Start by marking “Redemption Day” as Want to Read:
Redemption Day

Redemption Day

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The terrorist to be feared is not one across the seas.

It is the one in your backyard; the one indistinguishable from your neighbors.

Redemption Day is a highly paced thriller set in Washington DC. The story is founded upon historical events
and documented teachings of the Posse Comitatus. The Posse was an anti-government militia group in the
1980’s that tried to convince far
Published March 22nd 2012 by A & N Publishing (first published March 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption Day

Jennifer (JC-S)
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
‘They believe that the state is unlawful.’

Nick James has just been fired as a terrorist analyst, and is about to become the most wanted man in America after Supreme Court Justice Silvio Caprelli is kidnapped on a parkway in Washington DC. A Sherriff is murdered, while he’s waiting to talk to Nick.

Who has kidnapped Justice Caprelli, and why? Who murdered the Sherriff? Why has Nick James become caught up in this? Is he being set up, and if so, who is setting him up and why? A taskforce is assemble
Grady
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
O'Brien always informs as well as entertains with his books

Steve O'Brien is one of those authors who gets an idea that seems a bit out of the ordinary and then works into the fabric of his novels so that not only does it work to propel his page-turner books, but it also teaches about something with which are not familiar. Reflect on his prior novels - `Elijah's Coin' and `Bullet Work' - and then prepare yourself for what for this reader is his strongest work to date - REDEMPTION DAY.

The story, w
L.A.
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Article first published as Book Review:Redemption Day by Steve O'Brian on Blogcritics.

Terror comes in many packages and for many reasons. Sometimes that terror exists in places that may not be as far away as those you read about in the news. It can often be one that is as indistinguishable as your own neighbors.

Redemption Day Steve O’Brien brings us a dose of danger and terror spawned here in our own country. When his protagonist Nick James is fired from his terrorist analyst government job, al
LORI CASWELL
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Supreme Court Justice Silvio Caprelli is kidnapped on a Washington D.C. parkway. The nation is spellbound as the airwaves fill with speculation that international terrorists are responsible.

Nick James is a contractor for the government or was until today. He is terminated due to the loss of funding but his day is going to get much worse. He finds himself between a terrorist group and the government. One side wants him captured and the other wants him dead. Nick believes the terrorists reside muc
Sheila
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Smoothly written, fast-paced, exciting and intellectually intriguing, Steve O’Brien’s Redemption Day starts with an attack on a Supreme Court judge and moves quickly to a young man on the run from terrorists and the FBI. The background of April 19th is nicely researched and presented as a convincing part of the story. The politics of Posse Comitatus, and the arguments, true and false, for common law vs State and national law, are as much a part of the tale as the procedures for tracking cell-pho ...more
Michael
The author creates a puzzle that the reader must try to unravel while at the same time being entertained by the action in the story.

Supreme Court Justice Silvio Caprelli is kidnapped by a militarist group called Posse Comitatus. This group is intent on creating a massive incident that will reshape the U.S.

Nick James has been a terrorism analyst for the government with extensive knowledge of Posse Comitatus but just prior to the kidnapping, he's fired.

Nick is called by a co-worker that a sheriff
William Bentrim
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Redemption Day by Steve O’Brien

This book focuses on the Posse Comitatus’s actions to precipitate a government crisis. It is an action thriller that has some horrific overtones.

The sad thing about this book is that harsh economic times can drive normally law abiding citizens to behavior as exhibited in the book. Nick James is a believable analyst who is drawn into criminal events he is ill prepared to face. I enjoyed the way Nick stepped up and found his moment.

The behavior of the villains is t
Chad Sayban
More reviews at The Story Within The Story

It’s just another day inside the Washington Beltway when Nick James loses his contract job with the federal government. But by the next day, he is the most wanted man in America as the FBI wants him captured and the terrorists who have kidnapped a Supreme Court Justice want him dead. Nick must try to figure out who is behind it and what they have planned before the terrorists strike and he and everyone else run out of time.

“The lead van stopped, complet
Heidi
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it

When it comes to political thrillers in the current marketplace, an author needs to step up to the challenge because there are so many great political thriller authors out there. In that respect, I feel that Steve O'Brien feel fell a little short. The story starts out with Nick James who is a contracted analyst for the Government who is fired from his job one day and the next is wanted for the kidnapping of a Supreme Court Justice. Nick James has to discover who is behind the kidnapping before t
Dana Burgess
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Many moons ago I reviewed Bullet Work by Steve O'Brien and, quite frankly, I wasn't fond of it. For some reason it just didn't resonate with me. When I was contacted to review another of his books, Redemption Day, the synopsis caught my interest and I decided to give the author another chance. Boy am I glad I did! Redemption Day is a hit! So for my review today, I am going to give you my Top 10 Hit List for Steve O'Brien's Redemption Day:

The set up. One of my pet peeves with political intrigue
Kelsey
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
When I read the synopsis of Redemption Day, I was intrigued. The Posse Comitatus, right wing militarists, has always fascinated me. Steve O’Brien takes on a journey of what if The Posse rises and sets into motion a plan that starts with kidnapping a Supreme Court Justice and ending with a city in the grip of terror from terrorists from our own country.

O’Brien’s main character Nick James is just an ordinary guy who has recently lost his terrorism analyst job at the Department of Homeland Security
Kathleen Kelly
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have read Bullet Work and Elijah's Coin by Steve O'Brien and when I was asked if I wanted to review Redemption Day I of course said yes. I was not disappointed either.
The Posse Comitatus is ) is a loosely organized far right social movement that opposes the United States federal government and believes in government on a local level only. They refuse to pay taxes or obey government laws. Steve O'Brien took the historical events of the Posse and turned it into an exciting story of murder, exto
stormhawk
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to stormhawk by: The Cadence Group
There are too many thrillers in which an ordinary guy gets involved in extraordinary circumstances and suddenly becomes a superhero. This isn't one of those. Nick James loses his job, and instead of facing the ordinary worries of how to pay for his rent and upscale coffee, though a combination of good and bad luck ends up in the middle of a conspiracy adventure.

Redemption Day is a thriller for the post-Waco, post-Oklahoma City, post-9/11 world. It reminds us that the most frightening terrorist
Denise Bryant
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story is almost too realistic to be fiction. Unlike many thrillers on the market today, I can say that the events in this book could actually happen! The threat from domestic terror groups is growing every day in this country. This book lays out one such plot. (I would guess the author was employed in the government at some point as the characters and their attitudes are just spot on).

Nick James loses his job with a government contractor. His specialty is domestic terrorism. On the same day
Kel
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I got this as a free book on my Kindle and the plot seemed intriguing. This book was slow at first, and I kept thinking about whether I would finish it. This month I decided to finish a few books I had partially read on my Kindle, including this one. I'm glad I finished it, because as you learn more about what is meant by "Redemption Day", it becomes both more thrilling AND educational about the mindset of militia groups in the U.S.

Overall, I'm realizing I don't really enjoy this genre about mo
Patty
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fast paced thriller/suspense novel featuring an everyday hero with lots of smarts. Nick James worked for a private agency that was part of Homeland Security before he was fired. He is an expert on home grown terrorist organizations.

A Supreme Court justice is kidnapped and Nick is set up as the perpetrator but the real kidnappers are the Posse Comitatus - the group that Nick has been following for the last three years. He knows they did it he just can't prove it.

The book begins with Ni
Linda B
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Home-grown terrorists are a real and constant threat in the United States. Redemption Day by Steve O’Brien brings to life the story of the kidnapping of a Supreme Court justice. Nick James is a Federal terrorism analyst who finds himself out of work and being drawn into the crime - possibly drawn in too far. Nick has to solve the kidnapping while at the same time he is being framed for murder. Top on his list of suspects is the Posse Comitatus, a militia-style organization who believe that the g ...more
Sam
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
To start off with I apologize for a late review but a first grandchild took top billing.
Nick James is a Federal Terrorism Analyst who is out of work and finds himself having to solve the kidnapping of a Supreme Court Justice. The drawback is that he is also being framed for murder. This is a fast paced read, a few times I got confused and had to backtrack, but all in all a good read. I won this from LibraryThing Early Review.
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Who or what was the Posse Comitatus? Was it or are they real? Read this highly interesting book to find out. I know I did. The suspense was intense and I had trouble putting down the book as I wanted to find out what happened next.

Rating: 5

Heat Rating: Mild

Reviewed by: Susan for MY BOOK ADDICTION AND MORE
Barb
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got this book as part of the early reviewers program on Librarything.com. This is an engrossing fast-paced thriller. I didn't put it down once I started it. Great read for those interested in terrorism and US politics.
Dee
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This should be a must read for everyone. It is a scary, cautionary tale. It will really leave you looking over your shoulder and wondering who to trust. The really scary part is that these people are really out there...
Eva
Mar 20, 2012 added it
My complete review can be found on my blog.
I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Therese
rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2016
Shelle Pennington
May 14, 2014
Amazon Kindle & Fire: Free for Kindle, April 15-19, 2012 1 15 Apr 14, 2012 07:10PM
Book Haven: Free for Kindle, April 15-19, 2012 1 11 Apr 14, 2012 07:05PM