Start by marking “Tougher To Love (Jasper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tougher To Love (Jasper, #1)

Tougher To Love

(Jasper #1)

The snow hasn’t even attempted to thaw when Ian’s life is turned upside down. His only sister is murdered, leaving him as the sole family to his 14 year-old niece. As an uncle, he’d been there for them, but he is clueless when it comes to actually seeing to Terra’s wellbeing. Muddling through, they become closer, healing together through the trauma, and slowly begin to fee ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Purple Sword Publications, LLC (first published January 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Tougher To Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tougher To Love

Gigi
Re-read March 2017 I really do like this one. Good re-read.

This was a re-read after reading it over a year ago. It is a sweet tale of MC Ian, a closeted mechanic, convinced love is just not in the cards for him since he lives in a small town and the pickings for gay men are few and far between. Enter calm, caring, beautiful MC Calab, who brings Ian's niece, Terra, to Ian's house after Terra's mother is killed. Calab is the new cop in town and he and Ian fall in love over the course of the book.

Hot damn, what's not to l
Vio
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sweet, lovely, romance, nice
A slow paced getting to know you romance this was a nice slow easy read! If you are in the mood for excitement plus this is not for you. But if you are looking for a tender romance between a hunky cop and a sexy mechanic with a couple of teenagers thrown in then this is it! Its not perfect but I enjoyed it!
Arthur
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing

A nice story about the experience of Ian, a closeted gay mechanics in his late 30s, who lived in a small town. One day, there's a knock on his door. When he opened it, his niece Terra was there, accompanied by a
policeman, Caleb. Terra ran away from her home since her mother's boyfriend tried to touch her. Ian asked Caleb to check on his sister's house, and they found her dead and her abusive boyfriend nowhere to be found.

Since then, Terra lived with Ian. Now and
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5
Sweet read, not much action, despite it beginning with the murder of Ian's sister and him taking in his teenage niece.
And even with Ian being 'deeply closeted' he didn't really try and hide anything with Caleb, so I personally found the blurb a bit misleading.
The murder plot was pretty much over on page 3 and even the big bigot Paul didn't add much drama, I liked the how it was 'resolved' except (view spoiler) ...more
Norah
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*sighs* were do I start, probably wishing this book didnt end. firstly a quick over view of the storyline. This is the story of Caleb , a police officer hard working, honest and in need of somone to love, and Ian the local mechanic , who after loosing his sister tragically takes in his niece and tries to get on with life best he can. Only thing is Ian has a secret, no one knows and thats defiantly the way its going to stay, Up until one very big very sexy blue eyed police officer comes knocking ...more
Amanda
*Insert big sigh*
Ya know, I liked the story. It was sweet and soft and warm. The issue I had is that every conflict that arose was immediately solved. It was just too easy. The MC has been in the closet for his entire 38 year life and basically hasn't had sex in 8. He lives alone and just recently adopted his niece after her mother died. Then he meets Caleb and falls in love. There are flickers of angst but as soon as I think the gloves are going to come off, everyone hugs and sings kumbay
Jaime
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-reads
This book was a breath of fresh air! The writing was great, the dialogue felt real to me and the MC were older and mature and didn't pussyfoot around with what they wanted. If you like a HEA in your books, this one has a great one.
Candice
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just have to say that I am a fan of Diana DeRicci's work.

I didn't really get the title or the blurb. For Ian being "deep in the closet" he sure was ready and willing. Sure, he wanted to keep private, but he wasn't denying the fact. However, Ian melted my heart. He might have been afraid, but he went at it with everything he had.

Caleb, well, Caleb is just HOT! He knew what he wanted and went for it. I did love how he actually cared about Terra in the beginning. I like how cops actually have f
Addicted2M/M
4.5
These guys are great. Strong alpha males with good hearts.
Caleb protects Ian and Terra with a fierceness I loved; he has a great relationship with his family and eases Ian into the relationship with patience and love. Caleb took his niece in without a moments hesitation, and despite his inexperience with parenting, he is very supportive with Terra, and doesn't fall into the trap of agonizing over every little parenting decision he makes as so many other books where the gay uncle unexpe
Cindi
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, m-m
Nice story though there were a couple of things that gave me pause. There were very few issues and those that were there were solved rather (too) quickly. It started out good and the relationship between Ian and Caleb progressed perfectly. Friendship first and then on to sex and love. I liked that a lot. As a parent myself I had a couple of "huh?" moments in regards to the way Ian handled a couple of things with his niece, Terra. Also, I felt that the Pete thing was not really resolved. But then ...more
Tj
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: have, read-2015
Didn't feel this one. It isn't necessarily that it was a bad read there just wasn't the drama or fireworks to it that I thought would be there.

The writing is solid, if a bit uncreative. Really for what was touted as such a big scary deal it was anticlimactic. I also had a hard time with the idea that the two MRS would move so fast from one point to another when one was so scared of living"out".
Shannon
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aa-recommend
I must admit to liking this book much more than I thought I would. I was expecting a fluffy, silly story but it was really, really good. Nothing fluffy about it. And some nice lovin' too. Can't beat that! Hot mechanic, biker guy and hot cop guy. Yum. :)
Jacq ~
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Just know this book was well over priced, for the length ... However, I love the cover it is totally beautiful, it depicted them to a tee! The story line is revolves around family -strength and love unconditionally.

Ps. The ending was absolutely perfect.HEA!
Chris
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: done, 2012, ebook, gay, romance
3.5 stars. Good m/m romance about a deeply closeted motorcycle mechanic who unexpectedly becomes the guardian of his teenage niece.... and fascinated by the cop who brought her back into his life.
Tailtiu
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lovebunny
Wanted to like this one so much more then I did, liked Ian and his niece is awesome! The writing just seemed really disjointed and hard to follow at times from point of views.
Nikko
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
A really romantic read... The kind that I liked!!!
Gali
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Not much angst so hooray for that!
Donna
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, love-bytes
When we decided on a Men In Uniform theme for this month, I went a bit crazy trying to figure out what to review. Firemen, cops, paramedics – how is a girl to choose just one book? I went with Tougher to Love by Diana DeRicci because I was sorely in need of a nice, comforting read that wasn’t going to leave me in angsty tears, angry tears or sad tears. I just wasn’t in the mood for a shit ton of drama, and this book was exactly what I needed to de-stress.

Small town mechanic, Ian, is happy with his life. He’s h
Phaney
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
2014 Re-read:

Cute. Well, more angsty than cute, but it still ends on that satisfied note. Sure taking its time with unravelling all the changes to the better, bit by bit, too.
So the romance was kind of sweet and slow, which I consider a good thing. There could have been less sex but what was there did not strike me as redundant either.
Overall, though, it was about relationship and personal freedom more than, uh, erotica. Whatever.

Ian and Terra especially make a touching
Sadonna
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, mm, pdf, cops
So I really liked the pacing and the characters of this story. Caleb and Ian don't just "fall" together. Sure Caleb is attracted to Ian, but given the circumstances of their meeting, he doesn't want to cause the guy any more difficulty - and he's not even sure he's gay. The patience and caring that Caleb shows for Ian and Terra is just so nice to see. Ian puts his niece as his first priority - and he'd never put his own desires ahead of her happiness. Somewhere along the way though, he realizes ...more
Andy
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a lovely story that I enjoyed. Good supporting female character and it is one of the better coming out of the closet stories that I have read so far. It really makes you think that although we live in a more open world now where being gay isn't any big deal anymore (depending on where you live etc), it still is to the older generation where they have had prejudice inbred into them at an early age and won't be changing their views as they grow older, they are too set in their ways. That also ...more
Abby
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Theresa
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Pros: The story was sweet and slow with low angst. Families were incorporated into the plot in a really nice way. The teenagers acted true to age. The plot pulled everything together into a satisfying HEA.

Cons: The MCs acted a little too girlie in some places. The sex scenes were too flowery and not that smexy. The writing style was clunky and did not read smoothly. This book had the feel of a new cross over MF writer.
Beck
★★☆ rounded up to ★★★

This was a fairly standard small town closeted man being seduced out of the closet for lurv ... I didn't rate it higher because there seemed to be parts missing ... there were these mini build-ups to drama which just fizzled out ... this isn't a bad read, just nothing to rave about.
CB
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this love story. Very real characters and I was glad to know there are more in the series so I did not have to say goodbye to them. Family oriented MC's, even though they would probably not describe themselves that way, plus they are sexy and they are both are the strong/silent type. Very entertaining!
Michelle
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Typical formula.. Started well with the MC taking in his niece after his sister was murdered.. then it just moved into the standard small town/closeted man meets new hunky cop in town.. Dragged out too slowly, to the stage where I skipped through to the end. HEA
Mirka
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maybe more like 4,5* but I decided I will only give full 5 stars to the best of the best from now on...the very good ones will get 4 and the good ones 3 ... yeah I know, no one cares...whatever...it was very sweet and there was a kid and a hot police officer...so check and check for me...
Simone
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Beth
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read the reviews from other people so I knew not to expect any suspense despite the fact that the book begins with a murder. This is a great little series when you aren't wanting too much angst.

• Always Hope
  • Irresistible (Something in Common, #4)
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1)
  • Mannies Incorporated (Mannies Incorporated #1)
  • We Danced
  • Last First Kiss (Southern Comfort #1)
  • Sounds of Love (Senses and Sensations, #1)
  • Hairy Harry's Car Seat (Lyon Road Vets, #1)
  • Rock Paper Scissors
  • Family Unit
  • An Earlier Heaven (Good to Know, #2)
  • Daniel's Dream (Men of Charlestown, #3)
  • Home (Home, #1)
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Jumping In (ALPHAS #6)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • The Trouble With Angel (Baseball #1)
Diana DeRicci is the sexy, flirty pen name of Diana Castilleja. A romance author at heart, DeRicci’s writing takes you into a saucier spectrum of sensuality and sexual adventure, where a happily-ever-after is still the key to any story.

Diana lives in Central Texas with her husband, one son and a feisty little Chihuahua named Rascal.

Jasper (4 books)
  • Second Chance Summer (Jasper, #2)
  • Finding Home (Jasper, #3)
  • Finding Family (Jasper #4)