Start by marking “Charlotte Street” as Want to Read:
Charlotte Street

Charlotte Street

Jason Priestley (not that one) has just seen her. They shared an incredible, brief, fleeting moment of deep possibility, somewhere halfway down Charlotte Street.

And then, just like that, she was gone - accidentally leaving him holding her old-fashioned, disposable camera, chock full of undeveloped photos...

And now Jason - ex-teacher, ex-boyfriend, part-time writer and
Published May 10th 2012 by Ebury Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlotte Street

Start your review of Charlotte Street
Alec
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Street, by Danny Wallace, was the next book in a couple of my ongoing literary themes. For one, it was the most recent of the "books I picked out randomly from a bookstore" subset -- my most cherished pastime. Second, as it turns out, this was but another in a long line of "angsty twentysomething male charmingly tries to put his life together" novels which I hold so dear. That series, of course, contains such gems as Twentysomething (creatively titled), Mammals: A Novel, The Beautiful ...more
Vikki VanSickle
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
This book was a novel version of a romantic comedy, but one of the good British ones, with a dry-witted, sheepish, bumbling narrator and an awesome ensemble cast (think Notting Hill). Danny Wallace is a funny writer, and though Jason (the narrator) makes oafish mistakes and can be a bit of a drunken lout, he is never mean-spirited and ultimately his desire to reinvent himself and do right is quite winning. Think of him as a male version of Bridget Jones as played by Mark Ruffalo with a British ...more
Reader, I Read It
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a book comes along where a reviewer has little else to say apart from those three magic words….just read it.

For Charlotte Street, Wallace’s debut novel, is one of those books which will hold universal appeal, cause enough embarrassment laughing out loud on your public transport of choice and will ultimately tug at the heart strings.

Jason Priestley accidentally is left holding a disposable camera belonging to a girl he helps, with bags as she clambers into a taxi, on Charlotte Street.
Donna
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I read this book when the Melbourne winter decided to grace us with two windless and sunshiney days, all synched up with the weekend. Meanwhile I was lying in bed with a head cold.

I discovered this book on the 'Highly Recommended' shelf at my library and who doesn't like 'a heartwarming everyday tale of boy stalks girl'?

A few chapters in, I was reminded of Nick Horby's High Fidelity, but with fewer insights. I really couldn't get into this book. Blame my grumpiness or the fact that
Aimee
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am an anglophile at heart so I jumped at the chance to read this book and I am so glad that I did. Danny Wallace has written a book that is filled with British humor, quirky characters, and an interesting story that kept me reading.

There were so many things I loved about this book. The idea of Jason helping this stranger, being attracted to her, and then finding he still has a connection to her through a disposable camera was brilliant. It was a great fun to read about Jason and his best
Hester Robinson-spoon
May 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Disappointingly boring
Ryan Sweeney
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Danny Wallace, is better known for his non-fiction books. In fact, Danny Wallace wrote one of my favorite books of all time... actually... that's not quite right, Danny Wallace wrote half of one of my favorite books of all time with his then-flatmate Dave Gorman. In case you're interested that book was called 'Are You Dave Gorman' and it chronicled a drunken bet between Dave and Danny which stated that Dave would never be able to find 54 people called Dave Gorman. Possibly the funniest book I've ...more
Natalie E. Ramm
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Jason Priestly (not the one from that sitcom that I’m too young to remember) is in a rough spot. He and his girlfriend have recently broken up for reasons unknown; he’s living with his socially challenged friend Dev in an apartment Dev’s dad owns; he has recently quit teaching to write mostly negative reviews for a free paper that no one reads; and has generally lost his luster. But when he sees this woman drop her bags on Charlotte Street he has an urge to help her. As he picks up her bags she ...more
Laura Armstrong
I think if I hadn't been reading this for a book club I may have struggled to finish. Wallace took far to long to get things going, 'things' got going 250 or so pages in, - by this point I worry the author may have lost quite a few readers...There were some amusing touches along the way and I quite liked the premise but I'm not sure this is as top notch as the author would hope it to be.
Ellie
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
There was a girl struggling with the door of a cab and her packages. And I don't know why, but I asked if I could help. And she smiled at me. This incredible smile. And suddenly I felt all manly and confident, like a handyman who knows just which nail to buy, and now I'm holding some of her bags, and she's saying "thank you" and then...there's that moment. And it felt like a beginning. But the cabbie was impatient and I suppose we were just too British to say anything else...

Jason Priestly (no,
Spencer Bowden
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
First off, this is my first review on Goodreads. Hopefully the first of many. So, to the book.

I generally enjoy this type of easy read fiction. This book is ok. I wouldn't read it again, but it didn't feel like a chore to read.

The good points: pretty easy plot. A quick read. I genuinely laughed out loud about four times; there is some good humour in this book, in places.

The bad points: several typos (maybe expect one in 80,000+ words, but I found at least five). I didn't like all of the ongoing
Michelle
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

The character is speaking to the reader, like he would a friend. He tells you the details of his story, but slowly and cautiously at first like you really would do with someone you were just getting to know. He wants you to like him but he also tells you the true story.

Jason's life is in a bit of a rut and he realizes that it's mostly his fault.
One day, just like any other, he is walking down the street and he shares a moment (really more like a few seconds) with a stranger.
Kenny
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Danny Wallace turns to fiction after a run of non-fiction featuring a 20/30 something man child embarking in some almost endearingly naive coming of age/getting it together japes. Yes man, Join Me, Friends like these - all were entertaining warm hearted and amusing. So a novel was likely to have fairly similar territory - and does. Naming the protagonist Jason Priestly (not that one) was, I think, to try to stop me calling him Danny throughout (not a total success) such was the familiarity with ...more
Thais Morimoto (tatakizi)
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlotte Street is very funny and cute at the same time.
As soon as you enter the story, the reading flows very well.
I thought the story could have been reduced a little. I loved the details that the author put in the book, but sometimes I felt I would never finish reading.
Jason is a realistic character. Everything that happened in his life, could be happening with the person next to you. Dev is my favorite character. He is a great friend and he is so funny!
I'd say to pick up this book you need
Angela
Oct 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this via Goodreads First Reads. Thank you!

I have tried and tried to make a dent in this book. Maybe I'm just too American because the "dry wit" is apparently too dry for me.

I kept wanting the story to change direction and just start following a different character altogether. The main character is boring. He's an observer, only he doesn't make very exciting observations.

It just wasn't for me. Despite my best efforts, I only made it about a quarter of the way into the book.
Margi
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book started out great and I was really into the humor and the story. Then about halfway through I became bogged down by the story and the humor was gone as well. The characters were intriguing at first as well, and then I found that I just did not care about any of them and I did not care if Jason ever found "the girl" I am disappointed as I thought this was going to be a fun, light read, but that is not the case.
Claire
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Yes Man. Then I started this and wanted to cry because it didn't have the same funny, easy, graceful style. If it hadn't been a book club book I would have given up; but I'm so glad I didn't. Half way through it slipped back into the funny, laugh out loud style I had expected and I really enjoyed it. Heartwarming and lovely.
Nicky Robinson
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Danny Wallace, and I love this book! It differs from his other books that I've read as it is fiction and not a true account of something that's happened to him. But as always, he drew me in to the story line, intrigued me, made me laugh, and captured moments of late 20s/early 30s life in London perfectly.
Jolien
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016
I mostly read YA so I was a bit hesitant to read it but I got it for cheap and the cover makes me so happy!
As this has a 30-something protagonist I wasn't really sure I would connect to him but I in a way I did. I really felt for him.
I'm too lazy to write a coherent review all I need to say is that I was pleasantly surprised and it was a great read!
Andrea Ellis
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy-drama
A best friend of mine bought this for me and I read it in two days!! As with Danny's comedy-docu bks this was funny and gripping n I could completely picture the characters and their habitats. Very David Nicholls esque of one day fame but just better and I can never run out out of great things to say about Mr Wallaces writing style-loved it. Charlotte st is right up my street!!!
Michelle
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fabbiest
Just your average story of boy stalks girl. Second time I have read this and I’m sure I’ll read it time and time again. I just love this book, it’s laugh out loud funny, there’s moments when your heart breaks and the cracks get filled with hope. I don’t think any female can read this without wanting to be ‘the girl’. Until the next time Charlotte Street.....
Mugren Ohaly
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I had lost hope in British writers. Danny Wallace is different though. I loved this book. I'm a hopeless romantic and a sucker for a good plot. This book had both. And the way he writes makes you want to keep reading. I never thought a cliffhanger would be possible in the middle of a story, but Wallace does it time and time again. Brilliant.
Andi
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always fascinated when men write love stories.
This was sweet, at times a little annoying, the ending was satisfying, funny, but not a core shaker. Would read his other novels though when I want something light.
Lucy Gibson
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Absolutely loved this book from start to finish - really funny, well written and brilliantly observed.
Ivan Magnus
Every once in a while I pick up a book that I haven't heard of and Charlotte Street is one of them. I found the plot pretty interesting, it reminded me of one of those British rom-com movies (i.e. Notting Hill minus the Hollywood celeb character). The book started good, it was pretty funny, I got hooked on the characters easily and was having a good time reading BUT it's 400 pages long, there were times it felt draggy, annoying and I just wanted it to be over. I think there were parts that ...more
Kimmy
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review copy provided by the publisher in conjunction with TLC Book Tours
Publication date: October 23, 2012

Here is the summary from the back of the book:

Jason Priestley is in something of a rut. And no, that that Jason Priestley. This is the 32-year-old Jason Priestley who gave up his job as a teacher to pursue his journalistic dreams – writing snarky reviews of cheap restaurants for a free newspaper that they give you on the train. He’s living above a videogames shop, between a Polish
Soho_Black
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: used-to-own, reviewed
In his early books, Danny Wallace was the new Tony Hawks, taking on silly challenges and recounting them in amusing ways. With "Charlotte Street", his first entirely fictional work, he seems to be moving into territory inhabited by Mike Gayle, that of bloke-lit. It seems a decent fit, as his book "Yes Man" had elements of bloke-lit, despite being based on actual events. It may have suffered from a twee ending, but it offered enough to suggest that this is a field Danny Wallace could work well ...more
Leah
When I heard about Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace, I was intrigued. I love the idea of a girl chasing a boy even though they don’t know who they are, but they felt that they felt something in that brief second when they met. Or, a boy chasing a girl, as this one is. Even the tagline drew me in: “A heartwarming every day tale of boy stalks girl.” Which is sort of true, really, isn’t it? If a girl chases a boy and develops her photos it’s most likely cute and romantic and warm and fuzzy. But if ...more
Vicki Littler
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny and readable. Holiday reading if holiday reading wasn't pejorative.
Cliff
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Many years ago I was a partner in a small firm of solicitors operating from the rather grand address of 1, Oxford Street - except that the address was something of a con as the building was right round the corner and definitely in Charing Cross Road. We had one main client, a Building Society long since gone in the financial upheavals of the 1980s. Each Monday we took it in turns to take the boss of the said Building Society out to lunch - to the then well known German restaurant, Schmidts, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• I'm Sorry, I Love You: A History of Professional Wrestling
  • That Was A Bit Mental: Volume 1
  • That Was A Bit Mental: Volume 2
  • Bend It Like Bullard
  • Rough Time in Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries #7)
  • Journal d'un corps
  • Death in the Mirror: A 1930s Murder Mystery (Poison Ink Mysteries Book 6)
  • Fai bei sogni
  • Il suono del mondo a memoria
  • The Place That Didn't Exist
  • Ces jours qui disparaissent
  • Saghe mentali 2008-2018. Il ritorno di un libro mitico
  • I Can Make You Hate
  • Murder in the Shadows: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 16)
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work
“I had it all planned. Or, not planned exactly, but I'd planned to make plans. Plans were very much part of my plan.” 18 likes
“What a terrible thing, I thought, to let a moment go.” 13 likes