your life, but it will refresh your mind. I think the best word to describe it is "cute". You can read it on a train or on a short flight and you'll be done with it in two hours easily.
(view spoiler) It was such a good idea. But we're talk
Tessy Ijachi
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've wondered for days and nights, trying to figure out where Brandon Sanderson gets his ideas from. He took a simple thing and turned it into a master piece that's actually less than a hundred pages. The first line I read from this novella was enough to make me very interested. This is by far the best novella I've ever read in my entire life.
Paige  Bookdragon
Why so shoooort?

description

Legion is a short story about Stephen Leeds who has multiple aspects.

I’m a Sandersonitis for life and when I saw this book in a book sale, I immediately grabbed it. (Of course I paid for it.) I know this book wouldn’t disappoint because it’s A BRANDON SANDERSON BOOK . His name alone is guarantee.

Although this book is only 88 pages (sooo shoooort), it’s still as awesome the way a S
Sh3lly
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014, 3-stars
Legion reminds me of Sherlock.

Legion has a "mental condition" and creates hallucinations - imaginary people with specialized abilities that help him solve things. This was a pretty good short story. I'm not sure I'd want to read a full-length novel about Legion, but this was an entertaining, quick read. There were a few really good one-liners. One of his hallucinations has hallucinations. It was fun.

Connor
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
My Video Review:

[3.5 Stars]

I really enjoyed this! I love meeting the different hallucinations and learning what their specialties are. I liked that this very lightly touches on holding yourself back and being in your own way preventing you from greatness. I thought that the plot suffered from the story being so short. There is hardly any struggle for the main character, so I wished we had seen him have to work a bit harder. We'll see how I feel about Skin Deep when I
Larnacouer  de SH
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epub-epub
1088 sayfa yaz okuyalım Sanderson bașgan.
Gavin
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've read this short contemporary fantasy novella multiple times and it is always an entertaining read. In this story Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,'and his multitude of 'aspects' are hired to track down the missing inventor of a potentially magical camera, which has the ability to take photos of the past. Stephen is a very likable character and he uses the knowledge gleaned from his various aspects to help him solve the case.

The best part of this has to be the witty banter between Stephen and his
Evgeny
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Stephen Leeds also known as Legion has multiple personality disorder. He would be a schizophrenic, but actually he is a genius, most probably the smartest currently living person. People ask him for help in two cases: either to study him, or to solve a very difficult problem - like an inventor disappearing with his invention and all related notes.

It is Brandon Sanderson. What else needs to be said? Good writing, interesting story. My only problem is that I could swear I read about exactly the sa
Phrynne
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Only eighty pages long but they are eighty pages of sheer genius! Brandon Sanderson is a truly remarkable author and to be able to include so much in such a short novella is amazing. Luckily there is a sequel already in print which I believe is a bit longer. I will be searching it out immediately to find out what happens to Stephen Leeds and his multiple personae.
Filiz
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hep derim ya Brandon Sanderson alışveriş listesi yazsa okurum diye yine diyesim geldi😍 muhteşemdi. Bu kez Cosmere ya da Reckoner Evrenlerinde değil de bildiğin günümüzde geçen bir hikayeydi. Onun dışında şizofreniyi bu kadar başarılı yansıtmasına da bayıldım. Tüm hayali karakterler harikaydı. Hayali karakterin de hayali karakteri olmasına diyecek söz bulamıyorum 😂 daha bir sürü bayıldığım nokta vardı Fakat kısacık kitap yahu okuyun bi zahmet😬

PS: Ayrıca şizofreni, çoklu kişilik bozukluğu ile fark
Miche
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again Mr Sanderson crafted a fascinating read!
Shayan
داستان بشدت گیرایی داشت بطوری که من همه ی کتاب رو توی یک نشست و برخواست خوندم
کتاب حرفای جالبی برای زدن داشت و با یک ایده فانتزی و علمی تخیلی به بحث های هیجان انگیزی راجع به مذهب و دین پرداخت ولی خوب میشد خیلی طولانی تر و جالب تر باشه که موضوعات هم عمیق تر پرداخت بشن
درباره ی سبک کتاب هم میشه جزو دسته ی فانتزی حساب بشه هم حساب نشه ولی بخاطر ایده اش مجبوریم تگ فانتزی رو بزنیم
Becky
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I scooped this one up quicker than lightning when I heard it was available for free on Audible. I love me some BSands. And this story did not disappoint, though it wasn't at all what I expected.

In fact, the first little while of the story reminded me a lot of a Joe Hill story. I love both authors, and both are men I'd gladly leg-hump in a flicker of a heartbeat were I to run into either of them on the street... or in a bar... or in their kitchens.

But I digress.

I love both authors, but they ha
Around the Year i...: Legion, by Brandon Sanderson 2 18 Oct 04, 2016 12:49PM
New books 10 141 Sep 11, 2014 12:20PM
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Dominion (The Coldfire Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Earth Below, Sky Above (The Human Division, #13)
  • Servant of the Crown (Powder Mage, #0.2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • METAtropolis: Green Space
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Night of Blacker Darkness
  • Engraved on the Eye
  • Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

Legion (3 books)
  • Skin Deep (Legion, #2)
  • Lies of the Beholder (Legion, #3)
“My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.” 73 likes
“You should know by now that I've already had greatness. I traded it for mediocrity and some measure of sanity.” 20 likes