Start by marking “The Manga Guide to Physics” as Want to Read:
The Manga Guide to Physics

The Manga Guide to Physics

(Manga Guides)

The Manga Guide to Physics teaches physics in an innovative way by joining real Japanese-style manga with serious and practical instruction. The book's story revolves around Megumi, a high school tennis star frustrated by physics class—and the physics of tennis. Luckily for her, she befriends Ryota, a geeky physics Olympian. After he's persuaded to help Megumi avoid failin

ebook, First Edition, 248 pages
Published March 2011 by No Starch Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Manga Guide to Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manga Guide to Physics

Eric Mesa
This Manga Guide has more of a story than the electricity one, but less than the calculus one. The style is very wacky - like a comedy manga and it reminds me a lot of Azumanga Daioh with all the digressions, daydreams, and general surrealism. It does a good job explaining physics, especially if you're learning physics without calculus. Like many other books in this series, it uses real world examples (primarily tennis in this book) to explain the principles and why a student should bother learn ...more
Rachel
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this idea- using the graphic novel format to teach complex topics. I've been following the rise of the non-fiction graphic novel very closely. I think they are brilliant teaching tools. They can reach students who might otherwise be struggling.
Maha Balouch
I adore this book. It made a subject that I look at as pure torture in a way that I can understand. Through demos, Megu learns from Ryota the physics of a tennis game that she wants to win so bad.
Concepts such as momentum, energy, work, Newton's laws of motions, velocity and much more was clarified for me. I'm so glad I read this.
I got this from a library, but I just might buy it for future reference.

Definitely recommend!
Raxilia Running
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Se quando andavo a scuola mi avessero spiegato i principi della fisica in questo modo, di certo ci avrei capito qualcosa di più, rispetto al modo stantio e confuso con cui il professore di fisica ci esortava a imparare a memoria le formule, senza riuscire a farne un esempio concreto lui per primo.

(Fun fact: il mio primo prof era un ingegnere così poco competente che aveva sbagliato le misurazioni per la costruzione di un nuovo palazzetto dello sport, che era stato lasciato a metà proprio a caus
Soobie's scared
Neanche un miracolo riuscirebbe a far sì che la sottoscritta capisse qualcosa di fisica...

È un preambolo necessario questo. Perché Soobie, cucciola, appena vede formule e numeri va in confusione. Il suo cervello non è fatto per questo cose.

Quindi, sì, per un po' sono riuscita vagamente a seguire le spiegazioni sulle leggi di Newton. Poi dal mio cervello sono uscite i proverbiali sbuffi di fumo e mi son limitata a seguire la storiella della protagonista e del suo insegnante di fisica. Ma è sempr
Sean
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
I actually read this book in hopes of suggesting it to read for my 9th/10th grad physics students. I thought the characters/drawings would be appealing. But I actually found the contents of the book more suitable for my 11th/12th grade physics students. It went into good depth and exploration of mechanics physics topics. This is a good supplemental text for late-High School or Physics 1 in college.
Jacob
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tackles a complex topic pretty well, and severs as a nice introduction to the subject of physics, specifically classical mechanics. If you're struggling in a physics class, I recommend this book.
Lynn
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun learning book for Physics, but hardly a textbook.
Parka
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
There are so many genres of Japanese comics that it doesn't come as a surprise that there's a series dedicated to teaching subjects that are normally taught in schools.

The Manga Guide to Physics is a great introduction to physics. It has a very simple but entertaining storyline, one about the lead Megumi trying to learn physics so that she can defeat her opponent in a tennis match. Compared to thick physics textbooks, it's certainly a more interesting way to learn physics.

The different concepts
Kam Yung Soh
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: physics, science
An interesting Manga-style book that teaches some of the basic concepts of classical physics.

At the beginning, one character has just been defeated in a game of tennis while being bothered by the physics involved in tennis. Another character offers to coach her in physics, so that she can defeat her opponent the next time they meet.

Beginning with Newton's Third Law (action and reaction), they move on Newton's Second and First Laws (on force, mass and inertia) and tie that in to momentum and ener
Anand Mandapati
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun way to re-learn the basics of physics (specifically statics and dynamics). I wanted a refresher after not having done anything with this stuff since college more than a quarter century ago. The book has a very weak, but sufficient, story to drive the teaching along. It covers Newton's three laws of motion, the basics of vectors and scalars, velocity, acceleration, force, momentum, impulse, and kinetic and potential energy. I wish it had also covered angular momentum but it's not too hard to ...more
Canesgalactica
While I think this book does a wonderful job of describing the concepts of physics alongside comics to illustrate them, this book falls short on fully teaching one about the mathematical side of physics (IE. if you lack a working understanding of trigonometry or calculus, chances are you will be really lost for good portions of this book where they go into detail about the equations).

Otherwise, it is good at illustrating the concepts in a way that is easy for most people to understand (visual le
Selena
Not much of a "manga guide." While there was a lot of information in the manga, there was a lot of pages that made me think "text book." The pictures were helpful and the manga helpful for the concepts, but for actually using the concepts for anything, you gotta rely on the "text book" pages.

And honestly, I found the muscle-men kinda creepy... No face. Just muscles. ...*shudder*
Yoki
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i did not finish reaiding it

but it is fun and relate physics to real life (specially sport yay :) )

and after the manga they give you more informations in details

the manga drawing is good and the story teller are good and fun

they even copied sherlock holmes and watson lol
Rachel
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I admit it, I skipped the textbooks sections ><. A very instructive comic though!
Mary
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little childish, but still more fun then trying to read an actual physics book over the summer
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
It rocks. That's all I can say. Anything that introduces physics to kids in a fun way is awesome. And it's just as good as it looks.
Lauren
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute and I learned a lot thoroughly enjoyed !!
Stefano Lodi
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saggistica
Fatto piuttosto bene, con una storia simpatica e tutto il necessario sulla meccanica di base (avrei intitolato "Meccanica" e non "Fisica").
Andrew Semrau
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does a great job of explaining physics, without ever boring the reader.
De Stewart-otto
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book that has my daughter absorbed in physics for three hours on a Saturday afternoon ranks at least four stars with me.
Daken Howlett
Semplice da comprendere ed estremamente interessante...avrei voluto averlo a portata di mano ai tempi del liceo...
Jared Hidalgo
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to start learning about physics
Houy
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book magically changed my perspective of Physics :)
Kristen Rose

• The Manga Guide to Molecular Biology
  • The Manga Guide to the Universe
  • The Manga Guide to Databases
  • The Manga Guide to Statistics
  • The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics: A Math-Free Exploration of the Science that Made Our World
  • Time Travel and Warp Drives: A Scientific Guide to Shortcuts through Time and Space
  • George and the Big Bang
  • Top 10 New York City
  • Python for Kids
  • Pantsuit Nation
  • Java for Dummies [With CDROM]
  • Harumi's Japanese Cooking: More than 75 Authentic and Contemporary Recipes from Japan's Most Popular Cooking Expert

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Manga Guides (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Manga Guide to Biochemistry