Start by marking “Keeper of the Light” as Want to Read:
Keeper of the Light

Keeper of the Light

(Kiss River #1)

Diane Chamberlain, the bestselling author of The Midwife’s Confession, proves herself to be a marvellously gifted writer in this classic novel.

Dr Olivia Simon is on duty in a hospital emergency room in North Carolina when a gunshot victim is brought in. Midway through the effort to save the woman's life, Olivia realises who she is – Annie O'Neill – the woman that Olivia's
Published January 1st 2012 (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Keeper of the Light, please sign up.
Missy Definitely!!! It will make complete sense when you read in order.

Definitely!!! It will make complete sense when you read in order.

I started with the 3rd book and then realized it was part of a trilogy. I then started to read the first one and it started to make complete sense, correlating to the 3rd book I had beem reading.(less)

♥ Marlene♥
What a horrible book. I am sorry. A very weird love triangle, oops How do you say that but then with 5 people? ;) fiveangle?

I have read some of this author's books and I did enjoy some but this I had to stop reading.

The begin is quite interesting but then when you get to know the other characters (and they are all very unlikable!) it gets weird. Real weird and stupid.
Apparently everybody and their dogs loves this one red head woman. Men hate their wives because they compare them to her. Women t
Pauline
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I'm so glad I bought the trilogy.
I'm now starting book two.
Shaikha
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, this book is exactly what I needed!

The drama and the twists are TOO good.
Unpredictable; kept me at the edge of my seat!
Never thought I'd love and enjoy this so much, such a satisfying book. ❤

Keeper of the Light is a romantic fiction, but it’s embedded with lots of lessons that we can apply to work and life.
It’s a story about love, loss, betrayal, forgiveness and starting over. As I was reading this book my heart ached so bad.

The story plot is wonderfully paced and the characters are
Maureen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
This book is one of my favorites from Diane Chamberlain. An awesome writer! Highly recommend all her books.
Carol
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Diane Chamberlain novel I totally enjoyed even though it was just a little outdated (originally published in 1992). It did not, however, detract from the story as the 500 pages just flew by. Certainly look forward to reading more of DC's books!
Denise
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jodi Picoult fans
Recommended to Denise by: Readers at Diane's blog: www.dianechamberlain.com
This is the first book in a trilogy (other novels are Kiss River and Her Mother's Shadow).

Diane's books are always full of complex interesting characters, good plots, family relationships and drama, suspense and many secrets to be revealed in the end.
Jen
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not my favorite of her books but it was still a good book. A friend who recently read this said it was too long and I couldn't agree more. Overall though Diane Chamberlain writes damn good stories that keep you engaged and wanting more at every turn of the page.
❤Marie Gentilcore
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, series, 2019
I have yet to read a Diane Chamberlain book that I didn’t really, really enjoy. She is so adept at creating multifaceted characters and building her story layer by layer. The only bad thing about that is that it makes it hard to briefly summarize because there is so much to tell. Keeper of the Light was first published in 1992 but it doesn’t feel dated. And, I was really glad to find out there is a second book that focuses on Lacey O’Neill who was a young teen in book 1.
Lainy
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time Taken To Read - 1 day

Blurb From Amazon

As your husband grieves his mistress, You find yourself falling for the family she left behind. But she hid secrets that will destroy him...or you. Do you tell? I m going to die as punishment for all the bad things I ve done... You are on duty in the emergency room when, despite your desperate effort, the victim of a gunshot wound loses her life. She is Annie O Neill. The same woman your husband is in love with... Olivia can't watch any longer as her hu
Ann
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot even attempt to properly describe this book to you, because it is way better than even the description on the back cover of the book! Really, the description of this book is the bare minimum of what it is really about. Yes that is the main idea, but there is so much more to it! Slowly throughout the novel, connections between people, events, and places are being made. As I read on, I was realizing more and more the weaving of the characters and their lives. The only way I can describe t ...more
Denise
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.0 out of 5 stars -- Soap opera at the Outer Banks!

The one thing that can ruin an otherwise good book for me is the ending of it. I don't know why I am so picky, but that is the big thing for me. I want the characters to be people I can admire and whose actions follow that quality. I was really looking forward to this book as I have come to expect great stories and in-depth relationship development with a Diane Chamberlain book. As this was one of her earlier novels (1992), I can see how she ha
Liz
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping tale of obsession and betrayal. Loved it!
Meridith
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
too much sex, and it seemed like a soap opera
Sarah Convertito
Slow beginning, not my favorite book. Well written, but could have been a better story line.
Gina
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Book Club
Chamberlain spins an absorbing tale of romantic obsession and betrayal. Beautiful artist Annie O'Neill is known as St. Anne on North Carolina's Outer Banks for her selfless devotion to any cause that comes down the pike--she's even donated bone marrow to a stranger in need. Her murder leaves her husband, Alec, shattered. Also broken are Olivia Simon, the emergency room physician who tried to save her, and the good doctor's husband, Paul, who idolized the victim. To recapture Paul's love, Olivia ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]

I'm trying a new book review format. I just want to give you a short message on how Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain made me feel. And what better way than sending a postcard.

Quick Thoughts on Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain

Not many authors could have handled the complicated relationships without turning it to a farce. But in Diane Chamberlain's capable hands, it becomes an emotional and heartfelt story.  But be warned the
Darla Stokes
I absolutely hated this book at first. A married couple separates because the husband is in love with a woman who has died, and with whom he apparently had only a superficial relationship. He reminded me of when my daughter was about 12 and was "in loooove" with a boy she'd never spoken to.

But I can't NOT finish a book, so I pushed on. Surprisingly, it did pick up in the last half of the book, with revelations that made the characters make more sense. But this was accomplished by the heavy use
Linda
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I have mixed feelings about this book. I am surprised that it hasn't been turned into a movie because it is such a soap opera. If I could give it 2 1/2 stars I probably would have done so.

Dr. Olivia Simon is treating a gunshot victim who cannot be saved by anyone. The woman who dies is Annie O'Neill, a free spirit who is loved by an entire town. Annie can do no wrong as far as anyone is concerned.

However, no one knows but elderly, former lighthouse keeper, Mary Poor, what betrayals Annie has wro
Sharon A.
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-fiction
Chamberlain has an amazing gift in her ability to script believable characters, all whom have flaws, all of whom are sympathetic. This is the story of a love triangle (actually, more of a rectangle). Olivia is married to Paul, who still carries a torch for Annie, who is married to Alec. Annie dies and Paul leaves Olivia, who then begins a friendship with Alec.

Still keeping up? It's somewhat convoluted, but Chamberlain manages to keep it all in check, and honestly I wasn't sure what was going to
Judy Collins
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!!! I do not believe Diane Chamberlain could write a bad book – everything she writes is extraordinary! I loved the book and looking forward to reading the other two in the Kiss River series, as just purchased the next two Nook books.

My favorite characters were Olivia and Alec!!. Wow, did Annie have everyone fooled along with Mary, the old lady! Loved the setting the lighthouse, and the twists and turns which were page turners! Highly creative writer and each of her books are different a
Darby
May 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, drama-romance
This book was a very easy read. I really enjoyed the story and how it unfolded. I thought the characters were developed well. And the story had a really good pace. It was a page turn as I wanted to know more about the characters and the story that was unfolding. It is the first book of 3 books. I have the next two ready to read. I am sure I will enjoy them just as much as the first book and am sure I will enjoy other books by this author.
Kirstie
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club

This is obviously one of her earlier books. It's good but not as good as her more recent books. This is part of a trilogy and ive read the last one first! May have to revisit it now I know Lacey and Annie's pasts

This is based on the lies that everyone tells. They all live happily ever after but who ends up with who???? Annie certainly cast her spell on all the men around her but with devastating consequences
Heather Fineisen
Overall, a good read. The flashbacks were sometimes awkward but the storyline delivered and the characters were developed enough that I cared about what happened to them. I have heard good things about Chamerlain and since this is an early effort, I will definitely read more, even in this series. Solid.
Sue
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a tangled web the author weaves in this novel, excellent. I now can't wait to read 'Kiss River'which seems to follow on in the same area.
Michele Rodriguez (Hottendorf)
My review for this book may seem like a contradiction. On one hand, it took me a while to get immersed into the storyline and to feel attached to the characters, but when I did, I was fully in! With that said, I wound up completely unable to stomach Paul and couldn't stand to hear anything else about "Saint Ann." However, I'm sure that was done intentionally by Chamberlain.

But how can so many lies be told without no one knowing ? Not one person in the community? I do know that sometimes when we
Shelagh Rice
I did enjoy this book really a 3.5 but I didn't think it was as good as others I have read by this author. She veers away from her usual writing style and subject matter. If you like books where all the characters are keeping life changing secrets from each other this one could be for you. This is the 1st book in a trilogy and I haven't decided yet whether I will continue. The love quadrangle is a little unbelievable but it was an easy read perfect for light reading on holiday.
Louise Marie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably good! A must read! Perfect for the summer
Julie
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in 1993 and it's one of those books that haunts you until you reread it., and reread it again. It still touches my heart each time I delve back in.
Marissa
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book, but I’m a total fan of this author! Looks like part of the story continues in another book, so I’ll be looking it up.
Mrs Donna Souster
An enjoyable story with interesting characters and a good twist at the end.
😀
Dead 1 7 Dec 16, 2015 08:20PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 12, 2015 02:03PM
Sisterhood of the...: September 2014: Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain 10 15 Sep 05, 2014 12:13PM

• Hook, Line and Sink Him
  • All She Ever Wanted
  • In the Midnight Rain
  • The Four Seasons
  • The Kindest Thing
  • Happiness Key (Happiness Key, #1)
  • Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon
  • Winter Warmers
Diane Chamberlain is the New York Times, USA Today and (London) Sunday Times best-selling author of 27 novels. The daughter of a school principal who supplied her with a new book almost daily, Diane quickly learned the emotional power of story. Although she wrote many small “books” as a child, she didn’t seriously turn to writing fiction until her early thirties when she was waiting for a delayed ...more

Kiss River (3 books)
  • Kiss River (Kiss River #2)
  • Her Mother's Shadow (Kiss River #3)
“Olivia: "Were you aiming at someone?"
Alec: "...God, I think...”
2 likes