Start by marking “White Space (Dark Passages, #1)” as Want to Read:
White Space (Dark Passages, #1)

White Space (Dark Passages #1)

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  1,363 Ratings  ·  375 Reviews
In the tradition of Memento and Inception comes a thrilling and scary young adult novel about blurred reality where characters in a story find that a deadly and horrifying world exists in the space between the written lines.

Seventeen-year-old Emma Lindsay has problems: a head full of metal, no parents, a crazy artist for a guardian whom a stroke has turned into a vegetable
Published February 11th 2014 by Egmont USA

To ask other readers questions about White Space, please sign up.
Sarah Johnson Yes, yes YES!!
Yes, yes YES!!
I gave it 5 stars, it was so good! Thriller and really creepy at parts but it pulls you in stronger than the Dickens Mirror (you'll see if you read the very first chapter, and don't worry, it's not a spoiler!) (less)
Maxine Van Der Donk A whole lot. And I mean, A LOT. That summary was just a tiny snippet of the story, and there's a whole lot more coming your way. I agree that the…moreA whole lot. And I mean, A LOT. That summary was just a tiny snippet of the story, and there's a whole lot more coming your way. I agree that the summary does say a little too much, and it does take away one pretty big surprise, but there are dozens of others. There might be a couple other reasons why you shouldn't read it, meaning it's kinda very confusing, but an amazing book nonetheless. (less)
YA Novels of 2014
1,547 books — 9,119 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,428 books — 15,779 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, arc, 2013
1.5
Goodreads ratings are going to drive me insane one of these days. Many times there have been books that I give one or two stars to and it seems wrong somehow. Because I don't mean "this book is terrible" or "stay away from this", I mean "I didn't like it" or "it wasn't my thing". And that's a bit like how I feel about White Space. I feel my rating doesn't say what needs to be said. I also think this book is going to be a real mind-blowing favourite in the hands of the right reader, but I know
karen
how on earth i managed to forget halfway through that this was only the first part of something is beyond me. but i did.

and i wouldn't call that ending a cliffhanger so much as a non-ending. and i don't mean that as criticism, although it sounds like one. were this not part of a series, yes, those would be fighting words, but since there is more to come, i will just say i was…surprised that it ended where it did, and it felt like almost 600 pages of buildup that left me a little stranded.

this ha
Mary
I received this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This is probably the hardest book review I've written in...ever. I loved the book, but there are some parts I don't like about it. I will tag all of my major spoilers, so no worries.

I've also never been one of the first book reviews for something, so I feel like pressure is on. So, if you can deal with me, this will be a rather tangled mess of a review because the book was a rather tangled mess. In a very good way.

I'm flopp
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
I tried. I really did. But, sometimes you come to a point when you realize you aren't reading a book for the fun of it anymore. I despise any DNF but this book is so damn long I cannot drag myself through any longer.

I have a few reasons for flouncing and since I did manage to get 45% in, I'll mention them. First off, the fact that the reader is dumped straight away in a world with way way wayyyyyyy too many made up words/objects.

photo What-the-fox-say-Ylvis_zps6ed0a84e.gif

Imagine for a moment if I said to you:

"I'm going to put my badonk
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

**This is a pre-review. Proper review to come later**

Thank you Egmont USA for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

I feel like I should point out that this book will have many many mixed ratings. I for one, have already seen a bucketload of DNFs and another handful of people who gave this 4-5 stars. White Space, is one of those books that start off really crappy and end so amazing you just need to sit down and
Tandie
Jul 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
White Space was terribly disappointing for me. It certainly didn't read like young adult fiction. The characters were the right age, but it was more like a super-complicated science fiction novel. I consider myself a fairly intelligent reader and I could barely follow the story. I found myself rereading pages, flipping back to reread whole chapters. There were so many different points of view, it made my head spin. New POVs were being introduced even in the last half of the book. The kicker? Thi ...more
Amber  ~ The Reading Addict
The Matrix meets Inkheart? Oh. My. God. Yes.
Bec
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss, read-2014
I copied and pasted the html from the blog post, so things probably won't look like they should. If you want to read this with proper formatting go to Ransom Reads

Major Selling Points:
Bookception

The whole conept of stories being parallel universes/people that may or may not really exist and the fact that authors pulled the characters and words from those different words onto white space was what really drew me to White Space. I wanted to find out how it worked, and the added mystery of "is wha
Isa Lavinia
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it

Lizzie and the Mirror

arc received from EgmontUSA through Edelweiss

Trigger warnings for this book: cutting, suicide and gore.

There are so many amazing things about White Space, but what pulled me into it was the narration. When it starts it’s narrated by a little girl: with a little kid’s linguistic idiosyncrasies and… I really can’t explain why, but it makes everything a hundred times creepier.

So let’s start: there is a little girl, Lizzie, a mother who dabbled in some really dark stuff, and a
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
White Space is a book for those who often end on the weird sides of tumblr/you tube and stay there for an hour or two.

I don't know what it is about Ilsa J. Bick. I love her long ass books. Every time, she convinces me to pick up the +500 pager and not to set it aside until I'm done. Most of the time I'm confused because she loves her mind tricks. But that's one of her charms, I guess.

White Space isn't for anyone as you can tell by the general book rating here on GR. It's strange, gruesome, bru
Annie
I'm not sure how to talk about this book because I'm not even sure what this book was.  I know that it made way too many references to The Matrix and Inception. One or two references is fine, but this just made me feel like the author was trying to hit me over the head with a "Hey, my book is like these movies!  Don't you dare forget it."  I know that this book creeped me out, and I know that the twist was cool.

The problem is that the first 300 pages make no sense.  It leaves you completely in
Liviania
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WHITE SPACE does not have a quick beginning. It opens with Lizzie, a precocious child, observing a conflict between her parents play out. This bit is filled with odd vocabulary and a strange magic, and just as soon as you think you've figured out the rules, a girl named Emma wakes up from her reverie about being Lizzie to recall how she came to be driving through the mountains. And so on, flashing though narrators and their stories and the way they come together.

WHITE SPACE is a disorienting exp
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library
I quit this book at 14%.

I'll be honest: there's nothing particularly wrong with this book. So it's getting a DNF rather than the 1 star I usually leave for books I don't finish.

I just don't think I have the patience to sit through 560 pages of POV jumping when nothing has made me particularly interested or invested in any character up to the 14% where I'm quitting.

Although I do appreciate the fact that the worldbuilding has given me no in
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

All the negative and DNF reviews intrigued me to be honest, and I really wanted to give White Space a good, hot go. Now that I’ve finished the book, I’m not sure whether to be disappointed that I ended up reading it or glad that I read such a unique book. Most of all, I feel confused and frustrated.

White Space is a combination of a psychological thriller, a gory horror, and a physics based mystery about multiverses in storybo
Richard Denney
Jun 15, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, must-have
This comes out on my birthday next year WOOT WOOT!! :p
description

And look at the motherfucking cover! my brain is experiencing multiple orgasms right now. I LOVE IT!!!!!
description

The synopsis also sounds amazing!! can't wait :D

Rose
Jul 28, 2013 marked it as to-read-arc-or-galley
This book has so many divisive ratings I need to bump it up to read for myself (and I still have the Ashes Trilogy to get through too).

Man, this is going to be a busy reading year. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this, though.
Crini
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at All About Books

I’ve never been so confused by a story like this one. That’s why I loved this one so much. The worldbuilding is fantastic and so detailed so that all these different parts of the story are hard to follow. This is a story you have to get yourself completely into. It’s not a story you can rush through and it’s everything but a light read.

This book is described as “Matrix meets Inkheart” for a reason. It is not only just as amazing, complex and confusing as Matri
Aimee Meester
WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS BOOK, OKAY.

I didn't have very high expectations for White Space, since I'd seen mixed reviews and heck, I picked it up 'cause I thought the cover was cool and I like long books and those hardly ever turn out well.

I was totally wrong.

One thing you should know about me is that I don't hand out 5-star ratings willy-nilly. The book has to work hard to deserve something like that. But any book that can be 550 pages long and border on being a horror book, and yet still ma
Adele
Aug 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know how to begin to describe this book. My thoughts both come up blank and, are all over the place.I found that while reading this book, some of it was really predictable. What really drew me in though, was the first page, in all its creepy glory. That drew me in right away. After that though, the book was really hard to get into and fell flat. I read on though and learned that there were multiple point of views.
I am so glad that there were so many point of views because, through
Bibliotropic
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(Full review here: http://bibliotropic.net/2014/11/07/wh...)

Throughout reading this book, my brain went through three different stages. First it was lightly poached. Then it started to get a bit fried. Then at the end, it was thoroughly scrambled. White Space is one of those novels that I say without a doubt isn’t for everybody, because it’s confusing as anything and requires twisting your mind in about 5 different directions at once and spending the majority of the book not knowing half of what
Lorryn Woodward
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2016-read, series
I didn't hate it but I didn't like it that much either. I've been confused from the beginning and I don't think I have any clue still.
Devon Ashley
Aug 17, 2013 added it
Recommended to Devon by: Buddy read with Glass.
2/17/14: DNF. 46%
 photo quit_zps024f920f.gif
Sadly, I just don't want to waste any more time reading this. I don't mind that it's strange, but I truly don't understand this world of Dark Passages and Peculiars and the Sign of the Sure, etc. 46% in and it's still freakin'confusing.
***********************************************************

Buddy Read with Glass.

2/6/14: I've been sitting on this ARC for practically a year now and I need to get to it already, but I'm not liking the high number of DNFs. Hopefully I can get th
Kristen
Jun 30, 2013 added it
Shelves: dnf
Why Did I DNF?
I loved that itty bitty summary; so much potential in those few words. I was eager to request and download this electronic arc and began reading last week. I'd heard some less than stellar things but went into it hoping for the best. I was immediately confused by Bick's writing style and tried desperately to pick up what was going on in the first chapters.

I began to get a feel for the story and was enamored with the horror aspects. But the more I read the more I had trouble really
Glass
Aug 06, 2013 marked it as dnf
Recommended to Glass by: Buddy read with Devon
DNF 10%

Not for me...
Albert
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
White Space (Dark Passages #1) by Ilsa J. Bick is easily going to be one of the best fantasy/horror novels I will read all year and the year has just begun!

Teenage Emma Lindsay has metal plates in her head, no parents and an eccentric catatonic artist for a guardian. But those are Emma's regular problems, her stranger problems come when she blinks away and drops into other lives and other times. Other lives that have Emma wondering which is real and which is not.

The Emma writes a story called Wh
inga
Feb 24, 2012 marked it as dnf
DNF

I am loath to but I can't help prematurely throwing the towel and abandoning White Space. I tried. I really did. I gave it an honest chance to wow me. Sadly, it didn't manage to.
Giving up on it especially pains me because I had been anticipating White Space for a while, and because I am always reluctant to abandon ARCs.

Judging by its premise, Bick's novel has everything going for it. To every ardent lover of reading, the concept of characters jumping between the lines of books must inevitably
Bethany Miller
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Several of my students read this book before I did and when I asked them what they thought, all of them said the same thing, “It was confusing” (See below for one 12th grade student's take on it). I decided to read the book to see if my superior intellect and extensive education would allow me to better understand it. After powering through 550 pages, I came to the same conclusion as they did. It was confusing.

There’s a lot of shifting going on this novel – shifts in time and place, shifts from
apollo
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
*Spoiler free

White Space is definitely not your normal YA book. I would even go as far as to say that this is not a YA book at all; the only elements that make it a YA book is that the protagonists are under twenty years old, but most importantly this book provides concepts and ideas few authors who claim to write for the teenage audience has attempted to bring into a story.

Pros

The characters are believably and likable most of the time, and the plot is interesting enough to make you want to stic
Chloe
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rating: ✭✭✭✭✭ (5 stars)

White Space is beautifully written, has a cast of characters I am in love with (specifically my darling Casey), and seriously messes with your head. But a lot of people will tell you it’s confusing. Which it is. But not enough that, at least for me, I couldn’t figure out what was happening. Also, it helps add to the story, because ALL the characters are confused and have no idea what’s going on. But, I will admit, there were some things that happened and I was just like h
Nara
One thing that I can say about White Space is that it's a major contender for the most confusing book I have ever read. Literally until the halfway mark (and this book is quite a hefty one), I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Constant point of view changes with incredibly short chapters and very random unexplained events had me in a state of perpetual confuzzlement.

However, another thing I can say about White Space is that it's a major contender for the most creative book I have ever re
  • The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark, #1)
  • Talker 25 (Talker 25, #1)
  • Take Back the Skies (Tellus, #1)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Mistwalker
  • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Wild
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Amity
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)
  • Salvage
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • The Taking (The Taking, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1)
Among other things, I was an English major in college and so I know that I'm supposed to write things like, "Ilsa J. Bick is ." Except I hate writing about myself in the third person like I'm not in the room. Helloooo, I'm right here . . . So let's just say that I'm a child psychiatrist (yeah, you read that right)as well as a film scholar, surgeon wannabe (meaning I did an internship in surgery an ...more
More about Ilsa J. Bick

Dark Passages (2 books)
  • The Dickens Mirror (Dark Passages, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)