Start by marking “Pretty Girl-13” as Want to Read:
Pretty Girl-13

Pretty Girl-13

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  5,961 Ratings  ·  975 Reviews
Pretty Girl-13 is a disturbing and powerful psychological thriller about a girl who must piece together the story of her kidnapping and captivity and then piece together her own identity.

When thirteen-year-old Angela Gracie Chapman looks in the mirror, someone else looks back--a thin, pale stranger, a sixteen-year-old with haunted eyes. Angie has no memory of the past thre
Published March 19th 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Girl-13, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Danielle Cullen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mads I know this Q is from 2 years ago but adding for those who might be wondering the same thing: it leaves things to the imagination BUT if you have…moreI know this Q is from 2 years ago but adding for those who might be wondering the same thing: it leaves things to the imagination BUT if you have sexual trauma it is extremely triggering and hard to get through.(less)

Emily May
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was ok

2.5
Just to issue a quick warning: I'm not sure what is to be considered a spoiler for this book as everything seemed glaringly obvious to me but please don't read this if you'd like to be completely unaware of anything to do with Angie's condition (even though it is made known relatively early).

This book started very well but became more ridiculous with every chapter that I read. A number of subplots were introduced that did nothing but further complicate the story whilst actually being an atte
Kassidy
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is such a thought-provoking read! I can't stop thinking about it, I felt so emotionally captivated by Angie's story . I love the all the psychology stuff and the mystery. I love how raw and real it is! I do have to warn that it is disturbing and mature at times. This is just one of those books that will stick with me. The mystery plot line is slightly predictable, but still a crazy and intense journey!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Everyone needs to go and read this book right now. One of the most thought provoking, unputdownable books I have ever read. I'm sure this book will stay with me for years to come.
Giselle
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
This is the perfect example of a book you should go into completely blind. I did not read the synopsis beforehand (I think I may have months ago but I couldn't recall anything), nor did I even know the genre. I went in with zero expectation, and came out of it baffled by how it blew me out of the water!

Since I think everyone should do like me and go in without a clue, I will not ruin the moment for you either. But I can safely tell you the very basics without changing your reading experience: A
Deanna
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. I was so engrossed in the book that I had no idea of the time. I finally realized I should probably get to sleep as it was 3am and I hadn't stopped.
A tough and emotional read due to the themes it entailed but I was extremely impressed by the writing and delivery.

I have always been very interested in the subject matter (I'm not going to say much more as I really don't want to give anything away). I will say it impressed me how much the author must have researched h
Reynje
**This review contains spoilers, please read at your own risk**

I’ll keep this brief because I only have so much time I’m willing to dedicate to talking about books I didn’t particularly like and (view spoiler)

Despite the hook of the premise and strong, if disorienting, opening - Pretty Girl 13 is an uncomfortable (and I don’t meant that in a compelling, interesting way), mess of a novel. It relies heavily on the protagonist’s Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) and her ord
Leslie
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading a book about someone with Dissociative Identity Disorder!
I have to admit though I hated her dad and Greg and Yuncle! And the last three chapters.. WOW.
It was a definitely an interesting read! Very different.
Maťa
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prečítala som stovky young adult kníh. Ani jediná nebola ako táto. Napriek žánru je toto jedna z najviac psycho kníh, čo som čítala. Porucha rozštiepených osobností je fascinujúca a toto bolo spracované veľmi dobre. Bol to príbeh, ktorý ma naozaj zasiahol a určite naň budem ešte veľmi dlho spomínať.
Wow.
Odporúčam.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads
Want this pretty? Clicky here
Pretty Girl-13 is one heck of a ride. Psychological thrillers aren't really my thing. I've always thought of them as well...weird and just creepy. However, this book was surprisingly good. While it had flaws, Pretty Girl-13 is a refreshing and unique read!

Thirteen year old Angie goes on a Girl Scout camping trip in the woods. One minute she's walking in the woods, next minute she's walking up the road to her house. Three years la
Victor Almeida
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Uma abordagem muito boa sobre o Transtorno Dissociativo de Identidade (TDI). Já é um assunto que eu AMO ler e estudar sobre. Sou viciado em ficar buscando documentários, histórias e relatos. E esse foi o primeiro livro que eu li retratando o problema de forma mais direta e explícita. Apesar de ser uma leitura que me entreteve muito por causa do assunto, tiveram alguns defeitos que me incomodaram consideravelmente. Mas falo deles daqui a pouco.

Primeiro o que eu gostei: o mistério. O livro me deix
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Liz did her research and did it well. Especially during chapter 2 where she's being examined. Her writing is very easy, very fluid and you feel like you've been transported in Angie's world, forgetting about your reality. You're literally dropped into the mystery surrounding Angie and at first you're just as disoriented as her. There are different clues as to the horrors that could come to be.

Now I don't know about you, but when there's a problem to solve, my mind will fast forward with a milli
Katherine
Longer review to come soon after finals crush my soul on Tuesday, but in short...

What a thrilling ride and an amazing look inside Multiple personality Disorder, something to rarely discussed in the mental health world (or YA books, for that matter). I thought the author handled it very tastefully and obviously did her research. While I did think some of the main characters "other" personalities were a little far-fetched and not fully developed, overall this was a compelling read. Highly recommen
Wendy Darling
Fascinating subject, and a hard one to tackle for YA in particular. I've mixed feelings about some of the things it missed, so I think it falls somewhere in the middle of books that involve kidnapping.

Possible review to come.
Kelly
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
This started really promising and the further in I got, the more ridiculous it got.

So, in the preface, (view spoiler) as she went missing. (view spoiler) Angie returns to
Victoria
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so many things that there are an endless amount of ways to fully describe it! It is heart-wrenching, absorbing, shocking, enthralling, unique, etc.! I just absolutely loved it! Thank you to my friend Johanna for telling me about it, because I began it this morning and have already finished it. This is a memorable book that I think is so worth every second of the time spent reading it.
Ashley
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, physical-arc
BookNook — Young Adult book reviews

Pretty Girl-13 completely took me by surprise! This book is really heavy. It's dark, gritty, and deals with some seriously intense issues. I adored this book, but not in the usual girly, giddy, fan-girl-scream way. I adored Pretty Girl-13 in the sense that it really shook me to my core and left me speechless. It's an extremely sad and emotionally draining book, but it will leave you with dark and heavy thoughts that are sure to change you.

My biggest fear goin
Leigh
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kind-of-mess
Wow! This was a rollercoaster ride! I cannot say that "I can't put it down" because I started reading late yesterday and I was so creeped out that I'm sure to get nightmares when I sleep, so I had to stop. But when I woke up, a bright sunny day, I dived back in and then I didn't put it down. It's been a long time since I read a book this fast, less than 24hours, because I've been a slow reader recently. I didn't expect anything from this book, so the creepiness came as a surprise. I got a bad ca ...more
Kat Heckenbach
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm really not sure how to start this review. And forgive me, but there are going to have to SPOILERS here. I'll try to keep them to a minimum though.

I really wanted to like this book. The cover is so cool, the concept so intriguing. The structure had potential for real brilliance, too--the way Angela's other personalities tell their part of the story in second person and through notes they leave for Angela. But the potential wasn't met, and I found the story less and less believable as I read.

F
Elena
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
At times, this book was uncomfortable to read. Rather than being an exciting thriller about a girl's kidnapping and escape, it's about Angie's slow journey back from a three-year captivity--not a physical journey, but a mental one.

In the aftermath of her captivity and escape, Angie remembers absolutely nothing about the time that passed between waking up at Girl Scout Camp one morning and finding herself standing on her street three years later with a bag full of clothes that definitely aren't h
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
This was a really interesting and engaging thriller. There were parts that seemed very realistic and then other parts that were a little far out there and cliche but overall a really good book.

TW: sexual abuse, kidnapping, child abuse, and violence.

Review to come.
Kirsty
A very gripping and interesting book. I actually really enjoyed it, even considering the troubling topic of child abuse. The author did an excellent job of balancing the gritty realism with a hopeful undertone.

Angie is thirteen when she is abducted and kept captive for three years, after this time she returns home without any memory of the time passing, and not realizing she has aged at all.

Throughout medical and psychological examinations, we learn that Angie is suffering from Dissociative Iden
Jenni Arndt
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-ebook
Actual rating is 3.5, decided to go with the lower due to predictability.

What a riot reading this book was! I have to say that I was surprised to check Goodreads and see that this book clocks in at just over 350 pages after reading my egalley. I breezed through Pretty Girl-13 so fast that I thought for sure it would be in the 200 page range. A story that plays games with your mind and keeps you wondering what will happen just around the corner with every page, this is not one to be missed for su
Chanelle
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: out-now, great-read
On the surface, this was a five star book. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. When I wasn't thinking about it...well, that didn't happen. Too many books focus on the kidnap itself. The time spent being kidnapped. I liked that this looked at the after effects. I liked that it focused on Angie coming home. Because there's trauma there too. Different, but still trauma.

The book starts with Angie's return home. It's been three years since she was taken, but to Angie, no time has passe
Alexia
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I have had this book on my Goodreads shelf since right before I started blogging, but I’ve only owned a copy of it for a few months. I am honestly kicking myself for not reading it sooner because it had EVERYTHING in it that I love. It was the perfect example of a dark contemporary, which I love. Dark, horrifying themes throughout the book. Things that made my stomach turn. It was actually very reminiscent of All Around the Town by Mary Higgins Clark. That was another book I absolutely loved. It ...more
Wendi Lee
This book makes me feel very conflicted. It's the sort of novel that gets you invested from the very first chapter, and holds you hostage until the last page. Angie was abducted from a Girl Scout camping trip when she was thirteen years old. She returns to her family's home three years later, with no memory of what had happened to her. With the help of a savvy psychologist, Angie discovers that she suffers from dissociative identity disorder, and her other alters (or personalities) hold memories ...more
Whitney
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult

I really wanted to like this book, but I have read way too many true-life accounts of multiple personalities to be able to take it seriously. The plot twists were way too obviously foreshadowed, and there are major plot holes.

SPOILER ALERTS

(view spoiler)
brokenCrown
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been hours and hours since I finished this book, yet, I hadn't write a review. What could I say, which words could I use to say how much I loved this book?

The story was so interesting. I had nvcer read about multiple personalities but found it to be very interesting. The main character and her alters were so strong for going through what they both and all went through.

I also learned a lot about DID and found it very interesting. I'm also amazed by how human's brain can work and what it can
Jasmine (Jasmine Pearl Reads)
Book: Pretty Girl Thirteen
Author: Liz Coley
Finished Reading: May 31, 2015 (Sunday)

OH MY GOODNESS. NO WORDS CAN EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS BOOK. IT'S REALLY INTENSE. I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ALL OF YOU.

FULL REVIEW TO COME.
Grace
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TW: Molestation, and Sexual Assualt, Abuse, Pedophilia

This is a story I went into not expecting too much because I really never heard anything about it. I just know when I first joined GRs years ago I read the synopsis and really found it interesting. Typically, when you choose a book for your TBR list from years ago your thoughts and interests change.

But for some reason. I still wanted to read this and that is why when I saw it I bought it, that is why it has been on my TBR for the longest amo
Who has read this book? 2 7 Dec 05, 2015 12:45PM
The Very Omnibus ...: July's Book of the Month-Pretty Girl 13 2 3 Jul 01, 2015 12:26AM
Bookish Beauties ...: Chapter 20 + Final Thoughts 7 40 Oct 23, 2014 07:10PM
  • Hysteria
  • Bruised
  • 17 & Gone
  • Brianna on the Brink
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • Stained
  • Canary
  • Undercurrent
  • Uses for Boys
  • Premeditated
  • Another Little Piece
  • Notes from Ghost Town
  • Thin Space
Liz Coley writes fiction for teens and for the teen in you.

Check out LizColeyBooks channel on YouTube, hosting Undercover Reading. Currently Liz is reading her serial novel THE CAPTAIN'S KID, soon to be published in a read-along print or ebook edition.

Her latest series features Tor Maddox, a heroine for our times. DISARMED is a prequel short story, followed by the titles UNLEASHED, EMBEDDED, and
More about Liz Coley

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99