Start by marking “The Island House” as Want to Read:
The Island House

The Island House

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  932 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
In 2011 Freya Dane, a Ph.D. candidate in archaeology, arrives on the ancient Scottish island of Findnar. After years of estrangement from her father, himself an archaeologist who recently died, Freya has come to find out what she can about his work. As she reads through his research notes, she sees he learned a great deal about the Viking and Christian history of the islan ...more
Published June 21st 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Island House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Island House

Jackleen
May 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read Posie Graeme-Evans books in the past and found both good stories and good writing. This book had an excellent premise and a great potential plot. I am not sure where this story went off the rails, as this story had many of the devices I would like: set in Scotland, dual story line, ghosts, archaeology, ancient British history. The historical story line as often was more interesting than the modern story line, but it even seemed to hit snags. The plot somehow managed to feel both rush ...more
Juliana Haught
This story had so much potential, but the writing was - ick. The parts written in the past were the better parts of the book, but not great. The parts written in the now had the relationships developing inexplicably fast, with one-dimensional characters and cringe-worthy dialogue. This book seemed like it couldn't make up its mind whether it was an otherworldly story of spirit and historical fiction, or a dime-a-dozen romance. I think if the author could have really developed both timelines, slo ...more
Dale Harcombe
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by his story from the beginning.It's the story of two women and their lives from different times. Freya and Signy and Freya both live on the Scottish Island of Findnar. After Freya's father who has been absent for most of her life leaves her the island, Freya's plan initially is not to stay long , just long enough to finish her PhD but events conspire to make her decide otherwise.
Signy, a young Pict girl, lived on Findnar at the time of a Viking raid. Her whole family was wiped o
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Singy and Freya are living parallel lives on the Scottish Island of Findnar, but during different times in history. Singy lived on Findnar during the time of a Viking raid where her entire family was murdered and Freya living in present day came from Australia to her dead father's Island House to finish her PhD in archaeology and to complete his research and to find the many historical, hidden treasures on Findnar.

It was exciting to be with Freya as she uncovered items noted on her father's res
Mary
Freya Dane's late and largely absent father left her the Scottish island of Findnar, and in trying to understand his motivations, she explores his work and uncovers an archaeological mystery. Freya's story intertwines with that of Signy, a Pictish girl from the 800's, whose entire family was murdered by Viking invaders. Signy's ghost is unsettled, and she inhabits the island, coming to Freya in "visions" and driving Freya's search for the treasure trove.

I have a weakness for books set in Scotla
Jill
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Posie Graeme-Evans book I have read. The previous two, The Innocent and The Exiled were both set in the 15th century. The Island House, however, is different. It’s set in both present day and 800AD on the ancient Scottish island of Findnar.

It’s the story of Freya Dane, a PhD student in archaeology, and Signy, a Pictish girl. Their stories are beautifully woven together by the author to create a fascinating read. Freya searching for what her father did not find in his archaeolog
Helena DaSilva
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It was one of those books that I couldnt stop Reading... it took me one week.
I Highly recommend it
Bree T
Sydney PhD student Freya Dane receives word that her long-ago departed father has died in an accident off the coast of an island in Scotland. She inherits the island and its contents and finds herself longing to understand the man that she was long estranged with. She travels to Findnar, determined to learn more about him and his work and the reason he left her and her mother so long ago.

It appears that the island has an extensive Christian and Viking past that dates back to around 800AD and Fre
Anne Maesaka
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freya Dane a Phd candidate in archeology travels to her deceased father's house on an island in Scotland. While trying to deal with the death of her father, she makes several discoveries dating back to Viking times. There is a parallel story that begins in 800AD when the Vikings raid a town on what is now the island Freya is living on. A girl escapes the raid and her story is closely linked with what is happening in the present day.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This is another book with one story set in the present and one set in the past. There's Freya, a woman, who is looking for clues after her absentee father's death. Then there's Signy who lives in 800 AD who is trying to decide between religion and love. This book has a little touch of the paranormal too; which adds a little more interest.

Unlike many of these books that have both a past and present story, I actually liked the present-day story better. I don't know a lot about the Viking times tha
Book Him Danno
Freya Dane is a young woman lost in the world. First abandoned by her father as a child, and then with his death he leaves her again. Having hit a rut with her PhD in archaeology she essentially decides to give up on life (not suicidal, but rather she has given up trying) and travel to the remote island off Scotland that her father has left her.

In losing herself she finds herself. With this act of resignation she stops trying to lead the life she believes she should be experiencing and begins t
Christine Waugh
I really wanted to love this book...but I never did. I normally like books that go back and forth between the past and the present but this story started to irritate me. I did not like the love stories between Bear and Signy or Freya and Dan. Both seemed underdeveloped and unrealistic. I believe this could've been a great archeological suspense thriller...but it turned out more like a bad historical romance novel.
Ehbooklover
2.5 stars. A historical mystery with a touch of romance. An evocative setting kept me reading despite some very two-dimensional characters. Somewhat disappointing.
Amanda Alice
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! The setting, themes, and storyline were right up my alley. I'll be seeking out more of Posie Graeme-Evans' books.
Kerry Hennigan
The premise of this book intrigued me, and the hint at archaeological content convinced me to buy it. I like brooding, island atmospheres and links with the past too.

To the extent that The Island House contains all of that, I enjoyed it. However, I found it rather long in the telling, and about half way through became impatient to ‘cut to the chase’. When the reader can easily deduce what’s coming, it’s best to get them there without much further ado, or at least surprise them with some unexpect
Beth
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kind of book!!! The kind that permits one to look forward all day to an hour or so in the evening to be living in a different world. Perhaps I should say two worlds. One of ancient times and one of current days. Fortunately, the swing back and forth between the time the Vikings were living and fighting in Scotland and the the time the heroine Freya Dane, a PhD candidate from Australia inherits her archaelogist father's cottage in Findnar, Scotland works comfortably.

I loved the 800 AD story of
Cornelia
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the ancient past, when the gods of the Picts, the Vikings, and the new Christian religion vied for power on a small island off the coast of Scotland, springs the tale of a Pict woman and a Viking man whose lives came together during a tragic raid when they were children. The story of the struggles and separation their deep passion endures until they meet a tragic end, is mingled with a contemporary tale. After her father’s death, a daughter, embarks on a journey to discover what happened in ...more
Aimee
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posie Graeme-Evans has written an interesting story about two interesting women, Freya from the present day and Signy from the past. Both characters were interesting to read about and both story lines are blended together into this story well. The setting of a Scottish island was wonderful and I enjoyed reading about this beautiful country and its people.

The only real problem I had with the book was the relationship between Freya and Dan, a local man Freya meets. At first they hate each other an
BOOKAHOLIC
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Island House by Poise Graeme-Evans

“Alternating between present-day and ninth-century Scotland, The Island House is an intertwined story of fascinating discoveries and two women connected to each other over centuries."

This book had everything I love in a great story. It combined a good contemporary mystery and suspense with a historical thought provoking story with interesting characters and plot, even a feeling of the supernatural at times. I did really enjoy reading this book, and it could
Kathy
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posie Graeme-Evans is just an incredible author for sure. The Island House – combining historical and modern times – is the style of book that I just love. Signy, a young Pict girl in 800AD, Bear, the young Viking warrior and Freya moving from Australia to the Scottish Island of Findnar after the death of her father. I loved the story in the ancient past after the Vikings raid when Signy is pushed by the nuns living on Findnar to be Christian, and as only a small girl tending to the young injure ...more
Wendy Hines
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Posie Graeme-Evans and she definitely has my attention! I just adore a compelling tale that the real world just falls away as I find myself immersed in the story. The Island House did just that. Two different times are told but in a fashion that the reader can easily follow along. Freya and Signy are extraordinary characters, doing the best they can with the hand that fate has dealt them. Both have tragedy in their lives and both have made life changing choi ...more
Haley
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really hated her writing style. From the stunted, choppy, dialogue to the back and forth between time periods that made it hard to get into the book, and her lack of being able to paint a picture with my mind, either of the characters or of the setting, I found this book to be overall pretty lackluster.

Not to mention the hastily thrown in subplot at the end with Simon and Robert that really added nothing to the book. I really didn't find too many redeeming qualities about this work. In the inte
Linda
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freya Dane's dad disappered when she was a child, she has always hoped/dreaded that she would hear from him. But when he unexpectedly passes away and leaves her not only a house, but an island, she is drawn to explore it and discover what drew him away.
This book is written from the viewpoint of Freya in modern times and from the viewpoint of Signy, a Pictish girl who lived on the island a long long time ago.
Freya is an archaeologist and starts to search for the secrets of the island.
I really en
Dar
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book all the way up to the end, then was a little disappointed. Almost felt like the author was in a hurry to finish the book and just threw the last of it together. Not sure of the purpose of Simon and Buchan; if it was to add suspense, it didn't do a very good job. The book could have been just as good without either of them if they weren't going to be developed any more than they were. Also, I would have liked to know more about Katharine and her relationship with Michael.

Book defi
Mary-Ann Fuduric
Great idea for a book, horrible read. I read this for book club so I kept at it. I feel cheated of all the hours I spent on this book. The story line was predictable. The character names? Horrible! Signy, Freya? What? Did not flow in the story nor did all those fictitious locations. Flip-flopping between the periods horrible. Works for some books - this one, it was a pain. Honestly, I have never felt so cheated when reading a book. I am surprised how many stars some people have given which just ...more
Debby Zigenis-Lowery
For the first thirty pages or so, I kept debating whether I wanted to keep reading this novel. I found the omniscient viewpoint very annoying. However, the story had caught hold of me, and I kept going. The two main protagonists really hook you in as does the interweaving of the two plots. By the time I was halfway through, I did not want to put the book down.
Carolyn
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A time shifting novel between the present day and 800 A.D. Also has three ancient cultures,
Pict, Viking and Christianity. Present day people are Scottish, Danish and Australian. Very interesting and fun to read.
Liz
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved following both characters through past and present stories. I couldn't put this book down and found myself thinking about the characters and situations throughout the day. I would like to read more by this author.
Sherri Dub
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a lush tale of a Father-Daughter relationship, new love & archaeology with a historical twist. I loved every page. I savored this book, though I could've read it in one day. I am now a HUGE fan, Ms. Posie Graeme-Evans. HUGE!
Emily Freas
I really enjoyed this first book of Posie Graeme-Evans. It was an easy to read historical time travel type romance with glimpses into the past and wonderful present day characters.
  • Absolution Creek
  • Behind the Sun (Convict Girls #1)
  • Kingdom of Shadows
  • A Dark and Distant Shore
  • The Angel of Blythe Hall: A Historical Novel
  • The Lion Wakes (Kingdom #1)
  • Gather the Bones
  • Rivals for the Crown (Highland, #2)
  • Sound of the Heart (The MacDonnells, #2)
  • My Own Dear Brother
  • The Shadowy Horses
  • That Autumn in Edinburgh
  • Ronan's Echo
  • Abdication
Posie Graeme-Evans has worked in the Australian film and television industry for the last twenty-five years as an editor, director, and producer on hundreds of prime-time television programs, including McLeod's Daughters and Hi-5. She lives in Sydney with her husband and creative partner, Andrew Blaxland.
More about Posie Graeme-Evans

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Uncertain Season
  • The Odyssey
  • And After the Fire
    $11.49 $1.99
  • The House of Impossible Beauties
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Unsaid
  • The Wake Up
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House